Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mazda6
Sep 4, 2014

by Ion Helmet
I'm severely mentally ill (bipolar, borderline personality disorder)and i've tried for years and years and can't hold down a job for more than 3 months. i don't know what to do, it's not a question of not really trying, i am really this inept. i don't want to live on the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9OO0S5w2k

mazda6
Sep 4, 2014

by Ion Helmet

This is a serious topic, please help me :(

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Volunteer Farming. You will, however, have to learn to get over yourself, work like a maniac, and deal with some people, for the good of the world.

https://wwoofusa.org/

http://manga.redhawkscans.com/reader/read/silver_spoon/en/0/1/page/1

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mazda6 posted:

I'm severely mentally ill (bipolar, borderline personality disorder)and i've tried for years and years and can't hold down a job for more than 3 months. i don't know what to do, it's not a question of not really trying, i am really this inept. i don't want to live on the street.
Are these real mental disorders that you were diagnosed as having by a real doctor? If so, the place you need to go is therapy. While you're working on sorting out the train wreck that is your life get on assistance. Contact a social worker to figure out how that works in your country/state/province.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Volunteer Farming.
Hmm, yes. This person can't hold down a job waiting tables at Denny's. Grueling manual labor on a farm full of strangers sounds like the perfect atmosphere for them.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Are you a 20 something year old girl?

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
In Canada, you can get disability for mental illness. I don't know where you live, but there's probably something similar.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Number Two Stunna posted:

In Canada, you can get disability for mental illness. I don't know where you live, but there's probably something similar.

Yeah, the US has disability, but the OP, depending on age, if they really have had such a patchy job history they're likely eligibile for no/minimal SSD which leaves them with SSI - which is wholly income dependent. So it's entirely possible that OP could be found disabled but not be eligible for any benefits due to other income (spouse, parents, etc.) SSI is also only about $768/mo, which is not enough to live off of in a lot of areas on the country either.....

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Have you tried prison?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mazda6 posted:

Sounds like you should try Tumblr.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Sounds like you should try Tumblr.

/shots fired.

Unless you mean OP should consider creating a site like tumblr which sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

YourHealthyColon
Nov 21, 2013
French foreign legion.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
step one is to stop taking recreational drugs. I don't have a problem with them in general, but if you are having trouble functioning in society, perhaps they are contributing to the problem.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662699

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

adorai posted:

step one is to stop taking recreational drugs. I don't have a problem with them in general, but if you are having trouble functioning in society, perhaps they are contributing to the problem.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662699

a small dose of LSD might help :cool:

but really though. every single person i've ever met who was "bipolar" or had "BPD" constantly either drank or got hosed up on some form of drug 24/7.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Join the military, get hosed up somehow, get out early, get disability. Only way. It youre already hosed up, try to get through the SSI/SSDI process somehow. I have asked the same question myself many a time

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
mazda6- are those conditions you listed actually diagnosed from a doctor? Because if they're legitimate illnesses then you really need to discuss those with a health professional before you can start thinking about staying gainfully employed. If you have unresolved medical issues it won't matter what kind of job you get into because your health condition will just cause you to drop the job, and pick up another casual one, and repeat the cycle like you've been doing already.

It'd also be helpful for you to tell us state/city you live in, because then we'd be in a better position to recommend any local agencies that can assist you.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
Start a youtube channel and go viral. Wasn't there some dude who made a living from eating weird things until his stomach ruptured?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Gay for pay.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

YourHealthyColon posted:

French foreign legion.

Pro's:
1-learn cool sexy Francais
2-passport from EU powerhouse available on completion of 1st tour
2.b-mooch off French social saftey net as a sadbrains chain smoker
2.c-meet manic pixy dream girl and or romantic older lady
3- €36.000++ on completion of first tour
3.b-which is like tons of US funbux if you want to move there w your French speaking and work experiance

Con's:
1-have to fly to France to sign up
1.b-thats it

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez

Tautologicus posted:

Join the military, get your poo poo together. Come work in the real world like a big boy/girl upon completion.

Fixed.

Alternately if you're an attractive 20-something female just find a successful guy and hitch on for the ride. This works if you're male too but is much less common.

Grey Skies
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Suck cock for crack, but unbeknownst to your punters, secretly sell the crack for money. Then live off the money.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Pro's:
1-learn cool sexy Francais
2-passport from EU powerhouse available on completion of 1st tour
2.b-mooch off French social saftey net as a sadbrains chain smoker
2.c-meet manic pixy dream girl and or romantic older lady
3- €36.000++ on completion of first tour
3.b-which is like tons of US funbux if you want to move there w your French speaking and work experiance

Con's:
1-have to fly to France to sign up
1.b-thats it

Do they offer good health insurance/dental care? Does it require a average or above average level of French?

I'm asking for a friend.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Alder posted:

Do they offer good health insurance/dental care? Does it require a average or above average level of French?

