Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I hope they'll patch in the option from Grimrock 1 to attack using the left-click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
After playing the game for 12 hours or so on Hard, I'm sort of failing to see the benefit of a farmer. I went with Ratling because my brain was like "gently caress yeah Mutation + Levels", but he's kind of an underperformer. Even with the huge glut of food everywhere early on, you're still effectively coming from two levels behind any other class in both HP/MP and in skills and you don't have any class perks to lean on. Even shoveling all the spare food I can find into his fat face and running the rest of my party on starvation rations he's still only a couple levels ahead, which basically just means he's on par with everyone else except I had to go out of my way to do things for him.

It's a funny challenge class but I don't think it has merit over simply taking a battlemage for your jack of all trades position.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I kind of wish there was a difficulty level below easy. I'm getting my rear end kicked by any large monsters because I'm horrible at dancing around them, I just get all fumble-fingered in a stressful situation. This also makes a lot of time-based puzzles hard as hell to the point of frustration.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Is there any way to highlight or otherwise reveal items in view? I hope that I'm not being especially thick and haven't just missed a way to do so. I have a feeling I'm going to get very annoyed by pixel hunting for ammunition and thrown weapons. Especially since I keep kicking them instead of trying to pick them up.

I haven't played a game like this since I was a kid playing dungeon master 2. It's funny how I actually had a longer attention span at 10 than I do now at 30.

edit: Okay, so I am rather thick, simply walking over ammunition automatically picks it up. I'm still not particularly looking forward to more pixel hunting, though.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 19, 2014

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How I can complete the skyway in Ruins of Desarune? I just fall through it to lower level if it has missing pieces.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Ihmemies posted:

How I can complete the skyway in Ruins of Desarune? I just fall through it to lower level if it has missing pieces.

There's some sort of bug(?), that drops you, if you use rocks/ammunition for bridge building.
Individual items like spare swords and armour should work.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

seorin posted:

loving finally disabled the barrier under the water in the island area. Linked for complete spoiler on the answer: http://i.imgur.com/Usr47bG.jpg

Wow, that's a really nasty hidden button. Not only is it on the RIGHT side of the wall, while all buttons I've encountered so far has been on the left side, it is also on a wall with vines, another place i never saw a hidden button before.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

adhuin posted:

There's some sort of bug(?), that drops you, if you use rocks/ammunition for bridge building.
Individual items like spare swords and armour should work.

Great. I spent 30mins using rocks and getting nowhere! :v:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I absolutely need help with the light platforms room in Oruls crypt. Ive read through the thread, but these instructions dont help me, I need the path shown on an image or something, I always end up with one platform left.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Try starting one tile further to the right.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

BattleHamster posted:

Hint 1: It's button activated

Hint 2: Try looking down

Full disclosure: It's in the spike pit. looking into the pit from the ladder its on the wall of the column to your right. If you have a torch or the light spell you should be able to just barely see it

Spike Pit? Is that in the same sewer or elsewhere. Not sure if I've been there yet.

(EDIT) Okay that's the problem, if it's where I think it is, it's beyond the Reservoir access and I haven't found the key for that door yet. Oh, I missed it after beating the boss. Nm

Malek fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 19, 2014

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Broken Cog posted:

Try starting one tile further to the right.

Nope, managed to get rid of all of them but didnt get to the exit. gently caress this poo poo, I need a solution.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ok, I'm missing a gem in the ruin/sewer area. I think I got two from the lexicon and I got one from beating the boss of the sewer.

also is there really only letters in the archive? I can't find anything else but there should be something since it took a fair amount of effort to get in there

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

The solution for light platforms was on previous page in the linked post

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DrManiac posted:

Ok, I'm missing a gem in the ruin/sewer area. I think I got two from the lexicon and I got one from beating the boss of the sewer.

also is there really only letters in the archive? I can't find anything else but there should be something since it took a fair amount of effort to get in there

The letters are a clue to a later puzzle. Domt lose them.

Did you go to the resevoir? The area with mosquitos near the rat boss.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

The letters are a clue to a later puzzle. Domt lose them.

Did you go to the resevoir? The area with mosquitos near the rat boss.

I found it in that terrible house of needles place[/spoilers]

[spoiler] The hand cannon is the biggest tease. Because of the high fire arm requirements and the weight I though you would be able to reuse the cannonballs. My alchemist was finally able to put up some effort in combat :(

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I actually bought LoG1 the day it came out, then never played it until I was bored and went to boot it up last night: Discovered LoG2 was already released and there's even a thread for it. I'm just going to buy LoG2 but not play it right away. The day I load up LoG2, you'll all have LoG3.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
Pyramid Level 2 / Tomb of Rites question.

North Western section where there are 3x3 pits, 2 columns are closed but the middle column is open. How do I close that center column?

(Make that the middle column and the north west pit as well -- I see it corresponds to the light above but just can't find a way to get that open)

Disregard, need to play with things more.

Malek fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 19, 2014

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
What are peoples thoughts on Missile vs Throwing Weapons? Are they about equal?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

-Blackadder- posted:

What are peoples thoughts on Missile vs Throwing Weapons? Are they about equal?

Missile weapons are all dex, throwing weapons str. Throwing has the potential to be more damaging since you can dual wield them I'd say.

Quek
Aug 7, 2006
I seem to be having trouble figuring out how to get into the Archives

I have a scroll that seems to show directions but I have know idea what the symbols for E. and NA. mean. Any tips for figuring this out?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

FrickenMoron posted:

I absolutely need help with the light platforms room in Oruls crypt. Ive read through the thread, but these instructions dont help me, I need the path shown on an image or something, I always end up with one platform left.

