Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
As Captain of the Guard I suggest we begin with Urist von Dracula

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

6th Timber, 553
The fortress welcomes BrimleyBelchBreath, son of Zarah (who must have had a better
time in prison than I imagined.) and Potato.

16th Timber, 553
The fortress welcomes plscks Dumatsarek, son of Yeol and Commoners.

22nd Timber, 553
The fortress welcomes Shotaro, daughter of Gamer and Veloxyll.

Jimmy4400nav gets possessed by the spirt of an undead mason.

28th Timber, 553
The fortress welcomes pamcakes, daughter of Windy Skunk and Boing.

The fortress also welcomes NastyToes Delerdogik, daughter of sum and SilentW, our broker.

Nastytoes is notable for having unusually serious dreams for a baby.

I sent the Rough Groups to deal with another Jabberer in the basement. If this one
is anything like the last one we'll be having Jabberer sandwiches for years. I think we still have hundreds of
pounds of jabberer left in the pantry. I figure they can pepper it with bolts and make short work of it.

He stands around the same section of the cavern as the last one. What draws these beasts inexorably to that spot?
Is it the smell of blood from all the prior combat? Probably.

Drakenel takes the worst of the Jabberer's attacks. Apparently the great bulk of the Jabberer's body protects it
from bolts somewhat.

She loses her leg and takes some serious wounds to her hand. Not the first amputee in the fortress.

The Jabberer picked the wrong fight this time though, and gets the worst of it when R0ckfish shows up.

R0ckfish seriously beats the hell out of that thing.

I'm pretty sure he's still down there punching that thing in the face right now.

6th Moonstone, 553

As winter sets in, Mlle "Bone Carver" Edematek, The one-armed lieutenant of the Brass Roughnesses
has a son named Nemo2342.

The merchants are still spooked by the Troll encounter and refuse to leave.
Unfortunately, it's time for a planned refit of the trade depot, and they just get caught up in the mess.

In all the confusion it seems like they've left their entire caravan worth of goods behind.

I make a note that we should make an extra generous offering to the Mountainhomes next fall.

I honestly didn't know that this would happen. I'm not surprised but I wasn't trying to steal their stuff.
They bugged out due to the scary troll and wouldn't leave.

The catapult is a fine addition to the trade depot. Not my call, but I'd sure like to introduce Os Inshotsholid to a few pieces of flying rock.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Happy, eating well, and even engaging in calisthenics. No complaints at all! I know it's hard to bitch when you're treated that well, but still - you have to admire her restraint.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
It's worth nothing that all (or at least a large number) of the restraints in the jail are decadent platinum chains.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's worth nothing that all (or at least a large number) of the restraints in the jail are decadent platinum chains.
Is it a real jail, or just a bondage dungeon?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Araganzar posted:

Happy, eating well, and even engaging in calisthenics. No complaints at all! I know it's hard to bitch when you're treated that well, but still - you have to admire her restraint.

This is a death sentence worthy pun.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Danny Glands posted:

"Pardon my elvish, but I've seen some poo poo..."

Yeah man, you ended up look quite bombed out, don't quite know what happened. I reckon because I drew it at like 2 in the morning maybe some of that transferred into the sketch. Anyway here's the finished-as-it's-gonna-be colour.

Actually, I did think of a reason you look so eh, perturbed.

The Outpost Founder DannyGlands Nishodok, inspects the Trap corridor built by Overseer symuun Oddemendok, in the second year of Fogwall:

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 13, 2014

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Really? You let me get maimed by a goddamn cavern monster? Ugh. Now what am I supposed to do without my legs?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Drakenel posted:

Really? You let me get maimed by a goddamn cavern monster? Ugh. Now what am I supposed to do without my legs?

Become a shrimp boat captain?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

She loses her leg and takes some serious wounds to her hand. Not the first amputee in the fortress.

Her entire left leg AND her right foot. Do they have wheelchairs or prosthetics in DF yet? I feel like there should be crude hand and foot replacements that lower the appropriate skills/attributes.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

And they'll be very menacing with spikes of random material.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Drakenel posted:

Crutches restore your full mobility once you've maxed out their associated skill.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Crutches restore your full mobility once you've maxed out their associated skill.

You hear that? I better become a legendary champion soldier while still on crutches.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
You know what? That background works for an awful lot of dwarf fortress situations.

Dashticle, in the hospital hard at work.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Drakenel posted:

You hear that? I better become a legendary champion soldier while still on crutches.

If it makes you feel better R0ckfish went totally sickhouse on that thing while you were lying there in a blood loss coma. I'm sure the fine doctors of the fortress will have you up and hobbling around in no time.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Spanish Matlock posted:

22nd Sandstone, 553

gently caress.

