Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Cleena ER: 44%

Cleena makes a motion of putting a finger to her lips and pressing an ear to the door. Not like she needed any help to hear them, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Luca Jaeger - HP 29/29 | ER: 48%

Is this a new scene?

Luca's about to barge in and stop the conversation, but seeing Cleena he finds himself...agreeing? Huh? The Neumann in his brain is telling him to let the people on the other side keep talking. He shrugs, nods his agreement, and flips on the record function on his phone.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova HP: 29/29 | ER: 42->52

Sofia considers the storefront as she undoes the strap to the helmet. "A good place for a secret meeting. Or an ambush." She puts the helmet back where Mitsue got it from, then turns to her, giving a slight bow. "Thank you for the meal, and for your support. This is likely to be beyond what was expected of you by your employer, so I would understand if you wished to remain here. But I would appreciate it if you would accompany me."

"It would just be the two of us still, of course, but as they say, two heads are better than one."

Once Mitsue is ready, Sofia is going to head in through the front door.

[20:04] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 10 = 10

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Mitsue "Schwarzschild" Hasegawa - ER: 35-36%

Mitsue parks the bike in front of the building, then puts away her helmet as Sofia does. Not the safe part of town, it looks like. She takes a chain from her bike and lashes it around a post, just to be sure.

"Sure, why not. I got two ghosts watching over my bike, anyway." She says with a smirk. Now that she knows about these two girls are following, she could feel them easily with her gravity deflection sense. "Who you meetin' here again?"

8:40 AM <Krysmbot> TurninTrix, 1 = 1

Mitama fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 9, 2014

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Josephine "Steel Nerves" Wainwright HP: 31/31 ER: 43->46%

Meanwhile, a tawny-haired teen is leaning against a lamp post half a block away. She's trying to look inconspicuous, and mostly failing. Maybe it's because she's here with a blond kid she's probably not related to in the middle of the day. Maybe it's because she's kind of blatantly watching the two women who just pulled up down the street. Maybe it's just because most of her exposed skin is a pinkish plastic. Still, eventually she breaks the silence and turns to her friend with the bike.

"Remember, we're just here to see what happens. These probably aren't going to be the kind of people you should fight."

Encroach increase: [20:43] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, 3 = 3

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova HP: 29/29 | ER: 52

"Supposedly members of False Hearts are to meet with certain contacts here. Can you tell if anyone is inside already? Ideally I would like to observe the meeting, but if one side or the other is already here it may be useful to pose as their contacts in order to gather information."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Mitsue "Schwarzschild" Hasegawa - ER: 36->38%

"I think I can..." Mitsue places her left hand against the wall. "Some crazy interference inside though, it's not gonna be easy. Need to focus a bit. Can you hold my other hand?"

A beat.

"You know, for luck." Mitsue looks to the side. "Look, it's easier if we focus on this together, I promise."

That done, she tries again. Her mind clear, she only focus on the movements within the building. Every single vibration, every tiny shift in gravitic force. The distortion rings in her head like white noise, but...

"I can feel five people. Tons of junk lying around inside, nothing specific I can pick out. Whatever's blocking the building's really strong, it's hard to feel out anything else."

Sensory deflection for two enroach, plus Sofia's bonus from Advice:
10:07 AM <Krysmbot> devilmaydry, (7, 6 6 5 3 2 2)(7,)(5) = 25

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova HP: 29/29 | ER: 52

Sofia does indeed take Mitsue's hand. "Luck then."

"Five... interesting. Probably one is an Orcus of some sort." Sofia considers. "It will be worth seeing what happens." With that, she nods to Mitsue and heads inside.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Jan "TigerMAX" Smith - HP: 34/34 E: 41% -> 51%

Jan nods. "Got it, Jojo. Gotta observe potential dangerous elements in our fair city and carefully decide when to use our mighty powers! Speaking of which, I'm gonna turn into a bird now, kay? Watch my bike." Within moments, Jan has transformed into a little sparrow. "How cool is this, JoJo? Huh? Huh?" She hops about, waiting roughly one second for an answer before fluttering towards Mitsue and Sofia, to engage in some close-range surveillance.

I rolled a 4 on my sense check. Woooooooooooo!