I'm asking for a friend.

The Legion will cover any medical, dental, vision & funeral costs related to your service, and the French government has a well subsidised public health system that is affordable and accessible.

The only French language requirements are that you sign a legal document in French to enlist, which says that you read and understood it. They will only ever talk to you in French, tho, so if you know a bit going in it will help. Anyone who finishes their tour will certainly be fluent.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Arnold of Soissons posted:

The Legion will cover any medical, dental, vision & funeral costs related to your service, and the French government has a well subsidised public health system that is affordable and accessible.

The only French language requirements are that you sign a legal document in French to enlist, which says that you read and understood it. They will only ever talk to you in French, tho, so if you know a bit going in it will help. Anyone who finishes their tour will certainly be fluent.

Sounds interesting, my friend will be curious about this idea now. Thanks for the info.

Wait, is there a age/gender restriction in place? BRB.

Yes, there are actually a few rules and I won't be able to enlist at the end :sigh:

Alder fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 16, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Alder posted:

Sounds interesting, my friend will be curious about this idea now. Thanks for the info.

Yes, there are actually a few rules and I won't be able to enlist at the end :sigh:
Yes, but your friend is still eligible, right?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Everblight posted:

Yes, but your friend is still eligible, right?

Boys only but if so probably

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

mazda6 posted:

I can't hold down a job for more than 3 months.

Why? Are you quitting or getting fired? Is there a pattern that keeps repeating?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Consider a career as a catamite.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Alder posted:

You know you can lie and they won't give a gently caress right? The whole point of the foreign legion is to give gently caress ups a chance st a new identity (also not spill French blood protecting colonial interests).
That said they are supposed to be quite the hardasses so if you are sadbrains you will probably end up pulling a gomer pyle.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
Yeah, from what I hear, most Legionnaires from 1st world countries end up deserting.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Counter point: many sad brains from first world countries have joined the French Foreign Legion and gone on to do sex on many French women while smoking cigarettes and being moody, like Pete Seeger's dad or Cole Porter

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
If there is any reference to drug use in the info the ssa obtains, disability (in some states) will be an uphill battle.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Theres also communes (black bear ranch in northern ca is one), religous (christian and buddhist are the most accomodating) centers in the US and around the world, and intentional communities. Depends on how serious you are about not workin for the man. But everywhere requires you put in some effort of some kind. Ive been looking into this stuff for like a decade now, and have followed through with some of it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tautologicus posted:

Theres also communes (black bear ranch in northern ca is one), religous (christian and buddhist are the most accomodating) centers in the US and around the world, and intentional communities. Depends on how serious you are about not workin for the man. But everywhere requires you put in some effort of some kind. Ive been looking into this stuff for like a decade now, and have followed through with some of it.

what if i don't like to follow rules or orders?

Honestly, I've had friends talk about joining the military as an attempt to find their "purpose" in life but personally from my exp they seemed to be the least kind of people who'd listen to someone else even if that person is their boss.

Although in the end, who can say?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alder posted:

what if i don't like to follow rules or orders?

Honestly, I've had friends talk about joining the military as an attempt to find their "purpose" in life but personally from my exp they seemed to be the least kind of people who'd listen to someone else even if that person is their boss.

Although in the end, who can say?

Why don't you like to follow rules or orders? Unless you are drat good at creating your own thing, youve got to suck that up because society has no place for you. I have a friend who started a successful transportation business at 21 and is a very hard worker but because he didn't like to follow rules and thought he knew best at all times he lost it all. Almost a decade later and he learned to code and is working for a small software developer. He had to have it beaten into him that it can't be you against the world unless you either get very lucky or get very lucky. He wasn't even unlucky, it was just what was going to happen to him. Im the same way but thats a different story. You have to learn to listen and relate to others (and sometimes like their ideas) in order to do anything. Or have a big trust fund I guess.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Basically, lead, follow, or get out of the way. I can tell you from experience that there is no money or prestige in the third option, none at all. Im ok with it, but are you?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also if you are very good at something, people will put up with a lot. But a know nothing with an attitude? Take a hike.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tautologicus posted:

Basically, lead, follow, or get out of the way. I can tell you from experience that there is no money or prestige in the third option, none at all. Im ok with it, but are you?

I said I don't like following rules and not that I refuse to follow *all* rules :unsmith:

Pretty much OK w/average life myself I don't have a goal to become the next batman or anything. These days I'm more interested in Not That Bad Life than Extraordinary Life but that's just me ofc.

Reminds me, where did OP go anyways?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Alder posted:

I said I don't like following rules
Nobody does. That's why they have penalties for not following them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Nobody does. That's why they have penalties for not following them.

Depends on the severity and enforcement of rules for the person which can vary. I don't mind rules which promote general public safety and privacy.

• Locked thread