Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

chumbler posted:

Honestly that's about the closest to a positive review you can get in that series for something made by Nintendo and not named Wind Waker or Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. The criticisms are valid and more to do with the Dynasty Warriors type of game as a whole, which he all but outright states is largely a matter of taste, and the more game-specific ones are similar to ones noted in here as well (for example the usefulness of items being not readily apparent). And that he actually says that he in some manner enjoyed the story is noteworthy, and while the story may not be entirely self-aware, it very much does not take itself seriously, so some laughs at its expense are to be expected.

On the other hand, Yahtzee is a piece of poo poo who's paid to punch down at video games, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Lizard Wizard posted:

On the other hand, Yahtzee is a piece of poo poo who's paid to punch down at video games, so.

Still not paid as much as PewDiePie.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

I do kinda feel sorry for the guy, to be honest. I feel like he's trapped in his gimmick; his angry videos are so much more popular than the ones where he likes the game I wouldn't be surprised if he gets pressure from Escapist to just shred everything (especially since he's pretty much Escapist has going for it).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

I do kinda feel sorry for the guy, to be honest.

Don't be. He's published two decently-selling novels complete with merch and audiobooks and he runs an actual adult-person business when he's not being mad about video games. Unlike a lot of Internet critics, he's got enough other, more stable projects to the point where he doesn't live or die by his opinion pieces.

He probably just reviewed Hyrule Warriors as a way to pad out the time before Shadows of Mordor or whatever else he's going to hit next, his Nintendo reviews write themselves and it takes a certain kind of mental patient (like meeeee) to enjoy Musou games in the first place.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Apparently, characters all have different Strengths at level 99.

Ganondorf's is obviously the highest.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

chumbler posted:

The Imprisoned's lightning is actually what you want him to do, since it's your chance to really go to town on him without fear of damage since it won't hit under him.

Did not know this :eyepop:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

So what's the secret to using Zant? He seems horrifically weak to the point that reaching the time requirement for his rank 3 weapon seems downright impossible.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

a cartoon duck posted:

So what's the secret to using Zant? He seems horrifically weak to the point that reaching the time requirement for his rank 3 weapon seems downright impossible.

It took me like 15 minutes to figure out how his combos work (you can mash X in all of them to build up your bar and do a super long combo, but you have to hit Y before the bar overfills or you fall over like an idiot and lose your bar), when his bar is full his regular YYYYYYY or whatever combo deals bonus damage and seems to be one of the best in the game. His strong attack puts him in to a different stance where he can use Y to spin around like a maniac or X to shoot projectiles, both are pretty weak for anything but clearing mooks but let you do a full combo ending in X again since starting them with the bar full will cause you to instantly fall over.

My co-op partner used him before me and every time I would figure something new about Zant out I'd tell her and she'd just go "Oh yeah, of course he's poo poo if you don't do that." :suicide:

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
On the other foot, Zant is the most annoying for me to fight, since I don't think he ever reveals his weakspot until the AI decides his bar was full and he's gonna fall over stunned? This does not happen 9/10 times I fight Zant.

Prancer
Nov 17, 2011
The trick is to stay just out of reach in front of him when he does his combo attacks. That way he fills up his bar way faster, usually in one attack.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I haven't gotten to Zant's level 3 yet, but he seems pretty strong to me. I guess we'll see how hard that is when I find it.

For now my current goal is to finally get Lana's Summoning Gate since that's the last actual new moveset I haven't gotten to fool with yet. I just fought my way through the narrow path leading up to it (including doing my first Level 3 weapon mission - helloooo Sheikah Naginata) and finally reached one square away... and it's the level 13 Defeat Bosses. Whyyyy would you do this to meee

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I haven't gotten to Zant's level 3 yet, but he seems pretty strong to me. I guess we'll see how hard that is when I find it.

For now my current goal is to finally get Lana's Summoning Gate since that's the last actual new moveset I haven't gotten to fool with yet. I just fought my way through the narrow path leading up to it (including doing my first Level 3 weapon mission - helloooo Sheikah Naginata) and finally reached one square away... and it's the level 13 Defeat Bosses. Whyyyy would you do this to meee
I just did that. It's Shiek, so it's easy. You can constantly refill your Special bar with her light song, and give her a shield with her water song.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fritzler posted:

I just did that. It's Shiek, so it's easy. You can constantly refill your Special bar with her light song, and give her a shield with her water song.

Oh. Yeah. Okay that was actually extremely easy after all.

