Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Seaside Loafer posted:

Are they blue?

They are for The people for pregnant women; cardiovas cular disease and apoplexia use carefully (Taking befor<after>breakfast.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Save water people.

Piss in the shower.

University students are being urged to urinate in the shower in a bid to save water.

The Go with the Flow campaign is the brainchild of students Debs Torr and Chris Dobson, from the University of East Anglia (UEA) in Norwich.

They want the university's 15,000 students to take their first wee of the day while having their morning shower.

Mr Dobson, 20, said the idea could "save enough water to fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool 26 times".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-29552557

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
If water is in such short supply, why don't they go after those bastard fishermen? They wouldn't need any if they just put wheels on.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I saw this and immediately thought of this thread:

http://samkriss.wordpress.com/2014/10/08/gently caress-stephen-fry-towards-a-new-theory-of-ghosts/

quote:

Stephen Fry is utterly (but sadly not uniquely) awful. He represents an insidious brand of unbearable bourgeois smugness: knowledge of useless facts and a fetishistic fondness for gin reconfigured as the instruments of class power. In Stephen Fry’s utopia, those nasty estates full of yobbos would all be bulldozed (if possible with the residents still inside) so lots of bunting can be hung on the wreckage and everything can go back to being simply lovely again. Anyone unaware of what a cummerbund is, or unable to identify which red wines go with a nice Brillat-Savarin (sirens blare! trick question! It’s none of them; the saltiness of the cheese is best paired with a malty pale ale) would be shot against a wall behind the National Gallery and have their remains carted off to fertilise a charming wooded dell full of flowers. He might have lots of little facts in that fleshy bulbous head of his – and might try to convince us that this makes him very clever rather than, say, a human filing cabinet – but this knowledge is never actualised in the form of a critique of anything. Whenever anything like critique emerges, it’s always predictably myopic. As his various pronouncements have shown, Stephen Fry can’t understand religious faith, or why some people might find hate speech offensive, or the basic concept of informed sexual consent. He’s an idiot, and one who marches at the head of a long column of idiots, all fanatically devoted to him. Local pub quiz champions, pipe smokers, grown adults who say ‘poo’. Never mind Hallowe’en: the ghouls already walk among us, every day of the year.

:allears:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
lol yeah Stephen Fry is a walking repository of facts and doesn't have a producer and director talking in his ear all through QI, it all comes off the top of his head there's no researchers or anything.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

JFairfax posted:

Save water people.

Piss in the shower.

University students are being urged to urinate in the shower in a bid to save water.

The Go with the Flow campaign is the brainchild of students Debs Torr and Chris Dobson, from the University of East Anglia (UEA) in Norwich.

They want the university's 15,000 students to take their first wee of the day while having their morning shower.

Mr Dobson, 20, said the idea could "save enough water to fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool 26 times".

Save a gently caress of a sight more water by not having a shower every drat morning (also put bricks/full bottle of water in your cistern, etc. etc.)

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

JFairfax posted:

Save water people.

Piss in the shower.

Back when I was at UEA I pissed in the shower every morning!

Also in the lake, and on the iconic ziggurats, and on Baron Foster's Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts, and on the law school at Earlham Hall, and on the Norwich School of Art after I got chucked from their snooty bar, and on both the roman catholic and anglican cathedrals, and one one memorable occasion thirty feet off the pedestrian flyover on Grapes Hill. gently caress Norwich.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

EmptyVessel posted:

Save a gently caress of a sight more water by not having a shower every drat morning

Agreed. Hygiene can take a back seat.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

I want to read a euphemism into this but I think pissflaps has coded it too well

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Having a loving shower every morning has nothing to do with hygiene and more to do with the modern (allegedly) developed worlds squeamishness around all things biological. I will laugh myself stupid when you all die from lack of immune system.

(As an aside, some of us - blessed with prepayment meters and out-dated boilers - cannot afford this level of 'hygiene' you speak of on our meagre benefits income. Guess the poors are a health hazard to you wealthy, superior 'cleans'. (Good!))

VVV The vast majority of humans alive now and historically do/did not wash daily and yet strangely the species has done fine, in fact so much better than fine that we can legitimately be called a pest. Weird eh?

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 9, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

EmptyVessel posted:

Save a gently caress of a sight more water by not having a shower every drat morning (also put bricks/full bottle of water in your cistern, etc. etc.)

You are aware that not every shower has to be a Hollywood shower, right? Like, you can have the water running for less than two minutes and still get completely clean.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

EmptyVessel posted:

:goonsay:

remember folks: a shower before, and ideally afterwards.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

EmptyVessel posted:

Having a loving shower every morning has nothing to do with hygiene and more to do with the modern (allegedly) developed worlds squeamishness around all things biological. I will laugh myself stupid when you all die from lack of immune system.

(As an aside, some of us - blessed with prepayment meters and out-dated boilers - cannot afford this level of 'hygiene' you speak of on our meagre benefits income. Guess the poors are a health hazard to you wealthy, superior 'cleans'. (Good!))

You're going to end up with one of those arse crack fistulas that only goons seem to get.

Trust me: you smell.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I don't know how people manage these short showers. I'm not actually awake until after at least five minutes of being blasted with water.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Renaissance Robot posted:

They are for The people for pregnant women; cardiovas cular disease and apoplexia use carefully (Taking befor<after>breakfast.)

