Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

When Gordon got distracted and Cobblepot disappeared my first thought was how this was foreshadowing for what always happens between Commissioner Gordon and Batman. My second thought was the hilarious mental image of Cobblepot stealthily waddling away, at which point I couldn't help but hear Burgess Meridith going,"Waaak waaak waaaak." :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

pentyne posted:

There's one major thing they can do fix this show, get rid of the Barbara/Gordon heart to hearts in the palatial penthouse apartment. Every scene with them its her staring at something drinking wine then dramatically talking to Gordon and is wildly out of tone with the rest of the show and seems forced at best.

Go back to the first scene with Barbara in this last episode and look how much loving wine she's drinking. There's like half a bottle in that glass!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

When Gordon got distracted and Cobblepot disappeared my first thought was how this was foreshadowing for what always happens between Commissioner Gordon and Batman. My second thought was the hilarious mental image of Cobblepot stealthily waddling away, at which point I couldn't help but hear Burgess Meridith going,"Waaak waaak waaaak." :allears:

Nah, you see him book it.

That's penguin sneaking away over Gordon's right shoulder. It'd be much more obvious as a gif, but I don't know how to make them.

The Duke posted:

Go back to the first scene with Barbara in this last episode and look how much loving wine she's drinking. There's like half a bottle in that glass!

The entire Barbara plot seem really stupid. The cop who thinks Gordon is dirty happens to be his wife's ex-lover, and said cop also in an enormous breach of ethics and protocol confronts Barbara and tells her that Gordon executed a man in cold blood yet offers no proof other then "we just know".

Is that sense of drama really needed? What does Montoya being involved in Gordon's life that way add anything interesting to their dynamic? As a Major Crimes cop she could just investigate him normally and harass him without have to have been a past lesbian lover.

And as hard as Gotham is leaning on comic book references and classic Batman characters, you'd think instead of Gordon being married to extremely wealthy art dealer in some obscenely huge penthouse he'd have a regular middle-class life like he does in every single other adaptation.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 14, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
As someone who was engaged to a wine distributor for 7 years i should know this, but why are the glasses so drat big?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

As someone who was engaged to a wine distributor for 7 years i should know this, but why are the glasses so drat big?

I'm assuming to let the aroma gather in the empty space between the liquid surface and the rim. Also when swilling it the larger the surface area of wine exposed the more aromatics are released.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

pentyne posted:

Nah, you see him book it.

That's penguin sneaking away over Gordon's right shoulder. It'd be much more obvious as a gif, but I don't know how to make them.

I know he waddles away, but Gordon is turned away for like a second and when he turns back Cobblepot has presumably complete disappeared from view on a wide open and lengthy street/alley - otherwise why would Gordon let him get away if he was only a few feet away, waddling along in plain sight?

pentyne posted:

It'd be much more obvious as a gif, but I don't know how to make them.

:)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

pentyne posted:

I'm assuming to let the aroma gather in the empty space between the liquid surface and the rim. Also when swilling it the larger the surface area of wine exposed the more aromatics are released.

Never bothered to learn because i can't stand the stuff. Makes sense i suppose.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rocksicles posted:

Never bothered to learn because i can't stand the stuff. Makes sense i suppose.

I like wine more than I like beer, but it tends to make me all gassy and gurgly in the belly which I assume is not the feeling people who actually enjoy wine are enjoying.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

So apparently Gotham is Vancouver but backwards.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Everyone being reverse-Canadians would explain why they're so rude.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Wheezle posted:

So apparently Gotham is Vancouver but backwards.

I guess they didn't have the budget to press the 'labels' button in google earth?

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
So the Waynes both opposed any kind of psychological treatment for young Bruce, while believing in it enough to fund a major development of Arkham?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eddain posted:

Yeah but if the girl's willing to do anything to make it big why not double cross Fish and be Falcone's mole?

Usually you're not going to trust someone who was so eager to double cross their first boss.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I actually thought this was a better episode than the stuff before it, particularly because of more Penguin being Penguin and Jada Pinkett Smith dialing down the histrionics, but it seems determined to be aggressively stupid and assert that dead bodies don't smell, which combined with the fact that a drinking game of a vodka shot for every "Jim Gordon" would be lethal, makes it a bad show.

I watched the later seasons of Heroes, so I have no standards and will continue to watch, but... oy.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Rocksicles posted:

Can't believe some people haven't put together Fish's plan.

Batter Falcone mistress > Hire singer slut > Singer slut becomes trojan horse > Fish kills Falcone with teeth.
(or dies trying, i'm assuming because of Penguin)

it's not rocket surgery

Nor is it brain science.

I'm not saying I don't get where that all is going. She comes right out and states what she wants her new girl to do. I just didn't care for the over-the-top-yet-morbidly-ridiculous way in which they put it all together. The more I think about it, the dumber those scenes are. I'm half expecting the next episode to have something like this:

Untalented singer chick: "So, you want me to kill this guy? Sure. Do I use a gun or a knife or...."

Fish Mooney: "No, if I wanted to do that, I'd use one of my dozens of henchmen to do it. I'm using you to place him in an easily escapable situation involving an overly-elaborate and exotic death."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The first girl was the bad singer. She was literally one note.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
The Barbara stuff is kind of annoying, but it's also obvious that she's going to leave him, and it looks like they might get to that sooner than later. If so, great, problem solved.

I'm finding Oswald Cobblepot to be so likable that he's the character on the show I'm rooting for. If it just becomes the Pengiun show, I'd be pretty ok with that.

