Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

Dominic White posted:

I'd love to see a tool-assisted run of the game sometime. Being able to manipulate luck would result in the most hilariously bullshit win for XCom, I'm sure.

I imagine some kind of Peter Molydeux esque thought experiment game where the Shoot action is replaced with choosing either "HIT" or "MISS". The player starts out hitting every single shot but slowly begins to feel remorse for the endless alien murder and starts missing shots to give them a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Antti posted:

This is why they give you a rocket punching man-tank!

Which I just built, my first one. Put the Chinese Heavy you get from Slingshot inside and proceeded to punch a Floater in the face. :allears:

Sadly, also got the Gene Lab, which means "Meld! I must have more Meld!"

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Beagle posted:

I imagine some kind of Peter Molydeux esque thought experiment game where the Shoot action is replaced with choosing either "HIT" or "MISS". The player starts out hitting every single shot but slowly begins to feel remorse for the endless alien murder and starts missing shots to give them a chance.

Peter Molyneux never had that deep thought system in any of his games, since literally all of the choices are less meaningfull than HIT and MISS.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Michaellaneous posted:

Peter Molyneux never had that deep thought system in any of his games, since literally all of the choices are less meaningfull than HIT and MISS.

Which is why he said Peter Molydeux, presumably his Jungian Shadow given unholy life on Twitter.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I started playing this in the last few days after a long hiatus. Taking 6 assaults on a mission with alloy cannons and ghost armor is as fun as I remember it. :getin:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Hey Beagle, do Twitch subscribers get added to your naming pool? Just curious.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The more I'm reading about The Long War, the more I'm wondering if I should just play through regular Enemy Within once to get a real feel for the game, like some people have mentioned. I'm a couple of hours into my first game now, and like people are saying; this thing is big.

I never beat the game when it was first released, but even though I have a quite a bit of playtime, I'm realizing that there's so much stuff about TLW that's just frustratingly hard. The challenge is great, you know, but I'm wondering if a committed Ironman run of vanilla will lessen the chance that I burn myself out trying to figure this mod out.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 20, 2014

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Black Griffon posted:

The more I'm reading about The Long War, the more I'm wondering if I should just play through regular Enemy Within once to get a real feel for the game, like some people have mentioned. I'm a couple of hours into my first game now, and like people are saying; this thing is big.

I would suggest you play through EW first. You may never actually finish a game of Long War (I haven't).

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Dominic White posted:

Which is why he said Peter Molydeux, presumably his Jungian Shadow given unholy life on Twitter.

The two have interacted. Supposedly it helped the real one get his groove back.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

tithin posted:

The name list is the ShackTac member list, but contributing to their Patreon gets you added to the nickname list.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

tithin posted:

As a related question is your donation scheme so weird? I wanted to donate a limp am after the Thursday stream (it's a weekly highlight for me) but you seem to only have an option to sign up as a monthly sub on your site. Shits weird.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
Beta 14

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Well, so much for me getting any sleep tonight.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Yeah, really, sunday night? In any case, time to crack open Brutal finally.

Edit: I checked the perk trees and they really shook things up a bit. Use the b14 dev console file on the downloads page and have a game where you input 'levelupbarracks 8' so you can see how things look before you set your early perk choices in stone. Things are so nuts, Ranger might actually be a very viable option in some cases!

Edit2: Oh god they gave the Officer discount of Asia to Europe. I do not want to crunch the numbers here.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 20, 2014

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dun dun duuuu. There any time awake I have this week :D wonder how far along I can he before Beyond Earth hits.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Did the new voices make it in?

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Oh praise Jesus and pass the ammunition! I was getting so desperate I was nearly about to go outside.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

AirborneNinja posted:

Did the new voices make it in?

They only just found out that new voices are even a possibility last week. We likely won't see any of that until B15.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Moddington posted:

The name list is the ShackTac member list, but contributing to their Patreon gets you added to the nickname list.

D'aw, guess I'll unsub from Twitch and resub via Patreon :3:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Just FYI:

quote:

Known new bugs:
Covert Extraction doesn't properly award Exalt Intelligence.

A fix will apparently be out soon.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Welp time to restart my campaign.

Every time I get my first Firestorm! :argh:

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Started up a new campaign on ironman/brutal. This is the first mission, literally the first time I've seen any aliens.

:stare:

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

Demiurge4 posted:

As a related question is your donation scheme so weird? I wanted to donate a limp am after the Thursday stream (it's a weekly highlight for me) but you seem to only have an option to sign up as a monthly sub on your site. Shits weird.

I was originally going to do something like everybody else on Twitch where you have a big "PAY ME" PayPal donate button but looking into PayPal's TOS, they state really clearly that donate buttons that aren't used by non-profit charities are a no-no. Everybody big on Twitch still does it so I assume they don't actually give a poo poo, but with how PayPal likes to gently caress people over on a whim, I figured no need to give them the opportunity.

