Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Yeah, unpopular opinion, but Gen V is my favorite gen as well. I know goons deride the story for being "too anime" or whatever arbitrary standard and others for the lack of any old pokemon, but those two things made it one of a kind and had a significant enough post-game to satisfy. B/W2 gets by on sheer volume of content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I've liked all the games so far, maybe I was still young enough that D/P didn't bother me, because I played that game so much, same for Platinum and Hg/Ss and... etc, etc.

I'm afraid this game series might outlive me and I won't be able to play Gen XXX 80 years from now.

Tonlim
Jan 4, 2014
Platinum didn't bother me all that much, but the slow gameplay of gen IV coupled with the low rate of levelling made me hate HGSS, no matter the nostalgia and overrated gimmick of having pokémon follow you. Didn't notice as much when I was playing, but going back after the drastic speed improvements in gen V... :suicide:

BW2, despite its many faults, at least had the World Tournament, which made the postgame kind of fun to me for the first time since crystal.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I never finished the first encounter with the Elite 4 in Heart Gold because my duders were way underlevelled and there was literally no decent place to level in the game at that point.

I wish Vs. Seeker was still a thing.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:
I also share the unpopular opinion of liking Gen 5. I think they did a really good job- or at least a way better one than previous generations- characterizing the gym leaders and building them up to be formidable opponents. Before B/W, all you hear about gym leaders is stuff like "Yeah Lt. Surge is a badass also he uses electric-types", whereas in gen5 you get to interact with the gym leaders a bunch before you fight them, and that makes it feel more like "This is a cool dude with cool pokemon, if you beat him you will be as cool as he is". Other gens give the impression that this is just some rear end in a top hat you have to beat to get a badge.

Which is why I couldn't help but be a little disappointed with X/Y, because they didn't do that at all. I think there's a total of 2 gym leaders you interact meaningfully outside of the gym-Korrina with her traitor lucario and Wulfric who's a cool guy. There could have been a lot more character moments- Why couldn't Viola be the photographer instead of some random rear end in a top hat? When you roll into the bike city, the rock gym leader's all like "You missed the race, I won". That's stupid! Why not have us participate in the race, and then make the rock guy loving wreck house at bike racing? Then he can go "Well, see if you can beat me at pokemon, nerd" and then you'd really want to wreck his poo poo!

It also doesn't help that none of the gym leaders in X/Y are at all difficult to beat. The only one i had trouble with was fairy lady since I never thought to keep poison or steel-type attacks on my pokemon.

MR. J posted:

I never finished the first encounter with the Elite 4 in Heart Gold because my duders were way underlevelled and there was literally no decent place to level in the game at that point.

I wish Vs. Seeker was still a thing.

This is why you collect phone numbers. The rematches are the best way to get XP at that point.

Yes, I know nobody likes getting constant loving phone calls about Joey's dumbass rattata, but it's either that or suffer through grinding Gravelers for hours. Like I did.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tonlim posted:

BW2, despite its many faults, at least had the World Tournament, which made the postgame kind of fun to me for the first time since crystal.
BW2 is probably my favorite Pokemon game, once I take off the nostalgia goggles. Though I think ORAS might end up taking that spot, depending on how it comes out.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Poison Mushroom posted:

BW2 is probably my favorite Pokemon game, once I take off the nostalgia goggles. Though I think ORAS might end up taking that spot, depending on how it comes out.

Gen 3 was genuinely a great generation.
Great pacing, great pokemon placement, and a nice amount of challenge (for a pokemon game).

Though I would like hard mode to return, XY's exp share made things a mite easy and brainless. You only felt it when your entire team shares a weakness and lacks good type coverage.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Turning off the Exp. Share made XY one of the hardest Pokemon games, my team was severely underleveled the entire team. Going through Victory Road was tough, since my repels no longer worked, I was too low in level for them to be useful!

One thing I like about BW2 (aside from most things), is due to the sheer amount of postgame things, your team can reach the 80s, easily. It's great.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Gen 3 was genuinely a great generation.
Great pacing, great pokemon placement, and a nice amount of challenge (for a pokemon game).

Though I would like hard mode to return, XY's exp share made things a mite easy and brainless. You only felt it when your entire team shares a weakness and lacks good type coverage.

On the other hand, turn off the EXP Share like I did and you'll find yourself underlevelled the entire game, which makes for a really fun experience.

The point of the XY level curve is that you'd be constantly switching off Pokemon while using the EXP Share, but...instead I got my six and just decided to play underlevelled, extra challenge in an easy game is never a bad thing. I also Nuzlocked that way, it was a lot of fun too.

I mean, apart from the 18 dead Pokemon, that wasn't quite as fun. Or the time I lost four Pokemon in one battle. Throh are terrifying.

But yeah, I agree full-heartedly, Gen 3 was really good. Emerald was my favourite game before BW, and it's still my second favourite. I'm really hoping ORAS just dethrones both, and I actually trust it'll be the case because it's looking great.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Black and White are my favorite Pokemon games, and I say this as a girl who's more or less stuck through the series since my first Red game, back when I was 8.

