Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
I can't believe the stylus still doesn't come out of the right side on the non-XL. On the DS lite you could just pop it out really quickly and slide it back in. Why didn't they learn this poo poo is annoying back in the DS phat days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

MTV Crib Death posted:

Getsuya, do you have Pokemon?

If so, can you tell us whether the slowdown in 3D battles is still present on the New 3DS?

Unless the game was made with the New 3DS in mind, it won't benefit from the bumped specs. It'll play the same.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

cobalt impurity posted:

I can't believe the stylus still doesn't come out of the right side on the non-XL. On the DS lite you could just pop it out really quickly and slide it back in. Why didn't they learn this poo poo is annoying back in the DS phat days?

I think they just put it wherever they can make space relative to the rest of the internals.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Rexroom posted:

Today they released the new New 3DS in Japan. For those curious how it compares to the old Old 3DS, :siren:trigger warning:siren: Kotaku has some pics.

Love those face buttons.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The New 3DS is looking really good. Hopefully it's out before MH4U and/or has a bundle for that.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think they just put it wherever they can make space relative to the rest of the internals.

They should rearrange the internals so the stylus isn't in a stupid position. :colbert:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh god, he's everywhere.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I can't decide if this should be in here or FE, but hey :devil:

In Fire Emblem Awakening should I assume anything wireless / bonus related is going to end up being overpowered Streetpass stuff I should avoid entirely for risk of trivializing my game?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

nuru posted:

I can't decide if this should be in here or FE, but hey :devil:

In Fire Emblem Awakening should I assume anything wireless / bonus related is going to end up being overpowered Streetpass stuff I should avoid entirely for risk of trivializing my game?

Feel free to grab the renown rewards and the free SpotPass chapters; the Renown Rewards don't really break the game or anything and are just bonuses and you can't play the Spotpass maps until you beat the penultimate chapter anyway. The rest of it could definitely be argued as being a bit broken, so feel free to avoid the other things.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Disney Magical World is absolutely amazing. I almost want to make a thread about it but I don't think it's a very long game, so most people are probably already done with it. But it is really well crafted, with every activity being tied together with every other activity, so you always have motivation to be running back and forth participating in everything the game has to offer.

Also when you first meet Alice she asks if you are a student :psyduck: Were they referencing the fact that real-world Alice was the daughter of a dean?

(Or they were just assuming most people playing the game would be kids, which is probably the more logical answer)

I named my cafe Berlioz to protest the fact that the only Aristocats character in this game is Marie, which is stupid.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

jivjov posted:

Ah, well, either use a Micro-SD with an adapter in the older 3DS, or once the transfer process is done, copy off the SD card data to a micro later.

Well poo poo, wish I had read that the New 3DS used Micro SD before I just last week bought a 32 gig card for my XL. Not that I plan to buy a New 3DS XL anytime soon ( Nor near launch next year ) but still it would have been nice to not have to look into a new card later.

Did they already come out with max sizes for Micro SD on the new one?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I'm looking for a few good chaos maps in Theatrhythm for grinding out levels, and apparently I didn't realize there are two versions of "P" maps - yellow, and gold - the gold ones being even more focused on certain song types. Do any of you goons have a lvl 75 or 99 chaos map with the title of "A nostalgic trip into a [various] fantasy"? "Bracing" or "pastoral" would be especially awesome.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Disney Magical World is absolutely amazing. I almost want to make a thread about it but I don't think it's a very long game, so most people are probably already done with it. But it is really well crafted, with every activity being tied together with every other activity, so you always have motivation to be running back and forth participating in everything the game has to offer.

Also when you first meet Alice she asks if you are a student :psyduck: Were they referencing the fact that real-world Alice was the daughter of a dean?

(Or they were just assuming most people playing the game would be kids, which is probably the more logical answer)

I named my cafe Berlioz to protest the fact that the only Aristocats character in this game is Marie, which is stupid.

What even is that game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hat Thoughts posted:

What even is that game

That's the game that looked like Animal Crossing: Disney Edition I believe

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Macaluso posted:

That's the game that looked like Animal Crossing: Disney Edition I believe

I'd say it's more Rune Factory: Disney Edition. There's a balance of combat, crafting and farming though everything is much simpler than in Rune Factory. I might really end up making a thread; this game needs more visibility. Any of you who never grew out of Disney should check it out.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Fryhtaning posted:

I'm looking for a few good chaos maps in Theatrhythm for grinding out levels, and apparently I didn't realize there are two versions of "P" maps - yellow, and gold - the gold ones being even more focused on certain song types. Do any of you goons have a lvl 75 or 99 chaos map with the title of "A nostalgic trip into a [various] fantasy"? "Bracing" or "pastoral" would be especially awesome.