Motherfucker posted:

I figured out that room. Spoilers if anyone else is stuck:

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Anyone who has finished the game: is there a power gem in the castle? I have the 4 elemental orbs, and 3 power gems, and I've even found the room for the balance orb. Just wanna know if it's in there or if I've overlooked something somewhere.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Thor The Almighty posted:

I seem to be having trouble figuring out how to get into the Archives

I have a scroll that seems to show directions but I have know idea what the symbols for E. and NA. mean. Any tips for figuring this out?

Hint: What's the difference between the two symbols?
Solution: they mean once, twice

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

RabidWeasel posted:

Wouldn't it make sense to make your farmer a ratling so he can get tons of extra stats from Mutation, or is the extra exp for Humans really good for them?

Assuming average mutation results and a level of almost 20 (not sure if that's possible), you're basically comparing ~10 accuracy, 25 hp, and 25 energy to 2-3 skill points. I'm a lot more concerned about getting enough skill points than I am the extra stats. Ratling wouldn't be a bad choice, though. I also just wanted to see what kind of ridiculous extreme I could get a farmer to by pushing as much exp at it as possible. :v:

Valle posted:

Anyone who has finished the game: is there a power gem in the castle? I have the 4 elemental orbs, and 3 power gems, and I've even found the room for the balance orb. Just wanna know if it's in there or if I've overlooked something somewhere.

Yes. You get one from the boss in there.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think I'm gonna start this on hard and ironman because I'm a masochist. I'm sure it will be reload city since it's my first run through, but ah well

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Print out the included graph paper and start it with oldschool :getin:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
More stupid questions.
How do I get into the drat Pyramid? I tried several things. I have the serpent staff, which seems like it would be connected, but I cant figure out a way to open the door.
Figured it out, that was dumb indeed.

Also I'm at 3/4power gems for the central sleet island area. I grabbed the 2 from the crypt dungeon and 1 from the crypt itself. I already have the air/fire/earth essences. What am I missing? Theres nothing in the vault near the center shrine right?

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 19, 2014

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I found the pie! :buddy:

Man, a cache of food was exactly what I needed too. I spend so long being bad about puzzles that I keep running low.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Morholt posted:

Print out the included graph paper and start it with oldschool :getin:

I'm hardcore but not quite that hardcore :p. I think I've given myself enough challenge for my first try here. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get rolled.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Malek posted:

Spike Pit? Is that in the same sewer or elsewhere. Not sure if I've been there yet.

(EDIT) Okay that's the problem, if it's where I think it is, it's beyond the Reservoir access and I haven't found the key for that door yet. Oh, I missed it after beating the boss. Nm

Ah sorry, by shard I thought you meant crystal shard of protection which you can see once you're in the reservoir section with the power gem.

FrickenMoron posted:

Also I'm at 3/4power gems for the central sleet island area. I grabbed the 2 from the crypt dungeon and 1 from the crypt itself. I already have the air/fire/earth essences. What am I missing? Theres nothing in the vault near the center shrine right?

Power gems aren't tied to any specific area so dont assume that there are are always going to be 4 in a dungeon. Try exploring more in other areas. As for the vault near the shrine, it just contains items.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 19, 2014

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

seorin posted:

Assuming average mutation results and a level of almost 20 (not sure if that's possible), you're basically comparing ~10 accuracy, 25 hp, and 25 energy to 2-3 skill points. I'm a lot more concerned about getting enough skill points than I am the extra stats. Ratling wouldn't be a bad choice, though. I also just wanted to see what kind of ridiculous extreme I could get a farmer to by pushing as much exp at it as possible. :v:

Are you going to farm herder's den?

I'm pretty sure you could achieve some insane level by spending a couple hours there.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Are there respawing creatures anywhere in the first few areas? In the ruins and hitting a wall of difficulty (spiders) and want to level up, but can't find creatures to kill

Two of my guys are level 6, two need 1000k more to level up to 6

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 19, 2014

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I feel as though firearm damage should be jacked way up and the ammo per box should be cut in half. If alchemy wasn't awesome one of my dudes would be pretty gimped.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm hardcore but not quite that hardcore :p. I think I've given myself enough challenge for my first try here. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get rolled.
there's no achievement for ironman unless you turn on single use crystals too!!!!

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Holy poo poo, that barren desert :stonklol: I don't think I'm good enough at combat for that. Do those mummies spawn infinitely or was I actually whittling them down? It seemed like a great place to farm exp if nothing else

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

CuwiKhons posted:

Holy poo poo, that barren desert :stonklol: I don't think I'm good enough at combat for that. Do those mummies spawn infinitely or was I actually whittling them down? It seemed like a great place to farm exp if nothing else

There's a finite number of them, gained a couple of levels from killing everything there, so worth doing. I think you have to kill at least one of the big stone bastards as well.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Rascyc posted:

there's no achievement for ironman unless you turn on single use crystals too!!!!

Oh I dunno I'm gonna need those crystals with how much I'm likely to be dying. Don't tempt me!

e: gently caress it you convinced me. Im gonna try it (and probably really regret it). I'm not turning off maps though, I'm too lazy to draw them

ee: actually I honestly don't have the balls to try all of those things my first run through :o. I'm just gonna try it on hard but with no other options enabled and see at least how that goes first.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 19, 2014

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
In the castle finally but stuck on ... I think the 3rd level. Biggest thing I'm wanting to do though is fine the last 2 power gems. No idea where they might be either as I think I cleaned out just about every dungeon to my knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Another obtuse puzzle standing in my way, hint please:

In the western Catacombs: there's a room you teleport into that has a 3x3 platform with trapdoors on all sides - there's a key(?) and a closed door opposite it. All but one of the trapdoors are open. When I first entered the room I took a look around and somehow triggered a change in which trapdoor was shut. But I have no clue what I did or how to replicate it to get at the key/door.

• Locked thread