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist
Almost Human was cancelled so that this show could exist.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

pookerbug posted:

I'm not sure if you are saying that is good or bad. :v:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maroni is an idiot. So from his point of view, he thinks Penguin saved part of his money. Maroni's goons followed Penguin's bloody footprints to the fridge. This means that the robbers came in, killed everyone in the room, and then Penguin came in and saved some of the money from being stolen. Did nobody think about why they would just leave a bag of money and not take the whole thing?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

pookerbug posted:

I'm actually liking Gotham so far, it's off to a bumpy start, but it's got some good parts.

... would I trade it for a second season of Almost Human? In a heartbeat. I loved that show.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

Maroni is an idiot. So from his point of view, he thinks Penguin saved part of his money. Maroni's goons followed Penguin's bloody footprints to the fridge. This means that the robbers came in, killed everyone in the room, and then Penguin came in and saved some of the money from being stolen. Did nobody think about why they would just leave a bag of money and not take the whole thing?

I guess the "idea" is that the order of events was this:

1) Shooting starts. People begin to bleed and die.
2) Penguin, as the shooting is going on, realizes that it's a robbery, grabs a bag of money, and hides--walking through blood in the process.
3) The shooters hold their fire and grab all the money they can see. They are in too much of a hurry to notice the footprints and they didn't know how much money was there in the first place, so they didn't know anything was missing.
4) Maroni arrives and finds Penguin and some of his money. He then calls the other gang a bunch of farging iceholes, declares fargin' war, and swears he'll get his revenge on those bastages.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

tarlibone posted:

4) Maroni arrives and finds Penguin and some of his money. He then calls the other gang a bunch of farging iceholes, declares fargin' war, and swears he'll get his revenge on those bastages.

Johnny Dangerously was such good movie.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Today's Joker reference is: "You're the crown prince of parking lot muggers." I hope someone is writing these down somewhere for posterity.

I'm convinced that Barbara only exists in Gordon's imagination. It's the only logical explanation here.

Arkham City? Oh for the love of :doh:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I also really loved the Barbara\Gordon secrets conversation: I'm so hurt you have secrets from me, Jim! *drops major bomb of a secret that old what's her name from MCU is her former lover and they've been meeting behind his back*

And without a hint of irony.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Krad posted:

I'm convinced that Barbara only exists in Gordon's imagination. It's the only logical explanation here.

Come here Barbara Jr., daddy has a secret to tell you.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

TheBizzness posted:

I also really loved the Barbara\Gordon secrets conversation: I'm so hurt you have secrets from me, Jim! *drops major bomb of a secret that old what's her name from MCU is her former lover and they've been meeting behind his back*

And without a hint of irony.

Also, didn't Barbara leak information to the press in the pilot?

It's dumb that a cop's wife/girlfriend is expecting them to spill all of the details of the cases they are working on over dinner or something.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

gninjagnome posted:

Also, didn't Barbara leak information to the press in the pilot?

It's dumb that a cop's wife/girlfriend is expecting them to spill all of the details of the cases they are working on over dinner or something.

Yet Gordon talks freely about his cases with a kid.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Eddain posted:

Yet Gordon talks freely about his cases with a kid.

Dude, that kid is Batman.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
This show is legitimately a DC comic book.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Is Bruce Gordon's best friend?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really hope Gordon gives Bruce a bright red cell phone.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Detective No. 27 posted:

What do you expect, he spent 8 years completely oblivious to the fact that his co-worker was a serial killer despite insurmountable evidence right under his nose.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How did Gordon get his gun back to shoot the assassin?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Your man dropped it.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Lord Krangdar posted:

Is Bruce Gordon's best friend?
Best? Try only.

Seriously, as far as we've seen he has nobody else at all. The other cops don't like him because he's such a stickler for the rules. He and his partner barely manage to keep a working relationship going. Barbara just seems to want him to spill insider info to help further her journalism career, and they aren't getting along now. (and probably never will)

Bruce, Selina, and Oswald are the closest thing he has to actual friends in the world. Two heavily damaged kids and a psychopath are all he's got, and of those three I think Bruce is the only mutual friendship there, however stiff and formal it is. Gordon could maybe consider Selina as something of a friend, and Oswald likes to consider Gordon a friend, but both of those are one-way streets so far.

Wow. That's depressing now that I think of it.

Lord Krangdar posted:

I thought she owned an art gallery or something.

Wait, you're right, she does run an art gallery, or would if she ever left that apartment. So I guess she just pumps Gordon for information to spill to the media... For fun? I think my brain just wanted to assume she had a good reason, but no, you're right she just does that poo poo.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 15, 2014

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Robot Hobo posted:

Barbara just seems to want him to spill insider info to help further her journalism career, and they arent' getting along now.

I thought she owned an art gallery or something.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - She has to, because there's no way a cop not on the take would be able to afford a home like that.

Robot Hobo posted:

Best? Try only.

you're mistaking friends for responsibilities and obligations. Don't worry, I'm sure a lot of other people mistake speaking to someone through work with actually being their friend.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

^^^ - She has to, because there's no way a cop not on the take would be able to afford a home like that.

Yeah, they said its her place. Also she's a Kane, a super rich family in the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lord Krangdar posted:

Yeah, they said its her place. Also she's a Kane, a super rich family in the source material.

So did they actually break up? That's kinda what I got from that last argument. Where's he going to live now?

Roomies with Oswald. :allears:

• Locked thread