Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Welcome back! First of all as was discussed in the thread I managed to lock myself out of the Arcane quest by triggering the Ring events in Baccarat before finishing up the Gold Card quest. I discovered this while playing through this update and it also prevented me from triggering any of the other Arcane quests.

This is my fault, but the game gives no indication that this will happen and the Baccarat events trigger immediately once you talk to Mei Ling in Koorong so I think it's fair to say that this counts (+1).

Anyway, Mei Ling mentioned a ring in Manhattan so we make our way over there. The place we're looking for is the accessory shop in the mall.

Unfortunately the ring has already been sold, but the shop keeper is nice enough to tell us where it is. I guess we'll make our way over to Owmi.

I wish Owmi was a bigger region. It's a pretty nice place but there's not much to it.

So we head over to the Lord's Manor to the north which is really the only area of interest.

We heard you bought a ring in Manhattan.
:signings:Yes and...?
Can we buy it from you?
:signings:I see. Are you also a collector?

Uh oh.

What?

:signings: Ha,ha, ha. I will get your rings later.

And so our party of dunces falls for the old pit trap and gets dropped into the basement.

Oh that hurt. It didn't exactly turn out the way we planned.

Also for some reason Riki falls a lot slower than Mei Ling.

It was reaaaally scary.
We've got to find the way out.

We make our way up through the basement picking up treasure along the way. There's a lot of powerful restorative items down here.

At the halfway point we meet this charming fellow. We'll get to him in a minute. Also the treasure pile there is a trap. If you try to take it, it drops you back down to the bottom and the squid laughs at you.

:krakken:I am a water mystic. I exist to serve you. (Let her join) With pleasure.
Off to the side is a room with Mesarthim. She'll join you or offer to give you an item if you have any mystics aside from Silence in your team. She's one of the best mystics in the game so it could be a good idea to add her to your team. For now though, we have Nusakan so we'll wait till Asellus's quest to show her off.

All right rear end in a top hat. Do your worst.

Oh geez. The Devil Squid here will always open fights with Maelstrom which can be really devastating if you're unprepared. Fortunately, One of the treasures in the dungeon is a Pearl Heart accessory to make someone immune to water attacks, and Mesarthim is also immune to them.

Nusakan survives and heals up Gen who pops the Healer Ring to patch everyone up.

The rest of the Devil Squid's attacks are much less scary. Maelstrom is really the only threatening thing he can do.

He's pretty frail too and goes down a few turns later.

Riki turns into something neat while we're here. The Ogre Lord is the big purple guy and is the advanced form of Thunder's base Ogre form. It has buckets of strength, LP and HP.

It's not too much longer until we're out of the basement. You'll want to explore the rest of the house because there's some treasure scattered around.

Those are some pretty shiny floors.

Up in the attic we find a Ghost Cannon and a Kris Knife which is an accessory with pretty solid elemental defenses.

Then in the room below the attic we find the lord of the manor.
:signings:Please spare me!!

And he turns into this weird gremlin thing.
He was a mystic.
Now we'll take your ring. You probably got it by bewitching them anyway.
:signings:Shoot! Yo, ya big hairy....! Be careful of this broad. Anyone after a ring's gotta be upt to no good.
Sheesh look who's talking. We've got 6 rings. Let's keep going.

Now that we have the ring we'll leave the manor and head back to Koorong to see about the next one.

Where should we go (Despair).

Just pretend, to get in.

Should we trust her? (Yes).

Over in Koorong Mei-Ling and Liza give us some info on the ring in Despair. You actually can't do this one until you've already gotten a few other rings. I tried to do it earlier and it wouldn't trigger.

I suppose.
Do you know the prisoner who was sentenced for a million years?
Only by rumor. He's in solitary with a heavy guard. But I don't know who he really is.
We need to find this guy. Can you take us to him
I have an idea where he is. But uh, just how much are we talking about here?
We'll give you this much now, and more if we find him.

Fortunately we don't have to pay Annie with our own money. Mei Ling pays for it with that mysterious source of cash that she's always offering to buy people's rings with.

Over at Despair things start out similarly to the Freedom Rune quest.
:cop:What a beautiful lady.
Flattery will get you nowhere.
:cop:OK, OK. Let me check the pass.
:commissar:Wait.

:commissar:Hey, what happened to the regular guys?
:cop:The pass is valid.
:commissar:Hmmm, I know. They brought in sub-contractors to do the job. That dog's gonna work too?

Playing through this has made me realize what a substantial amount of Riki's dialogue is either "I'm Riki," "I'm not a dog," or "Yeah!" Here we get two out of the three.

