Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
If you wanted a table that Farsight actually has, I feel like Dr. Dude would be a great Ghostbusters conversion. They probably chose Haunted House because it's basic enough that they don't have to add much in the way of modes or extras besides a reskinning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gann Jerrod posted:

They probably chose Haunted House because it's basic enough that they don't have to add much in the way of modes or extras besides a reskinning.

Yeah, and Haunted House is so simple it can be recreated solely through scripting, no ROM really needed. I assume the Pinball Arcade version recreates the ROM, I'm just saying that there's really not much needed in terms of replacing stuff. You could switch out the game's music and sound effects with music and voice clips from the movie, the artwork can be replaced with photosourced pictures from the film, etc.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

The Han Solo table is actually really good. My initial reaction was that I wasted money buying it, but once I sat down and figured out the rules it became much more enjoyable and challenging in a realistic way.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, and Haunted House is so simple it can be recreated solely through scripting, no ROM really needed. I assume the Pinball Arcade version recreates the ROM, I'm just saying that there's really not much needed in terms of replacing stuff. You could switch out the game's music and sound effects with music and voice clips from the movie, the artwork can be replaced with photosourced pictures from the film, etc.

I honestly wonder how much of the actual actors we're going to see. I wouldn't be surprised if we got stand ins comparable to this:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Gann Jerrod posted:

I honestly wonder how much of the actual actors we're going to see. I wouldn't be surprised if we got stand ins comparable to this:

Marty McFly. Noted Mariners fan.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The table will actually be based on this Ghostbusters:

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Gann Jerrod posted:

That's Gary Stern as Doc.

The Cheeto
Dec 14, 2011

Please watch these middle-aged men playing video games
I think they said it's gonna be based on both films in the Phantom of the Opera stream, so it could be neat if they made the attic into the rooftop from the end of the first and the lower play field could be the slime river from the second. They seemed super stoked with how it's coming along on the stream so I'm 50/50 on it until I see it.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Phantom is available for sale in game. No sign of a Season 4 pack though. Did that apple store nonsense ruin seasons for all platforms?

Edit - nevermind.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/326600

Edit 2 - drat. Enhanced Steam plugin was reading "Season 4 Pack" as containing 4 copies and showing it as $7.50 each. Was hoping to go Santa and rain a few season fours on people, but it only actually gave me one.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 11, 2014

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
All Zen Marvel tables are half off for NY Comicon I think. I good time to pick them up if you're interested.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Tony Phillips posted:

Phantom is available for sale in game. No sign of a Season 4 pack though. Did that apple store nonsense ruin seasons for all platforms?

Edit - nevermind.

Edit 2 - drat. Enhanced Steam plugin was reading "Season 4 Pack" as containing 4 copies and showing it as $7.50 each. Was hoping to go Santa and rain a few season fours on people, but it only actually gave me one.

Looks correct to me. Is it up on PS4 or iOS yet just steam?
My siblings and I got our parents a Phantom pin so I am really excited for this, especially if there is an operator menu option so I can learn how to program the options on the real thing!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, I had a few runs on Phantom, and I don't know if it's the fact that it's like 2 AM here and I really should be going to sleep or if it's something with the table, but this game is really hard. I think it's mainly that the playfield art seems to be playing tricks on my eyes (but again, the fact that I'm kind of tired might play into that as well) and that some of the shots are really killers (watch out for that organ, that can send a ball right down the middle if you're unlucky). Guess I'll have to try again tomorrow.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

Looks correct to me. Is it up on PS4 or iOS yet just steam?
My siblings and I got our parents a Phantom pin so I am really excited for this, especially if there is an operator menu option so I can learn how to program the options on the real thing!

No idea on other platforms. Operator's menu should be available if you buy the pro version.

ipdb has a pdf of part of the manual.
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1777/Data_East_1990_Phantom_of_the_Opera_English_Manual_Pages_22_through_30_only.pdf

Otherwise:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phantom-of-...=item1c4682f9fb

Just played a few games. From what I've read, it doesn't really have that deep a rule set. Kinda felt that way even though I didn't bother reading the rules and jumped right in. Really easy to start and re-start multiball. (Which is tiered - you start with 2, knock them both back into the organ and then get a third.) Fun but not great. I like the art a lot, but fear that it's going to be a table where getting a decent score takes a long time. Hour+ games for sure. Was already able to keep one going for 20 or so minutes.

Honestly the best part of this might just be that it signals Farsight having access to Data East tables.

Edit - release day artificial ego boost - yay!

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 11, 2014

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

roffels posted:

I think I'll skip the Circus this time around. I love pinball, but the atmosphere and some of the people there are a bit much. I end up smelling of sweat and hot dogs, and don't get enough play in.

I'm going for all the hot pinball babes

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Tony Phillips posted:

Edit - release day artificial ego boost - yay!