Go Go TigerMAX GOOOOOO!

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Josephine "Steel Nerves" Wainwright HP: 31/31 ER: 46%

"Wait, you can do that?" And then Jan was a sparrow and Josephine just can't seem to wrap her head around it. This is Jan we're talking about here. "Watches Mork and Mindy" Jan. Jan shouldn't be collapsing down into something that's a fraction of her size. She should be doing dumb bike tricks and... and...

And she just got stuck with watching the bikes. drat it.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Ex Machina - HP: 32/32 | ER: 38% -> 41%

Ex Machina was not having a good day.

His conversation with Hel given him much to think about, but nothing concrete to work with. The distortions had proven considerably difficult to track. As a Neumann, his senses were no better than any other human's, and these supernatural portals were beyond his reach. Time was a scarce commodity, and it would take too long to find the gates through trial and error. He needed another Overed more suited to the task, but the agents he had been assigned seemed woefully underprepared for this task. Curse this job! This would have been much easier had he remained an Unit Chief. Having freedom to deputize UGN agents as needed to complete a task was far preferrable to dealing with the impenetrable bureaucratic channels of a branch office in the middle of a crisis. Battling back against the annoyance welling up within him, he sat down on a nearby crate against a wall and closed his eyes. He needed to think about this. He was certain he had all the tools he needed to close this case already. He just needed to find the right one.

Time to do some rolling. Sense roll is pitiful, a mere 2, but the Know: Renegade check to discover something is much better at 16, making Ra'id aware of a certain pattern to the gates. If only he could find one to run some science...

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
Scene 2A: Investigation Scene: Kariya, University Hospital
Luca “Finding Truths” Jaegar, Eadan “Cleena” Callaghan

"I don't care about that, though! I've known her since she was a child and you can't just."

"Oh but I can! As a researcher it's my job to procure any new information on the renegade. The renegading replicating at a rate to fully heal a host of its own volition is AMAZING. I'm sending her in for tests. Right now."

"No. You're not. I'll get the branch chief on the line right now if you push this."

It looks like you won't be getting any more useful info out of eavesdropping at this rate...

As Mitsue and Sofia head inside, a masked person in a cloak and military-like body armor stands by the stairwell silently and nods. Leading you both upstairs. It'll be difficult for Jan to follow them from inside, maybe she could sneak in on the meeting by flying outside? Hopefully she doesn't get spotted for acting oddly for a bird...

There, a young man and a few henchman in suits are waiting. The youngman stares intently at Mitsue for a second, but the looks at Sofia, the one who looks to be leading here.

The young man starts asking questions, hard and fast: "First, who are you and why did you contact us. Second, how many overeds did you bring with you. Is it just the two of you or not?"

Sofia has profiling, so I'd recommend rolling Knowledge: UGN to try and figure out just what UGN agents would use as cover... Because Profiling is a power, you could use concentrate for it.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 11, 2014

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

At this moment, Eaden decides it best to slam the door open and slide in sideways, a poo poo-eating grin plastered on her face.

"Did somebody say branch chief? Because we were sent here by the branch chief!" She lets her arms fall to her side. "What's going on here? Unauthorized testing? Shanghai-ing agents for nefarious purposes?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova HP: 29/29 | ER: 54

Sofia takes in the occupants of the room, letting the you man finish before she replies. When she does, she lets a bit of an accent slip into her Japanese.

"Two of our associates were supposed to meet us here but were delayed. You can call me Ms Blue, and this is Ms Green. We work for the Guild. Our boss is looking for information about this area, and sent us to get it. Nothing that would interfere with your thing, of course."

[22:17] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, (8, 7 5 5 4 3 3)(5) = 15

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 11, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Luca frowns at the mention of "tests", then draws his gun and steps into the room behind Cleena, pointing it left and right.

"Suisse Polizei! I mean...UGN...uh...Internal Security! Hands! Let's see hands!"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Mitsue "Schwarzschild" Hasegawa - ER: 38%

Mitsue does her best to look tough, posturing herself in front of the suits. She won't be taken lightly.

