Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Wow I really liked the "final" level in adventure mode. Really intense and had a ton of pressure on from the beginning of the level, and watching the AI completely turn the tide after you get 1000 kills is a really satisfying moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Bruceski posted:

I've been in that exact situation of 2 seconds over the clear time. My sympathies.

That mission is so fun just for smashing things, but I'm dreading actually trying to do it for real

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

AnotherGamer posted:

Since this thread doesn't seem to be aware of it, most if not all of the minibosses have additional ways of exposing their weakpoints that can also damage other enemies near them: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/745183-hyrule-warriors/70292393

Short version: whenever any of them do an attack where they flash white, hitting them at the right time with their weakness causes them to screw up in some way that leaves them open afterwards.

Woah. That needs to go in the OP. Like I'll probably forget to do it, but if I run into a mission that I'm having trouble A-ranking that will be some good info to have on hand.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Ok that's pretty drat awesome. Hopefully I can use that when I make my first attempt on Zelda's level 2 Baton. I'm kind of dreading it with how many comments it's gotten in the thread.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That guide will actually help quite a bit on the level 2 baton mission because there are both moblins and aerolfos to worry about.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

AnotherGamer posted:

Since this thread doesn't seem to be aware of it, most if not all of the minibosses have additional ways of exposing their weakpoints that can also damage other enemies near them: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/745183-hyrule-warriors/70292393

Short version: whenever any of them do an attack where they flash white, hitting them at the right time with their weakness causes them to screw up in some way that leaves them open afterwards.

That would have been nice to know a while back.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Let's consolidate:

Target flashes white.

Lizalfos/Dinofos/Fiery: Bow.
Poes: Bow.
Redead/Gibdo: Bow.
Moblin/Shield: Bombs.
Darknut: Unknown
Goron: Unknown
Hylian: Unknown

On looking at it, there's a lot of bow.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 12, 2014

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Darknut appears to be Boomerang.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I really, really hate playing Zant. He's fun to watch, but he's so loving weak. Not to mention all of his specials save maybe two are useless and his super attack takes for-loving-ever to wind up.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Now that I'm pretty close to done with the single player content of Smash 3DS, I'm starting to play through this game in earnest. I went ahead and added everyone in the second post, and my NNID is ShadowNinja64 in case anyone not in the second post wants to add me.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm starting to think I should just give up on getting tier 3 weapons for everyone. The last couple tier 3 missions are just downright brutal to simply win, let alone A-rank. I think Agitha's is the first time I lost due to dying myself outside of some beat all enemies or quiz missions.

So much for Warriors games being piss-easy.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a list anywhere of what monsters spawn on which maps? All the ones I can find from googling just say what monsters drop which material, the easy and obvious part. :ughh:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Asimo posted:

Is there a list anywhere of what monsters spawn on which maps? All the ones I can find from googling just say what monsters drop which material, the easy and obvious part. :ughh:

Some kind person here compiled a list!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Since we're all making spreadsheets, I made a filtered one for all the materials so you can see where to go to get what.

It's super handy and he deserves mad props!

Rocketlex posted:

This might be the first game I've ever played where I've seriously cared about the ability to cancel out of my moves. In some weird way I feel like playing this game might make me better at games like Bayonetta.

I tried the Bayonetta demo last night and I think I feel the same way. It felt a lot like playing Hyrule Warriors, and I felt like I kinda knew what I was doing, even though I was sucking. Bad. But before I played this game, I think I wouldn't have had any clue how to get better. Now I feel like I could get better at it with practice!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Can someone explain to me Agitha's heavy "riding the butterfly" move? I don't understand how it works, but it seems like it could be powerful if I did

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Can someone explain to me Agitha's heavy "riding the butterfly" move? I don't understand how it works, but it seems like it could be powerful if I did

I don't think anyone really understands how to use it effectively. Most of its attacks seem to wiff unless you can get the enemies stuck in the air ahead of time, which doesn't always work on captains.

I usually just hop onto it at the end of a combo and immediately use the body slam to get off and deal some damage. Definitely not looking forward to her level 3 weapon stage.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah I'm getting close to finishing the adventure map, and the only ones I'm really dreading are the level 3 maps for Agitha, Zant, and Lana's summoning gate. :(

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Definitely not looking forward to her level 3 weapon stage.

How do you feel about fighting a dozen dinolfos ten seconds into the battle?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I unlocked Link's level 3 gauntlets last night and I just want to reiterate that stage is super fun to play, though it doesn't hurt that the gauntlets are fun to use. Just right off the bat you're under siege from poes everywhere. I really enjoyed unlocking the gauntlets, even if it did take about three tries.

