Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eh, it's really disingenuous to say that people only like it because of Tomino hype. Hell, that's basically a backhanded insult to people that do enjoy it.

I love his style but if G-Reco was Brain Powerd 2 then I'd be among the first to call it bad and I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard.

Also there is plenty of evidence that this show has been thought out. AGE's plans were at best drunken scribbles on a napkin.

Srice fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

Eh, it's really disingenuous to say that people only like it because of Tomino hype. Hell, that's basically a backhanded insult to people that do enjoy it.

I love his style but if G-Reco was Brain Powerd 2 then I'd be among the first to call it bad and I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard.

Also there is plenty of evidence that this show has been thought out. AGE's plans were at best drunken scribbles on a napkin.

Eh. I think it's fair to say that people are giving it a pass on a lot of things because Tomino. I mean even a lot of criticisms of the way the characters act or the pacing have been met with "well, what did you expect from a Tomino show?"

I mean I'm enjoying it but I don't really buy that it would be a worse show if some things were changed and I do think the writing has some serious flaws.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 10, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

I think still this show is quite poo poo in many ways, but I don't really care at this point now that Good Gundam has started airing and I can just rewatch episode 1 of that each time I consider arguing with you guys.

Unrelated: It's really funny comparing the AGE thread to this one. I love Tomino very much (Zeta and Ideon are 2 of my top 3 favorite shows) but the Tomino hype in here is so high that the same criticisms leveled at AGE are dogpiled down in here.

The criticisms levied at AGE were rampant misogyny, since there was a grand total of 2 moderately important female characters that didn't make a baby and disappear and even then it was the third gen's captain and one of Asemu's buddies in his gen. They also had horribly boring fights pretty much the entire time, plot devices that were flat out abandoned for no real reason (Sorry, AGE Device, you were a cool gimmick), and mech designs that looked like they were lifted from Zoids. On top of which the entire story (Also poo poo) was penned by a JRPG director who tried to write it like a JRPG, right down to random encounters and a final boss, compared to Tomino, who's the creator of the franchise. The hype is a little understandable all things considered. Not saying it's justified, but I can understand it. Frankly I'm just excited because I like Bellri, Aida and Bellri's cheerleader buddy who's name escapes me are both growing on me, and the overall mech design really blows me away since it's really out there and crazy, and right now, that's what I'm in the mood for.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 10, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Don't you be hating on the Dragon mechs man. They were cool.

Except for the Zamdrag. That can screw right off.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. I think it's fair to say that people are giving it a pass on a lot of things because Tomino. I mean even a lot of criticisms of the way the characters act or the pacing have been met with "well, what did you expect from a Tomino show?"

I mean I'm enjoying it but I don't really buy that it would be a worse show if some things were changed and I do think the writing has some serious flaws.

Sure, but I feel like most of the people in the thread have been saying why they like those particular aspects it in addition to it being a Tomino thing. Though maybe I'd be more charitable about that viewpoint if it wasn't coming from Broken Loose and his hatred of rabbit ears :v:

Pureauthor posted:

Those dragon mechs were cool as hell and I wish they had Gundam designs that were even a little bit as adventurous as them instead of doing their take on previous Gundams.

Srice fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 10, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Oh no, I wasn't saying I disliked them, I just said they looked like they were taken from Zoids. Dragon Zakus are both cool and good in my book.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I enjoyed the first couple episodes, but I was still a bit skeptical. All the characters seem almost impossibly... laid back, I guess. Which is interesting, and it made me wonder why that could possibly be. The whole thing where an army was a new and strange thing for this country with the only working space elevator was interesting too. I didn't get the feeling that the reason was "it's a Tomino show, everyone is weird!" like some people apparently did. It just seems like they're not very professional or acting as a real-world military would. Probably because this country apparently hasn't been in a real conflict in living memory.

The third episode really cemented this as a good show, I think. A fun, goofy show, definitely, but also with a very compelling plot going on in the background. Thus far the compelling part is just figuring out what the hell is going on, but the rest of it is good enough to support that, I think.