She's not sure what a guild is, though.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"Woahstopwait!" Cleena instinctively throws her own hands in the air and motions at Luca to put the gun down. "What are you doing?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"What's the matter? Big old Overed like you lot scared of a little gun?!" Luca sounds a little testy to his partner. "Now, out with it! Who were you talking about?!"

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"I was just joking!" She shouts defensively, waving disarmingly at the others in the room. "We all work for the same side, right?"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Jan "TigerMAX" Smith - HP: 34/34 E: 51%

Going inside, eh? Devious and dastardly things always happen indoors! Except when they happen under moonless nights. That's what makes baddies so dastardly. She flutters off to the side, away from prying eyes, and changes form, this time into the humble anole--of course, giving JoJo a thumbs up before continuing. She scurries into the building on sticky little lizard legs, hoping she hasn't missed anything important.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

The middle aged woman you had heard outside looks perplxed as she looks at both of you from her chair next to the bed side of a bandaged up and unconcious patient. The young woman you met earlier just looks amused as she stnads next to the patient, examining her arm. It looks like the woman had undone some of the bandages and was examining the patient's wounds closely.

"Now, now, you don't need to be so uptight. I am a UGN researcher and this is a new instance of renegade activity I haven't documented before. I use my authority to take this patient in for independent testing! Is that clear? I mean, I could explain how it's new but I'd doubt you'd understand~~."

The middle-aged woman stands up and gets in between the young woman and the patient.

"I SAID no. I don't care about protocol until she's well enough to wake up. Your tests could hurt her even more!"

Neither of them care about the gun Luca is waving around. At all.

Scene 3D: Encounters Scene: Kariya, Abandoned Area
Ra'id "Ex Machina" Belcry, Josephine "Steel Nerves" Wainwright, Mitsue "Schwarzschild" Hasegawa, Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova, Jan "TigerMAX" Smith

"Oh?" The young man says as he reaches into his pocket. He takes out a simple 500 yen coin. "What do I call THIS one?"

With that last sentence several small black orbs orbit around his hand as he flicks the coin in the direction of a lizard that had just entered the room. The coin accelerates to speeds faster than a bullet, and the sound of it breaking the sound barrier erupts throughout the abandoned area like a gunshot!

Ok so EVERYONE in the scene heard what sounded like a gunshot, and Jan, in her lizard form, was just attacked by the False Hearts leader. He rolled a 9(didn't use concentrate) and will deal 19 damage if it hits.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 11, 2014

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Jan "TigerMAX" Smith - HP: 34/34 E: 51%->54%

"Jeepers!" the anole squeaks at the sound and the coin rocketing towards her. Her unique heritage saves her; her mother's strength and her father's speed. With those reflexes, she responds faster than any normal human, and with that strength, she becomes harder than steel. Her little claws dig in, tearing into the brick wall in preparation, mouth open just so, exposing rows of little white cricket-chompers. To most, it would be just a blur, but to a Hanuman, it's like the world is standing still. All there is is her and that shiny coin, slowly coming towards her. She can feel it in the air. The moment is here.

The coin grinds to a halt in her mouth, teeth scraping deep furrows and finally catching on the center. The lizard once again shifts back into a young lady, Jan slowly descending the wall, her half-formed hands taking chunks out of the plaster. Coin still clenched in her teeth, she points at the young man who tried to kill her. "That is not nice. No--that is downright mean trying to kill a defenseless little lizard like that." She bites straight through the coin and spits the other half onto the floor. "Ooh! You've got a lot to explain, buddy! I'm the one and only TigerMAX, protector of the city, and someone who goes around trying to kill defenseless animals just wasn't raised right! Also, people who shoot coins at me."

Used Dragon Scales.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
Ex Machina - HP: 32/32 | 41%

BANG!

...Or perhaps not. Violence. Just the thing the branch chief needed while performing a delicate investigation. Ra'id was up and in motion in a flash. He did not care for disturbances in the middle of his work. As he approached the building the sound had come from, he imparted his robotic friends with a command.

"Ward."

At once, a cloud of nanites dispersed into the atmosphere. Infused with his Renegade material, they would do a fine job extricating all non-Overed presence from the premises, if there were any nonpowered individuals present at the scene...but more importantly, they would alert the troublemakers to his presence. Better to announce his arrival and cut this brawl short. The sooner it ended, the sooner he'd be able to get back to his investigation.

