Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
I'm sure people will come in to tune in to see the last episode but I really wonder what is the point? If I didn't watch the previous seasons I imagine I would be totally lost watching this. Nearly all the characters have been slowly fleshed out that I wonder someone just coming in would have any idea what is going on.

They NAILED young Eli though. Thinking of the previous confusion of Shea Whigham/Mark Borkowski, Paul Sagorsky is pretty much future Eli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Wirth1000 posted:

I can't loving believe Mickey Doyle has outlived all these people so far.

Mickey Doyle will not only outlive them all, in a time-skip he'll inexplicably become mayor of Atlantic City.

I really expected him to die in the first and second episode of the series.

Gonz posted:

Instead of an old timey song over the credits, it'll just be his "mehh ehhhe hhehheh hehehmeheheh" for 30 seconds.

Or it's the "mehh ehhhe hhehheh" over a black screen for 30 seconds, then the credits roll without music. But then right before the credits end his mehh-ing starts up again.

If I had editing software, time, patience, and focus, I'd edit together every skeevy laugh of his from the whole show.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

If everything else goes horribly to poo poo and everyone else ends up dead, I will still consider it a happy ending if Mickey Doyle lives.

Extra points if the show ends on either a "nyahahahah" or a flashforward to the present day, where an alive and well elderly Mickey Doyle says "...and that's why we called it... The Boardwalk Empire."

Or both. Actually just both.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

That DICK! posted:

If everything else goes horribly to poo poo and everyone else ends up dead, I will still consider it a happy ending if Mickey Doyle lives.

Extra points if the show ends on either a "nyahahahah" or a flashforward to the present day, where an alive and well elderly Mickey Doyle says "...and that's why we called it... The Boardwalk Empire."

Or both. Actually just both.

Ahh boy....I'm so sick of managing this Boardwalk Empire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiqPmsBYieA

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Why do I have this sinking feeling that Nucky finally feels remorseful enough and visits Gillian to get her out of there. Only to get to her after she's just been lobotomized(or something more awful).

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

MrSlam posted:

If I had editing software, time, patience, and focus, I'd edit together every skeevy laugh of his from the whole show.

Luckily enough, someone has done just that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsD3wi1MrBw

It's not every season, but still it's beautiful.

I also found this while looking for that and man, the season 1 ending montage is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n2B84wL0as

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Quixotic1 posted:

Why do I have this sinking feeling that Nucky finally feels remorseful enough and visits Gillian to get her out of there. Only to get to her after she's just been lobotomized(or something more awful).

Given her previous conversation with Dr. "I Like to cut things out of Women" this is entirely possible.

Also, I just remembered that while murdering Sebso was wrong, our man Nelson was 100% right about him killing the prisoner.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Quasipox posted:

Luckily enough, someone has done just that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsD3wi1MrBw

It's not every season, but still it's beautiful.

I also found this while looking for that and man, the season 1 ending montage is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n2B84wL0as
Man that makes me miss Eddie Cantor. Boardwalk Empire is apparently just one of those shows that had multiple better shows hiding inside of it that just never got the focus they deserved.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

NorgLyle posted:

Man that makes me miss Eddie Cantor.

I feel like I've definitely heard his voice on a few phonograph records and radios in the show this season.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

That reminded me of AR's insurance policy on Mickey, does Nucky still have that? That season one finale clip made me a bit sad about some of the great characters we've lost throughout. Looking forward to the final two episodes, this show has been too good at surprising me for me to accurately predict what's going to happen.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Corte posted:

That reminded me of AR's insurance policy on Mickey, does Nucky still have that? That season one finale clip made me a bit sad about some of the great characters we've lost throughout. Looking forward to the final two episodes, this show has been too good at surprising me for me to accurately predict what's going to happen.

Sometimes I think about rewatching the entire series before watching the next 2 episodes. How I wish I had the time to do that. It's that or rewatching the series after it ends.

You can't often say this, but this show's final season has been its absolute greatest. I think only Breaking Bad came as close to this as Boardwalk Empire.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Corte posted:

How much was that policy for? It'd be hilarious if Nucky is on his last financial ropes after losing the Bacardi money and Prohibition ending, then he gets a windfall because Mickey dies and he gets a big payout. And maybe Margaret throws him a cut of her new investments.

I imagine that Prohibition ending caused a lot of the gangsters to lose a ton of income during the Depression. In such a scenario, Nucky could be the last man standing, or at least well off enough that Luciano and the rest would have to leave him alone till they regrouped.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Astroman posted:

I imagine that Prohibition ending caused a lot of the gangsters to lose a ton of income during the Depression.