His sense of smell is very keen. He'll come in handy.
:commissar:All right, now get to work. Remember, no one gets paid till it's all done.
Yes sir, Warden!
:cop:Hurry it up. Go on!

Fortunately, we were able to make it through.

Annie will lead you to the prisoner's cell, but I was curious about how this quest interacted with the Freedom Rune one so I wandered off to try and get the freedom rune to see what would happen.

Things went fairly smoothly until I got to this door. Normally it's required to progress in the Freedom Rune quest, but here we can't open it. Funny enough, it's not that it's locked as far as I can tell. Instead they stuck an invisible barrier right in front of it so you can't open it. If I tried to make Riki go straight down right here, he wouldn't do it because he'd be blocked by the barrier.

So we make our way back to where the game wants us to progress. Riki's doing pretty well for himself now that he's turned into an Ogre Lord.

It is kinda neat to see the parts of the prison that we skipped over when Emelia first broke out.

If I hadn't wandered off, you can finish this up pretty quick. The path there isn't very long.

And now we're right outside the prisoner's cell.

Inside we find the warden.
:commissar:Did you come to visit a prisoner?
How did you know...?
:commissar:I saw the ring sparkle when you came in. Yes I am the warden and the prisoner sentenced to a million years. This facility really exists just for me.
What did you do?
:commissar:Hmph! I though you only wanted the ring.
Yeah!
:commissar:Why?

:commissar:Whatever you say...I haven't had visitors for a long time. Here, take it, it's yours. (Received the ring.)

This is something the game did that I found rude. If you've started the rune quest, the game will make you pick up the Freedom Rune here despite it being impossible to get the Rune gift because of Tanzer. Thanks game(+1)

So we wander all the way back to the other end of the prison.

And fight the boss. He's not difficult, but he's got a lot of health because my encounter rank is getting up there now. With that we've picked up the worthless (to us at least) Freedom Rune as well as the ring. Next time we'll pick up the last quick ring before we start to head into Riki's endgame.

RQHY:8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A giant centipede with a human skull and rapier arms? Bosses in this game are rad.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Well, if we're closing in on the endgame so quickly, perhaps I could open up a discussion about how to best build up Riki's party?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

MightyPretenders posted:

Well, if we're closing in on the endgame so quickly, perhaps I could open up a discussion about how to best build up Riki's party?

Basically riki, gen, t260g, and the two mystics.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

MightyPretenders posted:

As many good characters as possible because you have to take Riki with you.

Also, I did not know about the Freedom Rune thing before. That is such utter bullshit I have no words.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Shwqa posted:

Basically riki, gen, t260g, and the two mystics.

What about EngineerCar, Emelia, and Fuse? (Well, Fuse and Suzaku aren't options this time, it seems... Now that is a hard blow.)

Riki misses out on Rouge (because he's not a magic-user himself), Liza (because she's not relevant to his plot), and Roufas (because Roufas isn't plot relevant this time and Riki isn't a Man).

He does have a bit of variety in who he can get though - 2 good Mystics And 2 Mecs, when most main characters are stuck with one or the other. On top of that, he does get a few good humans, and the monsters everyone can get. And if you feel up to it, you can try making Lute or Fei-On into something before it's safe to recruit people who would usually overshadow them.

On a related note, dude789 should be able to cancel the Rune quest now and go through the Space quest, if I understand the mechanics correctly.

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 6, 2014

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Engineer Car and Emelia are kind of lame. Fuse is workable and I've relied on Lute because I always use swords with him and they combo well. But Mesarthim and Mei-Ling are the two good spellcasters of this campaign, if I remember.

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008

MightyPretenders posted:

On a related note, dude789 should be able to cancel the Rune quest now and go through the Time quest, if I understand the mechanics correctly.

Riki can't get to TimeLord, since the only person who sells the item requires LP payments, and doesn't take dirty Monster or Mec LP. The most he can probably get is Space Magic.

That said, I think I'd never realized how much BS Riki's quest throws at you. Granted, to someone who doesn't understand the game's mechanics yet, everything is hard. Riki's quest just hates you extra if you actually understand how the game works.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MartianAgitator posted:

But Mesarthim and Mei-Ling are the two good spellcasters of this campaign, if I remember.

Nusakan is a pretty good spellcaster, like all mystics. It's just that between the two mystics, they're kind of interchangeable.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this

MightyPretenders posted:

Fuse*, Gen, Nusakan/Mesarthim, then one more damage dealer. Typically I would go with Emilia for guns since they combo well and she's pretty good for shooting stuff.