BW2 was more fun for its postgame content and some added backstory to the Gym Leaders, but BW1 felt... "fresher" to me.

Though I also can honestly say I don't hate or even really dislike a single main series game, so take that opinion as you will. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

StrifeHira posted:

I also can honestly say I don't hate or even really dislike a single main series game
Wait, changing my answer on my favorite to Pokemon Colosseum. :smugbert:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
The only gen I can't stand to ever go back to, even as a remake, is Gen II. Johto has so many piss weak pokemon with such a terrible level pacing that it's painfully dull to return.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

B/W completely returned my love for the franchise, and to this day they're my favourite games (surpassing Emerald, though ORAS might change that entirely). Adding an actual story and characterization helped a lot, plus forcing everyone out of their safe zones and having them use completely new Pokemon was actually a good idea. B2W2...were a step in the wrong direction, returning to the simplistic (see: non-existant) story of earlier games, adding a stupid and unlikable rival, lowering the amount of screentime Gym Leaders got, etc., though the Pokedex was the best to that point so that gave it points, if not enough (worse than Emerald for sure).

I agree with most of this, but I don't think one of B2W2's problems was that its story was non-existent. In fact, I think it suffered because its story was kind of crazy and given too much screen time, X and Y had this problem as well. The greater focus on characterization was definitely appreciated, but I don't know if the games really benefited from the increased focus on story. I honestly don't know why I didn't mind the story in Black and White though, maybe just because it wasn't as nuts as the story's of later games (I mean it does have the villain's castle rise up from underneath the earth in order to provide the arena for a dramatic final battle, but still less nuts).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Not as Crazy as knowingly and voluntarily going full Hitler on the world?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Wait, changing my answer on my favorite to Pokemon Colosseum. :smugbert:

Colosseum and XD had a really cool concept and I'd love to see another one with newer mechanics and more polishing, but I doubt it'll happen. I'd also take a main series game focusing on double battles, which seems even less likely.

My personal favorite generations are 3 and 5, which feels like an unpopular opinion to me but judging by a lot of the posts here clearly isn't.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Not as Crazy as knowingly and voluntarily going full Hitler on the world?

Hey, B2 and W2 have Ghetsis in them as well as an airship that can freeze entire cities, and pokemon fusion. X and Y has the main villain try and literally kill all humans and ends with the protagonist and his friends becoming immortal. Those games got pretty drat crazy. :colbert:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah I was referring to the latter.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

X and Y has the main villain try and literally kill all humans and ends with the protagonist and his friends becoming immortal.
I was under the impression that events only played out that way in X. Or at least I was told that, in Y, the device was converted from a resurrection machine powered by orphan souls into a weapon of mass destruction, so the protagonist and friends were exposed to dangerous radiation in that game.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
We are so close to the stupid story of B2 happening please do not snatch this from me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Chorocojo posted:

We are so close to the stupid story of B2 happening please do not snatch this from me.
:allears: So close to the actual story happening.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Add me to the list of people that had their interest in the franchise almost killed by D/P. Seems to be the same way with most of my friends too. They were bad games that had ridiculous problems Gamefreak should've foreseen (yes, don't have any Fire Pokemon in the dex other than an useless family and the starter, that's a good idea! Keep a bunch of the new Pokemon post-game, why not? Backtrack constantly, everyone will enjoy that! Oh, and let's not forget the terrain that stops you from moving entirely or heavily slows you down, that's truly the masterpiece of game design!).

On top of that, they had a FIRE TYPE Elite Four. With...Infernape, Lopunny, Steelix, Rapidash, and...Drifblim?
I mean that had to have come up at some point, right?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Silegna posted:

On top of that, they had a FIRE TYPE Elite Four. With...Infernape, Lopunny, Steelix, Rapidash, and...Drifblim?

The Drifblim is the Hindenberg. I thought it was obvious.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Pyroi posted:

The Drifblim is the Hindenberg. I thought it was obvious.

And the rabbit? :colbert:

e: I just realized I never finished Platinum. I got up to, but not through Victory road, I think. The only Pokemon games I've even beaten have been Blue and Black 2.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 20, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silegna posted:

I know it wasn't entirely intentional, but I wish more gym leaders and elite four guys weren't completely married to their particular type. They make for more interesting fights. I thought that Volkner and Flint were great battles because pulling out something like an Octillery was totally unexpected. It wasn't even the first time they've done that. Karen had only two actual dark types, though at least the rest of her team is more obviously thematically aligned.

VVV Please do not actually play Black and Blue though.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 20, 2014

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dareon posted:

e: I just realized I never finished Platinum. I got up to, but not through Victory road, I think. The only Pokemon games I've even beaten have been Blue and Black 2.

