Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
Find another for fishchat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

There is another swimming by, with coloured markings. You struggle to understand its movements.

(aIR)

Your feathers flare. It's there among the leaves, the predator; slitted eyes gleaming, ears up, advancing softly with claws dug into the branch. Its mouth opens for a moment and you glimpse its tiny, dreadful teeth. Directly ahead, in a wall niche, one of your kind slumbers.

You've seen others chased by this thing, and caught, their wings ripped off, their necks torn open. It moves fast when it wants to. This slow approach is only to get close. When it strikes, it will be too fast to stop.

Call an alarm.
Try to distract the predator.
Attack the predator alone.
Wait and take the wall niche.

No change in stats.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Call the alarm.

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.
Alarm I'd guess is the birdiest option.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Attack like a suicidal angry bird.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Scream your birdie heart out.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

Quack like a :psyduck:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

:siren:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

I raise you
:ducksiren:

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Oops. Cry wolf bird

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Kamikaze.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

You call out for danger. The prey stirs, thrashing its wings as it sees the danger so close. It rises from the confined space. A little too far away, the predator hisses. A third bird comes to your aid.

(eARtH)

This is the end. The ground is soft beneath you as your killer approaches, the earth damp, open and hungry. A moment of pain, a last helplessness, and you will begin the long process of sinking beneath. The worms await, threading their hidden ways. They have the patience and they will devour.

Only moments are left to you now. Just time to look up, a last sensation—then its jaws are on you—

Pain slices through you, your quiet reflection torn away by the agony of departure. There is more to do here. It was not long enough, not nearly long enough—

quote:

You gasp and sit up, taking a huge gulp of air. It's cold. Your jeans are sodden with mud, clammy against your thighs. Fallen leaves have piled up around your ankles. Rain patters around you, soaking through your jacket. And the stones, the little memorials, are nothing, as empty and dead as the rest of the clearing.

The ground makes a thick, wet sucking sound as you pull your legs free and stand up. Dad stands aside, looking down his thin nose at your efforts. He makes no move to help.

Out of curiosity, you take out the humerus anyway, watching the glow taint your skin as you reach through it, feeling for the pets buried here. There's nothing. You're done here.

All the way home, you have a nagging feeling that you missed something important.

quote:

You make your regular trek to the grocery store alone. You could take a bodyguard, of course; but living with the undead all day, every day makes you value the moments you get away from them.

Drawing near to the shop, you see something has changed. The shutters are down and the door is bolted. The rusty van which is usually parked round the side is not there.

Of course, you've noticed people clearing out of town lately. But this could be a serious problem. You need to eat. You need to clean.

quote:

You slip down the side and check the back of the building. The rear door is a plain, metal panel and somebody has forced it open. The locking bar hangs loose and the door is open a few inches.

You peer inside. The only light gleams through the front shutters. But the shop looks undisturbed; maybe a little low on stock.

Get your usual shopping and leave some money on the counter.
Take as much as you can carry without paying.
Come back another time.

Stats posted:

A successful necromancer must manage an array of vital character statistics.

Control: 66%
Energy: 56%
Luck: 57% (-6)
Corruption: 4%
Humanity: 21%
You might as well have erected a sign on your house saying NECROMANCER BASE HERE.

Your undead army consists of:
Skeletons: 6
Zombies: 3
and it has killed 3 people in total.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Take what you need and leave some money.

(Don't they have self-checkout lanes? :raise:)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Free food? Free food!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

I wonder what happened there.

Leave money, if it's a trap we're doing the right thing and if it's a zombie apocalypse we won't be needing it

....wait

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

So how did we mess up with the pets?

Anyways, leave some money; we can always get more.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Take everything that isn't nailed down.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
This has bad news written all over it.

Come back later

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Free stuff is the best stuff.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Looks like we won't need money pretty soon, leave the cash behind

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Bastienne is fair and leaves money behind. Stealing is bad.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Cry Havoc posted:

Anyways, leave some money; we can always get more.

I figure as a fish we should've gone straight home instead.

Leave some money.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

Yeah, you command the dead and terrorise a small town. But that doesn't mean you're a thief. You still have a few months of money left in your parents' bank accounts. You gather what you need, work out the total, and slip it underneath the cash register. As you hoist the bags, you feel a moment of ethical satisfaction.

As you step round the corner, something slams you in the face and knocks you back into the scrub. You taste blood in your mouth. Everything looks blurry. What just happened?

quote:

A shadow falls across you. You look up at a dark figure blocking the sun. Two other shapes step forward to flank it. Who—?

"Look for a glowing stick," the lead one says. "That's how she controls them."

No. Oh no. It's the Kendall kids. You're completely alone and out of sight from the street. Mikey and Denzil reach for you, grinning. The humerus is hidden inside your jacket. But they'll surely find it.

Kick them away.
Scramble back as quickly as you can.
Make a threatening bluff.
Huddle and try to summon the undead.

Stats posted:

Energy: 56%
Luck: 59% (+1)
Humanity: 22% (+1)
You might as well have erected a sign on your house saying NECROMANCER BASE HERE.

Honestly, I'm worried about your stats. We're going to make some rolls soon, and I don't know that 66% as your highest primary will win rolls related to that stat. Mind you, I'm pretty certain you won't die, but something bad will probably happen.

Cry Havoc posted:

I don't know the exact sequence needed, if there's some leeway etc., but I think Bobbin's got the right idea. Also we probably shouldn't have punched at the squirrel.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Summon the hordes!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

We suck at this! Scramble and retreat!

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Bluff. We'll turn them all into skeletons, just watch us.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Hordes!

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

Bluff because we came alone.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Arise my minions, and wipe the floor with these guys!

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Oh man oh man this is bad. Call for reinforcements!

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
Coming alone was a bad idea. Send in the bones!

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

You roll into a ball and thrust a hand inside your jacket to touch the humerus. You taste dirt and feel Mikey and Denzil's rough hands on your shoulders. With a desperate effort you try to throw a command through the humerus to reach your horde, several streets away at home. You only have a couple of seconds before your hand is dragged away and they turn you over. Did the message get through?

You struggle. While the other two hold you down, Sean advances on you, baring his teeth in a crackedy grin. You remember him sticking his knife into the soldier without a moment's hesitation.

Try to negotiate.
Make a supreme effort to escape.
Shout for help.
Stop resisting and wait for an opportunity.

Stats posted:

Energy: 54% (-2)
Luck: 59%
Humanity: 22%

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Let's buy time by negotiating...

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Escape.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

We can talk this out guys.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Stall them by negotiating until the zombies get here.

AutistTree
Mar 28, 2010
Talk to buy time

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
Wait until their guard is down. They don't communicate with words and we suck at escaping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I don't know the exact sequence needed, if there's some leeway etc., but I think Bobbin's got the right idea. Also we probably shouldn't have punched at the squirrel.

From what I managed to figure out after a few tries there is a bit of leeway, probably only one though, and I think there's more than one correct option for some. For example, my first time I talked to the squirrel, warned them off my food, hid to recover strength (because home is apparently a long way away), and finally I waited to take the niche for myself (where I was promptly told I had hosed up on the next page). I still got the pets to approve of me then. Edit: (Forgot a sentence.) On another run I pretended to punch the squirrel and called a warning for the bird and still got the same outcome.

Thanks for doing this by the way. Never heard of Choice of Games until Bobbin's post in the recommendations thread, and now I have a few things to do on my Kindle in between books aside from blankly browsing the web now that my job has entered the slow season.

Onean fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 13, 2014

• Locked thread