Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
(I'll just post my next CO here: END ROUND.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Goldyx's Turn

A powered Promise makes 4, Goldyx's rep makes 5, his City tokens make 7, and 5 cards sideways (Rage/Ice Bolt/Mana Draw/Demolish/Swiftness) make 12, netting an artifact.

I think we're very, very close to hitting the start of the artifact deck again.

Tovak's Turn

Arythea (Istvun) - 7 hand, 0 deck.
Norowas (Gutter Owl) - 3 hand, 0 deck.
Goldyx (Impermanent) - 0 hand, 3 deck, artifact choice, yet to draw.
Tovak (HOOLY BOOLY) - 6 hand, 0 deck.
Unit Offer | Fame/Reputation Track | City Listing
Defenders Left - White: 3 | Green: 3

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

We've cycled through. Sword of Justice/Emerald Ring was my first artifact pull, and there's the sword again.

EDIT: Also, Goldyx should be in the city, right?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Of course now that i have a plan, Vlaada is going to screw me with my cards :sigh:

Play Swiftness with Threaten and Promise sideways for 4 move which moves me to the right. End turn

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

errr yes

"Ha ha! A turn in which the board state didn't change, I can save some effort!"

I'm trying to remember if the Golden Grail ever rolled for anyone, or the Blue Ring? I honestly don't remember. Oh well.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I will finish this Round before I sleep, I swear to god.

Arythea's Turn

Arythea (Istvun) - 7 hand, 0 deck.
Norowas (Gutter Owl) - 3 hand, 0 deck.
Goldyx (Impermanent) - 0 hand, 3 deck, artifact choice, yet to draw.
Tovak (HOOLY BOOLY) - 3 hand, 0 deck.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I worry that the artifact deck may have gotten a little confused, but at this point I don't think it's going to matter. If anyone has truly card-counted the artifact deck I will a) be extremely impressed and b) slap them on the wrists or something.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Um also

Gutter Owl posted:

(I'll just post my next CO here: END ROUND.)

This all of our last turns this round right? Not that i could back and do anything differently now anyway :v:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

No, that's Norowas' next turn. End of Round isn't called yet.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Gutter Owl posted:

We've cycled through. Sword of Justice/Emerald Ring was my first artifact pull, and there's the sword again.

EDIT: Also, Goldyx should be in the city, right?

We still haven't seen the grail or the blue ring, which means I was right when I thought I'd seen the banner of protection twice.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Play Wings of Wind and Mana Draw to power Steady Tempo

Move NE twice to reveal defenders.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Istvun posted:

We still haven't seen the grail or the blue ring, which means I was right when I thought I'd seen the banner of protection twice.

The module isn't exactly 100% at coping with a Game Moderator; some of the shortcuts and right-click commands are a little wonky because of the way Vassal works with card ownership. Something may have happened (a quick reverse?) to mess with the Grail and Blue Ring. I'm positive Banner of Protection hadn't come up before, though - they're easy to confuse together.

I can hit shuffle on the deck if it's a real problem.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Stelas posted:

The module isn't exactly 100% at coping with a Game Moderator; some of the shortcuts and right-click commands are a little wonky because of the way Vassal works with card ownership. Something may have happened (a quick reverse?) to mess with the Grail and Blue Ring. I'm positive Banner of Protection hadn't come up before, though - they're easy to confuse together.

I can hit shuffle on the deck if it's a real problem.

No worries, just give me the horn.

:v:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

One of these days I will forget to discard everyone's hands fully before clicking next round and Tovak will end up with a 50-card deck.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'll take the sword.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
drat that's some fine defenders.

Move onto the enchanted glade, end turn.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

NOW I'll trigger end of round.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Goldyx's Turn

Arythea (Istvun) - 5 hand, 0 deck.
Norowas (Gutter Owl) - 3 hand, 0 deck, End of Round called.
Goldyx (Impermanent) - 4 hand, 0 deck.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Stelas posted:

One of these days I will forget to discard everyone's hands fully before clicking next round and Tovak will end up with a 50-card deck.