Goddammit, just as I had figured out who the vampire really was! Old Man Jenkins, no wait, I mean that other obvious person!

Well at least Tyty shall now become an avenger of justice, because his PARENTS are DEEEEAAAAD!!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If youve been paying attention you should have a decent idea who it is. I'm gonna leave that problem for the next guy though.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Spanish Matlock posted:

If youve been paying attention you should have a decent idea who it is. I'm gonna leave that problem for the next guy though.

Just put it in spoiler tags for those of us too blind to see.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Gridlocked posted:

Just put it in spoiler tags for those of us too blind to see.

If you really want to spoil yourself, the wiki can point you in the right direction. Seen as it seems a surprising amount of people actually can't connect the dots (or are DF vets and just pretending they can't) it leaves scope for the next overseer to preside over a clusterfuck whodunnit. It's Exciting !.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I have an idea, but I assume posting about it is discouraged. I'll know if I was right eventually.

Witch hunts all around.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Why would you let something unimportant like a logical deduction get in the way of randomly accusing people until everyone supects everyone else.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Nah man, gotta let your dwarves discover who did it. Just carve fortifications in the walls between every room and they'll find the bugger soon enough.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I figure the best way to find a Dwarven vampire is to cut the booze off and whoever isn't miserable and thirsty after twenty minutes gets chucked in the pit.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Pvt.Scott posted:

I figure the best way to find a Dwarven vampire is to cut the booze off and whoever isn't miserable and thirsty after twenty minutes gets chucked in the pit.

I figure the best way to find a Dwarven vampire is to cut the booze off and whoever isn't miserable and thirsty after twenty minutes gets chucked in the pit turned into a lever pulling supercomputer to run the fortress defenses.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I figure the best way is to spill their blood into the water supply.

Erm, you know, to wash it away from the dwarfs. So that no one else becomes a vampire.

Because that would be a bad thing.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Spanish Matlock inspects the Garbage Day device after its inauguration:

scalded schlong posted:

Jesus Christ is that a distant cousin or something

You know, if you put together Spanish Matlock's eyes and DannyGland's teeth... and wait, that baby was never found you say..? :tinfoil:

Well colouring them was a fun time killer, learned some GIMP, learned drawings you do on discarded copier paper that are about 4 x 3 inches don't actually always look that great when blown up on a scanner, and finally that I probably should have just rolled filters over them to make them look like carvings instead of bothering to colour at all. Aww yiss.

Next will be our baroness kicking rear end I think. What's she wearing, by the way? Are our soldiers properly equipped yet?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 13, 2014

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Dashticle posted:

and finally that I probably should have just rolled filters over them to make them look like carvings instead of bothering to colour at all

Nah. I love seeing the insanity the RNG comes up with in all its glory. Really helps with the immersion!

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Dashticle posted:

What's she wearing, by the way? Are our soldiers properly equipped yet?

Doesn't matter, a proper Dwarven carving is all about the propoganda. Our War Baroness is clearly armed to the teeth with steel platemail all over.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

They should have access to a partial mix of copper, iron, and steel by this point.

So, tattered leather probably.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I see! Well then, scene from here, once again tiny and a bit going on so not sure if it will survive inking to be scanned, hence another crappy phone shot.

Noble baroness Captain_Duck embarks on the first of many diplomatic missions to improve relations with cavern life:

e: Ha! Just noticed, 'Her hair is clean-shaven. Her hair is mahogany.' I think I might give her hair anyway, it adds some nice momentum, and kinda fits with the 'propaganda' thing I guess? Also, Le_Squide - I want to have a go at doing your dwarf, he's pretty badass and also has skin of sepia, which I don't even know what the gently caress it is. However, his extremely long moustache is arranged in loving double braids so it will take a while to muster motivation.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 14, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Dashticle posted:

I see! Well then, scene from here, once again tiny and a bit going on so not sure if it will survive inking to be scanned, hence another crappy phone shot.

Noble baroness Captain_Duck embarks on the first of many diplomatic missions to improve relations with cavern life:

Diggin' the lank, unwashed hair on that Baroness. Very Dwarf.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Loving the fan art. Expect an update within the next 12 hours or so. I will answer various questions about the state of our military even!

Fortress info megapost

Interesting note: Captain_Duck is my younger sister. I assume that her baronessship is acquired through marriage? Or perhaps our civilization is matriarchal. It would explain all the women in the fortress.

Current Gender Ratio: 69 Female/57 Male

The sexuality of the adult population of our fortress breaks down as follows:

1 Asexual Female:

necrotic Dawncropper.