Ra'id activates Warding. All Overed are aware of his general location and presence in the area.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 11, 2014

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Cleena leans in to whisper in Luca's ear. "I don't think it's working." She gives him a consoling pat on the shoulder before approaching the two.

"Experimentation without consent? How unethical! Or at least, that's what I'd say if I figured you actually cared about that stuff," she states flatly as she gets up in the researcher's face. "What's your problem, lady? Give it a rest. We need to talk to the kid, and - correct me if I'm wrong - that likely won't happen if she gets dissected on a table somewhere."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Don't...don't talk down to me!" Luca hisses in disgust. "Right, now let's get this figured out. Who are you people and what's your interest in Dragon Breath here? Lady from outside 'Ex Machina's' office or whatever, what the hell were you planning to do to him?" He faces her, lowering his gun's aim to the floor. "And no technobabble or jargon-filled bullshit. I've had enough of it for five lifetimes."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Josephine "Steel Nerves" Wainwright HP: 31/31 ER: 46%

Shock is a simple thing, really. You receive a stimulus, some primal corner of your brain reacts before the rest realizes what's happens, you're done. You hear a gunshot, you're running for the door before you remember who you're trying to save. Fight or flight, there's nothing simpler.

Running into another overed's warding? That's another story entirely. The moment you enter their zone stretches out towards eternity. The brain's the first to feel the effects. Neurons fire spastically as the renegade takes control. Pupils dilate in an artificial panic. The air turns to static as your sixth senses cut out, your brain suddenly too busy preparing for danger to monitor those frequencies. The sensation travels down your spine, down your nerves, down your wires, and for the briefest moment it feels like you're trapped. Like the renegade has taken control. Like you're a puppet with the strings on the inside.

And then your foot finally hits the concrete and this eternity that lasted less than a second is finally over and you can breath again. You can think again. You can finally slow down a little and figure out where the warding came from...
---
"gently caress." Josephine swears under her breath as she sees Ra'id. If this happened any other time, in any other place, she would wonder why he was here. Was it a set-up? Was he shadowing her? But now? Right now all she can do is keep running and hope she gets there before Jan gets her head blown off.

"I'll explain later, Machina!", she yells as she runs past her superior and charges towards the door.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ex Machina - HP: 32/32 | 41%

Steel Nerves. Worried. Acting rashly. That meant she had something, or most likely someone to protect. That meant she was not alone. That meant...that whoever was inside would most likely assume she had Warded the area and think of her as the backup. There was no time to chase after her. He needed to bring attention to himself before the situation got worse.

"Stop." Ex Machina never screamed or yelled, and he was not about to break that trend now. He did, however, raise his voice quite a bit and gave it a commanding tone. "Those inside, come out now. We have precious little time to waste with petty squabbling."

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"dissecting? No I'd never do something like that on my own authority don't worry about THAT. I'm Rafflesia, a renegade researcher located here at this branch. THIS is Yoko Mizugichi. Just an agent."

"Not JU-" Rafflesia interrupts Yoko again, though.

"Dragon Breath's renegade is healing her wounds at a rapid rate, beyond what's needed to keep her alive. Which is odd in and of itself, and now I want to check to see if her encroachment rate has increased dramatically or not so I need to take a biopsy of one of her renegade glands. But I need to take her into have tests done to FIND one. She probably has one in her brain but I need authorization for that..."

Yoko, the middle aged women starts up now. "Akira doesn't deserve to have tests done to her before she even knows what's going on!"

"Oh, she'll probably be out for a few days if my theory holds true, it'll be FINE."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"Mmmmmmmmmmmno." Perhaps unknown to everyone else, Cleena initiates a call to Ex Machina's cell phone. This decision was well above her paygrade. "So are you worried about it getting out of control and hurting her, or what? I don't seem to really understand what you're getting at."

Even if he didn't pick up, Ra'id would be getting a lengthy message left on his voicemail. Hot mics were a wonderful thing.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Oh, this is fantastic, Luca thinks. Who the hell thinks human vivisection is a good idea?! What kind of idiot seven thirty one--no, no, don't think about that. Calm, calm down...test the waters, weigh the reaction. She's way too bubbly for someone who just had a gun pointed at her face. Ask a question, gauge the response.

