Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

yeah what is up with that

they can manage to run it every 12-15 minutes during peaks and include bullet service why let it taper off at all off-peak it's dumb as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

uhhh what northeast are you thinking of exactly?? everything north of the 40th parallel has constant snow coverage for at least four months of the year

PA and NJ are covered in snow 4 months of the year?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they can manage to run it every 12-15 minutes during peaks and include bullet service why let it taper off at all off-peak it's dumb as hell

if it was convenient or made sense then it wouldn't be public transport. why does the T in boston shutdown before everyone leaves the bars?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

if it was convenient or made sense then it wouldn't be public transport. why does the T in boston shutdown before everyone leaves the bars?

because highway construction is overfunded to the detriment of other modes of transportation on a local level

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Shaggar posted:

public transport works a charm here in holland idk what you're on about

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Forums Terrorist posted:

public transport works a charm here in holland idk what you're on about

no it doesn't. it works the same as here its just you aren't used to anything else.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

i think they dumped all the "big dig" debt on the mbta, so the train system is kinda hosed

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i'm from ireland, where it's unimaginably lovely

i had to take a bus from dingle to macroom once, jesus christ

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

no it doesn't. it works the same as here its just you aren't used to anything else.

lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

public transportation in europe/japan/singapore/hong kong loving owns

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

because it allows for a better maintenence schedule and increased life times?

you're an engineer, you should know what it takes to run a train

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

I guarantee every new canadian cable channel in the last 15-20 years has had "we will cater to market $X with our unique programming; oh and also show movies" cuz that's what they all are

why is Mike Holmes on BBC Canada? :iiam:

i once put together a series of training courses for sasktel on how to transition from a telecom to a integrated communications service company.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ayn rand hand job posted:

because it allows for a better maintenence schedule and increased life times?

you're an engineer, you should know what it takes to run a train

lol

for real tho i know a little

they already perform maint at night once everything shuts down and the rolling stock itself isn't in continuous use anyway in places where it doesn't stop like nyc (it gets rotated out just like buses do)

i know that here they've gotta perform inspections to the rail alignments due to seismic concerns, esp after any event over a certain threshold, but that's an additional thing and more of an on-demand measure compared to daily inspections

the likely reasons that it isn't run more often outside of peaks is that:

1) there are a lot of at-grade crossings and that tends to screw up traffic p bad (partially because the installed pre-empt equipment suuucks and resets the cycle instead of working as an interrupt), and

2) someone high up decided that they would match service to demand in order to save on operation costs, as measured by whenever they made that decision, which means that the schedules tend to create sharper peaks than they otherwise would (due to a number of factors like pressuring businesses to maintain hours that conform to said peaks)

i mean there's probably more to it than that but if they were interested in spending some more money then the service would improve, which i could really see happening since ridership has apparently spiked in the past two years

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Forums Terrorist posted:

Haha, nice made-up place names.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol

for real tho i know a little

they already perform maint at night once everything shuts down and the rolling stock itself isn't in continuous use anyway in places where it doesn't stop like nyc (it gets rotated out just like buses do)

i know that here they've gotta perform inspections to the rail alignments due to seismic concerns, esp after any event over a certain threshold, but that's an additional thing and more of an on-demand measure compared to daily inspections

the likely reasons that it isn't run more often outside of peaks is that:

1) there are a lot of at-grade crossings and that tends to screw up traffic p bad (partially because the installed pre-empt equipment suuucks and resets the cycle instead of working as an interrupt), and

2) someone high up decided that they would match service to demand in order to save on operation costs, as measured by whenever they made that decision, which means that the schedules tend to create sharper peaks than they otherwise would (due to a number of factors like pressuring businesses to maintain hours that conform to said peaks)

i mean there's probably more to it than that but if they were interested in spending some more money then the service would improve, which i could really see happening since ridership has apparently spiked in the past two years

trains do not belong at grade

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

trains do not belong at grade

:agreed:

also cars in urban areas

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

you're right, i misspelled them

bhi sé as an daingean nar maigh chromtha

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
elevated art deco rail is the best

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Forums Terrorist posted:

bhi sé as an daingean nar maigh chromtha

i'm all of the silent letters

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Forums Terrorist posted:

yeah lol this is the exception to awesome european trains

i took a train from dublin to cork and it was like 2.5 hours on the fastest train jesus christ

it's 150 miles

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm all of the silent letters

i had to go and look up the spelling because i kept sticking h's in there, gently caress irish

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

:agreed:

also cars in urban areas

urban areas should just not have on street parking and design for easy entry in and out of garages (above and below ground).

