Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Holy poo poo do we have a ridiculous amount of children. Is the child cap on or set to an actually meaningful level?

Also goddamn broken_box is hardcore. Note that this is not the first time she explodes things by punching them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ghetto wormhole posted:

I'm not sure when it was introduced but basically the game makes a roll for sexuality for every dwarf when they're born. They can be exclusively homosexual but it's more rare I think.

I remember reading somewhere that having too many obligate homosexuals resulted in really sluggish growth-rates for civs, so the percentage was dialed down. I'm guessing also maybe some man-babies complained and/or wanted women to be gay at a much higher rate than men. There is probably a correlation between "people who donate lavishly to DF" and "creepy shut-ins" and creepy shut-ins aren't known for their progressive social values.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Sure people are having their blood drained from their bodies but minecarts are serious business. :cop:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Shbobdb posted:

I'm guessing also maybe some man-babies complained and/or wanted women to be gay at a much higher rate than men. There is probably a correlation between "people who donate lavishly to DF" and "creepy shut-ins" and creepy shut-ins aren't known for their progressive social values.

If this was anywhere else on the internet, I'd probably agree, but Toady is a bizarrely decent man who knows his place.

He unconditionally banished all pony poo poo from the forums once it reached the critical mass of creepy at the start of the decade. When furries petitioned for animal people to be in the game through the sponsorship drive, he included them in a tasteful manner, mostly using them to demonstrate the brand-new creature variation system. In all of the numerous interviews, appearances and quotes he hasn't displayed an ounce of the typical vices and mental faults for a normal white male internet denizen, never mind a guy sitting in the eye of a worshipful nerd vortex. He smoked crack once and really liked it, but then reasoned that this is the way an addict thinks and didn't touch it ever again.

His only flaws are being a shut-in (only real social contact is with his brothers + Scamp) and drinking soda like water. He's just incorruptible somehow.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 14, 2014

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Isn't one of his other games about being a far left terrorist cell fighting the fascist government?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

ghetto wormhole posted:

Isn't one of his other games about being a far left terrorist cell fighting the fascist government?

It's supposed to be parody but it plays like a kook fringers wet-dream.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Routers get a bit warm? :3:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Shbobdb posted:

I remember reading somewhere that having too many obligate homosexuals resulted in really sluggish growth-rates for civs, so the percentage was dialed down. I'm guessing also maybe some man-babies complained and/or wanted women to be gay at a much higher rate than men. There is probably a correlation between "people who donate lavishly to DF" and "creepy shut-ins" and creepy shut-ins aren't known for their progressive social values.

Pretty sure that with Toady, it's just something he did to prevent some Civs from growing too slowly, not something he did because the Basement-Dweller Lobby was angered at too many homosexuals in their game about little bearded men. I've literally never seen him get creepy or preachy about anything in DF.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

10th of Opal 553

I have lost track of time. When was I trapped in this infernal prison, and for what reason?

Oh right. Minecarts. There's a loving VAMPIRE running around killing everyone and I go into jail for not making loving MINECARTS. I am a planter, how does the mayor expect me to make minecarts!? I'll show them...I'LL SHOW THEM A-

Is that a baby? I hear a baby. Why is there a baby in prison?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Pretty sure that with Toady, it's just something he did to prevent some Civs from growing too slowly, not something he did because the Basement-Dweller Lobby was angered at too many homosexuals in their game about little bearded men. I've literally never seen him get creepy or preachy about anything in DF.

Toady seems to actively ignore his forums and fanbase, honestly, at least until it's time for his monthly donation drive. Bay12 is an incredibly toxic hug-box of awfulness.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Nah, he's got one eye on the forums whenever he can spare it from the coding. He just doesn't join the conversation unless it's to keep order.

I know because the local GBS always needs peacekeeping for the mentioned reasons.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Spanish Matlock posted:

10th Opal 553
ddegenha was born in prison today. He is the son of Stringbean. :itisdepressing:

AHAHAHA, I am born!

Amusingly enough, that's actually a disturbingly accurate portrayal. The only real differences are that I'm not disadvantaged when it comes to social skills and I'm anything but flimsy. Other than that, my wife read over the profile and said that she wasn't sure if it was talking about the dwarf or me.

Hopefully I live long enough to fulfill my martial ambitions and my art ambitions. I even signed up as a potter/meatshield on my dorfing request.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pyroi posted:

10th of Opal 553

I have lost track of time. When was I trapped in this infernal prison, and for what reason?

Oh right. Minecarts. There's a loving VAMPIRE running around killing everyone and I go into jail for not making loving MINECARTS. I am a planter, how does the mayor expect me to make minecarts!? I'll show them...I'LL SHOW THEM A-

Is that a baby? I hear a baby. Why is there a baby in prison?

I would really hope you could hear the baby, since it just crawled out of your birth canal.

quote:

The only real differences are that I'm not disadvantaged when it comes to social skills and I'm anything but flimsy. Other than that, my wife read over the profile and said that she wasn't sure if it was talking about the dwarf or me.