I also unlocked Ghirahim and tried him once. He's... weird. I'm not really sure I understand the tether thing he has going on. Also I'm pretty sure the only thing worth doing with him is the combo where he rises up and slams into the ground. That and liberally dodge cancelling because holy poo poo he loves adding flair to his attacks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

I unlocked Link's level 3 gauntlets last night and I just want to reiterate that stage is super fun to play, though it doesn't hurt that the gauntlets are fun to use. Just right off the bat you're under siege from poes everywhere. I really enjoyed unlocking the gauntlets, even if it did take about three tries.

I also unlocked Ghirahim and tried him once. He's... weird. I'm not really sure I understand the tether thing he has going on. Also I'm pretty sure the only thing worth doing with him is the combo where he rises up and slams into the ground. That and liberally dodge cancelling because holy poo poo he loves adding flair to his attacks.

Ghirahim's gimmick is that if you use Strong Attack on an enemy his special combos will include an additional hit centered on that target as long as they're tethered to him. A lot of his special combos also include a ton of additional moves, as you probably noticed, and some of them aren't very useful and should be canceled (his XXXYY combo is a great crowd-cleaner, for example, but his XXXYYY roots you to the spot for way too long for way too little damage). His XXYYY combo is probably his best boss-killer.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Agitha lives or dies by that loving butterfly. Its Y attacks whiff over basic mooks (the bodyslam clears them right out, though), but the full Y combo can do more damage than a whole weak-point break against officer-type enemies and can shear off 3/4's of a boss monster's weak point bar in one go. The pain about it is that you need to make sure you stay centered on the target, or Agitha will fly right past it thanks to her attacks' erratic movement.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 12, 2014

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

(his XXXYY combo is a great crowd-cleaner, for example, but his XXXYYY roots you to the spot for way too long for way too little damage).

On the other hand he does that dumb finger-snapping teleport dance so it's great.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Okay, I finished up my material tracker for the badges. It's slower to think about things that I expected since there are a lot more badges than there were things to make in other games I've set up a spreadsheet for, but it's still perfectly useable and simple to use:

1) Keep track of how many of each material you have (You can check your quantities in the Apothecary).
2) Put an "X" in the "Created?" column for every badge you've made.
3) There is no step three.

Note that marking a badge as created won't update the materials you have so you'll have to keep track of that, but other than that everything knows what it should be doing. Materials in the badge list will light up when you have enough for that particular item, and badge names will light up when all of their materials are lit up and when you've marked their prerequisite badge as created.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
I'm getting a redirect loop from your link JavaJesus. Which is a shame because that'd be drat useful to have.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Hm, I tried to get a direct download link so you guys wouldn't have to deal with Google trying and failing to open it before providing a download link, but apparently something didn't work right. Let's try the standard sharing link and see if that works any better.

*edit* Regarding the slowness I mentioned, I started filling it out for myself and it looks like it's only slow when the section showing the overall material requirements is in view. So effectively it'll go slow when updating your material counts and marking badges as created for Agitha and Darunia (Everything needed to be alphabetical to work right so those two are the big winners at the top of the list), but marking created badges for everyone else should go fairly quickly.

JavaJesus fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 12, 2014

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

I loved that mission because it spawns Lana and three big icy poes right in front of you, and by the time you deal with all of them you'll have like 500 kills just from one small passageway.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

mabels big day posted:

I loved that mission because it spawns Lana and three big icy poes right in front of you, and by the time you deal with all of them you'll have like 500 kills just from one small passageway.

Once you get into the swing of breaking one weak point after another they all just sort of take damage just by being anywhere near you. :v:

I needed to get a 5 star 2nd tier gauntlet to really do work though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

How do you feel about fighting a dozen dinolfos ten seconds into the battle?

This is the worst. The worst thing in this entire game

gently caress that level

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm losing patience with Adventure Mode in general. The final stages swamp you with so many gimmicks and HP-wall monsters and no amount of leveling seems to do anything because all the baddies just scale with you.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I'm losing patience with Adventure Mode in general. The final stages swamp you with so many gimmicks and HP-wall monsters and no amount of leveling seems to do anything because all the baddies just scale with you.

Yeah, that's the most frustrating thing about them. They're not as bad on characters who actually deal damage reliably and don't waste tons of time, but for the bad characters they're just awful. I finally managed to beat Zant's level 3 by the skin of my teeth, and thankfully I never have to touch that awful character again. I wish I had some advice for it that isn't just slam your head into it repeatedly until it manages to work once, but I don't. God drat Zant is so bad.

Also I'm beginning to wonder whether the darkness+ skill even works.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

chumbler posted:

Yeah, that's the most frustrating thing about them. They're not as bad on characters who actually deal damage reliably and don't waste tons of time, but for the bad characters they're just awful. I finally managed to beat Zant's level 3 by the skin of my teeth, and thankfully I never have to touch that awful character again. I wish I had some advice for it that isn't just slam your head into it repeatedly until it manages to work once, but I don't. God drat Zant is so bad.

Also I'm beginning to wonder whether the darkness+ skill even works.

