Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

When do we get the ripoff of 2D Sonics kickstarter so I can finally have a good Sonic game after 20 years.

You missed the Kickstarter and it's on Steam already http://store.steampowered.com/app/248310/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I said good, the good Sonics didn't have long rear end voice overs and a dozen characters and poo poo.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Good point.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Sigma-X posted:

No one is making 2D Metroid games so that's why I backed it.

Wasn't Shadow Complex basically a 2D Metroid game?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Suspicious Dish posted:

Wasn't Shadow Complex basically a 2D Metroid game?
Shadow Complex is 5 years old.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
And Epic/Chair don't give a ffuuuuuuuck that you liked it because they're never porting it or making another one because gently caress you.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yodzilla posted:

And Epic/Chair don't give a ffuuuuuuuck that you liked it because they're never porting it or making another one because gently caress you.

:(

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

I said good, the good Sonics didn't have long rear end voice overs and a dozen characters and poo poo.

At least they're skippable, and as far as I can tell there are only three playable characters, like everyone's favorite Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Still within the definition of bad?

I guess it would be if you include that whole intentional lovely Sonic 4 broken physics thing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Finished Neverending Nightmares. Glad I backed it and there's definitely some good things about the title but man I kinda wish it was more...something. Just more to do, see, hear, whatever.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Yodzilla posted:

Finished Neverending Nightmares. Glad I backed it and there's definitely some good things about the title but man I kinda wish it was more...something. Just more to do, see, hear, whatever.
Some of this was that the game actually came out on time, which is a minor miracle, but also meant that stuff had to be cut and there wasn't as much time for polish and all the planned content. Really though, a Kickstarter game released when it said it would, that's gotta be one of the first.

Octopus City Blues released a demo to the $15+ backers, and a public demo is supposed to come in a couple weeks or so. The game is going to be a long while yet (2015), they've run into some slowdowns, notably the NPC scheduling and Guilt and Stress systems that are going to be in the game are (surprise) getting more complicated than anticipated.

Anyway the demo looks pretty rad so far. It's shaping into something very singular and with quite a bit of NPC interaction already. There's a "gossip" system where you talk to NPCs or just discover things which you can then go tell other NPCs and get different reactions.

One of the most exciting new developments though is a turbo boost for the main character

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

:siren::woop::siren:Refract is streaming Distance today (or tonight)!!!:siren::woop::siren:

Text link to Refract's Twitch channel

It's been 2 years since Distance started development, so Refract are celebrating by streaming different versions and prototypes of it. The streams so far have been really cool, it'll be nice seeing older versions, don't think we've ever seen the version of the car that's at the far-left. :eyepop:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
That Which Sleeps is in the last 5 days of its Kickstarter. They made all their initial stretch goals and are only a few hundred dollars away from making the first of their new set. They also got Greenlit and are planning on being on Steam Early Access early next year.

Which is all nice, but at the same time, their video devlogs have dried up while their text devlogs have been increasingly wilder promises and more elaborate mechanics. The pre-Kickstarter devlogs were what completely sold me on the game so for them to become rather lacking while the scope of an already ambitious game rapidly grows is kind of worrying.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

It's a real pity that Artemis doesn't let you skin the hell out of it and insert custom ship designs easily so they can release their TOTALLY NOT STAR TREK bridge commander game and everyone can pop an LCARS skin and TreK ship models into it.

I've played a couple of Artemis sessions and it's pretty awesome, just grab some buddies with tablets/laptops and a big TV or projector and you're good to go. I also believe the development is basically a one man show.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

1stGear posted:

That Which Sleeps is in the last 5 days of its Kickstarter. They made all their initial stretch goals and are only a few hundred dollars away from making the first of their new set. They also got Greenlit and are planning on being on Steam Early Access early next year.

Which is all nice, but at the same time, their video devlogs have dried up while their text devlogs have been increasingly wilder promises and more elaborate mechanics. The pre-Kickstarter devlogs were what completely sold me on the game so for them to become rather lacking while the scope of an already ambitious game rapidly grows is kind of worrying.

I think procedural generation is the most worrying stretch goal, but looking at their technical post on it, what they're doing actually sounds somewhat feasible. If it was content-free burbling I'd be very worried, but they've limited the scope fairly sharply and from the systems they're talking about I believe them when they say they have a working proof of concept. And the new stretch goals all seem to be eminently reasonable, to the point where I suspect they're intentionally low-balling them to give themselves some padding on the original ones.