And i'd still not be able to both attack and fully block in the same combat :razz:

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 14, 2014

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Who blocks?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I use the white die in the source to power mana draw, and set the remaining white die in the source to blue. Then I'll power Crystallize to get a green mana crystal and March to bring me up to the ruins north of me, discarding the sword to get an an extra movement and scout out that tile. (Does this reveal the defenders in the ruins?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

You've got Mana Storm, not Mana Draw - powering that will do something a whole lot different.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Wow, you're right. Good call. I'll just use mana storm to get a white crystal and crystallize powered to get a blue crystal, and use stamina plus the sword tog et on top of that ruin without scouting.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Just to double check - you've changed from crystallizing a green crystal to a blue crystal instead? Want to make sure that isn't a typo or anything.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Also, no, ruin defenders are only chosen when you go down into the ruin. If the ruin were still face down, it would get revealed - as it is, nothing else happens.

Tovak's Turn

Arythea (Istvun) - 5 hand, 0 deck.
Norowas (Gutter Owl) - 3 hand, 0 deck, End of Round called.
Goldyx (Impermanent) - 0 hand, 0 deck.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Whoops - that was a typo! I mean green crystal.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Goldyx' sheet is fixed.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Well with just 3 cards I dont have much of a choice but to just get a good nights rest by discarding Rage and getting rid of the last wound in my hand

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
hah, in that case I'll just use the source + free mana to Call to Glory the Fire Golems.

Play Frost Bridge to move into the village, challenge the ironclad. It hits the guardsmen and then bounces off the golems. Punch with Fire Golems, Freezing Power and Promise (sideways)

Play Crystal Mastery for blue.

End turn.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Tactics choice is Tovak > Goldyx > Norowas > Arythea.

Now to calculate how much movement bullshit I'll need to pull to reach the Green City.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I count 26 to be the number to reach. Good luck.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Istvun posted:

It hits the guardsmen and then bounces off the golems.

Pardon? The guardsmen take the damage completely, getting a wound in the process.

(To clarify: if you use a physical resistant unit to block physical damage, but it doesn't block all of it, you have to assign the rest to that same unit first, wounding it.)

Stelas fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 15, 2014

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Stelas posted:

Pardon? The guardsmen take the damage completely, getting a wound in the process.

(To clarify: if you use a physical resistant unit to block physical damage, but it doesn't block all of it, you have to assign the rest to that same unit first, wounding it.)

Sorry, I meant to say that the damage first hits the guardsmen and wounds them before some golems soak up the rest of the damage.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

My bad, I could have sworn the Banner gives phys resist too. I guess I usually tend to dump that thing on a golem, after all.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Stelas posted:

The Guardsman isn't physically resistant. The Banner of Protection gives him ice and fire resist and +1 armor.

So 8 damage comes in, five hits and wounds the guard, three rolls over to the golems and gets eaten by the phys resist.

e:f,b

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
trade you my banner for your horn

e: also it's SIX damage that hits the guardsmen geeez

Istvun fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 15, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Now taking spurious arguments as to which player has the prettiest line, and what the appropriate prize should be.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
goldyx just wants to fly a kite

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
All I want is a picture of Goldyx flying a kite as my avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 4 END

The sun rises on the third day. There are two rounds remaining. Two of the cities have been subjugated, and two remain.

Movement History

Arythea - 25 cards in deck

New Cards: Banner of Protection, Banner of Fear, Magic Talent, Wings of Wind, Energy Flow
New Units: Catapults, Fire Golems
New Skills: Green Crystal Craft (from Goldyx)

Saying Arythea got a bad artifact draw at this point in the game is kind of like pulling defeat from the jaws of victory, but here we go: Arythea doesn't really like banners, especially with the build that we see here. Still, sticking a Banner of Protection on a beefy unit is great, and Banner of Fear is one of the best just because it turns even a trash unit into an attack-preventer. Handy.

