Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KimotaBoom
Feb 8, 2008
Duck and cover. That's the first thing to do. Duck and cover.
So I stumbled on a video of Milt Priggee and Chuck Asay giving a lecture at a university. I haven't gotten a chance to watch much of it yet but if you've got some time to kill it might be interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q8P7NWMqmk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

See it's funny and not offensive because he didn't mention race, liberals

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Somfin posted:

See it's funny and not offensive because he didn't mention race, liberals

Reading level you indentify as _______.

Seriously though gently caress off you piece of poo poo hack Tinsley.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Spoeank posted:

Reading level you indentify as _______.

Seriously though gently caress off you piece of poo poo hack Tinsley.

Oh god drat how the gently caress did I miss that

I must have read "age" instead or something

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Is it just me or is this whole thing tacitly supporting gender and race discrimination when hiring by equating gender and race with the main qualification for employment?

Here's a hint :tinsley:, unlike your raging alcoholism, neither gender nor race has any bearing on a person's ability to do their job.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

xthetenth posted:

Is it just me or is this whole thing tacitly supporting gender and race discrimination when hiring by equating gender and race with the main qualification for employment?

Here's a hint :tinsley:, unlike your raging alcoholism, neither gender nor race has any bearing on a person's ability to do their job.

Aha, but don't you see- if he wasn't amphibian-American, Tinsley's very own cartoon duck wouldn't have a job!

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Is this like how Tinsley isn't a cartoonist but he identifies as one

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

xthetenth posted:

But, Racial quotas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIyewCdXMzkTaking out Jobs!:argh:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

This isn't over!

It's never over!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That duck is so fuckin pissed that trans people exist.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

KimotaBoom posted:

So I stumbled on a video of Milt Priggee and Chuck Asay giving a lecture at a university. I haven't gotten a chance to watch much of it yet but if you've got some time to kill it might be interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q8P7NWMqmk

I had no idea the two guys went to the same school.

Still fascinating. Thanks!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That duck is so fuckin pissed that trans people exist.
I wanna say "death is the only cure" but are there stories about old folks suddenly turning around and accepting the existence of things they didn't grow up knowing about?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Somfin posted:

[Traced duck speaking in white void] raises an eyebrow at this.

[A limo drives past. Inside, President Obama can be seen with his nose in the air. The rear bumper of the car has been grossly enlarged in order to make room for this bumper sticker]

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

BAC you identify with _________

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

KimotaBoom posted:

They're kind of like polar opposites: one is liberal and draws intentionally offensive cartoons to try and piss people off and the other is conservative but also draws even his enemies in a cute, pleasant style.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
We still have the option to not post Tinsley. Just saying.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wanna say "death is the only cure" but are there stories about old folks suddenly turning around and accepting the existence of things they didn't grow up knowing about?

I mean my dad used to be a hyperconservative Christian but now he's pretty chill and fully supports poo poo like gay marriage so who knows :shrug:

(I still have no plans to tell him I'm transgender though)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

majormonotone posted:

Is this like how Tinsley isn't a cartoonist but he identifies as one
I made that joke last week :argh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

majormonotone posted:

I mean my dad used to be a hyperconservative Christian but now he's pretty chill and fully supports poo poo like gay marriage so who knows :shrug:

(I still have no plans to tell him I'm transgender though)
What changed his mind?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
For question 19, don't some cultures consider the time spent in the uterus to be part of your life, and as such you're considered 9 months old when you're born? If so, "Birthdate you identify with" is a perfectly valid question.:colbert:

For the other three, questions 17 and 18 are perfectly valid, and so is question 20, even if it's phrased a little bit oddly. (I've seen it phrased somewhat close to that in a couple multiple choice surveys that I've taken, actually).

Welcome to the 21st century, Drinky Duck, you can't stop it, no matter how much you complain about it. There is always a solution though:

:getin:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's nice of Tinsley to try and introduce his readers to the concept of social constructions :shobon:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

My mom was a Goldwater Girl who thought JFK got what he deserved (probably due to the influence of my grandfather, who was a frothing rabid anticommunist and would no doubt be cluttering up my Facebook feed with poo poo if he were alive). Today she's almost as lefty as I am, worked the phones for Obama, is totally cool with LGBT folks, and watches Al Sharpton's show. So no, it's not destiny that you must get more conservative as you get older.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

FREEP! has gotta be intentional.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ceiling fan posted:

There's a Car Talk for biologists?! :monocle: Sign me the gently caress up!

