Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

10 partners, 5 associates, 5 senior counsel, 5 of counsel, so ?
Boutique. If you get it your experience is going to be really different from mine, and I'll be curious as to how it goes. Some of the boutiques are prosecution sweatshops (you might be turning around responses in four billable hours), others supposedly have much better work-life balance than you can find at a large firm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
How does one transition into a boutique practice firm (that is, get hired into as an outsider)? Just be really good at that particular specialized area, and hope the right set of people notice?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Green Crayons posted:

How does one transition into a boutique practice firm (that is, get hired into as an outsider)? Just be really good at that particular specialized area, and hope the right set of people notice?

Hope is not a strategy. Instead, just ask them. Find local networking events that they'll be at, and make an impression. Read their blog posts and media publications. Call one of their partners and offer to take them to lunch so you can pick their brains about getting into boutique practice.

Contacts and networking.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Fiddlesticks. Networking. That thing.

Thanks for the Don't Forget How To Be A Professional 101.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ersatz posted:

Boutique. If you get it your experience is going to be really different from mine, and I'll be curious as to how it goes. Some of the boutiques are prosecution sweatshops (you might be turning around responses in four billable hours), others supposedly have much better work-life balance than you can find at a large firm.

Are responses to rejections anything like responses to arguments?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Green Crayons posted:

I work at a boutique (at least until everything goes through for an upcoming lateral move). In our practice area, it seems like we and most other similar firms get a slow trickle of junior associates from the summer program, plus recruiting laterals around the 3rd-5th year range that have relevant experience.

But yeah. Networking.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Ersatz posted:

To expand on this, the key thing you will want to try to determine during an interview is how much of the work is foreign originated prosecution. At most of the decent boutiques I'm familiar with (and the one I spent some time at before jumping ship for more money and stress), you'll be exposed to a fair amount of new application drafting, opinion work, and other analysis in addition to your prosecution docket. The majority of the sweatshops I'm familiar with handle mostly U.S. national phase filings and foreign origin prosecution under the close supervision of foreign in-house counsel.

Of course, you can make good money in a sweatshop if you have a strong work ethic and can move volume - many of these firms work on an eat-what-you-kill system where you get paid by the response, and you can get very efficient at patent prosecution if you do it long enough. However, at the right firm you'll get a broader range of experience and learn how to draft an application, how to license it, how to provide freedom-to-practice opinions, and the like. Having at least some exposure to these skills makes it easier to sell yourself to potential clients (if you have long term plans to push for partner), and makes you more desirable for in-house positions (if you don't).

Green Crayons posted:

My first job at a small boutique (<10 attorneys/patent agents) I got through applying through my schools career services office. My second job at a mid-sized boutique (~70 attorneys) I got through a headhunter. While it's always easier to get a job if you know the right people, if you have the appropriate skill set in whatever the boutique specializes in, in most cases I would say just send your resume.

NJ Deac fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 17, 2014

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Play Dota you nerds.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

mikeraskol posted:

Play Dota you nerds.

Play Archeage you nerds.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

Play Dota you nerds.

Dota's too hard for me. Hell, posting is clearly too hard for me. I need easy things in my life.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Direwolf posted:

Job goes up on job board, I like job description, I send in application, they call me same day and have lovely conversation with lady on other end about position and firm.

Google named partner, he was publicly censured in 2011 for misconduct from 2005/2006 where he filed several things late/missed deadlines. According to the records he hasn't had any issues since 2007, but how much of a red flag is this?

Depends largely on the area of practice. A few substantiated grievances in either criminal defense or family (especially if it's a high volume practice) isn't that big a deal because they are often dealing with irrational/emotional clients and probably get grieved all the time. Stay under the microscope log enough and someone is bound to spot some dirt ebola particles.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Yesterday I spent the better part of an afternoon conducting voir dire around the deep philosophical question of "Horde or Alliance"

Today I spent the better part of an afternoon listening to a trial judge complain about how old he felt and answering questions that may as well have been "So...is that anything like Pong? I hear the kids like Pong."

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Arcturas posted:

Dota's too hard for me. Hell, posting is clearly too hard for me. I need easy things in my life.

Dota is just another really good way to inflict pain and misery in your life, I find it complements big law extremely well.