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the downeaster from Portland to boston takes like 3 hours cause it stops every 20 feet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

urban areas should just not have on street parking and design for easy entry in and out of garages (above and below ground).

small business owners don't like taking away street parking because then they can't park in front of their small business using a handicapped placard under false pretenses

some place on union street spent like half a million dollars in legal fees to stop the city from lengthening a bus stop at the expense of 2 parking spaces

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Forums Terrorist posted:

i had to go and look up the spelling because i kept sticking h's in there, gently caress irish

i really don't understand why it's transliterated or w/e the way it is instead of in a more phonetic way

for funsies i guess

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

small business owners don't like taking away street parking because then they can't park in front of their small business using a handicapped placard under false pretenses

some place on union street spent like half a million dollars in legal fees to stop the city from lengthening a bus stop at the expense of 2 parking spaces

buses should also be removed from urban areas

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

small business owners don't like taking away street parking

boy howdy don't they

i've seen them absolutely lose their poo poo over stuff like basic maintenance and increasing the road's capacity

doesn't matter what you're doing even if long-term more people will be using that road and they will be getting newly paved driveways - they will resist the work because in the short term people don't like using businesses in construction zones

gently caress small business owners

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Sagebrush posted:

i had no idea that cars could last more than a decade without turning into a pile of loosely car-shaped rust scale until i moved to arizona.

i dunno whose brilliant loving idea it was to pour salt all over the roads in the winter but gently caress the northeast and eastern canada for that. just use sand and mandate snow tires november - april

government ain't gonna tell me what to do with MY CAR

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it is really stupid that handicapped placards let you park anywhere you want without a time limit and without paying imo. probably there wouldn't be that much fraud if it was just getting a closer parking space at the grocery store, but this implementation makes it basically a get out of parking free card so of couse it's going to be massively fraduluent

also i don't even see the point of those two little bonuses. like i get that you're in a wheelchair but that doesn't make you incapable of operating a wristwatch or putting quarters in the meter does it?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i really don't understand why it's transliterated or w/e the way it is instead of in a more phonetic way

for funsies i guess

because no one gives enough of a poo poo about a moribund language to fix the spelling, and because people like my mum would probably poo poo bricks about it being "anglicized"

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

it is really stupid that handicapped placards let you park anywhere you want without a time limit and without paying imo. probably there wouldn't be that much fraud if it was just getting a closer parking space at the grocery store, but this implementation makes it basically a get out of parking free card so of couse it's going to be massively fraduluent

also i don't even see the point of those two little bonuses. like i get that you're in a wheelchair but that doesn't make you incapable of operating a wristwatch or putting quarters in the meter does it?

sagebrush turn left nooo

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Shaggar posted:

elevated art deco rail is the best

hell yeah

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
gimp spots are universally for old people who cant make it through the parking lot but are somehow still able to drive? if you see a cart next to one of those spots at your grocery store its not because someone was a lazy dick its because they left the walker there for the next old person.

if you see a cart anywhere else then yes that was left there by an unimaginable shithead

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

the power of the free market saves all

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

boy howdy don't they

i've seen them absolutely lose their poo poo over stuff like basic maintenance and increasing the road's capacity

doesn't matter what you're doing even if long-term more people will be using that road and they will be getting newly paved driveways - they will resist the work because in the short term people don't like using businesses in construction zones

gently caress small business owners

yeah i mean what the gently caress close down the street that has the only access to your business for a few months at a time? why are you whining, don't you have a few months of expenses in savings?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sagebrush posted:

http://www.apa.org/pi/ses/resources/publications/factsheet-disability.pdf

quote:

• For individuals who are blind and visually impaired, unemployment rates exceed 70% (American Psychological Association Task Force on Socioeconomic Status, 2007).
• Among older veterans living below the poverty level, over 50% have a disability (U.S. Census Bureau, 2006).