If only you'd done Black 1 instead, so you could say you'd beaten Black and Blue.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Dareon posted:

The rabbit is pretty hot is what its designer wanted you to think

Strange Quark posted:

I know it wasn't entirely intentional, but I wish more gym leaders and elite four guys weren't completely married to their particular type. They make for more interesting fights. I thought that Volkner and Flint were great battles because pulling out something like an Octillery was totally unexpected. It wasn't even the first time they've done that. Karen had only two actual dark types, though at least the rest of her team is more obviously thematically aligned.

I also really liked this whenever it showed up. It makes battles a little more interesting.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Screw you guys, Sinnoh was great. Though it's tough to go back to, simply because of the slower animation and text speeds and the long-overdue quality of life features introduced from BW1 onwards. The world map felt so much more organic and intricate than Unova's giant donut that you were locked out of half of until the end.

edit: tracking the wandering legendaries was kind of a bitch though

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
I dunno, I liked Pokemon Platinum. My biggest problem was the time it took to save, but other then that it was a pretty good game overall IMO.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Gen IV was where HM bloat reaced its shittiest levels and traversing the region itself became a drat chore.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Gen IV was where HM bloat reaced its shittiest levels and traversing the region itself became a drat chore.

This is true. In Platinum, to get to later towns, you had to head through MT.Coronet, and have 1. Rock Smash. 2. Strength. 3. Surf. 4. Rock Climp.
That's a whole team member crippled.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

No no no, you spread the HMs around your team, so you spend most of the game with around 3 moveslots. And really, it's the main game, you can get by on around two or three.

Surf, Strength, Rock Climb and Waterfall are fine moves on their own, so only half the HMs are bad. Just a shame those last four are really, really poo poo.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Crosspeice posted:

Surf, Strength, Rock Climb and Waterfall are fine moves on their own, so only half the HMs are bad. Just a shame those last four are really, really poo poo.

Really, Fly is at least tolerable in the main game. It's stronger than Strength (by a whopping 10 power, but still) and the CPU doesn't ever punish you for using multi-turn moves so it's not as ludicrously awful. Same goes for Dive in the games where it's a HM.

I can't defend Cut, Flash, or Whirlpool, though. And we don't talk about that other one.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

KataraniSword posted:

And we don't talk about that other one.

The one that was actively detrimental to you for using it, when it initially came out, outside of the single weather effect it was made for? Cause they've fixed that, last I heard. Now it just sucks rather than being actively counterproductive. :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Raitzeno posted:

The one that was actively detrimental to you for using it, when it initially came out, outside of the single weather effect it was made for? Cause they've fixed that, last I heard. Now it just sucks rather than being actively counterproductive. :v:

Actually I'm pretty sure it gets rid of stage hazards now

E: like it's actually so useful that it sucks that it's not at least an HM anymore

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Raserys posted:

Yeah, unpopular opinion, but Gen V is my favorite gen as well. I know goons deride the story for being "too anime" or whatever arbitrary standard and others for the lack of any old pokemon, but those two things made it one of a kind and had a significant enough post-game to satisfy. B/W2 gets by on sheer volume of content.

The story isn't really why I don't like Gen5. I really can't explain it, there's a few Pokemon here and there that I like in Gen5, the story of BW1 is at least somewhat interesting given how we've been playing the rest of the series. It just really felt like Gen5 was a step in absolutely no direction. Like, since Gen1 each gen has added something, but it just felt like Gen5 didn't really add anything to the experience except a few new moves and a few new Pokemon. I mean, I'm glad X/Y felt fresh enough to get my attention and bring me back into the series, although if they hadn't I'm sure ORAS would have anyway. I'm a sucker for remakes.

I think nostalgia was the main reason Silver used to be my favorite Pokemon game, and nostalgia is probably also the reason it was only recently dethroned by SoulSilver, but hey to each their own, SoulSilver is greatness.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Infinite use TMs and sped up battles sounds like a pretty good pair of improvements to me

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Pureauthor posted:

Infinite use TMs and sped up battles sounds like a pretty good pair of improvements to me

Gen V seemed like it came at Pokemon from the direction of trying to re-evaluate and rebuild it; after so many additive sequels the series got kind of bloated, and I always felt like Gen IV suffered for that more than anything. With Gen V they approached it from a position where they asked why things were the way they were, and changed things that only continued because of legacy reasons. It was something of an attempt to reconstruct the series, and I liked that. I think every additive series should have one of those every so often, just to keep it in check.

Smash 4 is very similar in that regard; a lot of minor yet critical changes in approach and execution, because they asked 'why?' instead of just steaming ahead.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
And yet we still have to pay with rare almost non-renewable items in order to relearn a move a Pokemon knew 20 levels ago.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

MR. J posted:

And yet we still have to pay with rare almost non-renewable items in order to relearn a move a Pokemon knew 20 levels ago.

Heart scales are kinda trivial to get, especially if you wonder trade a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Blhue posted:

Heart scales are kinda trivial to get, especially if you wonder trade a lot.

That, or just take use Thief on a bunch of luvdisc, as the heart scale is 50/50.

• Locked thread