Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

:rant:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

On May 24, 2012, Kaczynski submitted his current information to the Harvard University alumni association. He listed his eight life sentences as achievements, his current occupation as prisoner, and his current address as No. 04475-046, US Penitentiary—Max, P.O. Box 8500, Florence, CO 81226-8500.[108]

lol i should write him a letter

http://arxiv.org/pdf/math/0511366.pdf

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sagebrush posted:

that's nice of them, why it's almost the federally mandated minimum that you get at every job in Canada

at full pay? the hell it is. I got 10 days paid leave in Canada when my daughter was born. my wife got a year of job protection, and the half pay for 35 weeks (capped at $400/wk).

I wish we'd had to settle for Facebook's parental leave package. we could have afforded to have me stay home for 3 months as the sole care giver, letting my wife go back sooner and hurting her career less.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Pinterest Mom posted:

four months of paid leave can you even imagine the luxury

i can't wait until we become japan and can't afford to have kids

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

at full pay? the hell it is. I got 10 days paid leave in Canada when my daughter was born. my wife got a year of job protection, and the half pay for 35 weeks (capped at $400/wk).

I wish we'd had to settle for Facebook's parental leave package. we could have afforded to have me stay home for 3 months as the sole care giver, letting my wife go back sooner and hurting her career less.

half pay for 35 weeks is full pay for 17.5 weeks, which is more than fb' four months.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i fukken love this footnote

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

kraftwerk singles posted:

the paid maternity leave policy at apple doesn't go into effect until nov 1 so my extremely pregnant with twins coworker is holding the babies in like a big poo poo

aaahaha a big ole pussyshit

when i knock dr futurewife up she is expected to work on her feet right up until her water breaks

lmao doctors are slaves

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Necc0 posted:

this is ebenezer scrooge level dispassion god drat

are you aware of the term 'wealth addicts'

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

aaahaha a big ole pussyshit

when i knock dr futurewife up she is expected to work on her feet right up until her water breaks

lmao doctors are slaves

i don't feel a great deal of sympathy for doctors in the usa complaining about working too much when they are paid more than doctors in any other country in the entire world by a factor of 2 to 100

like, when your wife starts work as an oncologist in palo alto she will be making about double what my father as a psychiatrist in canada with 30 years of experience currently does

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i read a study recently that found that almost 50% of smart phone owners report immediate "moderate to severe anxiety" when their phones are taken away from them

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i don't feel a great deal of sympathy for doctors in the usa complaining about working too much when they are paid more than doctors in any other country in the entire world by a factor of 2 to 100

like, when your wife starts work as an oncologist in palo alto she will be making about double what my father as a psychiatrist in canada with 30 years of experience currently does

:wow:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

well that's a p big assumption for a salary that's about a decade away (thanks obama)

also that's only some specialties - GPs and family medicine and internists (and psychiatrists) aren't so lucky and those are your baseline, majority docs

but anyway that's irrelevant because we're tolkein about medical residents and interns who get paid like teachers for 80 hour weeks and lol no other country does that

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i read a study recently that found that almost 50% of smart phone owners report immediate "moderate to severe anxiety" when their phones are taken away from them

I'd be anxious too if you took away my ability to write and speak

this shouldn't be surprising

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

I'd be anxious too if you took away my ability to write and speak

this shouldn't be surprising

all of my friends live inside of my phone

and my secret workplace bathroom lovers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ok, well here's a direct example: an acquaintance's wife just started work as a gynecological surgeon, her first position post residency, at some kaiser place or other. her starting salary is $280,000 a year, with a $100,000 signing bonus provided she stays with the job for 5 years, and another $150,000 interest-free loan for a house downpayment to be taken any time she chooses.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean the median family household income even in san francisco itself is $55,000, but i'm sure she deserves what she's getting

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

ok, well here's a direct example: an acquaintance's wife just started work as a gynecological surgeon, her first position post residency, at some kaiser place or other. her starting salary is $280,000 a year, with a $100,000 signing bonus provided she stays with the job for 5 years, and another $150,000 interest-free loan for a house downpayment to be taken any time she chooses.

and how much student loan debt? median is about $170k for newly minted MDs, that does not include undergrad and i have no idea how they'd get through residency having to effectively pay a mortgage on a house

edit: holy poo poo the median for 2014 is $270k

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if she is 170k in debt she could zero it out in two years of work while renting a decent 2 bedroom apartment, or in one year if she used the signing bonus.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

i fukken love this footnote

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

in the US, gynecological surgeons must first pass their STEP1 and STEP2 tests within the top range of their cohort - typically within the top 4% of scores nationwide - in order to be good candidates for a surgical residency

then they all compete for the top residency programs during match (80% of all med students successfully match) after which, provided they got a good program, will move to and begin

a typical surgical residency is on the order of 6 years, and has even more insane hours than 80/week after the 1st year (only the 1st is limited by federal law) during which they are paid a pittance - it is normal for residents to pay 4/5 of their income for rent, because the school feeds and clothes you in scrubs and you only spend time at home sleeping

after that you're going to want to specialize, so you start your surgical internship for gyno surgery. hope you stood out during your residency so that you qualify and get accepted to a program - if so, then whatup 2-4 more years of making now office drone money for more crazy hours

now that you're in your 40s you can finally start stackin that paper!