I'm looking forward to meeting the pirate crew in the Red Base Megafauna next week.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Srice posted:

Sure, but I feel like most of the people in the thread have been saying why they like those particular aspects it in addition to it being a Tomino thing. Though maybe I'd be more charitable about that viewpoint if it wasn't coming from Broken Loose and his hatred of rabbit ears :v:

Fun fact: You guys have raised more poo poo about that than I have. Doubly hilarious because I was proven right in the first episode about them being a glaring flaw on the battlefield. (I also dropped it when it was proven that Bell could pilot perfectly fine while completely blind, which nulled my initial complaint)

TARDISman posted:

The criticisms levied at AGE were rampant misogyny, since there was a grand total of 2 moderately important female characters that didn't make a baby and disappear and even then it was the third gen's captain and one of Asemu's buddies in his gen. They also had horribly boring fights pretty much the entire time, plot devices that were flat out abandoned for no real reason (Sorry, AGE Device, you were a cool gimmick), and mech designs that looked like they were lifted from Zoids. On top of which the entire story (Also poo poo) was penned by a JRPG director who tried to write it like a JRPG, right down to random encounters and a final boss, compared to Tomino, who's the creator of the franchise. The hype is a little understandable all things considered. Not saying it's justified, but I can understand it. Frankly I'm just excited because I like Bellri, Aida and Bellri's cheerleader buddy who's name escapes me are both growing on me, and the overall mech design really blows me away since it's really out there and crazy, and right now, that's what I'm in the mood for.

AGE's misogyny wasn't as apparent from the get-go, though? I mean, that cheerleader literally exists only to be jealous at Aida. That is all she has done so far. Would that be likable if you didn't already like Tomino beforehand? A lot of people hated AGE's writer before the show began and carried their complaints on that.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

AGE's misogyny wasn't as apparent from the get-go, though? I mean, that cheerleader literally exists only to be jealous at Aida. That is all she has done so far. Would that be likable if you didn't already like Tomino beforehand? A lot of people hated AGE's writer before the show began and carried their complaints on that.

I like the cheerleader. She's the only character so far other than that new guy who has a recognizable goal and whose actions are clearly directed at achieving that goal! :v:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Please can we not have this argument again... :cripes:

Listening to the OP/ED songs for the hell of it, is it just me or does the ending song feel a bit more like an "opening" than the show's actual OP? Maybe it's just because it feels really upbeat and adventure-y.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Fun fact: You guys have raised more poo poo about that than I have. Doubly hilarious because I was proven right in the first episode about them being a glaring flaw on the battlefield. (I also dropped it when it was proven that Bell could pilot perfectly fine while completely blind, which nulled my initial complaint)

. . .

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

StrifeHira posted:

Please can we not have this argument again... :cripes:

Listening to the OP/ED songs for the hell of it, is it just me or does the ending song feel a bit more like an "opening" than the show's actual OP? Maybe it's just because it feels really upbeat and adventure-y.

I'm ok with dropping it. And I agree with you on the ending song, they're both legitimately great songs, and I can't wait to hear the full versions of both of them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can't say I liked this episode much better then the last two. Everything still felt weird and awkward, and the characters were unrealistically written, such as with Aida's previously mentioned going back and forth on her angst over the man Bellri killed. At least there was some cool fighting, though.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

My friend and I were watching it together and had a really good time with naming off all the animals as they appeared. I really like this show so far.

Looks like it's set in South America. Unless everyone already knows this from pre-release stuff. I didn't.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Perhaps the capital is built over Jaburo? :shrug:

Otherwise, my theory regarding the plot seems to be generally right. Capital controls the energy supply, Ameria (and possibly others) feel that doesn't meet their needs, endorses pirates to try and alleviate things. What's piqued my curiosity a bit is how Bell explained that this was in response to humanity's inability to act responsibly in the Universal Century. Imagine that the Capital was initially brought about as a group to impartially distribute and ration energy fairly, but that either its gotten too fond of the indirect control it has, or otherwise is continuing the system even if its perhaps not entirely fit for purpose.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
If I never saw the word Misogyny ever again in my life I would be the happiest person on the whole planet.

Anyways, this show has confused the gently caress out of me and I'm wondering if there's some absurd thing going on where things are moving too fast or Tomino is skipping whole sections that could be cool to keep tour moving along.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 10, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I just love that the Capital's argument is literally "have you watched UC Gundam?"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Anyone else think the G-Self may be using Nanites, like Turn-A? That would certainly explain the shield thing. A Gundam that isn't invulnerable but instead gradually repairs its own damage is pretty interesting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Colon Semicolon posted:

If I never saw the word Misogyny ever again in my life I would be the happiest person on the whole planet.

Anyways, this show has confused the gently caress out of me and I'm wondering if there's some absurd thing going on where things are moving too fast or Tomino is skipping whole sections that could be cool to keep tour moving along.