Were you born in prison after your father died in a horrible construction accident?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Spanish Matlock posted:

Were you born in prison after your father died in a horrible construction accident?

He said the only real differences already, are you just trying to bully him by bringing up what must be a truly horrible memory?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Spanish Matlock posted:

1 Asexual Female:

necrotic Dawncropper.

If only Toady added beastiality I would probably be that instead. Necro-beastiality maybe?

:barf:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

RickVoid posted:

It's supposed to be parody but it plays like a kook fringers wet-dream.

Liberal crime squad is an amazing game and the insanity is both completely intentional and hilarious. :colbert:

It's the only game where you can convert a cold-hearted CEO with nothing but the power of rock while evading both judge dredd and the firemen from Fahrenheit 451 in a VW you stole Liberated from the MAN, man.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Dwarven orphan babies don't just sit on the floor and starve to death anymore, right? :ohdear:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Tyty posted:

Dwarven orphan babies don't just sit on the floor and starve to death anymore, right? :ohdear:

Don't worry, you're not a baby anymore and had the opportunity to be horribly traumatized by the sight of your own mother's blood-drained corpse

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Tyty posted:

Not anymore, now they will generate the same sort of jobs that people otherwise unable to feed themselves or get themselves water will generate, so they'll be fed and taken care of by various idlers and such right now.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Not anymore, now they will generate the same sort of jobs that people otherwise unable to feed themselves or get themselves water will generate, so they'll be fed and taken care of by various idlers and such right now.

Well, the last time I played DF, people constantly died of thirst in the hospital, so... "Sorry, can't bring you food. This *alpaca wool left sock* won't haul itself to the depot. And then I have to go on break."

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Valiantman posted:

Well, the last time I played DF, people constantly died of thirst in the hospital, so... "Sorry, can't bring you food. This *alpaca wool left sock* won't haul itself to the depot. And then I have to go on break."

Usually I deal with that issue by turning off all hauling labors on some key dwarfs including health care workers. As long as you leave enough people able to haul objects it won't cause too many problems.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Taking care of patients(which I assume extends to orphaned babies) is its own labor now, which helps a lot. Just make sure it's turned on for dwarves that don't have much else to do, and it should go smoothly.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Valiantman posted:

They'll generate the job, doesn't mean they get filled. But there is now a theoretical chance for orphaned babies to not die from losing their parents!

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Give me a toy battle axe and draft me already.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Cathulhu posted:

Give me a toy battle axe and draft me already.

To dwarves, 'toy battle axe' is the same as 'small battle axe', isn't it.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

This is a journal entry of Dashticle Galleyshimmered, suturer in Fogwall. All wordsmanship is of the most overwrought quality. It menaces with lengthy paragraphs and is encircled by rings of unnecessary adjectives.

10th Opal 553

Ever since coming to this miserable, wet, forsaken hole and ruining my best silk socks in a pool of alligator blood which for some reason was going stagnant outside the main entrance tunnel, I knew we had made a big mistake. The air inside was not filled with the welcome smouldering heat of charcoal furnaces, nor the ringing of anvils and the echoes of carved, sterile stone - instead the tangy smell of earthen walls, the mud off our boots adding to the mess as we trudged our damp and weary bodies inside this dump. We were nearly 100 feet inside before we came to a door!

I thought for a while it was some Goblin trick. Lure Dwarves from the safety of the larger cities with promises of a new start, away from the onslaught of of the Wraith of Clutching - one party at a time, lured into some dank excuse for a tunnel and quietly murdered. I almost wish it had been. Surely it would have been a more merciful fate than what has happened over the last 2 years.

The second year of its founding, the Wraith came for Fogwall. The bloody overseer, one of these word-murdering rustic types, had built a giant stone lollipop about 20 yards away from the entrance hole apparently, and the squad of goblins just walked around it. Inside our front entrance, held off only by a doorway. The contingency plan tunnel failed. My wife, image of Mestthos herself, was cut down in the desperate struggle in this forsaken hallway, my baby lunnrais too. This was when the fortress started to bleed. Or did it start to bleed us?

I've made my livelihood from staunching wounds. I do my best. But this fortress, this miserable place... it seems to have a thirst. In the darkness, it is literally taking the life from our veins these days, making us pay with our very blood for each desperate push for expansion. The Barony and the mayor have started throwing people in prison for ignoring their work orders. Rings, wheelbarrows... these are not things to throw dwarves in jail over.

I've met the mayor, he seems a nice fellow - and a Legendary fighter, I've heard - but with the nobility, you just never know. They are probably pulling Stephen Armstrong's strings, making him throw innocent dwarves in jail in order to smear the good dwarf's name. I've heard two of them fancy themselves warriors, and go off hunting cave creatures- I know Le_Squide at least killed one of the goblins during the first siege - though I also happen to know from stitching him up that the drat thing nearly crippled him. False imprisonments. Blood draining. Paranoia. I can tell a sick fortress when I see one. And I've made it my life's work... to find a cure.

