Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Of course now they are saying the shooting threat is "false flag" :laffo:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's almost like the very core of this 'movement' is pure misogyny/general bigotry and rage that anyone ever says 'maybe don't be the literal worst'.

Also if you want some easy way to read this poo poo, install that word replace extension and replace 'gamer' with 'gremlin' and 'SJW' with 'skeleton'. It's way more fun to read about gremlingate and hear impotent rage against the skeletons ruining gaming.
Ruining gremling you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
#JackThompsonWasRight

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tracula posted:

#JackThompsonWasRight

Yea all this whole thing has taught me so far is yea maybe this poo poo did turn some of us into violent assholes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, at this point I think the people who joined up with that movement who had legitimate concerns have long since disassociated themselves with it and all that's left are the core misogynists/trolls doing their things. I'm sure there are stragglers still arguing the movement's legitimacy but when you don't have a solid leader for these things it becomes aimless and the loudest jerks tend to dominate and determine the image of it. Maybe when it disappears something more pleasant will crop up and it will primarily offer civilized discourse.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

A recent Chainsawsuit sums it up quite well.

Gamergate's 'good side' and the misogynists who send death threats are just heads on a Hydra. The Hydra is Capitalist Ideology.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea all this whole thing has taught me so far is yea maybe this poo poo did turn some of us into violent assholes.

I don't really think video games are what is to blame here.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I don't really think video games are what is to blame here.

I was making a joke based on the hashtag.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Videogames are a religion of peace

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's almost like the very core of this 'movement' is pure misogyny/general bigotry and rage that anyone ever says 'maybe don't be the literal worst'.

Also if you want some easy way to read this poo poo, install that word replace extension and replace 'gamer' with 'gremlin' and 'SJW' with 'skeleton'. It's way more fun to read about gremlingate and hear impotent rage against the skeletons ruining gaming.
Is there a firefox version of this?

All I'm going to say: Totalbiscuit is the biggest goddamn moron on the planet. Interesting how his spiel about "true gamergater" is just him describing himself in the third person. Finally a whole movement that agrees with everything I've been saying for years! Oh, all those people saying horrific poo poo or things I don't agree with? Just a vocal minority, I'm sure.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Videogames are a religion of peace

And Haze is the poo poo?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

All I'm going to say: Totalbiscuit is the biggest goddamn moron on the planet. Interesting how his spiel about "true gamergater" is just him describing himself in the third person. Finally a whole movement that agrees with everything I've been saying for years! Oh, all those people saying horrific poo poo or things I don't agree with? Just a vocal minority, I'm sure.

Hahahaha cool

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
To me, Milo always seemed like a giant rear end in a top hat. I didn't hear about until now, but right from the start he sounded like a tool. Didn't he bash trans people and lesbians?

"OH NO GAMERGATE IS ABOUT DIVERSITY AND EQUALITY" :cripes:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Brad reviewed something horrifying that RiffTrax will be taking on as well: http://www.thecinemasnob.com/the-cinema-snob/fun-in-balloon-land

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

All I'm going to say: Totalbiscuit is the biggest goddamn moron on the planet. Interesting how his spiel about "true gremlingater" is just him describing himself in the third person. Finally a whole movement that agrees with everything I've been saying for years! Oh, all those people saying horrific poo poo or things I don't agree with? Just a vocal minority, I'm sure.

TB seems to legitimately not understand that his agreement with people has nothing to do with them being in his 'movement'.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Zeether posted:

Brad reviewed something horrifying that RiffTrax will be taking on as well: http://www.thecinemasnob.com/the-cinema-snob/fun-in-balloon-land

I don't think even Rifftrax could make that thing tolerable.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The misogynists/trolls fart on and generally be awful human beings when there are video games to be played. Still gotta watch that demo of Evil Within now that I think about it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

TB seems to legitimately not understand that his agreement with people has nothing to do with them being in his 'movement'.

This is a man that doesn't know what statism is and tried to pin it as people not being able to spell "British person". He isn't exactly bright.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Unsurprisingly, you can defeat gamergaters using a bot from 50 years ago

Also: The folks that want to destroy Sarkeesian are getting her put in the new york times, and making videos that directly make people want to see her work. It's wonderful.