"And you can't use an MRI machine for this...why, exactly?"

Well, it sounded reasonable in his head!

Am I allowed to Profile Raffelsia to get a clue as to what her damage is or how to poke her?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Cleena shoots him an incredulous look. "MRI? Really? For renegade?"

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Finding clusters of renegade matrial, something with similar density to other organic material in the body, can't be done with an MRI... do you know what you're even talking about? Anyways! It shouldn't be that big a deal. I just gotta analyze likely places the salamandra strain would manifest. It shouldn't be too bad I promise! AND the branch chief will get a full report of an unknown phenomena! It'll be great!"

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"Yes, of course. You've only told us the same thing repeatedly. That make it true, right?" She gives Luca a goofy smile before getting back into Rafflesia's face. "Oh wait, it doesn't! Explain what's wrong with the kid."

Cleena attempts to blow up Ex Machina's phone with texts in an attempt to get him to pick up and listen in.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Talk about your monomaniacal types! Luca wants to roll his eyes and just shoot her already. Instead he just motions to Cleena. "Yeah, uh, what she said." He takes a deep breath and replays her commentary in his head. The heck was she going on about...?

Mind roll on Info: UGN for what Rafflesia is "authorized" to do.
[12:03:50] <Davin_Valkri> !r 7xx10
[12:03:51] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, (10, 8 7 7 1 1 1)(4) = 14
[12:04:31] <devilmaydry> She totally can during times of emergencies if there is reason to believe the phenomena is temporary and the harm done to others is likely minimal.
[12:04:41] <devilmaydry> which is why she can't operate ont he brain
[12:04:47] <devilmaydry> because that is always dangerous

...does she really want to abuse her authority like that?

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Oh, there's nothing WRONG with her! In fact..." Rafflesia's cheeks go flush. "There is something incredibly RIGHT! The renegade in her system is purposefully speeding up regeneration to brin the host back to full health without any input from her and I don't know the cause at all! USUALLY the renegade will do the bare minimum to rapidly stabilisie the host by multiplying at an indeterminate rate in emergencies but this is TOTALLY different. It's like someone rewrote it! It's AMAZING and I need to get a biopsy to see what the cause is ok!?"

Rafflesia is clearly excited and quite a bit irritated at you getting in her way.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"Good God lady, you're a broken record. Emphasis on broken." Cleena clutches at her temples and grimaces at Luca. "What were we even here to do in the first place?" She points the unconscious agent, then back to her partner. "Right. Attacked by an Exile or something. Great! Looks like that's all the useful information we're going to get out of this before the kid gets chopped or whatever!"

"I recommend not cutting up the kid, for whatever my opinion is worth, which is probably nothing. Oh, and the boss stands informed of all this if he would pick up his bloody cell!" Her cry to Ex Machina is directed towards the ceiling. The call to his phone ends.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"You've recorded all of this? Good call." Luca whispers quietly to Cleena, then cocks his head towards Raffle Ticket. "Right, as UGN Internal Security, I say 'no tests.' Also, Ms, uh, Mizugichi, give us a call when the patient is in any shape to talk."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"Of course I recorded it. I record everything," she grumbles, marching for the door. "It's the only bloody thing I can do right."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova HP: 29/29 | ER: 54

Sofia is about to jump in with an excuse for Jan's arrival, about overly exuberant subordinates, but then Ex Machina announces his arrival in impossible to mistake terms. That has well torn it.

"Window!" She snaps to Mitsue, then makes a run for it herself, choosing a path that should hopefully intersect with Jan so she can grab the little shapeshifter on her way out. Hopefully one of them will catch her on the way down. Even if not, then it's still a more survivable proposition than fighting it out in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Mitsue "Schwarzschild" Hasegawa - ER: 36%

Wait, what's going on? Why can't Jan stay in one place? What did that rear end in a top hat try to shoot her with? And who the hell is spreading his awful musk all over this place?

"Ah, drat it!" She follows after Sofia, making sure to grab Jan if her client doesn't. There will be words after this.

• Locked thread