Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
After building a HG Gundam Wing it made me think, why didn't they have it spin around on the torso and shoot some dude behind him in the show? It can turn around completely to go into flight mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

signalnoise posted:

So you guys spray your parts with them still on the sprues??

After seeing how many pieces they come in and how they go together yeah I've been spraying them on the sprue. Even with just a basecoat the model immediately look better, so it takes care of all the nooks and crannies while still preserving the base color (i sprayed colors close to the plastic color so even after priming they're still somewhat multicolored) which helps with remembering which parts are supposed to be what color when I paint later on.

Actually this RX-78-2 is proving to be much more annoying than the Zaku because of that, but oh well.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It really depends on how the kit is designed. MG Unicorn's psychodrama runners are arranged that for the most part, nubs won't show up in the finished kit. So with the exception of a few parts that I need to snip off and give full coverage, I can just spray the runner and call it a day.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Yeah I'm gonna have a time with this MG.....

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
How bad are the old Wing 1/100 kits?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Not horrible bad (Epyon possibly excepted) but you're going to be dealing with lots of seam lines, antique joint systems, heavy stickerage and decidedly old-school styling and molding. I think they hold up reasonably well for being almost 20 years old, though.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

muike posted:

How bad are the old Wing 1/100 kits?

not as bad as the commercials were
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hJ60JkPXsA

Level 5 gundam...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I still love how smug that girl looks with her improperly built Epyon.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

I still love how smug that girl looks with her improperly built Epyon.

she spent three days building it, you think she could have double checked the instructions :v:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The guy in charge of that TV campaign stumbled onto the Gundam.com chat board while they were putting it together and wound up grilling me for info about the fanbase, and I can confirm that they didn't have clue one as to what what they were selling or how to go about selling it.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I got out my old old kits in preparation of getting my new kits and daaaaaaaaaaamn.

Both the kits and also my 12-13 year old without tools construction jobs are awful. Just terrible.

"HG" Serpent Custom

Back

"HG"Altron and Deathscythe Hell both with broken pieces due to my parent's messy divorce and moving around a bunch.

NG Tallgeese with both shoulders broken

NG Epyon with a million stickers

NG Mercurius and Veyate

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Any Wing 1/144 released prior to 2013 is a dire piece of business and should be avoided at all costs.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pyronic posted:

I got out my old old kits in preparation of getting my new kits and daaaaaaaaaaamn.

Both the kits and also my 12-13 year old without tools construction jobs are awful. Just terrible.

"HG" Serpent Custom

Back

"HG"Altron and Deathscythe Hell both with broken pieces due to my parent's messy divorce and moving around a bunch.

NG Tallgeese with both shoulders broken

NG Epyon with a million stickers

NG Mercurius and Veyate

wow those last 2 look so lovely. What are they, 30 parts? That better be lvl 1

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Bimmi posted:

The guy in charge of that TV campaign stumbled onto the Gundam.com chat board while they were putting it together and wound up grilling me for info about the fanbase, and I can confirm that they didn't have clue one as to what what they were selling or how to go about selling it.

If you could tell any more about it that's actually interesting beyond the fact that they were oblivious marketers, i'd really like to hear it because i loved those commercials when I was younger.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

muike posted:

If you could tell any more about it that's actually interesting beyond the fact that they were oblivious marketers, i'd really like to hear it because i loved those commercials when I was younger.

They worked on me. I got into gundams when they started playing. My brother saw my terrible imitation of a gundam kit and went out and bought me a MG EX-S. That scared me off the hobby until adulthood.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Your brother is an rear end in a top hat with fantastic taste

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

muike posted:

Your brother is an rear end in a top hat with fantastic taste

Going from a NG 1/144 with less than 50 parts to a monster like that made me freeze up. I closed the box and its still under my bed 10 years later because I cant deal with the trauma

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Fauxtool posted:

wow those last 2 look so lovely. What are they, 30 parts? That better be lvl 1

The Epyon, Tallgeese, Vayeate and Mercurius are all from this line:

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN48138/Gun

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN48137/Gun

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN47686/Gun

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN48289/Gun

Fauxtool posted:

Going from a NG 1/144 with less than 50 parts to a monster like that made me freeze up. I closed the box and its still under my bed 10 years later because I cant deal with the trauma

EXACTLY why I decided to get a few HG kits instead of going right for an MG or Real Grade. Im just worried I'll break something or not be able to do it justice.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

muike posted:

It was a long time ago and was pretty much your typical ad-biz research phase as far as he was concerned, so not that interesting. I got the distinct impression that Bandai wasn't giving them very much to work with or really supervising them in any meaningful way and they were kind of floundering without any clear guidance (having run a few projects with the Japanese I can all too sadly relate.)

One thing I made clear to him which they did pick up on was that a big part of the hobby's appeal is the feeling of accomplishment upon finishing a kit, especially a complex one. You can kind of see them going for that in the TV spot, but in all our conversations I never imagined they were gonna go the "Where's Poochy" route with their marketing and oh man did it ever NOT have the desired effect.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Pyronic posted:

EXACTLY why I decided to get a few HG kits instead of going right for an MG or Real Grade. Im just worried I'll break something or not be able to do it justice.