And remember, don't transcribe like my brother.
And don't transcribe like my brother!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Selachian posted:

My mom was a Goldwater Girl who thought JFK got what he deserved (probably due to the influence of my grandfather, who was a frothing rabid anticommunist and would no doubt be cluttering up my Facebook feed with poo poo if he were alive). Today she's almost as lefty as I am, worked the phones for Obama, is totally cool with LGBT folks, and watches Al Sharpton's show. So no, it's not destiny that you must get more conservative as you get older.
What changed her mind?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

xthetenth posted:

I'm pretty sure one of the big centers of Muslim culture took till the 1900s to get its population back to where it was when the Mongols came through.

Baghdad? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Baghdad_(1258)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

What is this dude's loving problem with education? Seriously, this is probably my biggest problem with him. He won't loving move on.

Like, you hate education, we get it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's okay, I am pretty sure my father will go to his grave hating gay and trans people.

A major breakthrough, for him anyways, was realizing that a woman can still be conservative even if her son is gay. Although it's still a major failing as a parent.

:smith:

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

What changed his mind?

I have no idea, honestly.

Rorus Raz posted:

I made that joke last week :argh:

And Tinsley has made the same comic every day for decades. He doesn't even deserve original jokes at his expense

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Did he just find out about Tumblr or something?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I don't think you could fit a razor in the gap between this cartoon and that McCoy cartoon about the woman who "had her age legally changed."

Ceiling fan posted:

There's a Car Talk for biologists?! :monocle: Sign me the gently caress up!

There might be one, and I'd listen, but this ain't it unfortunately. TWiV started out as scientists chatting in their office and saying "hey we should record this, we're smart dudes and have interesting things to say." It's fascinating stuff if you want to learn about viruses, but I mentioned weatherchat and wretched puns as a warning, not as an advertisement.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Abyssal Squid posted:

There might be one, and I'd listen, but this ain't it unfortunately. TWiV started out as scientists chatting in their office and saying "hey we should record this, we're smart dudes and have interesting things to say." It's fascinating stuff if you want to learn about viruses, but I mentioned weatherchat and wretched puns as a warning, not as an advertisement.

You say this as if there exist biologists for which this isn't true.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Hong Kong toons

Anybody know anything about Doraemon? I have no idea what's going on here.

All these supplies are being bought up by protesters. The ribbon is a protest symbol.

The guys with the vests are anti-triad police. They've had a major presence in Mong Kok since last week's triad attacks on protesters.

And then something not political but I think goons will appreicate:

I'm pretty sure he was paid by the local PS group to do this as a kind of ad. He links to PlayStation Hong Kong's website in the post.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bloodnose posted:

I'm pretty sure he was paid by the local PS group to do this as a kind of ad. He links to PlayStation Hong Kong's website in the post.

I know Biohazard is Resident Evil in the English release, but is there any reason Crash Bandicoot, Dynasty Warriors, and Shadow of the Colossus are listed in Chinese while the others have English names?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bloodnose posted:

Slap a DEBT on the colossus and "male in a custody hearing" on Goku and you would have some Pulitzer-ready material.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I know Biohazard is Resident Evil in the English release, but is there any reason Crash Bandicoot, Dynasty Warriors, and Shadow of the Colossus are listed in Chinese while the others have English names?

Probably related to whether or not they got an official Chinese release. Or whether or not they got an official Chinese release in a timely fashion. Hong Kongers buy video games as soon as they can, and games come through the computer arcades here as soon as they're released anywhere. Hong Kong almost never gets its own localization, and China is dicks when it comes to video games, so it depends on whether or not the publishers feel like putting out a Traditional Chinese release for Taiwan. Otherwise Hongers will play the English release since most of them have some moderate English proficiency, or they'll go with Japanese. Lots of Japanese games use English titles, like Final Fantasy, Dragon Ball and Biohazard, so that increases the likelihood that they'll be exposed to an English name first, and long enough for it to get popular before there's a Chinese release.

Also it's a lot easier to type and say FF7 than 最終幻想, for example.

Dynasty Warriors has a Chinese name for obvious reasons.

But I dunno. I guess in the end it just depends on which language's name is catchier.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

I stopped reading this thread for like 5 days and he's still doing this. I'm not surprised, I'm not even angry really, I'm just incredibly sad.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Good thing there is already a Sexy Ebola verison!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Alacron posted:

I stopped reading this thread for like 5 days and he's still doing this. I'm not surprised, I'm not even angry really, I'm just incredibly sad.

We should retrace his most offensive cartoons on his grave every day in fresh piss.

• Locked thread