---

• Great disparities exist when comparing the attainment of higher degrees. According to the 2006 Census, about 6% of persons aged 16-64 with a disability have obtained a bachelor’s degree or higher, while 17% of individuals in the same age category with no disability have attained the same educational status (U.S. Census Bureau, 2006).

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"Disabled people less capable" - shocking us census report

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

base salary for all citizens would fix this

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

have you considered voting libertarian? we have one here in florida endorsed by Bitcoin Magazine because he wants to eliminate banking regulations

quote:

Being a Libertarian candidate for governor means that I reach out to a wide range of people from all political ideologies. My campaign stops across the state of Florida range from tea parties to business organizations to gay pride events.

Libertarians believe that the highest duty of government is to defend the inalienable rights of the individual, as expressed in our founding documents. One thing that I’ve found in my travels is that most people support the vast majority of the Libertarian platform.

Too often, people turn to government to solve their every problem. Ironically, many of these problems for which we seek a government solution were originally caused by too much government. Oftentimes, the real solution to the problem is less government and more freedom. My goal is to give you the freedom to determine your own path and allow you to have the power to make your own choices.

I want to get government out of your wallet, your bedroom, your body, and your business.

okay, but what are his stances on the real issues?

quote:

[quote]First, we will dramatically cut the size of the state budget. Gov. Scott seeks to increase the state budget to $74.5 billion. That is absolutely ridiculous. My staff and I have been combing through the state budget searching for waste and inefficiency. No more pork projects for legislators and special interest groups. After an initial review, I believe that we can cut the state budget by over 30% without negatively impacting critical government services. The less money government spends, the more money the people get to keep, spend and invest.

Capping, reducing, and eventually eliminating property tax will stimulate the real estate market, by making home purchases more affordable. We will eliminate special favors, tax breaks and subsidies to a select few business, preferring instead to cut taxes equally across the board. I propose a 100% Homestead Exemption for all Floridians’ primary residence. You will pay ZERO property tax on your home.

We will protect Floridians from a potential dollar crisis. I propose that we begin transacting state business in gold and silver as required by Article 1, Section 10 of the United States Constitution and introduce competing currencies legislation as Utah has already done, and other states are considering.

okay. now what are his thoughts on capitalism?

quote:

There is little doubt that many multinational corporations are engaged in practices that are unethical, illegal, and harmful to the prosperity of all Americans. On this, we agree. Many on the left blame capitalism. But, we do not currently have a ‘capitalist’ system. We have a ‘crony corporatist’ system.

The solution is NOT more government regulation or intervention. It is the exact opposite. The solution is true, free-market capitalism. True free-market capitalism always ensures that bad business practices are punished, and good corporate stewardship is rewarded. For example, what if the government had refused to bail out the banks on the backs of the American people?

um... how about unions?

quote:

I have no problem with labor unions, per se. However, I do have a problem with the influence and power that labor unions wield over government. But, I vehemently oppose the power that labor unions have to influence government to their own benefit. The problem is not the unions themselves. It is that we, the people, have allowed government to exceed their Constitutional authority to provide benefits to the powerful labor unions.

well, uh, okay... how about business regulations?

quote:

As Governor, I will introduce the Florida Intrastate Commerce Act. This Act will provide that any product that is grown, manufactured, constructed, fabricated, or assembled in Florida, and distributed and sold in Florida, will be completely immune from any federal regulation whatsoever. Any commercial or professional service that is provided exclusively within Florida’s borders will also be immune from federal regulation.

This means that everything from food, to firearms, to healthcare, will be completely exempt from federal regulation.

but what about ENTITLEMENTS?

quote:

There is absolutely no doubt that there are many people in need in our state and nation. I strongly believe that we, as a society, have a duty to help them. But, does government have the authority to force people to help others…under the threat of violence and imprisonment for failing to do so? Charity should be voluntary contributions and not entitlements funded through threats and force upon taxpayers.

As we know, government entitlement programs are always astronomically inefficient, extremely costly to our economy, and rife with fraud and abuse. Also, the nature of entitlement programs fosters dependency upon government, and provides no incentive for people to take personal responsibility to improve their own lives.

Private charities are generally much more efficient, promote independence, and have a much more positive outcome on the people they serve.

well poo poo, this guy sounds awesome! i'm gonna donate all my bitcoins to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

old joke but a good one