Just got home from a crushing day at work, let's play a one hour Dota match where your team screams at each other the entire time yet still drags the game out for too long only to lose. Gives me some perspective.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ActusRhesus posted:

Depends largely on the area of practice. A few substantiated grievances in either criminal defense or family (especially if it's a high volume practice) isn't that big a deal because they are often dealing with irrational/emotional clients and probably get grieved all the time. Stay under the microscope log enough and someone is bound to spot some dirt ebola particles.

There's a big difference between having someone file a grievance, which is an occupational hazard in criminal defense and in particular public defender work, and going to a disciplinary hearing and losing. I've averaged a grievance every two years. In one they opened an investigation (I had blown a deadline) but it was already fixed by the time they contacted me. The rest were, "this is what your client said you did/didn't do, what's your side of the story?" and were closed upon my reply.

Best one: "In open court, the judge accused me of stabbing my grandmother in the neck and robbing her and Mr. Mon didn't do anything about it!"
(He was charged with stabbing his grandma in the neck and robbing her - and stealing her car. The 'accusation' was the judge reading the basis for the application to revoke probation in his two other cases)

Three simple tricks bar grievers HATE:
1. Communicate with your client. Explain what's happening and why. Answer their questions. Take their calls, return their calls, keep them updated. Make them think, "God, my attorney won't stop talking to me about my case!"*
2. Keep contemporary notes. KEEP CONTEMPORARY NOTES KEEP CONTEMPORARY NOTES
3. When you screw up, start getting it unscrewed immediately. Ask for help if you need it. Then tell your client what you did and how you are fixing it.

*Know when this isn't working.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

joat mon posted:

There's a big difference between having someone file a grievance, which is an occupational hazard in criminal defense and in particular public defender work, and going to a disciplinary hearing and losing. I've averaged a grievance every two years. In one they opened an investigation (I had blown a deadline) but it was already fixed by the time they contacted me. The rest were, "this is what your client said you did/didn't do, what's your side of the story?" and were closed upon my reply.

Best one: "In open court, the judge accused me of stabbing my grandmother in the neck and robbing her and Mr. Mon didn't do anything about it!"
(He was charged with stabbing his grandma in the neck and robbing her - and stealing her car. The 'accusation' was the judge reading the basis for the application to revoke probation in his two other cases)

Three simple tricks bar grievers HATE:
1. Communicate with your client. Explain what's happening and why. Answer their questions. Take their calls, return their calls, keep them updated. Make them think, "God, my attorney won't stop talking to me about my case!"*
2. Keep contemporary notes. KEEP CONTEMPORARY NOTES KEEP CONTEMPORARY NOTES
3. When you screw up, start getting it unscrewed immediately. Ask for help if you need it. Then tell your client what you did and how you are fixing it.

*Know when this isn't working.

Completely agree. My point was just that having *a* public record, by itself, isn't necessarily a red flag that the person is not worth working with. But yeah...talk to your client.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I discovered a great new phrase for dealing with family law clients.

"Great. Send me a check."

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Are responses to rejections anything like responses to arguments?

If you're wondering if Examiner's response to the brief is anything like examiners response to applicants arguments in an OA, then yeah - pretty much. Except for the realization that the board might read what you wrote and have the power to over rule you in an embarrassing fashion.

I suggest a new grounds for rejection. More opportunity for the thing to just go away.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Sovereign citizen filed a lawsuit in our court today. So that's fun.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Alaemon posted:

Sovereign citizen filed a lawsuit in our court today. So that's fun.

Fun. One of our judges has a beautiful way of dealing with these on the criminal side: sir, since you don't recognize the laws of this state or the authority of this court, you can't make a valid promise to appear, so I can't set bail. Marshalls?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

I discovered a great new phrase for dealing with family law clients.

"Great. Send me a check."

The ONE trick family law attorneys dint want you to know!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
My last divorce client would call me to bitch about his ex-wife, sometimes for up to an hour at a time. I would turn the timer on and play Minesweeper. Every 5 minutes or so I'd interject and remind him I was billing for the call and we were accomplishing nothing. No effect.