What do those map titles even mean? They always seemed pretty random to me.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

Getsuya posted:

I'd say it's more Rune Factory: Disney Edition. There's a balance of combat, crafting and farming though everything is much simpler than in Rune Factory. I might really end up making a thread; this game needs more visibility. Any of you who never grew out of Disney should check it out.

I definitely enjoyed the game and so did my sister, both of us over 30. It was pretty simplistic, but it was a fun little time waster for a while. Of course more complexity would be welcome, but given the target audience, I was impressed with how well made it was that it could still appeal to adults who really like Disney and collecting stuff.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Disney Magical World is still not out in Europe, which is amusing what with most of Europe being waaay into Disney stuff. Disney comics are still produced mostly here for one thing (in Italy and then translated and distributed all over the continent).

The game's supposed to be coming out at the end of this month, but I hear there's already a sequel ready to come out in Japan? If so, sigh.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

Disney Magical World is still not out in Europe, which is amusing what with most of Europe being waaay into Disney stuff. Disney comics are still produced mostly here for one thing (in Italy and then translated and distributed all over the continent).

The game's supposed to be coming out at the end of this month, but I hear there's already a sequel ready to come out in Japan? If so, sigh.

Woah a sequel? Is there a source for that? And if it does come out in Europe next month I'll definitely throw up a thread so we can all visit each others' cafes and trade cards and stuff. But man if there's really a sequel coming that's going to be awesome. I hope they put more characters in it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Don't quote me on the sequel bit. I thought I had heard about one, but searching around I can't find anything mentioning one, so I may have confused this with Disney Infinity getting a sequel (an entirely different game). Magical World comes out in 12 days from now in Europe (assuming no delays), so I imagine you can go work on your thread.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

What do those map titles even mean? They always seemed pretty random to me.

Most of them are, but the gold "P"-rank maps are special in that they all have that same name format, and have a theme based on the variable word.

gamefaqs posted:

These are a special type of Premium Chaos Map displayed with a gold "P" rather than the normal yellow "P" symbol preceding its name. The maps' names follow the pattern of "A nostalgic trip into a ____ fantasy." Each comes in one of four possible levels (25/50/75/99), and each has special qualities denoted by the second half of its name:

ancient: Only contains songs from FFI-III
aging: Only contains songs from FFIV-VI
recent: Only contains songs from FFVII-IX
new: Only contains songs from FFX-XIV
foreign: Only contains songs from FF spinoffs
fierce: Contains mostly BMS songs
pastoral: Contains mostly FMS songs
bracing: Contains many songs with Movers/Magic Pots as monsters for fast leveling

Bracing obviously would be the best for grinding, but I have a maxed out guy for FMS that can powerlevel others, so pastoral would work well too - especially a long quest.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I got the NES jumping mario theme for the heck of it, and while I like the visuals, I can't stand how noisy it is. Would be nice if there were a way to adjust or turn off the audio of the themes.

Are any of other themes pretty nicely classy and worth getting or using? I'm going to stick with default red for the time being I think.

Edit: Here's a thing showing them off I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYen3l-Hi5o

Yeah the hanafuda one seems pretty classy and nice. Also brownie points for referencing old Nintendo's pre-videogame card-making past.

It seems likely we'll see various smash brothers character themes - hoping for a nice game & watch theme with the 3ds literally just making game & watch noises.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 12, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo still makes a surprising amount of hanafuda/card stuff.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Yeah - There was also this rather fetching thing from club nintendo https://club.nintendo.com/rewards-details/a/10505.do

For anyone interested in getting some of nintendo's current hanafudas though, they're all available on Amazon for like 15 bucks or whatever.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 12, 2014

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Spacedad posted:

Yeah - There was also this rather fetching thing from club nintendo https://club.nintendo.com/rewards-details/a/10505.do

For anyone interested in getting some of nintendo's current hanafudas though, they're all available on Amazon for like 15 bucks or whatever.

I got a set of these with Club Nintendo a couple of years ago, and they're really nice. Good, thick card stock and the pictures are pretty nice. Koi Koi is a neat little game.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Getsuya posted:

Combat stages are like PSO/Monster Hunter repleate with endless grinding of the same stages for items (only class is Ranger/Gunner though), the farming is like Harvest Moon, running the cafe is like a business sim, and there are a few rhythm levels ala Ouendan/EBA. All of the parts are very basic versions of what I mentioned, but it works as a whole.