Also, frankly, they've been working on the game for free for a long time now and the Kickstarter was primarily for art assets. If and when they run out of money, they'll probably just go back to working on it part-time.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Great Joe posted:

:siren::woop::siren:Refract is streaming Distance today (or tonight)!!!:siren::woop::siren:

Text link to Refract's Twitch channel

It's been 2 years since Distance started development, so Refract are celebrating by streaming different versions and prototypes of it. The streams so far have been really cool, it'll be nice seeing older versions, don't think we've ever seen the version of the car that's at the far-left. :eyepop:
It's on!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

1stGear posted:

Like pumpinglemma said I think that they've been fairly reasonable with the new stretch goals so far. All of them are just adding animations on top of the map to visualize a POI modifier and I honestly think the only hard goal they've set is endless mode and procedural generation. That said I'm very excited for the modding potential because the dev told me that putting in a new map is as simple as importing a .png or other image file and that serves as your map background, you can then just stuff all the POI's you want into it and I have a few ideas for some Dominions style scenarios.

They have been insanely slow on the videos though, which is going to hurt their potential funding because those were the ones that really fed the donation drive and they should really get the last 2 parts out before the kickstarter ends, preferably a day or two before.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Jon Shafer (lead on Civ V) posted an hour-long vid of him playing the latest version of At The Gates. It looks alright.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
I've been looking around and I can't find ANY info on Yogventures. Besides this of course:

How is a popular internet comedy group (is it right to call them that?) able to get away with stealing 150k bucks?

V!ntar fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 16, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

V!ntar posted:

How is a popular internet comedy group (is it right to call them that?) able to get away with stealing 150k bucks?

It's the punchline, one would presume. :downsrim:

There were a lot of details earlier in the thread when the dev team announced the cancellation. A stunning amount of incompetence and mismanagement, in short.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

V!ntar posted:

The same way they've been able to get away with having members who sexually assault people.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Oh boy I gotta hear this.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

V!ntar posted:

I've been looking around and I can't find ANY info on Yogventures. Besides this of course:

its short for Ye Old Goon Squad :eng101:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

V!ntar posted:

There's coverage of it early in the thread. Basically, they kept a portion of it themselves (fees for appearing in their own video game!) and outsourced development to a junior dev team with little experience; they hosed up a few contracts, much money was wasted, and they were woefully behind schedule.

The dev went bankrupt, the fate of the remaining money (if any is left) is unknown, and Yogscast tried to buy backers' silence by negotiating with another kickstarter mmo project (TUG) to add some Yogscast content and give all the backers free keys.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ullerrm posted:

There's coverage of it early in the thread. Basically, they kept a portion of it themselves (fees for appearing in their own video game!) and outsourced development to a junior dev team with little experience; they hosed up a few contracts, much money was wasted, and they were woefully behind schedule.

The dev went bankrupt, the fate of the remaining money (if any is left) is unknown, and Yogscast tried to buy backers' silence by negotiating with another kickstarter mmo project (TUG) to add some Yogscast content and give all the backers free keys.

and of course TUG is now apparently having difficulties too.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
A kickstarter for this went live yesterday:

Text link.

The Hazewalker Kickstarter posted:

A painterly 2.5D Metroidvania about harnessing the power that destroyed your homeland in order to save it.

Hazewalker is a dark fantasy action-adventure game. Become Falken, the one man or woman who is able to resist the effects of the ancient curse known as the Haze. Use your unique abilities to teleport around enemies, dodge traps, solve environmental challenges, and more.

There's a :siren:playable demo:siren: on the Kickstarter page, too.

The lead designer is Chesko, who's made a lot of good Skyrim mods (particularly Frostfall). He did some work on War for the Overworld, as well.

The game looks and sounds drat pretty, in my opinion, and I think it'll turn out to be something great. :shobon:

It's also up for Greenlight, if anyone cares about that.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

V!ntar posted:

To unironically answer your question, they got away with it because of how they structured their contract with Winterkewl. Kickstarter's TOS (at the time Yogventures was backed) requires that any companies raising funds through Kickstarter fulfil all backer rewards or offer full refunds to any tier that didn't receive 100% of the promised rewards for their tier. Winkerkewl is the company with kickstarted Yogventures. Even though the Yogscast was heavily involved in the project, they are legally distinct from Winterkewl and thus are shielded from the legal requirement to deliver rewards or offer refunds.

From reading Winterkewl's postmortums, Yogscast received mandatory licensing fees from Winterkewl's project, and maintained management control over significant aspects of the Yogsventure project, but since they never engaged in a Kickstarter project themselves they never became legally responsible for delivering the final product. When Winterkewl announced they were going bust and could not deliver the final product or offer refunds, the responsibility to fulfil backer rewards died with them. While the Yogscast was heavily involved in the whole project, anyone backing the Yogsventures Kickstarter technically only entered into an agreement with the now-defunct Winterkewl Games, which means that the Yogscast has no legal responsibility to make things right for the backers.