Oh poo poo, you're a goon? I should've guessed. You're one of the more useful members of the fan forum community. I'm the guy who maintains the goal list sticky there. Speaking of, I'd love if you could PM me screencaps of the Basic and Wizard Goals menus.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

roffels posted:

That's Gary Stern as Doc.

oh poo poo, I would have never noticed that. I recognize him not from watch the documentary "Special when lit" this week on amazon prime.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Pinball Arcade newsletter came out, and with it, the next table hint:

I think that's a pretty resounding hint for Party Zone.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Tony Phillips posted:

Edit - nevermind.

Is there any table other than Phantom announced for Season 4? Because it feels pretty dumb selling a season pass on a single table. I got season 3 immediately because I saw it had Black Knight 2000 and Junk Yard, along with Fish Tales.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

MichiganCubbie posted:

Pinball Arcade newsletter came out, and with it, the next table hint:

I think that's a pretty resounding hint for Party Zone.

I was thinking Birthday Serling, but Party Zone makes more sense.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

ElNarez posted:

Is there any table other than Phantom announced for Season 4? Because it feels pretty dumb selling a season pass on a single table. I got season 3 immediately because I saw it had Black Knight 2000 and Junk Yard, along with Fish Tales.

Then just wait it out then. $3/table isn't exactly steep, even if you don't know what they are.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

canyoneer posted:

I was thinking Birthday Serling, but Party Zone makes more sense.

Does this mean they got the rights to use Pinball Wizard? Could The Who's Tommy be possible?

Also, B. MOTHERFUCKING ZARR. Eat, Drink and B. Merry was brilliant. Eat and Drink's animations are obvious enough, but B. Merry has a little girl in a dress appear as Mary Had A Little Lamb plays. Extreme zoom on Mary's face... Zarr. "It's me!" Hey, he was told to B. Merry...

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 11, 2014

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

BiggerJ posted:

Does this mean they got the rights to use Pinball Wizard? Could The Who's Tommy be possible?

I dunno, didn't they cut songs from Creature From the Black Lagoon? I could see that happening here

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Gann Jerrod posted:

I dunno, didn't they cut songs from Creature From the Black Lagoon? I could see that happening here

The song's name is shown on the display in the song selection menu. I don't know to what degree they can edit ROMs.

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????
So T2 got a texture overhaul with the most recent Pinball Arcade patch.

I hope the updating of old tables becomes a trend, seems like Farsight's new tables look and play a whole lot better than their early stuff.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TheMcD posted:

Well, I had a few runs on Phantom, and I don't know if it's the fact that it's like 2 AM here and I really should be going to sleep or if it's something with the table, but this game is really hard. I think it's mainly that the playfield art seems to be playing tricks on my eyes (but again, the fact that I'm kind of tired might play into that as well) and that some of the shots are really killers (watch out for that organ, that can send a ball right down the middle if you're unlucky). Guess I'll have to try again tomorrow.

My first game went really well, and I started thinking it was an easy table where the outlanes never happen. Then I played another few games and had my illusions shattered. :D

I have a tough time hitting the ramp with any consistency -- something about the flippers feels different, somehow.

And the match animation? It takes too long, but I love it. :swoon:

prefect fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 11, 2014

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

BiggerJ posted:

Also, B. MOTHERFUCKING ZARR. Eat, Drink and B. Merry was brilliant. Eat and Drink's animations are obvious enough, but B. Merry has a little girl in a dress appear as Mary Had A Little Lamb plays. Extreme zoom on Mary's face... Zarr. "It's me!" Hey, he was told to B. Merry...
The main menu music is a cover of Pinball Wizard. Maybe they'd use that awful thing.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 11, 2014

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Phantom can be tough in real life but then you can get on a roll and post a killer score thanks to the catwalk. The rule set is pretty simple.
In the operator menu there are some neat features that make for fun home play, like giving someone an extra ball if their score is way less than the other players in that game. Some kind of wacky timer stuff too that I haven't been able to figure out.

I do like the multi ball where you get two balls and then get to three after locking the two at once. Fun fact: the organ mechanism is the same as the Pin Bot visor.

Can anyone verify that the back glass art works as intended? There is a cool scary phantom face under the mask that you can see when it flashes but otherwise you just see the mask (which I think is painted on the frontside of the back glass). It is a really great effect in person and I hope it translates to digital.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MichiganCubbie posted:

The main menu music is a cover of Pinball Wizard. Maybe they'd use that awful thing.

The Who's Tommy is licensed from the 1992 musical, not the album. The music is from the original cast recording. This might make the music license cheaper since you're licensing a musical soundtrack instead of a whole Who album.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 11, 2014

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Beelzebozo posted:

Oh poo poo, you're a goon? I should've guessed. You're one of the more useful members of the fan forum community. I'm the guy who maintains the goal list sticky there. Speaking of, I'd love if you could PM me screencaps of the Basic and Wizard Goals menus.