Every single month he'd call to complain about the bill. He could not seem to make that causal link.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

My last divorce client would call me to bitch about his ex-wife, sometimes for up to an hour at a time. I would turn the timer on and play Minesweeper. Every 5 minutes or so I'd interject and remind him I was billing for the call and we were accomplishing nothing. No effect.

Every single month he'd call to complain about the bill. He could not seem to make that causal link.

In a former life I was a JAG type...had to advise sailors who married strippers and were now dealing with the completely foreseeable consequences of that decision. After multiple iterations of "OK, I can talk to you about what forms to fill out and where to file and whether or not your separation agreement looks legit...but if you want to spend the next hour talking about how the bitch done you wrong, the chaplain is down the hall" didn't work, I went to build a bear workshop and made a bear in a rough approximation of our uniform that said the following when you squeezed its paw: "Hi. I'm the divorce bear. Please tell me all about that rotten bitch you married. I care so LT [redacted] doesn't have to." He sat on the shelf next to the "Ethics and Appropriations Kitty".

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

ActusRhesus posted:

In a former life I was a JAG type...had to advise sailors who married strippers and were now dealing with the completely foreseeable consequences of that decision. After multiple iterations of "OK, I can talk to you about what forms to fill out and where to file and whether or not your separation agreement looks legit...but if you want to spend the next hour talking about how the bitch done you wrong, the chaplain is down the hall" didn't work, I went to build a bear workshop and made a bear in a rough approximation of our uniform that said the following when you squeezed its paw: "Hi. I'm the divorce bear. Please tell me all about that rotten bitch you married. I care so LT [redacted] doesn't have to." He sat on the shelf next to the "Ethics and Appropriations Kitty".
Hahaha

But dear god, the only thing on earth I can imagine worse than doing family law is doing family law for soldiers and army wives

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

CaptainScraps posted:

Play Archeage you nerds.

play poker you nerds

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Hahaha

But dear god, the only thing on earth I can imagine worse than doing family law is doing family law for soldiers and army wives

It was my personal vision of hell. The later anecdote was from an SJA tour where legal assistance was only done as a courtesy to the command and most of my focus was on operational and fiscal law (and responding to form letters from people who have to pretend they give a poo poo about some rear end in a top hat's whining about something stupid because it's an election year congressional inquiries.)

But my first assignment was straight up legal assistance. And yes...military wives are the worst. Surpassed only by wives of retired military. I volunteered to go to Iraq just to get away from it...and then volunteered to extend in Iraq to avoid having to go back. In the balancing test, mortars were more appealing than dealing with those hambeasts (though in fairness...they weren't particularly precise mortars. more like some dudes sticking a rocket in a PVC pipe and hoping for the best)

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

:nyd:
:allears:

Is there a SCOTUS threadnaught contest going on?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

ActusRhesus posted:

ActusRhesus posted:

It was my personal vision of hell. The later anecdote was from an SJA tour where legal assistance was only done as a courtesy to the command and most of my focus was on operational and fiscal law (and responding to form letters from people who have to pretend they give a poo poo about some rear end in a top hat's whining about something stupid because it's an election year congressional inquiries.)

But my first assignment was straight up legal assistance. And yes...military wives are the worst. Surpassed only by wives of retired military. I volunteered to go to Iraq just to get away from it...and then volunteered to extend in Iraq to avoid having to go back. In the balancing test, mortars were more appealing than dealing with those hambeasts (though in fairness...they weren't particularly precise mortars. more like some dudes sticking a rocket in a PVC pipe and hoping for the best)

This is the first time I've actually enjoyed reading two posts in a row from someone new to the thread.

I nominate this guy for best new poster of the year.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

HiddenReplaced posted:

This is the first time I've actually enjoyed reading two posts in a row from someone new to the thread.

Same.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

HiddenReplaced posted:

Actually, a she. She really stirred up the SCOTUS thread by trying to discuss legalities instead of parroting the prevailing political opinions over there. It begins about here:

ActusRhesus posted:

This is great news. Requiring facilities that conduct invasive medical procedures to adhere to set medical standards would be detrimental to women's health.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
loving debate threads. I don't understand how a lawyer would spend all goddamn day arguing against real people, in real courts, for real money and at the expense of the lawyer's humanity...and then spend his/her precious spare time arguing against internet keyboard jockeys for free.

