Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nita
Apr 27, 2008
I was going to buy a 890 Jump to flip but then I thought, what idiot would want such a pointless space ship? In other news my beer fund is up by 600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

redwalrus posted:

e: holoviewer leaves the reduced model around in the browser cache as a CTM file.
This guy has been doing stuff with them @ https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/188038/voons-happy-holo-hangar
http://imgur.com/ULT0iVP,KpuNsiF,Mk...92lVX9o,AFDey3a

Bunch of people who melted their Reclaimer because it didn't give an instant 200% profit on reddit must be pretty mad right now

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nita posted:

I was going to buy a 890 Jump to flip but then I thought, what idiot would want such a pointless space ship? In other news my beer fund is up by 600.

That's some incredible ENRON accounting right there.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

AP posted:

4th and last 890 batch of Jumps just went on sale, 3rd batch hadn't actually sold out. So things have calmed down to ..... still selling more than 1 of them a minute.

:speculate: :homebrew:

Wonder what those Transverse guys are thinking

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zeike posted:

Wonder what those Transverse guys are thinking

"Why did I pitch my idea to :pgi:" :(

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Broccoli Cat posted:

I see zero space-downside to any of it

That you spent $600 on it.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I kinda liked seeing the Planetside Demo, though it was buggy and choppy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gGLE3USB2U

The masturbating space pilot at 6:25 was a nice touch.

Edit: Also, Sandi being smacked around.

http://i.imgur.com/mvVpcus.gif

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 11, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Rincewinds posted:

Incredibly pretty if it wasn't for the very obnoxious motion blur. And a sensible developer would let you "call ahead" and do your shopping and mission taking/handing in during the landing sequence and/or from your landed ship. So I expect the whole time-wasting decon, contraband scan, walking around part to be mandatory.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 11, 2014

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

DatonKallandor posted:

Incredibly pretty if it wasn't for the very obnoxious motion blur. And a sensible developer would let you "call ahead" and do your shopping and mission taking/handing in during the landing sequence and/or from your landed ship. So I expect the whole time-wasting decon, contraband scan, walking around part to be mandatory.

Yea, landing sequence and custom control is something they need to make optional, because it's gonna get tedious. It's fine for the first visits but after awhile you are gonna be smashing that escape button as soon as the sequence starts.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

But in the PU, if someone else is watching you land, how exactly do you skip a landing sequence?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

This illustrates nicely the proverbial dick waving contest.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Rincewinds posted:

Yea, landing sequence and custom control is something they need to make optional, because it's gonna get tedious. It's fine for the first visits but after awhile you are gonna be smashing that escape button as soon as the sequence starts.

It's probably all there to mask loading stuff. So it's probably not skippable.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Rincewinds posted:

All depends on just how often you end up actually having to land on planets. If it's like Elite with it's docking every 15 minutes it'll get old fast, if dumping loot and getting missions is something you do once a gaming session it won't be that a big deal.

If they are into making you do the motions every landing (not improbable since it is probably there to mask loading) they could just have some NPC hanging around some orbital nav beacon where you can dump loot, repair/rearm and get missions. Let immersion people go planetside and do all the immersive npc interaction for a wee bonus to prices to keep people happy, and let casuals just get their business done fast in orbit.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
What I'd actually like to see is the option to do it manually to save time. It works like that in elite. You buy a docking computer and hit dock and go to the bathroom or whatever, and 5 minutes later when you're back, you're all docked up. Or, you fly in manually and dock in 10 seconds.

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?

Courthouse posted:

Let immersion people go planetside and do all the immersive npc interaction for a wee bonus to prices to keep people happy, and let casuals just get their business done fast in orbit.

This actually would make a lot of sense. I think it would work exceptionally well if you could sell everything off at an orbital station for a ~5% fee to cover transporting it/convenience. This would double up by making planetside locations less crowded.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Furism posted:

This illustrates nicely the proverbial dick waving contest.

:windmill: <-- that one's mine

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Icecream! Who wants a scoop?

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!
I think I'll be happy with my Reclaimer that I can start at release going out and being a Space Jew making resources to resell.

Are there any solid numbers to how many Goons picked these up?

redwalrus posted:

Icecream! Who wants a scoop?

