Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Looks like 16x8, and pretty much the same layout as the last one, so yeah. Massive.

And it looks like we get one of these for every DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Looks like 16x8, and pretty much the same layout as the last one, so yeah. Massive.

The shirt icons are all unlockable costumes, right? This DLC sounds pretty great.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I wonder what the extra weapon icons are for. Between Epona, Volga, Cia, and Wizzro that should only be 8, or 12 if you have to unlock them from the map rather than them just coming with the dlc. That still leaves at minimum one weapon spot left over. Maybe I'm just forgetting something.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

a cartoon duck posted:

How do you feel about fighting a dozen dinolfos ten seconds into the battle?

That is the incorrect way to play that stage. The correct way is to immediately turn right the gently caress around and go capture every keep you can before the Allied Base inevitably winds up getting attacked. Then you clear everything out of there, get to about 1000 kills, and then go punch Link for a while because all the Weak Point Smashes you're going to get on him will easily get you past 1200 kills.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

chumbler posted:

I wonder what the extra weapon icons are for. Between Epona, Volga, Cia, and Wizzro that should only be 8, or 12 if you have to unlock them from the map rather than them just coming with the dlc. That still leaves at minimum one weapon spot left over. Maybe I'm just forgetting something.

They're 8-bit weapons.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Dastardly posted:

They're 8-bit weapons.

Please tell me there's an 8-bit Epona.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Darunia's level 3 stage is another hellish one, with all the HP sponge moblins everywhere. I managed to do it in time, but I took so much damage because I'm constantly getting hit from moblin attacks offscreen. Though the worst part is Zelda who absolutely wrecks me, so maybe if I can avoid getting hit by her so much I might be able to do it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I wish the 8-bit weapons were costumes or something. I don't like them but I'm compelled to unlock everything. It sucked when my best weapon for Link was an 8-bit Sword, I felt considerably less epic stabbing King Dodongo with a set of giant pixels.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Rocketlex posted:

Please tell me there's an 8-bit Epona.

Probably not, but Ghirahim gets a giant 8-bit arrow as a weapon because why the gently caress not.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I think the 8-bit weapons look rather silly. I'd much rather have reskins of existing weapons or costumes instead of 8-bit stuff.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I wish the 8-bit weapons were costumes or something. I don't like them but I'm compelled to unlock everything. It sucked when my best weapon for Link was an 8-bit Sword, I felt considerably less epic stabbing King Dodongo with a set of giant pixels.

Want a horrible attempt of a Blocky Bright Green Tunic and Link's head being unchanged.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Inverness posted:

I think the 8-bit weapons look rather silly. I'd much rather have reskins of existing weapons or costumes instead of 8-bit stuff.

I'm pretty sure the 8-bit weapons are exactly that; reskins.

Edit: although, I do wish that they weren't all the orange and green sword style. Maybe for Darunia give him the LTTP hammer

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'm of a similar mindset, but I figure at least the 8-bit sword didn't replace Link's tier-3 sword, so it's not like they're necessarily the best weapon of their type. They're funny and goofy, but you won't be at a disadvantage using something else.

I would like to be able to swap weapon skins though. Ganondorf's tier-1 swords are the best looking by far and his tier-3 are some awful Final Fantasy garbage.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

MarquiseMindfang posted:

It sucked when my best weapon for Link was an 8-bit Sword, I felt considerably less epic stabbing King Dodongo with a set of giant pixels.

I'm in that same position, but I feel the exact opposite way about it

Edit: I want an 8-bit weapon for Fi so she turns into a big pixelly sword.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm in that same position, but I feel the exact opposite way about it

Edit: I want an 8-bit weapon for Fi so she turns into a big pixelly sword.

She gets one, supposedly.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I just did Link's L3 sword mission and it was an absolute joke...
I can't figure out if it was because my Link was overleveled (48) had a ridiculous 8-bit sword or if the mission was just easy-peasy.
Cleared the whole thing in like 8 minutes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I just did Link's L3 sword mission and it was an absolute joke...
I can't figure out if it was because my Link was overleveled (48) had a ridiculous 8-bit sword or if the mission was just easy-peasy.
Cleared the whole thing in like 8 minutes

The mission difficulties are wildly unbalanced, it's true.

Speaking of which: Ruto, level 3.

Will leveling her up help her to take down these enemies quicker? If not, I think I'm done. This isn't even fun-frustrating, this is just atrocious design. Funneling every single enemy wave into my allied base in the first 2 minutes of the mission - funny. Making me run away from that meat grinder every 5 minutes to stop Cucco hordes, where two pecks can drop me to a B rank on damage - cute. Both of those things at once - gently caress you.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Oxxidation posted:

Will leveling her up help her to take down these enemies quicker? If not, I think I'm done. This isn't even fun-frustrating, this is just atrocious design. Funneling every single enemy wave into my allied base in the first 2 minutes of the mission - funny. Making me run away from that meat grinder every 5 minutes to stop Cucco hordes, where two pecks can drop me to a B rank on damage - cute. Both of those things at once - gently caress you.