Unfortunately I suppose it means I'll never be spontaneously given tens of thousands of dollars of sweet, sweet oil money but the option is there for people to donate once and then cancel, it's just less convenient/apparent so they kinda go "ah poo poo, nevermind, I'll buy a sandwhich instead." If there was a service that wasn't PayPal that was geared up for one-times, I'd probably stick that on as people do keep asking.

MrBims posted:

Things are so nuts, Ranger might actually be a very viable option in some cases!

Edit2: Oh god they gave the Officer discount of Asia to Europe. I do not want to crunch the numbers here.

NAHHHHHHH. Ranger still not good in any tree I think. Officer discount to Europe hurts a lot in both my in-progress Asia campaigns, and also any future ones. I like that Europe is getting better because who doesn't want to start Europe and get cheap-rear end Labs and Workshops, but I hate that Asia is now just 50% worse overall with nothing given back in return. Like, the bonus its had since EU2012 was launched has just been slashed in half for no reason other than "this is in preperation for future changes". Why not wait until those future changes are actually ready dot dot dot?

I suppose the cool strat now will be either an Asian start expanding USA then Europe, or a European start expanding USA then Asia. USA is not negotiable due to its bonus being crucial to actually expanding at all without running out of money, but having to spend 3 sats instead of 4 to expand makes starting there kind of lovely. With the Workshop/Lab bonus on top, Europe is probably the smarter start to get a quick boost in research and production and having early officer discounts, then expanding to Asia before the mid-game where lots of important foundry projects show up.

More than anything though I'm just excited to play the maps with the new spawn points. The changelog is so big for B14 that I have a hard time remembering the highlights other than knowing all the maps are going to feel fresh and new again. After having played for so long, that's really special to me.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Anyone know the best way to clear Beta 13 off your computer? Verify on steam?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

Anyone know the best way to clear Beta 13 off your computer? Verify on steam?

That'd work, I guess, but you should be able to just overwrite it directly.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Alright, this is the day I've been waiting for. Time to stop watching LW and actually play it.

I'm frightened :smith:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Alikchi posted:

Alright, this is the day I've been waiting for. Time to stop watching LW and actually play it.

I'm frightened :smith:

Shh, shh. It'll be alright, just don't go after that supply ship that lands in the early months. Also remember that it's ok to bail!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

If you've watched streams and start on Normal you'll be fine! Probably.

What a time to have to go to work though.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Asia's bonus had to be nerfed, it was absurdly good. Now admittedly, defending Asia sucks balls in the air game since its so big and spread out, but that was the only downside and the savings you got over the course of the game were ridiculous. Europe sucks almost as bad for the air game and has 4 countries as well, but its bonus is garbage in comparison. I'm in December on my Impossible LW game and I've built 2 labs and 2 Workshops, with the Europe bonus, I would have gotten a savings of $400... (and $60 per month, but still). The OTS discounts are $760 over the course of the game, better, but plenty to improve on. For reference, there's well over $5000 worth of foundry projects, so Asia can easily save you over $2000 over the game. Obviously the Workshops/Labs aren't just dead weight and are helping you considerably once they're built, but the diminishing returns they suffer are pretty nasty, I think this balancing is pretty welcome.

Edit: These new perk trees really are something, you can make a medic who is nearly as good at overwatching as an overwatch infantry (the medic gives up just 3 aim, but receives +1 damage and +1 mobility in recompense. Obviously you lose out on Light 'em Up and you can't take LnL, but you gain the extra medkits and have the choice of VPT, Sprinter, or Ready for Anything(which sorta makes up for Light 'em Up). You can also give up 3 more aim and supression to take Field Surgeon. Seems like you could make a really neat babysitter out of a medic for when you need to rank up low level troops.

You can also make a really interesting scout-sniper out of a Scout plus Marksman Rifle that runs around looking for big flanks. 93 base aim and 85% crit chance on flanked targets and you get 2 shots with Hit n Run (plus you can self buff your second shot with holo targeting).

Only huge loss I noticed is that its going to be much harder for me to fit in smoke grenades now since my medics have like 3 'specs' now, hardcore healer, overwatch machine, or support grenadier.

AtillatheBum fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 20, 2014

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
While walking around yesterday I saw a beagle dog and I started humming the XCOM theme. It's now a Pavlovian reflex :(

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Picked this up cause it was on sale and started a game on normal. Put my home base in Europe which doesn't seem to be advised by anyone here. My build order also looks bad cause I haven't been building too many sattelites, 2 months in with just 2 of them (though I'll have a third soon). On the bright side my team seems kind of stacked for being 2 months and change in, just ran into my first mission with mutons and my team is:

2x sniper, each has a plasma pistol but only one has the laser sniper, scopes
1x heavy with his laser cannon thing, carapace
2x assault, laser shotgun and laser pistols, one has an arc thrower the other has carapace
1x support, laser assault and pistol, grenade (mainly for blowing up cover)

Plot wise I've captured a couple sectoids, a jetpack dude, and one of the energy things on ships. I've researched the alien base but I only have 14 engineers so I can't build the key yet.