It feeds into what I'm swiftly concluding is the only winning move against something you don't agree with, which is not to play. I'mma stop talking about gamergate completely. Doin' my bit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kunster posted:

This is a man that doesn't know what statism is and tried to pin it as people not being able to spell "British person". He isn't exactly bright.

The lovely thing about his latest foray into reminding us he's kinda dumb was that he started his big 'I'm gonna weigh on GG' push (because he needed to set up fanfare I guess) right before he went to the hospital for some tests about his cancer (thankfully seems it's all gone or mostly gone or whatever basically means he's gonna be fine), so when people first started going 'hey you're super wrong and kinda dumb here' he did a big 'oh wow guys I'm in the hospital FOR CANCER and you're insulting me, classy' thing and his wife got all pissy with the mean ol internet. Like, why could he not have waited until after his cancer poo poo, even if he legitimately thinks he's giving some enlightened sage stance here that people have been waiting for, he had to know people would at least want to talk about it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He's very frustrating because sometimes he says something very insightful and great but then has a string of boneheaded opinions or views on other subjects.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Personally I don't get my views on anything from a dude who does nothing but play video games all day

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jimbot posted:

He's very frustrating because sometimes he says something very insightful and great but then has a string of boneheaded opinions or views on other subjects.

Pretty much, I'm still subscribed to him because usually when he's just, you know, talking about games he has fairly reasonable and sometimes interesting views, and when he's not being a smug dickbag he's pretty entertaining, but boy when he decides to be a dense rear end in a top hat he just digs right in and is terrible.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, at this point I think the people who joined up with that movement who had legitimate concerns have long since disassociated themselves with it and all that's left are the core misogynists/trolls doing their things.

I was dogpiled in another thread for defending Gamergate's original intentions awhile ago and even I think it's just an unsalvageable trainwreck of terrible people doing terrible things for the sake of misogyny now. You're absolutely right. People who wanted to do good things have left or been pushed out.

Mokinokaro posted:

I don't think even Rifftrax could make that thing tolerable.

This is the best reccomendation you can give reviews. I'm excited to watch this now, there's something great about truly, truly terrible films getting ripped to pieces, and not the so bad it's good kind, or intentionally "bad" kind.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The lovely thing about his latest foray into reminding us he's kinda dumb was that he started his big 'I'm gonna weigh on GG' push (because he needed to set up fanfare I guess) right before he went to the hospital for some tests about his cancer (thankfully seems it's all gone or mostly gone or whatever basically means he's gonna be fine), so when people first started going 'hey you're super wrong and kinda dumb here' he did a big 'oh wow guys I'm in the hospital FOR CANCER and you're insulting me, classy' thing and his wife got all pissy with the mean ol internet. Like, why could he not have waited until after his cancer poo poo, even if he legitimately thinks he's giving some enlightened sage stance here that people have been waiting for, he had to know people would at least want to talk about it.

The thing with cancer is that it isn't exactly something that's cured overnight. He did withheld going to a doctor over this for at least one year. I've been with folk who had the exact same condition, and it took them at least 2 years for a full recovery, and that was mostly Stage 0/1 cancers, given that they went to the hospital a week or so from experiencing the symptoms.

... A full year, untreated, probably has exploded into something that was about to, if not already, started to spread thru his body. He was opportunist in painting himself as some sort of martyr over the cause, and in a way if he put the tumor inside a glass jar that would be a more human creature than him, but if he wanted to wait for the cancer to dissipate, we're talking years unless he wants to get rid of a huge part of himself.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Can you have cancer and still be an rear end in a top hat? Inquiring minds want to know!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zeether posted:

Man, watching Oogieloves must have really hosed Brad up if he's still name dropping it two years later.

And :stonk: holy gently caress that was creepy.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Hbomberguy posted:

It feeds into what I'm swiftly concluding is the only winning move against something you don't agree with, which is not to play. I'mma stop talking about gamergate completely. Doin' my bit.