I didn't pay the cucco's a single visit when I did it and just spent the time killing the captains all nicely lined up outside of my base.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Yea the cuccos fighting is basically a red herring. Just ignore them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dastardly posted:

I didn't pay the cucco's a single visit when I did it and just spent the time killing the captains all nicely lined up outside of my base.

I ignored them and they responded by either a) sending out unstoppable raiding parties on my own base, or b) bum-rushing me when I was fighting Zant. The cucco gimmicks in this game are an absolute nightmare.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The cuccos should leave you alone if you move quickly enough. I didn't have trouble with that one.

The general point though, I agree with. The vast majority of this game has been really fun because killing single enemies was usually not too difficult. The challenge came from not getting hit and accomplishing things in a timely manner.

When every single captain on a map is taking almost as long to kill as actual bosses it kinda stops being fun. I wish they'd found ways to make endgame maps harder besides giving everything a ton of HP.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Dastardly posted:

They're 8-bit weapons.

I can't even figure out what the hell that is. An 8 bit croissant?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Calaveron posted:

I can't even figure out what the hell that is. An 8 bit croissant?

Boomerang?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's her Giant's Blade, which is naturally a little curvy, in a medium that doesn't really do curves.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yes it's using the 8-bit model of the original LoZ boomerang.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So i take it Agitha starts to suck in the higher level Adventure mode levels? Because I've been running her through the Hard mode story levels and she actually kind of kicks rear end. It's hella fun knocking everyone into the air and juggling them with a big rear end butterfly, and dropping huge herc beetle's (or whatever they are) on dudes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Flytrap posted:

So i take it Agitha starts to suck in the higher level Adventure mode levels? Because I've been running her through the Hard mode story levels and she actually kind of kicks rear end. It's hella fun knocking everyone into the air and juggling them with a big rear end butterfly, and dropping huge herc beetle's (or whatever they are) on dudes.

The BBY beetle is basically all you're going to do later on with her. Her direct comboing is terrible compared to someone like Ganondorf or Link since her regular swings are slow, don't hit a large area, and leave her really open. Also the butterfly is really cumbersome and difficult to hit with much of the time. I managed to barely clear her level 3 by doing what other people suggested and just spam the BBY beetle and occasionally the BBBBY one if it's safe and ignoring the dinolfos until the end, but I don't think I'm going to really use her again. Which is a shame because I like the idea of the character. She just still kind of feels like a half completed character like Zant does.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have safely avoided every Agitha-gets-a-bonus-if-you-A-Rank level I can find because I played with her once and she was an absolute mystery.

I do think I'm starting to figure out Ghiranim, though. If I can get him a weapon that doesn't suck and avoid his more useless combos, I should finally be able to start making him work. I'm still B ranking the loving devastating attacks levels. Yeah, I know about the bow, but I kill about 25 of the 30 damned enemies I'm supposed to and one of them manages to sneak in that single hit. :argh:

I do wish fewer stages involved dumping hordes of moblins or dinolfos into them to distract you. I get that's what they're there for. It's particularly aggravating in the "Kill x number of enemies" stages, in which your entire team assembles to stab you in the back so that the giant monster can catch up to you and eat your hearts while you're trying to slaughter stalchildren.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Agitha is meant to be the worst character of the cast. Whether you think that's good design is up for debate.

Zant is extremely good though. He benefits heavily from Strong Attack and Darkness skills so make sure to always have them. He is however the worst at Giant Boss weakness proccing, even worse than Agitha. If you're fighting other PC's just use YX like every other character. You just have to remember to spend your psycho meter pretty much every time after you get the weakness super.

You can also take advantage of his bugged super spin if anything gives you too much trouble, though it isn't great against giant bosses.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I cannot stop playing this game. It is cool and almost maddening. Trying to clear adventure mode. Made it to one of the hard levels at the top of the map with a Level 40 Ganondorf and a Rank 1 weapon and kept getting beat up badly. I've been grinding in a Zelda game... Haven't had to do that since Zelda II on NES.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Oxxidation posted:

I know I'm a little late to the party, but the tagline for this thread isn't just a joke. Do not pursue Cucco. If they're not actively attacking you, your main base, or your VIPs, leave them alone. In the case of the Cuccos capturing bases, just let them do it; you're not going to be short on kills on that map and they won't really endanger your main base, and Fi won't attack any of their bases, so all you have to do is just not go into the bases they control, because they'll do a ton of damage to you and eat up a lot of your time. And all of the bases they capture you can simply avoid entirely.