I'm Beatnik-Filmstar, not pinballwiz45b. (And not useful on their forums at all.) Can screenshot the wizard goals for you if you still need them though. Already cleared the standard ones and don't really remember what they were.

ElNarez posted:

There's this anyway.
http://readretro.com/features/interview-the-pinball-arcade-lead-designer-bobby-king/

RETRO: Let’s talk future tables. Any chance we’ll see the likes of Cyclone or Earthshaker join the line-up? F-14 Tomcat, maybe?

BK: Yes, one of those tables will be one of the first few tables in Season 4. One is currently scheduled to be towards the end of Season 4 and the other one is on a potential list for a future season.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Which means we'll either get a bunch of great licensed tables. Or they'll be giving us Gottliebs again.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

roffels posted:

Which means we'll either get a bunch of great licensed tables. Or they'll be giving us Gottliebs again.

Bad Girls!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Last night I played Avatar in a bar. It's kind of a dull looking table, especially considering how vibrant the movie was. The feed from the bumpers went straight down the middle more often than not, as did the kickout from the Link ball trap thing. My best score was 12 mil, which was quite pitiful. I'll probably go back to it after learning some scoring strategies, it seemed like all the high scores were the stock ones. I kinda wish it had more interesting shots. Only one ramp? C'mon. Probably the least impressive looking modern Stern table I've played, at least.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tony Phillips posted:

RETRO: Let’s talk future tables. Any chance we’ll see the likes of Cyclone or Earthshaker join the line-up? F-14 Tomcat, maybe?

BK: Yes, one of those tables will be one of the first few tables in Season 4. One is currently scheduled to be towards the end of Season 4 and the other one is on a potential list for a future season.

Well, given Earthshaker and Cyclone were Diner's competition for that one user poll, I'm guessing F-14 is the one "on a potential list".

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

So we had our TWD release party last night. We couldn't figure out all the aspects of the modes but mostly figured out getting the two multiballs. For the well multiball you have to hit the fat zombie 4 times to spell WELL, then hit it 5 more times to start a 2 ball. Prison multiball you have to bash the door to the building a bunch of times to spell PRISON and then uhhhhh, hit the flashing lanes and also hit the face that's inside the building when the door opens? Sometimes the door wouldn't open and we couldn't figure out why in the short time we had with the game.

It looks like hitting the 3-bank on the left makes you eligible for a mode by shooting a ramp/lane, but I think the modes right now are just "keep hitting that same ramp/lane". Also we think clearing the 3-bank three times sets you up for a frenzy mode. We couldn't figure out how to light up all the weapons to start Horde mode. One guy got close and had all but one but couldn't figure it out before he drained.

The prison magnet has a bad habit of firing the ball STDM, and same with balls coming out of the bumpers on the plunge too, which is real annoying. We were on v 1.04 and I think someone said there was a 1.05 already, but this feels like a less complete game than Mustang and Star Trek were on release.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Who's Tommy is licensed from the 1992 musical, not the album. The music is from the original cast recording. This might make the music license cheaper since you're licensing a musical soundtrack instead of a whole Who album.

Which also means we won't get the good version of the song, but it would still be an improvement over what we currently have. :shrug:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

apophenium posted:

Last night I played Avatar in a bar. It's kind of a dull looking table, especially considering how vibrant the movie was. The feed from the bumpers went straight down the middle more often than not, as did the kickout from the Link ball trap thing. My best score was 12 mil, which was quite pitiful. I'll probably go back to it after learning some scoring strategies, it seemed like all the high scores were the stock ones. I kinda wish it had more interesting shots. Only one ramp? C'mon. Probably the least impressive looking modern Stern table I've played, at least.
Avatar is definitely in the lower rung of the modern Stern games. Poor design and mediocre rules.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

prefect posted:

Which also means we won't get the good version of the song, but it would still be an improvement over what we currently have. :shrug:

They should get the rights to the movie and use Elton John's version.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

Or just skip the middleman and get Captain Fantastic.

But also you're right and Elton John's cover is better.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Using my psychic powers, I will now predict that a future Pinball Arcade table will be ''The Getaway: High Speed II".

(Okay, not psychic powers, but after buying season 4 and clicking on "download owned" in the OSX version, it tried to download that table, but was unable to. Same for Addams Family and three unnamed tables.)

Edit: looking at the IPDB page, it looks like the same as "High Speed". :confused:

Gann Jerrod posted:

But also you're right and Elton John's cover is better.

Better than the original version? You should get to the hospital ASAP, because you apparently have something very wrong with you. :ohdear:

prefect fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

apophenium posted:

There's an Avatar locally, and it is in fact incredibly bad. The rules are unexciting, virtually nothing stacks, dull table layout, and the only real "toy" on the table has effectively no impact on the game. And the DMD visuals are pretty poor quality as well.

I'd honestly prefer a solid EM.