Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

horriblePencilist posted:

I feel like there used to be a thread on creative applications like Colors 3D or KORG DSN-12. Was there or am I just crazy? Would there be enough demand for one? I'd love to discuss it more.

I have no idea, but Colors3D is incredibly basic. I could only recommend it to people who 1: Don't have portable tabletPCs or laptops or netbooks for the same purpose.
2: People who always have their 3DS on their person for some reason.
It's very very primitive and it doesn't use every face button due to right hand Vs left hand layouts even though it could and should've been more customizable to allow for hotkeys to create brush presets. Oekaki programs you can find online for free at various imageboards are way more advanced than Colors 3D.
You really, really, gotta wanna use this program because the alternatives are universally better with the exception of 3D, which is more like a pop out book at best between the layers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Speaking of creative apps, has there been any kind of announcement of a new Petite Computer?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shelf Adventure posted:

Because there might be very few exclusives or you might think they're poo poo?

Not everyone wants it for the exclusives though.

Katana Gomai posted:

...yes? When do you ever pay full price for hardware unless you're buying it at release?

Market don't get for a year~ after release, you don't think exclusives are going to come out within a year of the New 3DS release?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Gutcruncher posted:

Speaking of creative apps, has there been any kind of announcement of a new Petite Computer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgnAmLwtP6Q

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Sire Oblivion posted:

Not everyone wants it for the exclusives though.

Okay :confused:

If you're not buying it for the exclusives, buy it whenever you want I guess? I wouldn't buy it for a slight increase in Smash Brothers load times, but whatever.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Shelf Adventure posted:

Okay :confused:

If you're not buying it for the exclusives, but it before they come out I guess? I wouldn't buy it for a slight increase in Smash Brothers load times, but whatever.

Well improved size and weight and battery life and 3d and better button layout is compelling.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

greatn posted:

Well improved size and weight and battery life and 3d and better button layout is compelling.

That and Monster Hunter without needing my big fat CPP attached will be amazing.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Yeah, if that's why you want it, knock yourself out. It's just weird to respond to a post saying "wait for exclusives" by saying "why wait?" when it's obvious the person would be buying it for the exclusives, and then saying "I don't care about them."

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The exclusives are the worst reason to buy any Nintendo handheld upgrade. This has always been the case.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Manatee Cannon posted:

The exclusives are the worst reason to buy any Nintendo handheld upgrade. This has always been the case.

Upgrading to a Game Boy Color for Pokemon Gold/Silver was a pretty legitimate reason.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

RyokoTK posted:

Upgrading to a Game Boy Color for Pokemon Gold/Silver was a pretty legitimate reason.

How was your 5 years of playing that before the save battery died, by the way?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Why would you play a game for 5 years

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Gold/Silver could run on original Gameboys.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Slur posted:

Are you criticizing somebody's video game purchase decision from 15 years ago?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

RyokoTK posted:

Gold/Silver could be played on a normal game boy.

Crystal was exclusive to Color.

e: f;b

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Slur posted:

It was amazing, thank you. :colbert:

(Not that I played Gold/Silver for 5 years. Ruby/Sapphire came out eventually, but I got waaaaay more than my money's worth out of those games.)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Kaubocks posted:

Gold/Silver could run on original Gameboys.

Oh, I forgot. :( In fairness, that was like 14 years ago. I did get a GBC at the same time.

e: Buying a GBC for Link's Awakening DX was a legitimate expense, anyway!! The color dungeon was pro.

Slur posted:

What did you expect to gain from posting this, anyway?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Slur posted:

My copy of Silver still saves. :smug:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Slur posted:

Nobody should have bought any cartridge games at all ever.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

One more PAL promo for prospective new 3DS owners: register a new 3DS/XL/2DS and either Smash 3DS or Pokemon X/Y with Club Nintendo, get a free digital game! Choices include Kirby Triple Deluxe, Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds, Mario Golf, Mario Party, Monster Hunter, Pokemon Art Academy and Yoshi's New Island. Details here.

So I talked with AusNinty today, and it turns out that JB-HiFi was importing UK land games to sell, so my Pokemon Y code is no good in NZ.
Thinking I should probably give it to someone who can get a game out of it, yea?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

has any news come out about the rune factory 4 release date beyond 'its coming, for realsies this time'

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
I just want a purple theme to coordinate with my purple 3DS. :-(

(Or the Animal Crossing one.)