Can someone please tell this to Todd? His Twitter, which used to have a lot of fun, insightful observations about music that couldn't fit into one of his videos, has been practically 90% gamergate crap for the past couple of months.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

LoonShia posted:

Can you have cancer and still be an rear end in a top hat? Inquiring minds want to know!

He has cancer OF the rear end in a top hat, so this question is very difficult to answer...

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

WickedHate posted:

I was dogpiled in another thread for defending Gamergate's original intentions awhile ago...People who wanted to do good things have left or been pushed out.

The original intentions were discrediting websites and a game developer over completely unsubstantiated claims by a bitter ex. Any "original intentions" were already steeped in misogyny and based entirely on hearsay, there's really no defending it.

Just compare Gamergate to, say, the reaction to Max Temkin being accused of rape. I don't remember there being anywhere near the furor over that situation (nor do I think there should have been as it's the same exact thing-unsubstantiated claims) and it's probably because Max is not a woman trying to break into a male-dominated industry.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cubey posted:

The original intentions were discrediting websites and a game developer over completely unsubstantiated claims by a bitter ex. Any "original intentions" were already steeped in misogyny and based entirely on hearsay, there's really no defending it.

Just compare Gremlingate to, say, the reaction to Max Temkin being accused of rape. I don't remember there being anywhere near the furor over that situation (nor do I think there should have been as it's the same exact thing-unsubstantiated claims) and it's probably because Max is not a woman trying to break into a male-dominated industry.

Yea that's really the biggest example that can be given. A woman said Max Temkin raped her, she (as far as I know) took zero interest in pressing charges, just wanted to tell her story, Max had a kinda weird response where he was all 'oh I don't blame her' which like...is a weird way to react no matter what...and pretty much everyone said 'no it's cool'. I have zero issue with this reaction, but these same people think some pissed of ex is a great source for how Zoe Is Satan.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Glad to see him lavish Hotel Transylvania with love and appreciation. I feel people don't know that movie or how good it is as much as they should.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zeether posted:

Was this actually released somewhere or is this some insane film reel found in a box with a bunch of PSAs by someone?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

cubs2084 posted:

Glad to see him lavish Hotel Transylvania with love and appreciation. I feel people don't know that movie or how good it is as much as they should.

Hotel Transylvania was great and I'm surprised so many people hate it.

Granted I watched it on the same day I had my wisdom teeth removed, but I still think I was lucid enough to legitimately like it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

cubs2084 posted:

The story of it isn't anything special, but there's just so much LIFE to its animation and most of the humour is just charming.

Edit: And like Doug says, Sandler is actually very good in his part.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Pretty much, I'm still subscribed to him because usually when he's just, you know, talking about games he has fairly reasonable and sometimes interesting views, and when he's not being a smug dickbag he's pretty entertaining, but boy when he decides to be a dense rear end in a top hat he just digs right in and is terrible.

Does it have an FOV slider? Because so help you loving god if it doesn't have an FOV slider and you should probably kill yourself if you make a game that doesn't have an FOV slider. What really annoys me the most about TB is that I get frustrations about bad PC ports but he's about the perfect exemplification of what people think of when someone unironically calls them part of the PC Master Race and all the douchebaggery that entails.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
On the topic of unnecessary smugness and bad ideas... Spoony trying to get on TV to talk about board games.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Oh he's being serious? Allow me to laugh even harder.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Jsor posted:

Hotel Transylvania was great and I'm surprised so many people hate it.

It was hated because Sandlers was at his peek of the worst lovely movies ever and it got caught in the crossfire.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

On the topic of unnecessary smugness and bad ideas... Spoony trying to get on TV to talk about board games.

this makes me really sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tae posted:

It was hated because Sandlers was at his peek of the worst lovely movies ever and it got caught in the crossfire.

Pretty much, it sucks and it's unfair but when you've been churning poo poo out and people see you're doing an animated movie most people go 'haha that's gonna suck dick' and don't give it any more thought. I watched it on a movie channel one day expecting it to be terrible but it was actually a really nice movie with a lot of heart behind a pretty typical storyline.

• Locked thread