It's still a hard map, but it's a lot more manageable once you figure out that you can completely ignore the Cuccos. Beeline for the three Aerolfos, then make sure Fi is safe once they're dead, and then go kill Zant. You don't need to capture a single keep because you'll probably get north of 1000 kills just from securing your base and VIP.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Agitha is meant to be the worst character of the cast. Whether you think that's good design is up for debate.

I don't think Agitha is explicitly intended as a Dan-like joke character (though her design and giggles really get on my nerves), it's just that she's such an oddball that most people rightfully get sick of her before discovering her strengths. That butterfly does some serious damage if you can actually line up full combos with it, and her ground game revolves more around zoning opponents and setting up traps than just slugging it out because her basic combo is such a jerky mess.

Zant just drives me up the wall, though. All of his special seem worthless except for XXXY and XXXXXY, his super attack takes an age to wind up, his weak-point break is the worst in the game, his basic combo damage is pitiful. The guy just gets outpaced in so many ways by the HP slabs in later maps.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I never really cared for Ruto after I unlocked her. ...until last night when I tried her level 2 weapon quest and she clicked for me.

Tidal waves forever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

I never really cared for Ruto after I unlocked her. ...until last night when I tried her level 2 weapon quest and she clicked for me.

Tidal waves forever.

I stopped hating Ruto the moment I discovered she eats boss monsters for lunch.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
How do you do Lana's dragon rider thing? I managed to do it accidentally once but since then I could only fire and forget it.

I gotta say though, accidentally pulling off that move came at just the right time. I was just thinking that the gate was probably the most awkward and unfun thing to use and then I'm like "WAIT WHAT HOW DID I GET UP HERE?"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Flytrap posted:

How do you do Lana's dragon rider thing? I managed to do it accidentally once but since then I could only fire and forget it.

I gotta say though, accidentally pulling off that move came at just the right time. I was just thinking that the gate was probably the most awkward and unfun thing to use and then I'm like "WAIT WHAT HOW DID I GET UP HERE?"

The gate is very unusual in that if you just use each of her combos, you get less powerful versions of each attack.

Pressing Strong Attack by itself summons a random one of the four monsters. Once you've done that, Lana gets surrounded by a colored aura. While surrounded by that aura, you want to do the same combo for the monster you just summoned which will make it do a special and more powerful attack. Flying around on Argorok's back is the best and most powerful one.

If you really want to you can strong attack and dodge cancel repeatedly until you get Argorok, but usually I just summon whatever the RNG picks for me. It's fun.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

The gate is very unusual in that if you just use each of her combos, you get less powerful versions of each attack.

Pressing Strong Attack by itself summons a random one of the four monsters. Once you've done that, Lana gets surrounded by a colored aura. While surrounded by that aura, you want to do the same combo for the monster you just summoned which will make it do a special and more powerful attack. Flying around on Argorok's back is the best and most powerful one.

If you really want to you can strong attack and dodge cancel repeatedly until you get Argorok, but usually I just summon whatever the RNG picks for me. It's fun.

Oh, so it's like the opposite of Shiek's harp. Huh, I think I've seen an alt attack with Manhandla where he summoned backup dancers. I just figured he was random or something.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Ughhh Agitha....I was doing the Zant unlock level last night (I realize you don't need an A for this, but I was on-track for it anyway) and started getting cocky, collecting the heart piece, heart container, and skulltula.
Got into the boss room, had the boss down to about 10% health, and then the mission just stopped. Impa died and I wasn't paying attention to the victory conditions.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Looking to grab some friends for my Wii U so I can get some of this friend adventure mode stuffs going.

NNID: DrowningRabbit

I added everyone in the OP, hopefully you guys still read the thread and can add me back.

E: Also, I read online before that you need 1200-1500 kills on a map for a KO 'A' rating. Is it really that high? Sometimes it looks like I'm going to get nowhere near, but I grind for a bit and can eek it out. Sometimes having to kill dudes around the final boss.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Looking to grab some friends for my Wii U so I can get some of this friend adventure mode stuffs going.

NNID: DrowningRabbit

I added everyone in the OP, hopefully you guys still read the thread and can add me back.

E: Also, I read online before that you need 1200-1500 kills on a map for a KO 'A' rating. Is it really that high? Sometimes it looks like I'm going to get nowhere near, but I grind for a bit and can eek it out. Sometimes having to kill dudes around the final boss.

1200 kills, 15 minutes, somewhere in the neighborhood of < 5000 damage (just don't let yourself get beaten up too much and you should be fine, watch out for gold Cuccos.) Those are all the A requirements for the bigger stages.

• Locked thread