Nice man, after watching the live stream this mother fucker isn't going to make it to release, he gonna die

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Rincewinds posted:

The masturbating space pilot at 6:25 was a nice touch.

Edit: Also, Sandi being smacked around.

http://i.imgur.com/mvVpcus.gif

What pisses me off is that there's no flying involved in that whole landing sequence. You're just stuck on a lovely landing sequence and supposed to have a wank at the graphics in the meantime.

Edit: also, once again, CR manages to impress people with a PU that looks great, but has no actual gameplay elements. Am I the only one who's going to be impressed by those graphics once and then go 'ok, so how am I going to have fun with this?'

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 11, 2014

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Bitter Beard posted:

I think I'll be happy with my Reclaimer that I can start at release going out and being a Space Jew making resources to resell.

If you think you'll have a flying Reclaimer on release...

The Avenger has been in the hangar for a year and we still can't fly it, and it's actually modeled.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

rockopete posted:

drat Ben don't stand next to James like that

Jesus. I mean, even everybody's OTHER fat lovable video game bastard Gabe Newell went and lost himself a ton of weight.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Really not liking the Cutlass variants.

Red is ok I guess, since SAR was part of it's description. What is that thing where the turret is supposed to be, the docking collar?

So is the Cutlass Blue just a rehash of what the Avenger was supposed to be? A Police boat that you can haul bad dudes around in.

I guess I was expecting something like a dedicated boarding craft that would strip out the bunks and toilet for more dudes or a salvage one that could chop stuff up and have a mini gripping arm.

Selling from space sounds cool. If CIG doesn't do it maybe someone could sit in orbit and play Pawn Stars. Or if they do let your NPCs fly your ships, load one up and send it off to sell your crap for you.

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Jesus. I mean, even everybody's OTHER fat lovable video game bastard Gabe Newell went and lost himself a ton of weight.

If he lost it, Ben found it.

:downsrim:

Nita
Apr 27, 2008

RescueFreak posted:

Selling from space sounds cool. If CIG doesn't do it maybe someone could sit in orbit and play Pawn Stars. Or if they do let your NPCs fly your ships, load one up and send it off to sell your crap for you.

This is what the Banu Merchantman is for.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rincewinds posted:

Yeah all those transitions and "please stand by for rectal scan" stuff to buy a laser pistol won't loving ever get old

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Bitter Beard posted:

Are there any solid numbers to how many Goons picked these up?

I don't know about goons, but I certainly have one and I'm really hoping to do a one-on-one reclaimer battle with anybody who is willing.

it would be a loving epic spectacle and get many youtube views.

EDIT: capntastic took me up on this and I may not survive for another battle...god it will be hilarious

Broccoli Cat fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 12, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I just tried the Hornet in the AC since we get to see how the whale side lives this week. I couldn't stop laughing throughout the whole session (it was actually a local LAN coop session - we were all laughing since nobody was stupid enough to spend Hornet money on SC so we'd never seen the Mantis or Hornet). It's even more hideously overpowered than I thought. It is literally a god ship, with god guns. A Hornet with a mouse means you never die and everything you click on dies. It's absolutely bonkers.

For fun I cheated some gimbals on my Aurora (thanks wonky outfitting screen for making the very concept of gimbals an item you can transfer between ships) and put the Mantis Gatlings on it. They're like having Omniskys that don't need power and fire as fast as the Repeater line. Completely and utterly mad.

I did notice in the course of that experiment that they fixed the Aurora wobble completely. It actually handles like a proper (cumbersome but without quirks) ship now. Of course it's still pointless to fly it in it's "proper" config (without gimbals) but that's because every ship without gimbals is completely pointless and every ship without Mantis or Omniskys is double pointless.

Also flying anything but mouse means gimbals don't work - which means those controls schemes make even ships with gimbals, you guessed it, pointless.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 12, 2014

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Kurnugia posted:

Yeah all those transitions and "please stand by for rectal scan" stuff to buy a laser pistol won't loving ever get old

All they have to do is feed in some useful info to you during those loading screens. The price of the boar dicks you're planning to buy and haul to Butthole Centauri (where there is obviously a boar dick shortage) for instance. Or what jobs are available. Let the player customize the data feed, and see what they are interested in most. There are ways to make that cutscene useful so that it's not completely wasted time, even if it ends up being completely unskippable.