*= if you didn't screw yourself out of the Arcane magic and want to use unarmed. Else, substitute for T260-G.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

doing the obvious posted:

Typically I would go with Emilia for guns since they combo well and she's pretty good for shooting stuff.

Assuming you can actually get her to learn gun techs, which she has the WORST potential in the game for learning. But yeah, she definitely has the stats for it.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this
My criteria for choosing her versus other gun users (Fuse, Roufas) is based upon the fact she is also halfway decent at learning magic, too. Awakening and Mind Heal on a gun user means that they are almost entirely self-sufficient and can really crank out good damage, too. You can get screwed out of recruiting Fuse in this scenario, and as previously stated Riki is not manly enough to recruit Roufas, so, yeah.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Everyone is the same at learning magic as they are at learning gun techs. But this number is just an addition to their stats instead of a multiplier, so it doesn't matter as much as with fists and swords. Plus, Gunners don't need to worry about Spark lists.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

Ah. Then my criteria would have to shift to because Fuse is not as easy to recruit as Emilia and Roufas is too busy chilling in a tomb and giving no fucks about Riki and his dumbass scenario.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

dude789 posted:

At the halfway point we meet this charming fellow. We'll get to him in a minute.
What the hell is with this guy's sprite? For a second i thought this was a really bad edit.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

FredMSloniker posted:

What the hell is with this guy's sprite? For a second i thought this was a really bad edit.

It's animated in-game so it blends in a bit better.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Ah. Then my criteria would have to shift to because Fuse is not as easy to recruit as Emilia and Roufas is too busy chilling in a tomb and giving no fucks about Riki and his dumbass scenario.

Actually, Fuse is easier because the game doesn't actually let Riki go to Mt. Mosperiburg. The humans in your team just leave and come back a second later with a card and none of the loot from the dragon cave.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

I do remember that now, it's like I blocked so many details about his awful scenario out of my memory. Can't imagine why.

In the context of guns though, I would still rather use Emilia for that. If I'm going to use Fuse, I would rather use him for unarmed or swords which he has a pretty good spark list for both and his stat growth favor those. Though again, optional, it's not like unarmed characters are make or break outside of the context of Liza which Riki doesn't have access to. Two sword users can be fun, though he'll always be in the shadow of Gen in that regard.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Hobologist posted:

Actually, Fuse is easier because the game doesn't actually let Riki go to Mt. Mosperiburg. The humans in your team just leave and come back a second later with a card and none of the loot from the dragon cave.

Really? My sources must have screwed up again...

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Hobologist posted:

Is that how it goes? I know that's how they handle the Light and Shadow dungeons, but I could've sworn that Riki gets to go to Mt. Mosperiburg.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Okay, I've looked it up on youtube. Riki does go to Mosperiburg for the shield card.

So, in order to make sure everyone gets all the gifts they can...
You would need to hold off on starting the Arcane quest until You've recruited Dr. Nusakan and Annie, and been to Baccarat as part of the Ring quests (Mesartham has the Rune gift, but you'll still want to get her when you can). After that, Begin the quest and recruit Emilia, then go to IRPO for the shield card and Fuse.
Once every human and mystic has been recruited, buy a light or Shadow spell for everyone and send them through the Luminous Labyrinth and Ombre.
After completing the Arcane quest, go to Paradise and recruit/buy magic from Kylin, depending on what feels right. Oh, and go for Mind before or after this.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I've come across some new info that may clarify some things about Riki and the arcane quest. I don't think triggering the Baccarat sequence is what locks you out of the Rune quest, rather I think collecting one of the Runes/Cards locks you out of starting the other quest line until that one is finished. So rather than starting the Baccarat ring quest, my mistake was doing the Victory Rune sidequest which locked me into finishing the Rune quest first, which of course for Riki is impossible to complete.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

dude789 posted:

I've come across some new info that may clarify some things about Riki and the arcane quest. I don't think triggering the Baccarat sequence is what locks you out of the Rune quest, rather I think collecting one of the Runes/Cards locks you out of starting the other quest line until that one is finished. So rather than starting the Baccarat ring quest, my mistake was doing the Victory Rune sidequest which locked me into finishing the Rune quest first, which of course for Riki is impossible to complete.

...So, you just need to Cancel the Rune quest, then?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

MightyPretenders posted:

...So, you just need to Cancel the Rune quest, then?

Hahaha.

My bet for how Riki's quest hates you: You can't.

