Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Anyone here played Eador: Masters of the Broken World? Looks kind of neat. I understand it's some kind of updated/remake of an earlier version, but I've never played any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Commander Keenan posted:

Tower of Guns is fantastic, at least.

What's it like? I've always been curious

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
The other day I tried out the mutator thing and got Dyad, Inherit the Earth, and Shelter. Kind of a mixed bag but eh, the badger game seems like an interesting idea, and I've heard Inherit is some sort of flawed classic or something.

Anything especially good turned up in the current batch?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Preorder for the season pass of The Longest Journey: Dreamfall Chapters: Special Edition: Additional Colons Required is now available. Looks like it'll be $30 if you preorder and $35 post-release.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Bart Fargo posted:

Anyone here played Eador: Masters of the Broken World? Looks kind of neat. I understand it's some kind of updated/remake of an earlier version, but I've never played any of them.
I started playing it recently and have already put a ton of time into it. It's pretty fantastic. There's still a thread for it that gives a more detailed description of it, but it's kind of like HoMM or King's Bounty. The campaign is a bit slow-going at the beginning, since you only have access to the first tier of buildings/troops and you play on the smallest maps, but once you get a feel for the game you can start finishing those fairly quickly and progressing faster.

The hero classes all have pretty different play styles, which is nice, and you start mostly from scratch on every map so you can try everything out. The maps can vary a lot too - early on, in tiny/regular maps, I like to use a warrior hero with decent equipment and have him solo everything (so I can save up money instead of paying upkeep on units). Recently, though, I had a desert map where movement/attacking in combat cost more stamina than normal, so I used ranged/magic heroes and forced my enemies to tire themselves out chasing me (or cast spells to drain their stamina).

I think there are a number of different ways to beat the campaign depending on your alignment (influenced by your choice of units/buildings and how you respond to conversations and random events) and which other players you've eliminated, but I'm not really anywhere close to the finishing it yet.

From reading the thread it seems like there were a lot of issues with the remake when it first came out and people were encouraging others to play Genesis instead, but I think most of those things have been fixed at this point - I've had next to no issues with MotBW - and some of the changes are things I would rather not do without at this point, like having enemy troop movement ranges highlighted when you mouse over them. Later on in larger maps it takes noticeably longer to process turns and events, but not frustratingly long (yet, at least).

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

What's it like? I've always been curious

It play similar to Painkiller where you're constantly jumping around avoiding the hundreds of bullets being shot at you. It's got kind of a Cave Story-like leveling system where you level up by collecting shards but lose levels by repeatedly getting hit. It's not too terribly difficult if you're halfway decent at FPS games, but dodging the hundreds of bullets being shot at you get pretty fun and hectic, and the little story sequences made me chuckle for what it's worth.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Zoe posted:

The other day I tried out the mutator thing and got Dyad, Inherit the Earth, and Shelter. Kind of a mixed bag but eh, the badger game seems like an interesting idea, and I've heard Inherit is some sort of flawed classic or something.

Anything especially good turned up in the current batch?

ended up with Shelter, Jack Keane 1, and Tower of Guns for the final round of mutator picks.
no complaints.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

Justin_Brett posted:

There was no list for this part I saw anywhere.

Here's a list, on the gog forums:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/mystery_mutator_game_list/page1

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
How are the Two Worlds games? I remember seeing a lot of hate for them when they first came out but they don't look all that awful...

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Zoe posted:

How are the Two Worlds games? I remember seeing a lot of hate for them when they first came out but they don't look all that awful...

The Two Worlds games are the best bad games you'll ever play. Two Worlds features unintentionally hilarious voice acting, and orcs that start compulsively cleaning the floor with brooms if you kill and resurrect them. Two Worlds 2 features poop-hurling baboons and whirling vortexes of corpses that bludgeon your enemies to death, then add their bodies to the vortex.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Genpei Turtle posted:

The Two Worlds games are the best bad games you'll ever play. Two Worlds features unintentionally hilarious voice acting, and orcs that start compulsively cleaning the floor with brooms if you kill and resurrect them. Two Worlds 2 features poop-hurling baboons and whirling vortexes of corpses that bludgeon your enemies to death, then add their bodies to the vortex.

Well why didn't they just put this on the store page then instead all that generic boring poo poo about saving your sister.

Okay so bought those and Robin Hood and got...F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Fighter, The Great Battles Collector's Edition, and Corsair's Gold.

Kind of meh but that's what I get for buying random games I guess..

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Armor-Piercing posted:

From reading the thread it seems like there were a lot of issues with the remake when it first came out and people were encouraging others to play Genesis instead, but I think most of those things have been fixed at this point - I've had next to no issues with MotBW - and some of the changes are things I would rather not do without at this point, like having enemy troop movement ranges highlighted when you mouse over them.

Thank you, this was something I had seen as well, and it's good to know some of the issues have been fixed. I appreciate the write-up!

And to address another question, I've played Two Worlds 1 on the 360. I got it because I had heard it was hilariously bad (and in many ways it is) but I ended up unironically enjoying it after a while. I haven't played the second one yet, but the first was fun both because of the cheese factor and it's also not all that bad of an RPG.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tried the mutator and got Hotline Miami, The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav, and Shelter. If I wanted Hotline Miami I'd have bought it a long time ago, but otherwise I guess I did well. Looks like if I ever feel the need to roleplay as a badger, I now have the means.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Bart Fargo posted:

Eador owns really hard. It's a remake of Eador: Genesis, which I prefer, but it still is great.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Bart Fargo posted:

This game is a lot of fun. But it's also very, very hard.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
One of my favorite things about Eador is in one of the random events, you get to ask a wizard to have gold coins rain down on one of your provinces.

