Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Before I built the real bathroom on my house I had a temporary shower set up using the old tub and shower head in the basement. Super ghetto, but it kept me clean while I did all the plumbing and drywall in the actual bathroom.

I'm normally really not afraid of spiders at all but I must admit I was VERY startled when one about 3 inches across (legs, not body, holy hell) came running out from under the shower curtain the second I turned the water on.

So I stood well back, turned the heat all the way up, boiled his rear end and flushed him down the drain :v: Apparently spiders can't handle 180 degree water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Man, you didn't have to kill it. All you needed wass to lie still and make a pile of dead bugs leading down your face to lure it out

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

Apparently spiders can't handle 180 degree water.

It's not really all that good for humans, either. (I hope you've got the mixing valve plugged in now, dude.)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I had a mixing valvea ball valve for hot and one for cold tee'd into the showerhead, I just turned the water to full hot to speed up the monster spider boiling/drowning process so I could get on with my day.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

kastein posted:

I had a mixing valvea ball valve for hot and one for cold tee'd into the showerhead, I just turned the water to full hot to speed up the monster spider boiling/drowning process so I could get on with my day.

I would plumb the bathroom and kitchen like this of it weren't for picky women. Mind you, I'd also run cable through surface mounted steel conduit, I may have no taste.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cakefool posted:

I would plumb the bathroom and kitchen like this of it weren't for picky women. Mind you, I'd also run cable through surface mounted steel conduit, I may have no taste.

I saw a video just yesterday explaining that this (plumbing arrangement) isn't legal in your country because sometimes your hot water supply comes from some weird cistern which may have dead rats in it and thus you can't ever combine hot and cold water.

Confirm/Deny?

Edit: hang on, then how would showers work over there? You got some 'splainin to do, Limey!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Since we're on spider chat, can anyone confirm what kind of spider this is? I think it's a wolf spider. 3-4 weeks ago the Great Spider Migration happened into our basement, I killed about 12 of these in one day.

Despite the picture making this look massive, this was a small one, probably 2" across. The bigger ones I got that day were about 3.5" across.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Yeah, that's just a common wolf spider, nothing to worry about. Let him/her hang around and kill insects and poo poo, it'll leave you alone.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I saw a video just yesterday explaining that this (plumbing arrangement) isn't legal in your country because sometimes your hot water supply comes from some weird cistern which may have dead rats in it and thus you can't ever combine hot and cold water.

Confirm/Deny?

Edit: hang on, then how would showers work over there? You got some 'splainin to do, Limey!

It's partially bullshit, mixer taps do this as standard. It's not allowed to mix hot and cold before another valve, because if you open hot and cold then shut the third valve whichever is the higher pressure will back feed into the other, either meaning you'll heat your cold water supply, or cool the hot, dumping hot out of the overflow constantly.

It would be a poor idea to do what I said because copper corrosion is poisonous.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I've heard that the UK is actually a third world country shithole where you regularly have dead animals and poo poo in your water supply. Confirm/deny?

Also gently caress spiders.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
What's the big deal with spiders? Just never go sticking things blindly in places where spiders may be.

It's getting near orb season so I have to remember to go out and lock up before sunset. Those spiders are funny things. After dark the whole yard gets strung up with an impassable net of webs made with really strong silk, with the proud owners parked right in the middle. When sunrise comes they dismantle their webs and disappear again.

Redbacks, white tails etc. are usually just lurking behind anything that hasn't been moved in a while. Maybe I should get in on AISS this year. But how do I package a large number of spiders without them killing each other?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/spider-burrowed-into-appendix-scar-crawled-through-wa-mans-body-20141016-1171lq.html

Spiders.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

General_Failure posted:

What's the big deal with spiders? Just never go sticking things blindly in places where spiders may be.

It's getting near orb season so I have to remember to go out and lock up before sunset. Those spiders are funny things. After dark the whole yard gets strung up with an impassable net of webs made with really strong silk, with the proud owners parked right in the middle. When sunrise comes they dismantle their webs and disappear again.

Redbacks, white tails etc. are usually just lurking behind anything that hasn't been moved in a while. Maybe I should get in on AISS this year. But how do I package a large number of spiders without them killing each other?

I have been in my house for just over 5 years and never seen a spider in the house. Yet somehow I got 2 spider bites on my elbow of all places over the weekend. At least I assume they are spider bites. I can't imagine I got 2 random giant pimples on my elbow an inch apart.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 215 days!)

veedubfreak posted:

I have been in my house for just over 5 years and never seen a spider in the house. Yet somehow I got 2 spider bites on my elbow of all places over the weekend. At least I assume they are spider bites. I can't imagine I got 2 random giant pimples on my elbow an inch apart.

Probably bedbugs. :q: Happy slumbering!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Mosquitos? That's what usually gets me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I've heard that the UK is actually a third world country shithole where you regularly have dead animals and poo poo in your water supply. Confirm/deny?

Also gently caress spiders.

Confirm.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I like spiders, they don't generally bother me, but holy loving poo poo :stare: nope. nope nope nope.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
That's cool, I didn't want to sleep tonight anyway.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
In a rare personal milestone I just renewed my tabs for my first full year driving the Civic :toot:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Time to sell.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

In a rare personal milestone I just renewed my tabs for my first full year driving the Civic :toot:

Can he make it 2?
What was the last car you had tags on for a year straight?

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
So when does season two of my favorite sitcom start?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

tater_salad posted:

Can he make it 2?
What was the last car you had tags on for a year straight?

The uh.......

The Fastback.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Unrelated: How's the girl doing? I hope she's in better shape than she was last time you said anything :smith:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Not good

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dang.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
gently caress this month

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
gently caress October forever.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

gently caress October forever.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Its not so ba:suicide:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Can't see poo poo, captain. :stare:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

It may sound odd but that looks like heaven to me about now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Man, that sucks, I'm sorry :(

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm confused?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I've been hoping for a nice rainy winter down here so the aquifer and lakes recharge and the rivers stay strong for most of the summer, but it looks like it will just be cold this year, without the wet.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Geirskogul posted:

I'm confused?

It's Seattle, it's more or less gonna look like that for the next 5-6 months. And the best part is that people in this area still can't handle driving in it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
There are cures though.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Put your face in the cattes belly

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 215 days!)

Slow is Fast posted:

Put your face in the cattes belly

Doesn't he have enough piercings? :colbert:

That is one comfy looking fire. Hope you got a chance to undwind after work hell, personal life hell, and driving in Washington wet hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
This October has been awesome. Mid 60s to 70s. The only hail storm happened when I was on my cruise and the car was safe in the garage

• Locked thread