Have you managed Agitha's? Zant's I can see myself getting with enough attempts since I've been close but Agitha's is just ridiculous. She's completely unequipped to deal with the enemies that it's throwing at her!

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I beat that level at 40 with Agitha. Just run away and use YYX and YYYYX a bunch. It's not really that hard.

Lurkcopter
Aug 6, 2013
A little thing I noticed about Ghirahim's Y-X-X: you can actually dodge-cancel out of the part where he conjures up the anti-gravity field and prepares to smack the guy trapped in it into the ceiling, but the field will still hold the guy for a bit. This lets you pretty much effortlessly set up a new combo. And if you've tethered yourself to the guy before(which you always should), it will last long enough for you to get off another powered-up Y-Y-X-X or Y-Y-Y-X off.

Ghirahim's pretty much one of my favs now that I've gotten into the habit of abusing this and his red string of fate.

Oxxidation posted:

I'm starting to feel that a map's difficulty in A-ranking it is mostly down to the number of powered-up moblins. Those guys can just waste so much of your time, I've started just breaking off from the fight when they're at half-health and hoping my own side can handle the rest.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Does anyone have videos of the "critical fails" mentioned earlier working? That sounds insanely useful/cool

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Lurkcopter posted:

I'm starting to feel that a map's difficulty in A-ranking it is mostly down to the number of powered-up moblins. Those guys can just waste so much of your time, I've started just breaking off from the fight when they're at half-health and hoping my own side can handle the rest.

This is a critical strategy for the high-level maps. Named captains usually just have too much drat HP. But most of the time you only need to knock them down to 40% HP and they'll usually die trying to take over one of your keeps.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Bloodly posted:

Let's consolidate:

Target flashes white.

Lizalfos/Dinofos/Fiery: Bow.
Poes: Bow.
Redead/Gibdo: Bow.
Moblin/Shield: Bombs.
Darknut: Unknown
Goron: Unknown
Hylian: Unknown

On looking at it, there's a lot of bow.

Shadowlyger posted:

Darknut appears to be Boomerang.
It also mentions that Darknuts can get confused and have a chance to expose their weakpoint if you hit them only once and back off since they expect combos.

But yeah, this really needs to go in the OP since I had no idea about this and it would have been great to know ages ago.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 12, 2014

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Does anyone have videos of the "critical fails" mentioned earlier working? That sounds insanely useful/cool

I've tried a few of them out and they really are cool. I have no idea how to provide video from a Wii U though. I could screenshot, but that's probably not illustrative enough.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I beat that level at 40 with Agitha. Just run away and use YYX and YYYYX a bunch. It's not really that hard.

Yeah I try that, except even with a 5 star tier 2 weapon she still takes way too long to kill anything. There must be something hosed up with enemy scaling because my Agitha is nearly my highest character now at level 52 and it takes like 5 minutes just to kill a pack of dinolfos or Link at the end. She also can't juggle any of the bosses past a single BY once they're in the air because anything past that takes too long and they either flip out or just simply fall out.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 12, 2014

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Then maybe I'm a god?????????

I used a 4 star weapon with Light+, Strength 3, and Strength 5. I also beat it on my first try with both Heart Pieces, but tbf I only had 5 seconds left at 14:55. It really isn't that hard.

Oh if a Dino exposes it weakpoint I usually rush in and do YX dash cancel YX. You can loop two on generals if you time it right. That helped too.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
I did it. I unlocked all the weapons and their tiers. Now I get to work on chipping away at Evil's Bane... and presumably every other weapon I want that skill on. :shepicide:

For Agitha's Level 3, I did the back off strat but used YYYX into butterfly instead of YYX, helped get the little guys in the air so the butterfly's Y would hit. If you plan on using the butterfly at all, put Strong Attack+ on your weapon.

Dealing with officers, try to bait out their weak points, hit them with an arrow once they do to extend their stun duration, then use YX, dodge, wait a half-second, Y; should be a guaranteed smash. Enemies generally seem to have longer recovery when their weak point is exposed anyway, but the arrow helps ensure you get into range before it goes away. You can use YX whenever, but hero enemies like Ganondorf will usually recover on the way down. This will be a helpful thing to practice for one of Agitha's A-rank Heart Containers later on.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Do they ever do anything with that big bridge to lava dragon land in Eldin Caves? I don't remember it in any Zelda game and it's so weird whenever I pass by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jesus. I've been playing this game for what feels like forever and I'm only about halfway through the hard mode skulltulas and I only have 40 loving percent of the Adventure Mode levels cleared. I still haven't even unlocked Zant and so far I've just been unlocking level 2 weapons. Only one of my characters is above level 40, although most of them are starting to get close.

The expansion packs are coming with another entire Adventure Mode map each? I almost hope that isn't true, that's a hell of a lot to plow through. :stare:

• Locked thread