Plus, I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather see a cool cutscene for the 1000th time than "Loading..." for the 9 millionth in any case.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Hehe yeah the Hornet is fun as hell with a mouse and keyboard. Really hope they don't dumb things down for the HOTAS and joystick people.

I'm getting some serious Morrowind vibes from those player animations in the planetside demo

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I am surprised noone has done the math on this timeline yet. CR said that there will be 5 episodes of SQ42, with 3 month intervals. I did not misunderstand him... did I?
Considering that SQ42 is at the bottom of that list - meaning they will get to it at the end of 2015 probably, 4x3 months means that the 5th SQ42 episode comes out end of 2016. And PU is AFTER that. It puts PU launch - possibly even PU beta launch well into 2017.

I know its a given in this thread that "the game will probably not come out this decade" but I have not seen a CIG schedule yet that would stretch the development so far.

Edit: On the positive side, my kid will be almost 3 by that time and I might actually be able to sneak in some time to play this game

SirTagz fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 12, 2014

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider

SirTagz posted:

I am surprised noone has done the math on this timeline yet. CR said that there will be 5 episodes of SQ42, with 3 month intervals. I did not misunderstand him... did I?
Considering that SQ42 is at the bottom of that list - meaning they will get to it at the end of 2015 probably, 4x3 months means that the 5th SQ42 episode comes out end of 2016. And PU is AFTER that. It puts PU launch - possibly even PU beta launch well into 2017.

I know its a given in this thread that "the game will probably not come out this decade" but I have not seen a CIG schedule yet that would stretch the development so far.

Edit: On the positive side, my kid will be almost 3 by that time and I might actually be able to sneak in some time to play this game

incorrect: SQ42 EP1 and then PU. Not 1-5 and then PU.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Hybridfusion posted:

incorrect: SQ42 EP1 and then PU. Not 1-5 and then PU.

So are they not doing the SQ42 to earn your citizenship thing anymore?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm guessing you earn your citizenship after chapter 1, and that 2-5 are you re-enlisting, or something.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

RescueFreak posted:

So are they not doing the SQ42 to earn your citizenship thing anymore?

They've mentioned that SQ42 content will come out periodically after PU launch, and that your performance or actions in SQ42 will somehow retroactively carry over.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Alternatively they'll just wipe the whole universe and start over based on how your character did in SQ42.

Here, have some awesome clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dekkDN9pKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc4SPXgNyAQ

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 12, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I like how they talk in their own marketing vids about how they're doing things that the engine they picked was in no way designed to do and how that makes it difficult.

I dunno guys, maybe that means you just picked the wrong engine then?

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

macnbc posted:

I like how they talk in their own marketing vids about how they're doing things that the engine they picked was in no way designed to do and how that makes it difficult.

Which engine would you have suggested, then?

There are basically no extant game engines that would do what they needed to which are available for licensing. It was a choice of taking an engine and modifying some portion of it to meet their needs, or doing it all from scratch. I don't see any scenario where doing everything from scratch is a faster or cheaper option than doing some portion less than everything from scratch.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

macnbc posted:

It's ok. They already poached all the talent they need to develop their own engine branch directly from CryTek. :toot:

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

calusari posted:

Hehe yeah the Hornet is fun as hell with a mouse and keyboard. Really hope they don't dumb things down for the HOTAS and joystick people.

Oh wow, that's a big change then. I haven't played AC since it went public for everyone, but originally m/kb players were eating poo poo compared to hotas setups (and everyone was bitching about the OR being overpowered). Is it worth patching up to play now? I remember it being pretty bad at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Octopode posted:

Which engine would you have suggested, then?

There are basically no extant game engines that would do what they needed to which are available for licensing. It was a choice of taking an engine and modifying some portion of it to meet their needs, or doing it all from scratch. I don't see any scenario where doing everything from scratch is a faster or cheaper option than doing some portion less than everything from scratch.

What I don`t get is that then, CR goes on and on about how they had to go over thousands of lines of code to turn the engine from 32 to 64 bits, and how long and painful that process was.

• Locked thread