It's super lovely, but in summary the company that kickstarted the Yogscast game is not the same entity as the Yogscast.

Game of Cones
Apr 7, 2011
We've decided to throw our 3D action RPG Everstar up onto the growing pile of October kickstarters:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/psychosorted/everstar-0

Tactics. Direct control. Physics. Cutscenes. Choices. Job system. At the very least you can laugh at how ambitious we are!

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

This sword swing is sooooo slow. All the melee attacks in the video are slow! The visuals in your game are good but the character animations all feel like they're done by somebody with very little experience in animating. Everything that should be snappy is a smooth gliding motion.

The large open environments feel like MMO environments too, and the characters have Sonic Adventure level lip-syncing, but those are both understandable as consequences of being an alpha build.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Count Uvula posted:

This sword swing is sooooo slow. All the melee attacks in the video are slow!

It's funny, I can see this and identify it mainly because of following the pixel art thread; but yeah, gotta have snaps and near-instant motions in the right places to communicate strength of movement.

Game of Cones
Apr 7, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

This sword swing is sooooo slow. All the melee attacks in the video are slow! The visuals in your game are good but the character animations all feel like they're done by somebody with very little experience in animating. Everything that should be snappy is a smooth gliding motion.

That's interesting. We originally weren't going to have direct melee controls, and when we did we sped up the animations until it felt right. We were inspired by the more purposeful Dark Souls movements than beat-em-ups, but you are right. Our designer was doing double-duty for animations and one of the things we need funding for is an experienced animator.

quote:

the characters have Sonic Adventure level lip-syncing, but those are both understandable as consequences of being an alpha build.

There is definitely some severe puppet head action going on. We are still working on our motion capture solution!

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Re the Yogscast game, this post was rather prescient. If you're in any doubt as to which occured, we got the Zybourne Clock.

emoticon posted:

The Yogscast game is definitely going to be funded. It will probably be a functional but terrible game at best, and a disaster on the level of the Zybourne Clock at worst. If someone tells you his very first game is going to be exactly like a famous best-selling game, but better, run for the hills. Chances are poor that it will be anything resembling good.

On another note I really like how Interstellaria is coming along and Massive Chalice is going into beta on the 21st of this month.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Zwingley posted:

Text link.

The lead designer is Chesko, who's made a lot of good Skyrim mods (particularly Frostfall). He did some work on War for the Overworld, as well.

The game looks and sounds drat pretty, in my opinion, and I think it'll turn out to be something great. :shobon:

I put down $30 for this because the PC is starved for good Metroidvanias, though I hope the animations improve-they all look really stiff right now. Definitely looks like it'll be a good game though.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Humerus posted:

I put down $30 for this because the PC is starved for good Metroidvanias, though I hope the animations improve-they all look really stiff right now. Definitely looks like it'll be a good game though.

Yeah it looks interesting but the animation, and the art in general really rub me the wrong way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zwingley posted:

Text link.

Hey, its pretty much exactly the Darksouls-Castlevania idea I was working on before I redesigned it to be less ambitious. (Not that its an overly original idea) This looks pretty cool, some parts are rough but its still in development. I like it. Also nice that you can play a dude or a lady.

Game of Cones posted:

We've decided to throw our 3D action RPG Everstar up onto the growing pile of October kickstarters:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/psychosorted/everstar-0

Tactics. Direct control. Physics. Cutscenes. Choices. Job system. At the very least you can laugh at how ambitious we are!

drat, that looks really spiffy. Very ambitious for an indie game, you're pretty much making Dragon Age Inquisition right here. Good luck though, what you have shows a whole ton of promise.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Cutscenes suck and you should do away with them.

I mean the idea in general not specifically yours.

edit: oh goddammit don't put yourself and your story in the video

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skyshinegames/bedlam

Bedlam has almost passed the 100,000 dollars mark with one week left. Lets hope they can make it, as the game looks really really good and I'm a sucker for the art style.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005
This is a game about pineapples. That go to school.
It reminds me of prison architect.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/subalterngames/no-pineapple-left-behind

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The GAME LOADING indie game documentary looks pretty decent and needs a final push with three days to go https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/studiobento/game-loading-the-final-push

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vDwUaJTIVQ

e: there's a different trailer on the kickstarter page but unless i'm stupid i can't find it on youtube

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.

papasyhotcakes posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skyshinegames/bedlam

Bedlam has almost passed the 100,000 dollars mark with one week left. Lets hope they can make it, as the game looks really really good and I'm a sucker for the art style.

They also posted up my dog in the latest update!

He's a good boy that needs to be voted for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The Octopus City Blues demo is now public: http://ghost-in-a-bottle.itch.io/octopus-city-blues

There's a good chunk of content in the demo, it's probably about 45 minutes - an hour if you check everything out.