Been practicing on HGs with about 6 more to build. Almost ready to be done with 1/144, everything is so tiny and can barely take any handling. HG flag and HG wing tend to just explode when touched. HGs don't have alot of possible poses either, HG Hizack can hold the gun with both hands and that's about it.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 12, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSeZCUSKbNY I like this one because during the pose for NO GLUE REQUIRED, you can see Wing Zero's arms sagging from the twin buster rifle and the shield with the ugly as sin beam effects. Seriously what the gently caress are those even there for.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
That spot happened after it became clear that the "What's Your Level?" ads were taking a huge poo poo, but it's still awful, and seems pretty good proof that no one knew or cared how the product should be presented.

My favorite bit here besides the terrible posing and photography is the "extreeeme articulation" which they make absolutely no attempt to show or demonstrate. The whole thing looks cheap and thrown-together and it's no wonder people weren't rushing to drop $25 apiece on the loving things.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 12, 2014

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

They worked on me. I got into gundams when they started playing. My brother saw my terrible imitation of a gundam kit and went out and bought me a MG EX-S. That scared me off the hobby until adulthood.

your brother fuckin owns, he's generous as hell.

Also I have my first kit at my parent's place, it's a 1/100 wing zero. I tried to do the panel lines with a toothpick and some black paint. If I ever see it again, I'll burn it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fauxtool posted:

Way to waste your brother's awesome present you dick. :v:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Just did a very quick wishlist pass on 1999.co.jp and... goddamn there are a lot of models I think look cool. More than I figured when I was just looking at MG's.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm happy with HG kits, just because the MG's take up more room. That said, I'm probably going to get the new Kotobukiya-made 1/100 Tsugumori because I'm a sucker for Tsutomu Nihei's stuff and a giant robot is just gravy :allears:.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm happy with HG kits, just because the MG's take up more room. That said, I'm probably going to get the new Kotobukiya-made 1/100 Tsugumori because I'm a sucker for Tsutomu Nihei's stuff and a giant robot is just gravy :allears:.

It's just such a massive trade-off to me. HG kits are less poseable, but take up less room and if I gently caress up on one I'm not out 35-?? bucks. I have actually considered getting multiple HG Titus's just because they're 13 dollars and I can test out how different paints will look on them. On the other hand MG's are just so much cooler!

Feedback question:

Painting up this Strike MG in a purple/tan scheme. Of course this doesn't have all the panels colored but that takes too long and this is just my planning phase.

Going with that tan color for all the previously pink areas, purples instead of reds and magentas. I plan to candy coat the purples to make them pop. Any ideas for specific areas to draw attention with color, other than like making the eyes green? I was planning to paint the vents some color and have the back of the vents weathered metallic to make them look worn on the inside but I can't think of what color to make the vents other than I guess just keeping the stock dark grey.

Original for comparison

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
You can never go wrong with purple/black/silver.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ka0 posted:

You can never go wrong with purple/black/silver.

Never.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
1/144 are just a nightmare for me to paint. Ive been working on my Doven Wolf for almost a month (Weekends) and it's just so much more intricate to mask everything so small compared to MG. MG took me a weekend, this HG is fuccccccccccck. I'm really new to air brushing, so I hope I can just get this down better.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Philthy posted:

1/144 are just a nightmare for me to paint. Ive been working on my Doven Wolf for almost a month (Weekends) and it's just so much more intricate to mask everything so small compared to MG. MG took me a weekend, this HG is fuccccccccccck. I'm really new to air brushing, so I hope I can just get this down better.

Are you airbrushing a constructed model?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
When are they going to hurry up an announce more G-Reco kits? I desperately want a Hecate.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

signalnoise posted:

Are you airbrushing a constructed model?

No, I build it, then break it down into sections, then break those down even further into individual pieces if need be. Paint, then build them back up, and top coat sections, pin wash, weather, decal, then assemble complete and play war.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
oh and I forgot to mention, when I was getting out my old models, I found my old tools:

So I should probably get a new hobby knife.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Philthy posted:

No, I build it, then break it down into sections, then break those down even further into individual pieces if need be. Paint, then build them back up, and top coat sections, pin wash, weather, decal, then assemble complete and play war.

This sounds sarcastic but I know it to be true

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Philthy posted:

After building around 10 HGs, this is what I was thinking was going to be an issue. I was planning to learn painting on a HG but I think it will be way more trouble than that it should be. I wouldn't remind rebuilding a MG, HGs just tend to eat up space.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well I can confirm that MG Norn can not hold its big shield up without falling over. Guess I'll try futuring the hell out of the joints, I'd really like to actually be able to pose with the thing.

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009
Here I go again with the old-as-balls kits.

1/60 "Prodution" Type Gelgoog.

Apparently, the original 1/60 kit came with a light bulb (not an LED) and battery compartment/components to light the mono-eye. This was a re-release; it still has the battery compartment and components, but no light bulb. I might try to substitute it with an LED though.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

That's pimp as poo poo. I love gelgoogs.

It always makes me laugh that it's an advanced OYW mobile suit but it has the shittiest hatch imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Stupid nub cleaning question.

I tried filing down the nub but when the nub was flush, it ended up scratching the hell out of the plastic and I'd have to progressive sand it clean anyway.

I'm using a set of hobby files I got at Lowe's. I'm guessing I'm operating with too low of a grit. Is there a finer grit/better quality file that you guys/girls recommend?

For what it's worth, I generally don't paint and just go the topcoat route.

Edit: I would love to get some suggestions on tools/tips to cut nubs cleanly enough to skip all the sanding to clean 'em up - no objection with sinking $30 into the Tamiya sprue cutters. I already tried these and while they are very clean, they aren't super clean and put a lot of stress on my pointer finger: http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?products_id=3749

MJP fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 13, 2014

• Locked thread