Depends on the gangster. A lot of them moved into drugs or running unions. Some like Lansky eventually headed to Vegas.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

The main character of this show died in season 2

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

The Duggler posted:

The main character of this show died in season 2
We miss you Jim Neary.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

NorgLyle posted:

We miss you Jim Neary.

This had me bouncing around google and youtube and I discovered: http://boardwalkempire.wikia.com/wiki/Boardwalk_Empire_Wiki

Apparently, a young Jim Neary appeared in the first episode of season five.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

PostNouveau posted:

I feel like this kid is either Tommy Dormandy or a Luciano agent, and he will end up killing Nucky or Margaret.

The series is going to end with this kid killing Nucky. The whole time the showrunners are trying to fake the audiences out into thinking its Tommy Darmody. Them, at the end, right before he pulls the trigger on Nucky, he says "My father was right all along. You need to be taken out. I'm getting revenge for you screwing him over."

Nucky looks at him, resigned. "So, you must be Tommy."

The kid looks at him, puzzled. "Who the hell is Tommy? No, you screwed my father out of a lucrative business deal, and I'm here for revenge...my name...is Jack Kennedy."

Gunshot, fade to black, end of series.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
That'd be great if it was Nucky who backed out of the deal instead of Joe Kennedy doing it while flirting with his (estranged) wife in front of him.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Shadow posted:

Sometimes I think about rewatching the entire series before watching the next 2 episodes. How I wish I had the time to do that. It's that or rewatching the series after it ends.

HBO Signature ran every season, front to back, for the five Saturdays leading up to this year's premiere. I didn't mean to, and I never watched an entire run, but every Saturday I definitely got sucked into sitting through at least 6 episodes. This is definitely a show that holds up to (And, in some ways, benefits from) marathon viewing.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I'm hoping that Eli gets a hero moment in one of these episodes. Like Nucky is about to get got then Eli busts through the wall riding a backhoe and dumps a bunch of booze onto Luciano and his crew, drunkenly slurring "let's get the hell out of here brother!"

bbf2 posted:

The series is going to end with this kid killing Nucky. The whole time the showrunners are trying to fake the audiences out into thinking its Tommy Darmody. Them, at the end, right before he pulls the trigger on Nucky, he says "My father was right all along. You need to be taken out. I'm getting revenge for you screwing him over."

The kid looks at him, puzzled. "Who the hell is Tommy? No, you screwed my father out of a lucrative business deal, and I'm here for revenge...my name...is Jack Kennedy."

And in turn, Teddie gets his revenge on a cold day in November. History rhymes, the clues are all there.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 19, 2014

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bbf2 posted:

This except he's Eddie Cantor's son.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The kid is actually JFK, working deep cover for Joe Kennedy's Goon Squad.

JFK will murder Nucky with Richard Harrow's sniper rifle from the window of an Atlantic City book depository.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I loved how even in his shipwreck of a state, Eli was clearheaded enough to blame Ness for the heist, and not the actual Fed who had just iced Van Alden.

mewse
May 2, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I loved how even in his shipwreck of a state, Eli was clearheaded enough to blame Ness for the heist, and not the actual Fed who had just iced Van Alden.

Well land ho.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
The kid is actually Chester Mueller. I don't know how he got older but this is what happens when he didn't say his prayers.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Eli's life just keeps getting shittier and shittier. This isn't going to end well.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I feel terrible for Eli because his life is circling the drain and it's completely out of his hands now.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

This dude playing Segal owns.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

This dude playing Segal owns.

Charlie and Segal yelling at each other was a nice bit of levity for this show.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

loving hell.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
Mickey NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Huh, I thought the Willie thing was going to go on longer than that.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

did he even get to giggle once more before he went? :(

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

That was the only death this season that has bugged me. Mickey is smart, doing that right then and there was dumb.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just noticed that Gillian in the asylum has the same haircut as homeless Gillian.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
What a depressing episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

That was the only death this season that has bugged me. Mickey is smart, doing that right then and there was dumb.

He probably thought that they were about to start shooting right then and there.

raindrop
Oct 11, 2014

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

It's not the first time he has spoken without thinking it through first, though. That's the problem with his thinking he was smart enough to talk his way out of anything.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
RIP Mehhahehehaheh mehheh hehahmehem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The Piper posted:

Mickey NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

God, just when it looked like he was going to make it. Sacrificed in the name of the Plot God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3aXo1NqHHg

• Locked thread