What kind of sick monkey gets off on that? TELL ME

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

But people are WRONG on the INTERNET

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

HiddenReplaced posted:

I nominate this guy girl/lady/female/wmyn/whatever won't get my avatar changed again for best new poster of the year.

fixed ;) and thank you. Will there be acceptance speeches involved?

patentmagus posted:

:allears:

Is there a SCOTUS threadnaught contest going on?

Heh...yeah...about that...I don't know what I loved more: (1) having avatar changed to Godwin's law violation (is that still a thing?); (2) having someone flounce only to start sending PMs 15 minutes later because they were too embarrassed to return post flounce but damnit must get that last word in!; or (3) the standard go-to irony of being called a misogynist by a man in response to a conversation about women's health.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

loving debate threads. I don't understand how a lawyer would spend all goddamn day arguing against real people, in real courts, for real money and at the expense of the lawyer's humanity...and then spend his/her precious spare time arguing against internet keyboard jockeys for free.

What kind of sick monkey gets off on that? TELL ME

The kind who had all their cases pushed over to the next term and is going through adversarial withdrawal. But you're right re:debate threads...it's like playing chess with a chicken. Eventually it will just knock over all the pieces, poo poo on the board, and then fly back to the roost to cluck about its victory.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

patentmagus posted:

Actually, a she. She really stirred up the SCOTUS thread by trying to discuss legalities instead of parroting the prevailing political opinions over there. It begins about here:

Non lawyers discussing the law is like a kitten trying to figure out a tortoise.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

nm posted:

Non lawyers discussing the law is like a kitten trying to figure out a tortoise.

D'aawwwwwwwwwww... now I feel all warm and fuzzy.

Incidentally, a friend of mine and I were recently involved in a 24 hour play festival, in which she chose to write a "space opera" for her submission. Her conclusion was that anyone can write sci-fi if they just put the word "space" in front of random nouns. Actual Dialog: "Space Prom? Are you kidding? Isn't that just a lame bit of under the space suit, over the space bra action?" Your title text reminded me of that...good times.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 18, 2014

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I loving hate working on motions against pro sers because nothing they do is ever covered under statute or case law because God Damnit why did I work until 9pm on a Friday night for a pittance of a salary

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Man, I feel like the area of worker's comp is the land time forgot.

Attorneys will be like "you want to take this employee's depo? ... Eh, I don't feel like doing that right now and neither does my client. Look, we'll just put this case in a 3-5 year stasis until his Social Security benefits status changes and there won't be any offset issues." "... but it's my depo," I say. "It's cool, I'll just pay the bill for the court reporter's time, see you in 3 years." Most of them work for contingency fee, but they're all good, because about now, they're settling the cases from like 1999.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

MechaX posted:

Man, I feel like the area of worker's comp is the land time forgot.

Attorneys will be like "you want to take this employee's depo? ... Eh, I don't feel like doing that right now and neither does my client. Look, we'll just put this case in a 3-5 year stasis until his Social Security benefits status changes and there won't be any offset issues." "... but it's my depo," I say. "It's cool, I'll just pay the bill for the court reporter's time, see you in 3 years." Most of them work for contingency fee, but they're all good, because about now, they're settling the cases from like 1999.

I once did a cross in a worker's compensation hearing that went:

"Doc, how much are they paying you to testify for them?"

"$250 an hour."

"Wanna testify for me? I'll give you $300."

"That's inappropriate."

"Yeah, it probably is, but you'd do it."

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

ActusRhesus posted:

D'aawwwwwwwwwww... now I feel all warm and fuzzy.

Incidentally, a friend of mine and I were recently involved in a 24 hour play festival, in which she chose to write a "space opera" for her submission. Her conclusion was that anyone can write sci-fi if they just put the word "space" in front of random nouns. Actual Dialog: "Space Prom? Are you kidding? Isn't that just a lame bit of under the space suit, over the space bra action?" Your title text reminded me of that...good times.

Please tell me this is posted somewhere for me to read.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Unamuno posted:

play poker you nerds

play hearthstone you nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I'm enough of a nerd to read D&D too but where I draw the line is typing in complete sentences