so yes, your friend easily withstood a decade of being treated like a slave and despite that certainly achieved within the top echelon of her cohort, so rightly or wrongly many of them feel entitled to that pay because it's a grueling climb that's only made longer the more you achieve

it's lovely all around, but those high earners are still only in the minority of those who are skilled enough to go into fields that cater to rich people medical problems

it's extremely terrible in the US

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 16, 2014

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

well that's a p big assumption for a salary that's about a decade away (thanks obama)

also that's only some specialties - GPs and family medicine and internists (and psychiatrists) aren't so lucky and those are your baseline, majority docs

but anyway that's irrelevant because we're tolkein about medical residents and interns who get paid like teachers for 80 hour weeks and lol no other country does that

those teachers are also working 80 hours tho, don't act like doctors have it so bad by comparing them to one of the most underpaid professions in america

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
i have no opinion on this argument but my dr school friends like to throw this graph around a whole bunch

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

those teachers are also working 80 hours tho, don't act like doctors have it so bad by comparing them to one of the most underpaid professions in america

teachers work nowhere near the hours of residents; residents have 24 hour shifts

^^^ the md like hours line shouldn't exist because it is literally illegal for professional drivers

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

pr0zac posted:

i have no opinion on this argument but my dr school friends like to throw this graph around a whole bunch

i'm wish i was the delivery driver making six figures for a job a robot could do

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

^^^ the md like hours line shouldn't exist because it is literally illegal for professional drivers

the sharing economy will correct this oversight

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Manfred Macx?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

teachers work nowhere near the hours of residents; residents have 24 hour shifts

surgery routinely pulls 36ers

if you have surgery in the US your doctor was likely awake and in the hospital for 18 hours when he starts cuttin into you

but ofc the AMA says that patient handoffs are far far more dangerous than exhaustion-related medical errors and the chronic medical problems that physicians have as a result of this

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hobbesmaster posted:

the point is that they still work less even after they've been passed up in net worth

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

surgery routinely pulls 36ers

if you have surgery in the US your doctor was likely awake and in the hospital for 18 hours when he starts cuttin into you

but ofc the AMA says that patient handoffs are far far more dangerous than exhaustion-related medical errors and the chronic medical problems that physicians have as a result of this

I thought the reforms were no shifts over 24 hours and no more than 80hr weeks

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

qntm posted:

Manfred Macx?

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought the reforms were no shifts over 24 hours and no more than 80hr weeks

that's full-on surgeons

residents are limited to 24 hours (16 during first year) and an average of 1 day off a week (averaged over 4 weeks)

ofc there's absolutely no pressure whatsoever for residents to misreport hours or anything

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Soricidus posted:

i'm wish i was the delivery driver making six figures for a job a robot could do

ups drivers average like 70k plus benefits

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
most teachers easily average 60-70 hours/week during the school year. could be more depending on how many classes you're teaching and how big your classes are. teachers are hosed, and unlike doctor the pay and respect never comes.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

born on a buy you posted:

most teachers easily average 60-70 hours/week during the school year. could be more depending on how many classes you're teaching and how big your classes are. teachers are hosed, and unlike doctor the pay and respect never comes.

yeah, teachers' work days start early and end very late and they're constantly berated the entire time and dealing with lovely children and they will most likely never crack 40K and no one respects them

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

yeah, teachers' work days start early and end very late and they're constantly berated the entire time and dealing with lovely children and they will most likely never crack 40K and no one respects them

the police officers union needs to show solidarity with the teachers union and have a strike for better conditions/weapons

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the police officers union needs to show solidarity with the teachers union and have a strike for better conditions/weapons

they didn't strike in chicago but a lot of police officers did march with the teachers :unsmith:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

now that you're in your 40s you can finally start stackin that paper!

so yes, your friend easily withstood a decade of being treated like a slave and despite that certainly achieved within the top echelon of her cohort, so rightly or wrongly many of them feel entitled to that pay because it's a grueling climb that's only made longer the more you achieve

this person is i believe 35-36 and was just hired last year so she is a high achiever yes. she also has a 2 year old and another baby just born and both of them are entirely cared for by nannies and the grandparents.

but my point wasn't that they were overpaid, but that they are paid 5+ times the average household income for working 2x the average working hours so they shouldn't really gripe that they are worked too hard. if you don't want to work so hard get a job that works you less, and they'll give you less money for it too, but you'll survive and these are the tradeoffs you have chosen.

fwiw my dad at age 60 still works 11 hour days 5 days a week.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my doctor finished his doctor stuff but then didnt do a job for 10 years to raise him family and then went back to his job as a internist and now hes my doctor. hes cool and doesnt care about stuff, whcih is good, to me

• Locked thread