E: And Lana's Summoning gate is amazing. Both it and the Great Fairy are absolutely fantastic gimmick final weapons to unlock. And Lana singing the Zelda theme song is the best part.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 10, 2014

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
This thread has been great for advice on combos and characters! Decided to play all the way through Legend Mode before touching Adventure Mode, now that I'm working my way through it has there been any good compilation on where to use Item cards? Haven't played the original Legend of Zelda since the NES days - although I still remember a few locations I don't know all of them. It's my understanding that you can grind for the Item Cards by beating an adjacent level to refresh the item and then beating the level again to get it, but that seems tedious.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there some trick to dealing with the Cucco's in Girahim's level 2 weapon fight? He has a ton of AoE so you're virtually guaranteed to piss it off, and he has a lot of pauses in his combos so he sucks at fighting them.

Another Girahim question, is his tether gimmick worth it? All it seems to do is let you do a ranged attack with nothing-to-write-home-about damage.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there some trick to dealing with the Cucco's in Girahim's level 2 weapon fight? He has a ton of AoE so you're virtually guaranteed to piss it off, and he has a lot of pauses in his combos so he sucks at fighting them.

Another Girahim question, is his tether gimmick worth it? All it seems to do is let you do a ranged attack with nothing-to-write-home-about damage.

It seems to be pretty useless to me, yeah.

The trick with the Cuccos in that level is really just to murder them. Use his ton of AOE to your advantage to keep them constantly stunned until the gold one and most of his allies are dead. It'll rack up your kill count for the level really quickly too so you won't need to waste too much time capturing optional keeps.

Specifically BBBBY is his bread and butter for huge crowds since it has minimal pauses and will lift the entire flock up at once and slam them down for a good amount of damage.

CatsPajamas posted:

This thread has been great for advice on combos and characters! Decided to play all the way through Legend Mode before touching Adventure Mode, now that I'm working my way through it has there been any good compilation on where to use Item cards? Haven't played the original Legend of Zelda since the NES days - although I still remember a few locations I don't know all of them. It's my understanding that you can grind for the Item Cards by beating an adjacent level to refresh the item and then beating the level again to get it, but that seems tedious.

Just use the map of the original game: http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/563433-the-legend-of-zelda/faqs/12694

This will cover you for everything except a few of the power bracelet things, so just use a compass in that case.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 10, 2014

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Ghirahim's combo finishers are different if he has the tether up, kind of like Zelda and her light charges.

Also Zant's spinning attack is great because enemy commanders seem powerless to block it, much like his combo finishers, so they just get swept up in it and juggled for the duration. Between that and his BBBY belly-flopping attack you can be up against several strong enemies and just wreck them without them getting a chance to do anything to you.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Regy Rusty posted:

Just use the map of the original game: http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/563433-the-legend-of-zelda/faqs/12694

This will cover you for everything except a few of the power bracelet things, so just use a compass in that case.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Appreciate it!

Also, thanks to the person who recommended the bow for "All Attacks are Devastating" stages.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Somewhere in Nintendo, when this game was produced, there was a button labeled MORE POES and a button labeled LESS POES.

Some guy fell asleep on the first button, never noticed, and then shipped out a level.

That was how Link's Level 3 Gloves mission happened.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

Ghirahim's combo finishers are different if he has the tether up, kind of like Zelda and her light charges.

Oh poo poo I had no idea. Guess I've got to test him out some more.

Oxxidation posted:

Somewhere in Nintendo, when this game was produced, there was a button labeled MORE POES and a button labeled LESS POES.

Some guy fell asleep on the first button, never noticed, and then shipped out a level.

I think I'll try this next, it sounds.... interesting.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Oxxidation posted:

Get back to me when you get to Ruto's Level 3 weapon. :suicide:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Oxxidation posted:

The secret to that mission is to never even think about hitting the strong attack button until you fight the end boss. Just do XXX combos and go after weak points and you'll clear the map easily.

Also ignore the Poes inside keeps, they have a lot more health than the ones that move around.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't remember which of you guys it was that dropped the network Link mission on my map that had nine loving ReDeads but I hope you appreciate whatever it is you got.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Vanrushal posted:

Get back to me when you get to Ruto's Level 3 weapon. :suicide:

I still don't have a clue how to do that mission. It starts off and you're flooded with like 30 loving Poe's and dinos, and they all have hundreds of thousands of health. It takes around 10-15 weak breaks to kill a single one, and you're catching so many things in each break that you're getting about 10 frames per minute and what the gently caress is even going on anymore.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Alternatively, bring a weapon with lightning+ and spam the lightning punch combo, because the poes are super weak to it and if you're knocking them up in the air all the time they can't go all bullet hell on you. The range on the lightning is surprisingly long, too.