I'm sort of worried that Tomino's plan when given 25 episodes instead of 50 is to try to fit 50 episodes worth of content into 25 and editors be damned. Which, and I'm saying this as someone who finds it his favorite non-Gundam Tomino show, Overman King Gainer suffered from too, if not as heavily as G-Reco so far.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I'm sort of worried that Tomino's plan when given 25 episodes instead of 50 is to try to fit 50 episodes worth of content into 25 and editors be damned. Which, and I'm saying this as someone who finds it his favorite non-Gundam Tomino show, Overman King Gainer suffered from too, if not as heavily as G-Reco so far.

King Gainer really didn't give you a chance to breath. At all. I'm really hoping G-Reco really doesn't get that treatment, but so far it's not looking good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
For any other aussies stuck :f5:'ing for episode 3, apparently AnimeLab got the episode late and it'll be up sometime soon.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

King Gainer didn't actually bother having anything but a rough skeleton of a plotline(railroad bad, let's go to Yapan) until like the last five episodes where the Overdevil popped out of nowhere. G-Reco seems like it actually has a more structured plot in mind, it's just not really explaining it directly to anyone yet. I think the way I'd describe this show is that instead of telling the viewer a story it's basically giving the viewer a window into the events that are happening and saying "Figure it out with what I'm giving you or get stuffed".

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

(Protip: Of course people are going to talk about it when it is literally the dumbest complaint in the thread, because holy lol. Also Bell wasn't completely blind but I think you are)

Srice fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 10, 2014

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So I think the international law they are violating by holding pirate girl is that everyone gets to take out the Gundam for a spin whenever he or she feels like it. Because that would explain a lot.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Man, and I got dogpilled for liking The Irregular At Magic High School. So far G-Reco has been a lot worse then that was at the same point.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I actually really liked the Gundamjack because it was unnaturally chill but there's more than enough reason to believe that it is like that because Aida's actually doing what the Capital people want her to do.

I also liked that Bell's mother was clearly in the plan...except the whole "my son gets kidnapped" thing. Then she reacted.

Klim Nick is great and I'll join the "best character" chant. Considering he appears in the ending, and how relaxed the whole series is, I don't see him dying anytime soon and I'm glad for it. Bell keeps being great too, and the butt grab moment was hilarious to me because I was wondering when someone would react to it, and then Noredo does.

We also get some actual explanation on the conflict, and it is actually a pretty interesting one all things considered. Bell's ideology of "if we do things "fairly" we'll repeat the goddamn UC" feels like a drat good reason to side with him, but we clearly don't have the full view of the conflict yet.

I'll be honest, episodes 1 and 2 were definitely on the "bad" side for me. This one's the first I've actually, properly enjoyed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WickedHate posted:

Man, and I got dogpilled for liking The Irregular At Magic High School. So far G-Reco has been a lot worse then that was at the same point.

lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

G-Reco's characters have had way more personality in just the little details in its animation so far than Irregular had over the course of the entire show.

And Bell seems more misguided in his beliefs about energy policy as opposed to thinking that poor people are poo poo because they're lazy so that's also a plus :v:

I mean seriously let's not forget that the 3rd(?) episode of Irregular ended with an Ayn Rand-esque speech about how the underprivileged are awful, awful people.

Srice fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 10, 2014

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

WickedHate posted:

lol

Caros
May 14, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Anyone else think the G-Self may be using Nanites, like Turn-A? That would certainly explain the shield thing. A Gundam that isn't invulnerable but instead gradually repairs its own damage is pretty interesting.

This would be pretty cool actually. That said, I doubt it. If they were going this route they probably would have made comment about the fact that the shield was all fixed up. I mostly chalk it up to animation error/lazy writing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Caros posted:

This would be pretty cool actually. That said, I doubt it. If they were going this route they probably would have made comment about the fact that the shield was all fixed up. I mostly chalk it up to animation error/lazy writing.

They mentioned it specifically twice, it is fixing itself up.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I really don't want to be mean but this isn't an incredibly dense or confusing world or story, almost everything has been explained or talked about before, its just not beating you over the head with it.

Like if you pay attention you can know everything about this show.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bellri: Is the robot fixing itself?

Aida: I think the robot might be fixing itself.

( Camera Pan over to the G-Self shield, which is fixed, and not broken, like it was before )

Bellri: The Shield looks fixed, almost as if the robot was fixing itself, like that other time before, when it fixed itself after being damaged.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

Bellri: Is the robot fixing itself?