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
Actually, I'm pretty sure you can't cancel it regardless of which character you are.

Riki's quest is just the easiest to lock yourself out of it on.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

MightyPretenders posted:

Okay, I've looked it up on youtube. Riki does go to Mosperiburg for the shield card.

I distinctly remember him not going. But I can't argue with youtube.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Magic Fanatic posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure you can't cancel it regardless of which character you are.

Riki's quest is just the easiest to lock yourself out of it on.

Of course you can cancel it. I think dude789 even showed how back in Blue's quest. Of course, you need to screw up the quest first.

Yep, back on Page 12. Getting told how you can't return to Despair/Tanzer/Mosperiburg counts as "completing" the magic quest as far as unlocking things goes.

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 8, 2014

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

MightyPretenders posted:

Of course you can cancel it. I think dude789 even showed how back in Blue's quest. Of course, you need to screw up the quest first.

Yep, back on Page 12. Getting told how you can't return to Despair/Tanzer/Mosperiburg counts as "completing" the magic quest as far as unlocking things goes.

This is not the case for Riki. I suspect they did this for Blue because he literally cannot complete the quest if he screws himself out of both. If you talk to the guy in Devin with Riki he just mentions that to find the Vitality Rune you should try getting on a ship.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Darn. I guess that's it, then.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
So, long story short: Don't bother with magic in Riki's quest.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Well as far as I'm aware, he at least gets a consolation prize with those caster mystics right? Nusukan comes with Arcane, Mesarthim Rune?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Keldulas posted:

Well as far as I'm aware, he at least gets a consolation prize with those caster mystics right? Nusukan comes with Arcane, Mesarthim Rune?

Mesarthim joins anyone at all who has a non-Silence mystic, and Nusukan is more of a consolation prize for being utterly unable to get Time Lord, assumedly, since Blue can recruit the good doctor too.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Keldulas posted:

Nusaken comes with Death, but not the gift, so no Tower for you. Mesarthim has the Rune gift though.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Pneub posted:

So, long story short: Don't bother with magic in Riki's quest.

Fixed that for you.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

I dont know posted:

Fixed that for you.

Honestly, magic's never that great. The biggest benefit of the arcane/tarot sidequests is to give you something to do while you grind sword/gun/DSC moves.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pneub posted:

Honestly, magic's never that great. The biggest benefit of the arcane/tarot sidequests is to give you something to do while you grind sword/gun/DSC moves.

And a few of the best characters, namely Gen (though Roufas and/or Fuse are good in a pinch). Rune Magic allows for some shenanigans with Soul Rune and the Overdrive/Stasis trick, but that's pretty much it. Light and Shadow magic are really the two magic sets that are more or less essential. (Mind Magic is alright, too, if you want Mindheal or Awakening)

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

KataraniSword posted:

Light and Shadow magic are really the two magic sets that are more or less essential.

I'd even argue against that. They both have techs that give big boosts to your physicals, but you have to sacrifice your mastery to use them. Even with that, none of the fights are that long to begin with, so use them if you think your WP will hold out.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

FredMSloniker posted:

They hosed up the anti aliasing so he has a white border around him like a bad Photoshop. Also he does not fit into the 3d illusion space of the hallway so you can see he's just a big ol graphic sitting on top of another big graphic. The game can be kind of lackadaisical about that; see the mouse chilling on the roulette wheel, for example. Ultimately I don't mind because a giant squid hanging out in a dank basement or like a slot machine paying out a pile of live mice are charming enough that i'm just gonna roll with it

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

Pneub posted:

I'd even argue against that. They both have techs that give big boosts to your physicals, but you have to sacrifice your mastery to use them.

If you have arcane and shadow, Shadow Clone combined with Tower (if you can keep your shadow alive long enough to do it) is a pretty metal way of dumping all your JP at once for a shitton of damage. Completely wasteful but it is funny to watch if nothing else.

Light Sword can also be a good enough investment for Gen if you don't want to use katana techniques with him. Pretty sure that it even trumps the one sword unique to Asellus' story in terms of sheer cut-you-up power, which says something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Light Sword can also be a good enough investment for Gen if you don't want to use katana techniques with him. Pretty sure that it even trumps the one sword unique to Asellus' story in terms of sheer cut-you-up power, which says something.

According to some folks I asked, LightSword is 80 power while the unique one is 75, so yeah. Also wow for some reason I thought LightSword was only 70 power (which still equals or trumps every other sword), plus you get LightSwordDeflect and all those stat bonuses. drat good spell.

• Locked thread