I did get very bored with it after a couple of months but that is still a hell of a run for a handheld title. The only DLC subjectively worth your money is the Pirates expansion, everything else is purely decorative, and you are paying to unlock things already on the cart to begin with. I would get the expansion right when you start playing, otherwise you will be hilarously overpowered for it if you pick it up late in the questlines.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Hanafuda theme is the only worthwhile theme. It changes the cursor movement sound to a wood block and your game selection sound becomes a harp strum and it is just classy as gently caress. And it plays music that sounds like you are listening to the Weather Channel in an upscale Japanese hotel.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
You can crossdress in Disney Magical World. A male Mii can put on a dress in a Disney game. I'm just going to let that sink in for a moment. I'm sure it's unintentional, but it strikes me as hilarious that Disney of all companies would end up having one of the more progressive games on the system.

Disney Magical World: Where EVERYONE is a Disney Princess.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

codenameFANGIO posted:

Hanafuda theme is the only worthwhile theme. It changes the cursor movement sound to a wood block and your game selection sound becomes a harp strum and it is just classy as gently caress. And it plays music that sounds like you are listening to the Weather Channel in an upscale Japanese hotel.

Just what I've always wanted.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Getsuya posted:

You can crossdress in Disney Magical World. A male Mii can put on a dress in a Disney game. I'm just going to let that sink in for a moment. I'm sure it's unintentional, but it strikes me as hilarious that Disney of all companies would end up having one of the more progressive games on the system.

Disney Magical World: Where EVERYONE is a Disney Princess.

In Animal Crossing you can wear lady's things and the hedgehog who sells them to you is like, "this is for ladies but eh you can do what you want in this modern world" and it's not really a big deal or anything.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Just what I've always wanted.

It is. :colbert:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

In Animal Crossing you can wear lady's things and the hedgehog who sells them to you is like, "this is for ladies but eh you can do what you want in this modern world" and it's not really a big deal or anything.

And despite this they still had those tone deaf press releases around marriage in Tomodachi Life.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Heike
Dec 26, 2013
I know there was a similar discussion recently, but I just wanted to double check on this before I spent the money...

I rented Bravely Default thinking I'd give it a shot, but I figured I wouldn't like it enough to want to buy it. Well, I was wrong and now that I'm 20+ hours in, I kind of don't want to give up my saved game. Is it possible for me to transfer my save files, and if so, is it that I can only transfer to the digital copy?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Heike posted:

I know there was a similar discussion recently, but I just wanted to double check on this before I spent the money...

I rented Bravely Default thinking I'd give it a shot, but I figured I wouldn't like it enough to want to buy it. Well, I was wrong and now that I'm 20+ hours in, I kind of don't want to give up my saved game. Is it possible for me to transfer my save files, and if so, is it that I can only transfer to the digital copy?

yes to both.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I got my girlfriend Disney Magical World when it was first released and she still plays it even now. She's almost at 100%, with just one last sticker to go that's a bit of a grind, but other than that she loves it. She's a huge Disney fan, but doesn't really play games beyond Solitaire so it was nice to see her really get into it. Her only real gripes was the lack of Little Mermaid, I think it was just one outfit, and the RNG for one of the Stickers.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

In Japan news:
  • Nu3DS owners have found Smash to load much faster, though other games (Pokemon XY) aren't affected by the better hardware
  • A Terra Formars game will come out in Spring 2015. Probably will be terrible
  • Yo-kai Watch 2 will have a third, standalone improved version -- gotta milk 'em all

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
I'm pretty excited about Rune Factory 4 coming to EU. I hope the price is cheap like for SMT4 though. It's been a long time coming.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

nuru posted:

And despite this they still had those tone deaf press releases around marriage in Tomodachi Life.

One of the big communication problems surrounding Tomodachi Life was that a lot of people were complaining that they'd "removed gay marriage" for the international version when in reality it was never there to begin with and the thing they were removing was a game-corrupting bug that was tied to the character import feature from the DS game. It was closer to Missingno than a legitimate same-sex marriage option and I don't think anyone would have seriously been happy had they included that "feature" somehow.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

In Japan news:
  • Nu3DS owners have found Smash to load much faster, though other games (Pokemon XY) aren't affected by the better hardware
  • A Terra Formars game will come out in Spring 2015. Probably will be terrible
  • Yo-kai Watch 2 will have a third, standalone improved version -- gotta milk 'em all

I'm glad to see that Yo-kai Watch continues to be New Pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Saoshyant posted:

[*] Yo-kai Watch 2 will have a third, standalone improved version -- gotta milk 'em all
[/list]

Don't give the Senran Kagura devs any ideas.

• Locked thread