Just don't even think of doing the pillar combo

Edit: slap Strength III or whichever skill it is that boosts that combo on there too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't remember which of you guys it was that dropped the network Link mission on my map that had nine loving ReDeads but I hope you appreciate whatever it is you got.

Was it me? I got a 50,000 rupee bonus tonight from someone doing a Link mission. :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Was it me? I got a 50,000 rupee bonus tonight from someone doing a Link mission. :v:

No idea. I just remember it was a level 50 Link.

Speaking of which, I still have not gotten anything from Linking. :(

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Honestly it's often best to just ignore any captains you don't explicitly have to kill, especially powered up ones. Dodge spam generally keeps you safe from them, and sometimes you can use them for weakness attack fodder.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

Honestly it's often best to just ignore any captains you don't explicitly have to kill, especially powered up ones. Dodge spam generally keeps you safe from them, and sometimes you can use them for weakness attack fodder.

That would have worked if I didn't have three keeps fall followed by small armies with multiple captains marching straight out right away.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

The secret to that mission is to never even think about hitting the strong attack button until you fight the end boss. Just do XXX combos and go after weak points and you'll clear the map easily.

Also ignore the Poes inside keeps, they have a lot more health than the ones that move around.

I finished it and the Stalchildren are honestly the bigger threat. Their attacks shear off 3/4's of a heart and unlike the Poes you often can't even tell when you're being hit. It seems the real trick is to make sure you're not fighting Poes inside a mob of Stalchildren, that way you'll at least know you're dodging properly.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

No idea. I just remember it was a level 50 Link.

Speaking of which, I still have not gotten anything from Linking. :(

Possible then, that's right where my highest level characters are.

The Network Links are a neat idea but I'm usually too lazy to try and tackle them since they've either been way higher level than me, or I've been focused on whatever my current goal is and don't feel like getting sidetracked. I guess now that I'm getting to the higher levels I should start taking on more of them.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Jeez Zant's level 2 was a pain in the rear end. First you deal with the bombchu's and that sucks because his combo stops moving forward halfway so you can't chase them all that well, then comes the flood of fatty's that you can't ignore because the AI can't protect the keep worth poo poo, and then there's that goddamn chicken that's dry humping your leg just asking you to accidentally hit him with your plethora of AoE.

But you know what? I did it. My reward? The level 2 scimitar. With 6 empty slots (after dealing with all of his lv.1 having a single slot on them each.) Now THAT, is a reward.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Suaimhneas posted:

Also Zant's spinning attack is great because enemy commanders seem powerless to block it, much like his combo finishers, so they just get swept up in it and juggled for the duration. Between that and his BBBY belly-flopping attack you can be up against several strong enemies and just wreck them without them getting a chance to do anything to you.

The spin attack is also great because if you're using it when you trigger someone's intro cinematic, he spins forever. Well, as long as you keep mashing light attack.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So quick poll, how many adventure stages have you had to redo because you forgot to use Search Jesus Christ not again

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Calaveron posted:

So quick poll, how many adventure stages have you had to redo because you forgot to use Search Jesus Christ not again

Definitely more than I should have. The search mechanic is dumb. I don't mind "finish X to unlock Y" conditions but the item card system is a really bad execution of that, because it inevitably ends up in me replaying those lovely monster quizzes to stockpile bombs and candles.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Well let me see, carry the two subtract the hypotenuse and it looks like way too god drat many

Not even mentioning how many I've redone because you have to use multiple items before you A-Rank the fight to progress to the next square.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Man, Lana's level 2 summon circle mission is pissing me off. No matter what I do the home base ends up absolutely mobbed by both forces so hard I can barely leave base. If I can manage to not lose the home base, I either end up taking enough chip damage from the million poes and stalmasters or take more then 15 minutes.

Two-enemy faction missions are seriously lame from a mechanics perspective: they get moral boosts when you kick one faction's rear end, but never seem to actually fight the other faction. Nor do they ever seem to lose the morale boost even when you start whooping them.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Actually the two-faction missions are the best because they're the only ones that actually make you pay attention to your captains and keeps and all the strategy aspects behind the game.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Flytrap posted:

First you deal with the bombchu's and that sucks because his combo stops moving forward halfway so you can't chase them all that well

Easy way to keep up with bombchus as any character is to just use weak attacks and dodge-run ahead of it when it gets out of range and repeat. If you have a character with a forward-moving combo like Link's shield charge or Fi's rush those work too though they may overshoot. You'll either kill the thing on the way to its destination or have whittled it down a good deal by the time it stops moving. They're not too big a threat unless you completely ignore them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Just use the classic Zelda map someone posted earlier and you won't hardly ever have to grind compasses again. Just have to know which item does what basically.

• Locked thread