Aida: I think the robot might be fixing itself.

( Camera Pan over to the G-Self shield, which is fixed, and not broken, like it was before )

Bellri: The Shield looks fixed, almost as if the robot was fixing itself, like that other time before, when it fixed itself after being damaged.

It's gonna be all fun and games right up until the G-Self sprouts butterfly wings and everything fades to black...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

King Gainer didn't actually bother having anything but a rough skeleton of a plotline(railroad bad, let's go to Yapan) until like the last five episodes where the Overdevil popped out of nowhere. G-Reco seems like it actually has a more structured plot in mind, it's just not really explaining it directly to anyone yet. I think the way I'd describe this show is that instead of telling the viewer a story it's basically giving the viewer a window into the events that are happening and saying "Figure it out with what I'm giving you or get stuffed".

Gainer had a plot. The Overdevil stuff was introduced fairly early on, just thinly explained. You're not wrong that is how the show is though, but I'm not sure it's a good thing. It really depends on how it pans out.

I find it very odd for a show that Tomino is billing as a kid's show, but admittedly that entire line has been pretty thin to begin with.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

They mentioned it specifically twice, it is fixing itself up.

The closest thing I can find to anyone saying this is Bellri saying:

"It looks the same as when I got out of it, the hatch is still open." In episode 2

and

"It is in the same state it was last night, like when the army had it." In episode 3

Neither of these lines do anything to suggest that the G-self is repairing in anything but the most utterly vague terms. The latter is close, but it isn't accompanied by a shot of the G-self and so on first viewing you'd actually assume he means that it is actually still damaged. In fact, if they had accompanied it with a shot of the G-self being more or less pristine I'd actually agree with you that this is what they were going for.

It could be that this is the shows attempt to show us that the G-self is a repairing mobile suit. You could absolutely be right and congrats to you for noticing some really poorly done single line foreshadowing.

I mean I guess it makes sense. No one in this show seems to give a gently caress about anything, so it really isn't surprising that bell doesn't seems to care about the mobile suit that repairs itself to factory conditions in eight hours beyond effectively saying "Huh, neat."

A more effective way to do this same sort of foreshadowing would be to have someone question the fact that its armaments are in working condition so quickly. Still a single line, but it calls attention to what would otherwise be passed off as an animation error/plot hole. Even opens up additional questions about whether the machine is self repairing, or whether maybe the capital has extra gear for it sitting around, and why they might have that.

It also makes more sense as a thing an actual person would say opposed to "It is in the same state it was last night." Which of course it is not. When they left it last night it was heavily damaged.

Caros fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 10, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharky's a good poster and I feel like this thing he said last week should be looked at again.

Sharkopath posted:

Not having read anything beyond tomino interviews about the themes, barring hail mary twists, I really don't think the world in this show is all that obtuse:

The capital directly controls the space elevator, the capital is not the only nation on the planet and views rival nations with outright fear and hostility. Other nations seem to have a legitimate greivance against the capital, and there's some resource shortage at play, probably energy, maybe more. It seems to be aristocratic in nature, with an entrenched religious class that seems to share power with the other aspects of government. Probably tyrannical as hell. There seems to be some form of outright racism or classism or something with whatever Kuntala is, we'll find out at some point.

Bell is totally gonna become a space pirate, and the space pirates themselves are like a foreign funded and supplied insurgency group acting against the interests and well being of the capital.

That's about it, it's a way more gundam setup than honestly I was expecting.

He's battling a thousand so far!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Srice posted:

Sharky's a good poster and I feel like this thing he said last week should be looked at again.

He's battling a thousand so far!

I wouldn't say that the capital views other nations with fear. Hostility sure, but they just got straight up attacked and reacted with what can best be described as subdued boredom.

"Oh geeze, those Ameria dicks attacked again. Probably going to have to cut their energy rations."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Caros posted:

I wouldn't say that the capital views other nations with fear. Hostility sure, but they just got straight up attacked and reacted with what can best be described as subdued boredom.

"Oh geeze, those Ameria dicks attacked again. Probably going to have to cut their energy rations."

They straight up say that the reason the Capital rations energy is to keep them in check. The implication being that if they get too much power then they could be able to rise up to destroy the Capital. We don't know if that's what they'd do with more energy, but it's something that they're concerned about.

It's a case where the powerful is afraid of others becoming powerful.

Srice fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 10, 2014

• Locked thread