It's kind of hard to tell whether you're doing good or bad though, basically I'm all green in like europe/asia/africa and north america, but south america is mostly at 3 and 4/5, I figure I'll be launching my next sattelites there to calm em down a bit but my general impression is poo poo can hit the fan pretty fast in these games.

For the most part I don't really know what I'm doing in terms of base or research progression (I did a lot of laser research cause I captured a sectoid so early), I've upgraded like nothing on my interceptors for example and don't know if that will bite me in the rear end soon or not. Combat seems pretty easy so far, I lost a rookie to a random crit through full cover but beyond that once everyone had enough life to survive a stray wound nothing has posed a problem.

How many months is it supposed to take to get through the plot? Like is my pace reasonable or is it going to flip to month 3/4 and I'll just get my poo poo pushed in? I've never played x-com games before though I did watch the start of a LP like half a year ago).

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 20, 2014

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
You seem to have done well by doing Beam weapons and Satellites first. You should maybe start working on the MECs because those are awesome and vastly increase your tactical possibilities.

Don't build too many satellites as that can make you starved for cash sometimes.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Furism posted:

You seem to have done well by doing Beam weapons and Satellites first. You should maybe start working on the MECs because those are awesome and vastly increase your tactical possibilities.

Don't build too many satellites as that can make you starved for cash sometimes.
I haven't really been doing satellites haha, took me forever to start building my third one which I think was a mistake. Sounds like a lot of people have 3 by end of month 1. I mainly prioritized plot objectives and weapons/armor.

Haven't heard anything about MEC related upgrades yet, if that's expansion content I'm just playing the original stuff.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

ArbitraryC posted:

I haven't really been doing satellites haha, took me forever to start building my third one which I think was a mistake. Sounds like a lot of people have 3 by end of month 1. I mainly prioritized plot objectives and weapons/armor.

Haven't heard anything about MEC related upgrades yet, if that's expansion content I'm just playing the original stuff.

There is general guideline to getting sats up quickly (take engineers on first abduction mission, build a workshop, then sat uplink), but it's really only needed on the harder difficulties, plus it relies on the RNG giving you your first abduction mission within the first 5 days. It's pretty hard to fuckup base building on Normal. That being said, don't be afraid to sell poo poo when you need cash. You aren't going to get to researching alien power modules & flight computers until AT LEAST month 2, so the first 2 or 3 downed ships you take can have all their loot sold without much worry.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention, a lot of newbies don't realize they can build sats without the uplink capacity (you just can't launch them). Sats take 20 days to complete, the uplink 14(?). Get sats going ASAP, then start the uplink when you have the means.

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 20, 2014

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley
Sure am glad psi are poo poo now, really got in the way of my grenade cricket games. :suicide:

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Voluspa posted:

Sure am glad psi are poo poo Mind Shield and Aurora Armor are actually worth building now, really got in the way of my grenade cricket games. :suicide:

FTFY.

Seriously, early Psi in Beta 13 made the game easy mode even on Impossible by the time you had troops in Psi for like 3 months. Taking 2 Psi Panic capable units into every battle trivialized every mission, and you never really needed to enhance their abilities beyond that until the end game. The only thing to be said for Psi in Beta 13 is that it wasn't quite as OP as Flamethrowers.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

amanasleep posted:

Taking 2 Psi Panic capable units into every battle trivialized every mission,

I wouldn't go quite that far. There were already plenty of units that either ignored psi entirely (melee units, mech units aside from Mechtoid), had really high will, or tended to blow up in your face (panicking a flying heavy floater for instance just tends to get your psi trooper shot in the head). Psi panic was already useful but situational, limited to firefights with mechtoids, grounded floaters and mutons. And it sounds like we can now cross mutons off that list.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Fargo Fukes posted:

I wouldn't go quite that far. There were already plenty of units that either ignored psi entirely (melee units, mech units aside from Mechtoid), had really high will, or tended to blow up in your face (panicking a flying heavy floater for instance just tends to get your psi trooper shot in the head). Psi panic was already useful but situational, limited to firefights with mechtoids, grounded floaters and mutons. And it sounds like we can now cross mutons off that list.

Gonna have to figure out a new way to handle 7-packs of muton elites!

I just noticed Disabling Shot is up against Snap Shot and Precision Shot now :(

Deuce fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 20, 2014

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Someone in the thread said there was a setting in the GameCoreini to modify fatigue times from genemods right? I'm not just imagining that?

I've scanned the whole thing like five times and can't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Fargo Fukes posted:

You're right, I'm exaggerating a bit. Still, the major change from B13 to B14 seems to be that you need a Psi Inspiration prior to using Psi Panic on MEs now. So one additional soldier action, which can be taken 1-2 turns prior to contact.

• Locked thread