Energy Flow is a spell I'm reluctant to use - I guess I just don't really like PVP in Mage Knight? I mean, it's kinda dickish to just turn off people's units like that, Arythea! Wings of Wind is a key spell in the original Mage Knight, combining amazing movement potential with unstoppable amounts of attack denial. It gets heavily nerfed in the expansion, requiring exponentially more move to turn off large amounts of units, but it's still excellent either way. Magic Talent's always a good pick, but this late in the game it's kind of gimmicky - get it early on, and it's basically Learning but even better what with it not requiring Influence and giving spells instead of advanced actions.

Nothing really to say on the new units - Catapults are a key ingredient for any late-game Siege/Ranged user, while the Fire Golems helpfully provide two resistances rather than one. Their numbers aren't great, but having as many resistant enemies as you can really helps late game. Similarly, I can't really muster a whole lot to say on the skill choice either. At this stage of the game Influence barely matters, and 1 or 2 move per turn doesn't do a whole lot either - compared to that, grabbing a crystal and a mana all at the same time wherever you are is a godsend.

Goldyx - 22 cards in deck

New Cards: Mana Storm, Sword of Justice
New Skills: Potion Making

Mana Storm's always a good card to have - if nothing else, it doesn't clog up your deck, instantly flying out of your hand to give you a crystal, and in the not-so-rare case that the mana source is completely hosed it also doubles as a handy panic button. Sword of Justice is really awesome, honestly - I've got a fond spot for it, and the accompanying ranged artifact introduced in the expansion. Got a hand full of crap? Who cares, pile into that city anyway and kill a whole bunch of mans.

Potion Making is a great choice as far as any character is concerned - can't beat Heal 2 anywhere, anywhen. I'd probably peg it as one of Goldyx's best skills beyond Flight; we haven't seen Universal Power come up, but I tend to think that's a little too costly for what it does, and Glittering Fortune is just straight-up rear end.

Norowas - 26 cards in deck

New Cards: Agility, Heroic Tale, Horn of Wrath
New Units: Ice Golems
New Skills: Prayer of Weather
Exploded Artifacts: Amulet of Darkness

Some great picks for new cards here. Agility and Heroic Tale are perfect for the white-heavy Norowas player; as I think I've mentioned before, any card that lets you pull double-duty on your main card types is very useful, especially at this stage of the game where you might not need any of that movement anymore, and Agility's the easiest way around to dump it all into something useful. Heroic Tale dovetails perfectly into Norowas' unique Noble Manners card.

Prayer of Weather is mean at this stage in the game, drat! It's a free and universal Song of Wind for Norowas while slowing down all of his opponents. Compared to the other skills he's flipped it's far and away the best around, if only because Forward March is really limp-wristed. "Hey, Norowas - don't use your units, okay?" is not exactly the most thrilling of skill choices around. The Ice Golems are the Attack/Block version of the Fire Golems - kind of a shame they don't freeze enemies, but hey, Norowas can get them up to a whopping Ice Attack 8.

RIP the Amulet of Darkness... but really, did anyone think it was going to last? Sure, it's -2 VP, but it let Norowas explode the city and spawning ground pretty happily. And now he can't use the black mana for all those spells he doesn't have, oh no! In return he got the Horn of Wrath, an artifact so bonkers that in the expansion it had to be nerfed into the drat ground. Siege 12 in return for, on average, 2 wounds! Siege loving 12!

Tovak - 23 cards in deck

New Cards: None :(

I'm feeling kind of mean here, I'm just saying. As a consolation, Tovak has managed to get his name on two cities, and that's actually quite a lot of VP there - if Norowas lets him have a shield on the white city that would actually place him as the winner of the cities prize, despite not being a leader of any of them!

As a side note - I mentioned that Cold Swordsmanship wasn't a terribly good skill last time around? Well, last weekend I got my face royally kicked in by a Tovak player combining Cold Swordsmanship, Shield Mastery, and a Hot Swordsmanship stolen from Arythea. 3 Block and 4 fundamentally irresistable Attack every single turn is very hard to stop. It was their first time playing and I felt very humbled.

• Locked thread