7 Bisexual Females:

Shuffle Laudedmountain
Gamer Archfilled
Araganzar Tattoospears
Doc.Apple Ropeiron
Keien Pickorbs
KaiShai Helmedspears

60 Heterosexual Females:

Everyone else is heterosexual.

1 Asexual Male

FATNESS ATROCITY Lettersouls

4 Bisexual Males

SilentW Fencespear
Stephen Armstrong Charmcobalt
Sky Shadowing Workdrink
crabrock Daleproof

52 Heterosexual Males

Everyone else is heterosexual.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 14, 2014

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

Spanish Matlock posted:

The sexuality of the adult population of our fortress breaks down as follows:

Sexuality is a think now in DF? And nobody is exclusively homosexual?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Unless something's changed, Jabberers are actually gigantic. They were one of the most feared foes of Gemclod:

(Jabberer, Rutherer, Voracious Cave Crawler, courtesy of markus_cz)

This'll be why they knock dwarves to the ground and bite off limbs so often.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Interesting, my statistics show three extra dorfs. I must've missed some deaths. Guess I'll have to dig around when you post the save after your final update.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

NeoAnjou posted:

Sexuality is a think now in DF? And nobody is exclusively homosexual?

I'm not sure when it was introduced but basically the game makes a roll for sexuality for every dwarf when they're born. They can be exclusively homosexual but it's more rare I think.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The [ORIENTATION] tag was detected in the executable a few version numbers ago. Not exactly sure what drove Toady to implement it right here and now, but there you go.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Spanish Matlock posted:

Interesting note: Captain_Duck is my younger sister. I assume that her baronessship is acquired through marriage? Or perhaps our civilization is matriarchal. It would explain all the women in the fortress.
Your sister, but do both of you have both the same parents? Dwarves seem to have kids with whoever these days so her Barony might have been the result of some duke sowing his royal oats in your mum or what have you. Whatever the case, I wouldn't dispute it with Cap_Duck. She is incredibly muscular. She is mighty. :black101:

I couldn't leave her with hair after I read the description, so I gave her a helmet with straps instead. This one will be fun to colour as I get to put in a bunch of blood. Compromised with equipment between ideal (plate) and probable reality (one copper boot and a helmet): two boots, a helmet and a chain shirt over civvies.

I had no idea Jabberers were supposed to be so big! I only knew goblins rode around on them, so I thought maybe 3 - 4 times dwarf size, max. Let's just pretend it was a baby one that our War Baroness punctured the lung of and then left to die.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 14, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

scamtank posted:

Not exactly sure what drove Toady to implement it right here and now, but there you go.

See also, the entirety of DF's development history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

12th Moonstone 553

Our front gate is immaculate, and the trade depot is complete. No more rough stone walls.
Fogwall is becoming a truly grand fortress/city.

17th Moonstone 553

Welcome Strevl Gruntbonk to the fortress! He's the son of Fat and Useless and Idles.

28th Moonstone 553

Pyroi was arrested today. She never built Stephen Armstrong the minecarts he wanted. Wanted for what? Who can say.

It's a serious crime though. Geokinesis isn't willing to let her off with a warning.

9th of Opal 553

Welcome Ventnor, daughter of Falius and Zarwell.
Relatively normal baby all around.

We found atomicthumbs' body in the caverns today. It looks like he was mauled by some sort of animal.
The screeching of giant bats was heard in the distance, perhaps them?

Yes, this one here is covered in dwarven blood.

(It's also holding his hat.)

I imagine that atomicthumbs put up one hell of a fight before he let that thing take him down.

10th Opal 553
ddgentha was born in prison today. He is the son of Stringbean. :itisdepressing:

The caverns have grown far too dangerous.

I decide to dig out a lower barracks to put some soldiers closer to the action.
I doubt it'll be finished before the end of the year.

12th Opal 553

ghetto wormhole tracks down the bats. Take them out, for atomicthumbs.

He fires a bolt straight into one of them.

They flee into the depths, hissing like demons.

During the battle, Woodburger gives birth to a girl named Catten Hulhu.

She has great endurance and worships the god of war, although she is only a baby.

20th Opal 553

Zaliskegeth the giant bat was slain today. Rest in peace, atomicthumbs.

My wife, broken_box wasn't willing to let the demons go. She tracked them down to their lairs.

Unfortunately, she forgot to bring along her crossbow.

Fortunately, she remembered to bring her left hook:

Eventually ghetto wormhole shows up and together they end the menace known as Zaliskegeth.

• Locked thread