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Spiteski posted:

So I talked with AusNinty today, and it turns out that JB-HiFi was importing UK land games to sell, so my Pokemon Y code is no good in NZ.
Thinking I should probably give it to someone who can get a game out of it, yea?

I'm afraid the offer only works with the pokémon gen 3 remakes, not x and y.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

Why would you play a game for 5 years

I still play my original yellow version.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Dang, the entire last world and final boss of Kirby 3D was pretty loving epic. And I never use that word.

e: and now I'm buying a new game. What's better: Links Awakening or the Oracle games?

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 13, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I say the Oracle games, everyone else will say Awakening.

You can't go wrong with either, though.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Link's Awakening, then Oracle of Ages. The Oracle games use the LA engine and build upon it in some ways, so just from an enjoyment perspective it's best to do LA first. The oracles can be done in either order, but Ages is objectively more fun.

Awakening is better than the both, though. :colbert:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Awakening is the best Zelda game anyway so....

Best plot twist too.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Yeah. I went with Awakening, partially because it's the only handheld Zelda game I played as a kid.

Never got very far, though. Also, lol at all the Mario homages. I totally forgot about that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Saoshyant posted:

Initial bootup is the biggest difference, but if you are familiar with the game, I say you can see that some in-game loading is also faster. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm1e9vmtryo

This is still not a reason to buy the Nu3DS, nerds. Wait for the exclusives.

Too bad, still getting it. I have MonHun4 to play, man. :clint:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I'm buying the New 3DS when it comes out because I want to continue playing 3DS games but on a shiny new system instead of the worn out one I've already had to superglue the circle pad rubber back on to

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There is a tiny dent in the top screen of my 3DS XL so I will replaced it with a New 3DS XL as soon as it is available in North America.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Heads up, NA dudes: DK94 is a Club Nintendo freebie again, it still owns, you still need to get it if you haven't already.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spiteski posted:

They've done that for years. You should be taking that complaint up with JB Hi-Fi though, as they're supposed to swap the Club Nintendo codes for locally-compatible ones.

Strange Quark posted:

My copy of Silver still saves. :smug:

I'll see your working Silver and raise you my Red :smuggo:. My Gold and Silver copies still save too though.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I've wanted to upgrade to an XL for a while, and I've banged up my launch 3DS pretty badly (cover of the thumbpad is completely torn off, R button is kinda unresponsive). Might as well wait a bit and get a New XL.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

PneumonicBook posted:

How would Magical World be for a six year old who loves Disney and is reading basically as well as a six year old should read? I'm buying my daughter a 2ds (eighty bucks refurbed from Nintendo is a pretty great deal) so she stops stealing my 3ds for smash and was thinking of maybe grabbing that for her too.

I would definitely recommend it for a six year old that loves Disney! I would put the writing around Animal Crossing so it isn't difficult at all, and the combat/action is pretty simple and easy to get. As I've said, the only things that aren't great are some of the obtuse endgame 100% completion stuff, but that's totally not required to enjoy pretty much the entire game.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Tamayachi posted:

I would definitely recommend it for a six year old that loves Disney! I would put the writing around Animal Crossing so it isn't difficult at all, and the combat/action is pretty simple and easy to get. As I've said, the only things that aren't great are some of the obtuse endgame 100% completion stuff, but that's totally not required to enjoy pretty much the entire game.

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation!

Regarding when to buy a New 3DS, smart money is on the Xenoblade special edition that they totally (wont) release in NA.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PneumonicBook posted:

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation!

Regarding when to buy a New 3DS, smart money is on the Xenoblade special edition that they totally (wont) release in NA.

Even odds that we'll probably get it in Australia though.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I wonder if the delayed NA release is specifically because they want a launch title (Xenoblade) to go along with it?

Obviously NOA was extremely cold on Xenoblade the first time around, but I could see them going "this hardware will sell better once we can market this game that requires it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Macaluso posted:

Yo guy that was gonna do a thread on the Disney game, please do a thread on it to sell me on the game. Cause I love Disney

You like killing ghosts in decently sized dungeons for materials to get better gear to kill bigger ghosts? Check.

You like running your own cafe and covering it in very specific decorations to attract Disney characters like bees to a flower? Check.

You like random NPCs straight up telling you that your outfit looks sick as you run by them? Check.

You like mini activities like farming with Rabbit and Pooh, or fishing in a pond for weird fish? Check.

You like giving Scrooge Mcduck your hard earned funbux to buy furniture or clothing and totally deck your little dude/dudette out? Check.

You like Particle Effects? You can give your character Particle Effects. Super Check.

• Locked thread