I need a loving lie down.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 17, 2014

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

ddegenha posted:

AHAHAHA, I am born!

Hopefully I live long enough to fulfill my martial ambitions and my art ambitions. I even signed up as a potter/meatshield on my dorfing request.

Armok-speed, my son. Watch out for falling rocks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prism posted:

To dwarves, 'toy battle axe' is the same as 'small battle axe', isn't it.

Dwarven doesn't translate well into english, the word for 'Toy' is more literally rendered as 'which is suitable for children'

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

26th Opal 553
ghetto_wormhole was tragically slain today in single combat with Limegast, the other cave demon.
He put up one hell of a fight, and managed to lodge a bolt in the creature's upper spine.

(Those are ghetto_wormhole's teeth.)

Yamtaggler, my second son, was born in the hospital today. His mother was recieving treatment for the cut
on her finger she got while punching a giant bat's face in.

28th Opal 553
Geokinesis paid attention in crossbow school, and knows how to deal with a giant bat.

4th Obsidian 553
To honor ghetto_wormhole's passing, we send a goblin to serve him in the afterlife.
She's a fighter! But in the end she goes the way of all who stand against us.

Soon this will be a stinking cesspit of rotting goblin limbs and blood for our
more nimble enemies to drown themselves in.

7th Obsidian 553
Midnight voyager, daughter of GoldenPrice and Quartrefoil, was born today.

9th Obsidian 553
It appears that Pyroi will never finish her prison sentence. She was found,
chained to the wall, drained of all blood this morning.

The only witness was her infant son ddegenha. What did he see? We may never know.

12th Obsidian 553
Futuredays is born! She is the daughter of Corazon Santiago and Ratoslov.

24th Obsidian 553

Jimmy Jangleboots is born. He is the son of Elswyyr and Excelzior.

As we wind down the year, we are disappointed by the lack of contact with the enemy. Although the caverns are
a neverending source of combat experience for our soldiers, we have taken quite the loss from the constant harassment
of the underground dwellers.

Hopefully when the new barracks is completed, we'll be able to more efficiently divide our focus between the two gates
of the fortress.

Blood is still being drained from our citizenry in the night, although not at a truly alarming rate. We lost three
dwarves this year to the depredations of this monster.

As my overseership ends, I look back with satisfaction. We have accomplished great things this year, and no vampire,
no goblin, no cave troll can stop us now. Our military is well trained, or citizenry are fat and happy.

554 is the year of Fogwall.

Edit: Here's the link to my copy of the dwarfing form for the new overseer, so you know who is left to be dwarfed.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cL1rTo1Y0VbuRKwaoIg7MTGfWOHSeJy9E89Jxq5PDtc/edit

And here's a link to the save file for same.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GihQz0YN6QMEFwRlcyTXRkdmc/view?usp=sharing

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 16, 2014

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I do like taking it easy~

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
RIP

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Requesting a screenshot dump of the fortress layout, preferably in one of those nifty 3D renderers.

Wordbird Raven
Sep 7, 2011

I'm not what you would call an artist.
Well! Goblin sacrifices, murderous wildlife and a vampire stalking the tunnels of Fogwall. Great year, Spanish. I can't wait to see what the next overseer does with the murder mystery, too.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

symuun posted:

Great year, Spanish. I can't wait to see what the next overseer does with the murder mystery, too.

Dwarf Noirtress.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Records of Fogwall at the end of 553.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Miscellaneous observations of 'More Grim' Mafelsemor, dwarven baby: Part the Second

No efelant. No toadynoms. Mummy said bats killing drawves. Bats are mean! Hate bats! Waaaaaaaah! Waaaaaaaaaaaaah! *hic*

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Excerpts from the diary of a ghost
Well...gently caress. I guess I'm dead now. What...what am I supposed to do now? My baby is still in there, I hope he isn't traumatized for life. Eh, most dwarves are, probably won't hurt him in the long run.

Well, maybe I can get to scaring the mayor to death before my soul is laid to rest. Wait, I think I see who killed me! It was--
The diary ends here, discovered inside of ddgentha's baby prison jumpsuit. It is coated in the dwarf blood of Pyroi.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

I like that my dwarf is apparently the only one without any job skills in the fort, and yet has managed to avoid getting drafted into the militia.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Dr. Tough posted:

I like that my dwarf is apparently the only one without any job skills in the fort, and yet has managed to avoid getting drafted into the militia.

Nah, I'd just missed that one, sorry. You seem to have been a fishery worker, at least originally. I think at that point I hadn't realized that the top of the descriptions lists their profession and just put in whatever Spanish Matlock mentioned, and he didn't say anything about your dwarf. I also don't know everything, just whatever the Overseers happen to post about, so if we never hear from a dwarf I might not know what they're actually up to.

It's very possible she is in the militia, we just haven't heard from her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

I was hoping to be a professional bum.

• Locked thread