Oh no I was joking you shouldn't have taken the pills :ohdear:

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster
It might not be biologically necessary to shower each day, but in terms of keeping your job and/or social life - you probably want to keep showering.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/09/uk-screening-airports-ebola-symptoms

A British person is suspected of dying of Ebola in Macedonia and the government are bringing in airport screening in spite of the WHO recommending against it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

lol yeah Stephen Fry is a walking repository of facts and doesn't have a producer and director talking in his ear all through QI, it all comes off the top of his head there's no researchers or anything.

Him and John Sessions are so smart!

ReV VAdAUL posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/09/uk-screening-airports-ebola-symptoms

A British person is suspected of dying of Ebola in Macedonia and the government are bringing in airport screening in spite of the WHO recommending against it.

Populism to the very hemorrhaging end.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 9, 2014

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Christ, you people genuinely do not know you've been born.

I used to do field archaeology as a job, which contra Time Team is frequently extremely hard labour (think navvying only careful). It was rare when there was even the possibility of a shower every day, once a week was more likely. Strangely, none of us every died of 'dirtiness'. Arguably we were fitter than most and happily drank, hosed and partied in fields with no ill effect from our filth when not actually doing the work. (We also pissed in the undergrowth and on some sites (the horror, the horror!) poo poo in the woods (NB:There is a trick to this that does not involve the little paper nest of the shite-bird with its unpleasant eggs. See here.)

All of your ancestors, without exception did similar - why are you so ashamed of your past?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Just the London airports though. Good to know where their priorities are.

EmptyVessel posted:

I used to do field archaeology as a job, which contra Time Team is frequently extremely hard labour (think navvying only careful). It was rare when there was even the possibility of a shower every day, once a week was more likely. Strangely, none of us every died of 'dirtiness'. Arguably we were fitter than most and happily drank, hosed and partied in fields with no ill effect from our filth when not actually doing the work. (We also pissed in the undergrowth and on some sites (the horror, the horror!) poo poo in the woods (NB:There is a trick to this that does not involve the little paper nest of the shite-bird with its unpleasant eggs. See here.)

All of your ancestors, without exception did similar - why are you so ashamed of your past?

I don't think anyone said you would die from being smelly.

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009
I enjoy daily showers and I think any ancient society with access to hot springs would have been getting in and amongst it daily.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

EmptyVessel posted:

VVV The vast majority of humans alive now and historically do/did not wash daily and yet strangely the species has done fine, in fact so much better than fine that we can legitimately be called a pest. Weird eh?

I have shower every morning and a bath every night and I smell lovely.I don't think you smell very nice.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
You most likely smell of soap.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

EmptyVessel posted:

The species was fine, but until relatively recently individuals weren't.

They died young and stank of poo poo.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

EmptyVessel posted:

:lol:

e/ Nobody ever died from having a lovely hairdo either but by god I won't be caught dead wearing a bowl cut

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 9, 2014

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

EmptyVessel posted:

you were working outside with a load of people in a similar situation.

if you work in an office or are sitting next to people in a lecture theatre then standards of personal hygiene are a little different!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

EmptyVessel posted:

Wow you sure are getting all bent out of shape over other people having a shower

Carrier
May 12, 2009

I didn't have a shower this morning because I was late, and I feel very dirty now.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

KKKlean Energy posted:

Wow you sure are getting all bent out of shape over other people having a shower

You read reely gude.
gently caress it do what you like - my water's free anyway.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Sometimes if I have a day off without any plans to go outside or see anyone or do anything I won't bother having a shower.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

If you're only showering for five minutes how do you fit a wank in there?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

EmptyVessel posted:

You read reely gude.
gently caress it do what you like - my water's free anyway.

I thought you said you were on a prepay meter

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I thought you said you were on a prepay meter

Gas and Electric. Or do you perfume yourself after a cold shower every morning?

UKMT:A Strong Stench Of Lynx

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

HortonNash posted:

They died young and stank of poo poo.

I read a piece by Ruth Goodman where she said the worst thing about returning to the modern world after Tudor Monastery Farm was finished was the smell. She was used to sweet herbs and fresh air, and suddenly everything reeked horribly of cleaning substances. It seems most goons do too.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

EmptyVessel posted:

Gas and Electric. Or do you perfume yourself after a cold shower every morning?

UKMT:A Strong Stench Of Lynx

I have a cold shower on a morning, yeah.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

namesake posted:

If you're only showering for five minutes how do you fit a wank in there?

You should save water by wanking into the sink

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009

Oh dear me posted:

I read a piece by Ruth Goodman where she said the worst thing about returning to the modern world after Tudor Monastery Farm was finished was the smell. She was used to sweet herbs and fresh air, and suddenly everything reeked horribly of cleaning substances. It seems most goons do too.

I too long for the days when there was sweet herbs, fresh air, and a life expectancy of 35.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't believe in water conservation.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Aromatic Stretch posted:

I too long for the days when there was sweet herbs, fresh air, and a life expectancy of 35.

Life expectancy before the modern age is heavily skewed downwards due to the massive rate of infant mortality. If you lived past 5 you could easily expect to live to be 50 or older.

A lovely 50 years of malnutrition, illiteracy and hard labour, but 50 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I don't believe in water conservation.

How very modern of you. Well done!

E:Loving that Hobbes seems to be the go to source about the past ITT. Finger on the pulse right there alright.

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 9, 2014

• Locked thread