The resulting high velocity coin rain ends up killing just about everyone in the province :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Holy poo poo, Disney just released Tron 2.0 on Steam. :aaaaa:

I'm holding off on buying it just because I'm really hoping we get a GOG release with the unofficial patch and Killer App baked in. Hopefully the fact that they've just dumped a bunch of their back catalogue onto Steam means they're ready to monetise it on other storefronts too.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I kind of doubt that disney is willing to go down the road of drm-free video games.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

I kind of doubt that disney is willing to go down the road of drm-free video games.

The Steam version is actually DRM-free. It doesn't use Steam as DRM and it doesn't have any secondary DRM (e.g. SecuROM) unlike their more recent releases.

Evidently, Tron 2.0 is old enough that they don't care.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm willing to bet the only reason Split/Second has SecuROM is because it actually did have a PC release when it was new, just not on Steam. It's cheaper to leave it in than take it out.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

I'm willing to bet the only reason Split/Second has SecuROM is because it actually did have a PC release when it was new, just not on Steam. It's cheaper to leave it in than take it out.

Yeah. These are just about the laziest rereleases ever, and the only reason Tron 2.0 works on Win 7 is that the retail version does. They seem to have changed/patched nothing at all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The steam forum for Tron 2.0 is full of people who have discovered that you cannot run Tron 2.0 if your computer does not have an optical drive. Whatever workaround they put in for the disc check doesn't function without an optical drive (or a spoofed one via daemon or something) being present.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

GOG's version of Independence War 2 has the same issue. I found that out when I tried running it on a new PC that I hadn't bothered putting an optical drive on. Still pretty sure that GOG does a much better job testing their games than Steam does, though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Virtual CloneDrive can simulate a CD/DVD drive and does the ISO mount thingy Daemon's was known for. It's freeware.

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
I decided to try out the Mutator promo. I ordered Deponia, Divinity 2, and Dust, and for the three random choices I ended up with Wizardry 6&7, Influx, and Luftrausers. Are any of the three randoms worth trying out?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Luftrausers is pretty drat awesome.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Seconding that Luftrausers is an awesome old-school style arcade game. Good music too, very C&C Red Alertish. Even though it only has like one main theme, the theme is built out of 3 subtracks that change depending on the which Engine, Body, and Weapon part you select to build your Rauser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnAKPTa8K2E

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Not to mention the fact that if you take down one of those flying fortress zeppelins, you get rewarded with a little cutscene of Winston Churchill's screaming face getting engulfed by an explosion that cuts away to the crew of your carrier sub saluting the burning husk smashing into the ocean.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

NadaTooma posted:

I decided to try out the Mutator promo. I ordered Deponia, Divinity 2, and Dust, and for the three random choices I ended up with Wizardry 6&7, Influx, and Luftrausers. Are any of the three randoms worth trying out?

Wizardry 6 & 7 are pretty solid crpgs, and have a shared storyline.
Wiz 6 gives you 11 races, and 14 classes to choose from.
Faerie ninjas are a viable class.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

tuluk posted:

Wizardry 6 & 7 are pretty solid crpgs, and have a shared storyline.
Wiz 6 gives you 11 races, and 14 classes to choose from.
Faerie ninjas are a viable class.

Very long, deep RPGs but sadistically difficult with minimal hand-holding.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Gobblecoque posted:

Eador owns really hard. It's a remake of Eador: Genesis, which I prefer, but it still is great.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! But now I have a quandary! I bought Eador and the DLC as two of my three to activate the mutators, and ended up getting Genesis as one of the mutators! :dance:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Bart Fargo posted:

Thanks for the feedback everyone! But now I have a quandary! I bought Eador and the DLC as two of my three to activate the mutators, and ended up getting Genesis as one of the mutators! :dance:

It was clearly meant to be.

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
Thanks y'all. Luftrausers sounds like a blast, so I'll give it a shot. :cheers:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

jivjov posted:

The steam forum for Tron 2.0 is full of people who have discovered that you cannot run Tron 2.0 if your computer does not have an optical drive. Whatever workaround they put in for the disc check doesn't function without an optical drive (or a spoofed one via daemon or something) being present.

Oh my god. Wow, that's lovely coding for you. I mean, easy to get around, but still very lovely.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Night Dive Studios (the re-releases of System Shock 2 and other good stuff) and Tommo (the re-releases of the Humungous Entertainment stuff on Steam) are teaming up under the new Retroism label.

The first of their weekly(!) announcements seems to be a three-game Steam pack consisting of releases already on GOG (Colonization, Pirates Gold Plus and Covert Action) but they have the GOG logo on their site so they clearly have plans for new stuff - Microprose, Accolade and Infogrames are specifically named...

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

GOG is having a giveaway going tomorrow of an unnamed (but high on the wishlist) shooting game to test out GOG Galaxy. This was announced on their Q&A stream.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Zeether posted:

GOG is having a giveaway going tomorrow of an unnamed (but high on the wishlist) shooting game to test out GOG Galaxy. This was announced on their Q&A stream.

Looking at the community wishlist, my best guess is that it's No One Lives Forever, given the fact that Night Dive got the rights to sell it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Looking at the community wishlist, my best guess is that it's No One Lives Forever, given the fact that Night Dive got the rights to sell it.

:captainpop: Please be true Please be true Please be true Please be true Please be true Please be true Please be true Please be true Please be true Please be true Please be true Please be true Please be true Please be true Please be true Please be true Please be true Please be true Please be true

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

Maybe God exists and it's X-Wing/TIE Fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Could it be the long awaited sequel we've all been clamouring for??

Jack Keane 3 :negative: