Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Cuntpunch posted:

Another obtuse puzzle standing in my way, hint please:
Hint: when you drop down the trapdoors to the level below, you can hear a sound. What is it?
Note how the trapdoors are roughly in a circle?

More hint: It's not something that you are doing that causes the trapdoors to move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

CuwiKhons posted:

Holy poo poo, that barren desert :stonklol: I don't think I'm good enough at combat for that. Do those mummies spawn infinitely or was I actually whittling them down? It seemed like a great place to farm exp if nothing else

The mummies do respawn, but not very quickly. I went back much later after finding a clue to a burried chest and there were about five groups respawned.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

Oh I dunno I'm gonna need those crystals with how much I'm likely to be dying. Don't tempt me!

e: gently caress it you convinced me. Im gonna try it (and probably really regret it). I'm not turning off maps though, I'm too lazy to draw them

ee: actually I honestly don't have the balls to try all of those things my first run through :o. I'm just gonna try it on hard but with no other options enabled and see at least how that goes first.

Hard is such an rear end in a top hat of a difficulty.

Ironman by itself is honestly not a big deal at all. I've quicksaved in this run to save time and game the system a bit, but really it's not a big difference compared to what I saw with an ironman run (which I quit about a third into the game). On normal the game is easy enough. On hard the game is a bitch, but where you save isn't the biggest problem. The tough areas are invariably really close to save points. Hard + ironman + one shot crystals would require an insanely optimized party and a planned equipment route I think. Or a lot of time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Side question on the Throwing Vs Missiles debate. Do enchant arrow spells even exist in the sequel? Because that's the tipping point factor for me of "This sounds worth trying" and "Why would I want to give up my free hand on rear throw/melee guy to carry torches. Wizard's gotta be dual wielding staffs for maximum wizard"

Otherwise, all the little conveniences tradeoffs do not seem worth it. For needing both hands and also hoping you find and solve an optional puzzle for your next bow upgrade compared to "Oh look, more Rocks/Throwing knives/shuriken! Just laying around on the floor, sweet." And bypassing enemy armor is usually up there with poison in how often it's useful for player characters.

Not surprised they nerfed double throw to need both hands, on that note (I wonder if you can manage to get split stacks of the same throwing weapon to return to both hands for auto pickup, or if you have to split it constantly to avoid "Gotta double throw with one great weapon, and one meh weapon"). But if that was the case in the first game, I still wouldn't have picked the crossbow gold key loot in the first game over the other options in that room.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 20, 2014

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

Hard is such an rear end in a top hat of a difficulty.

Ironman by itself is honestly not a big deal at all. I've quicksaved in this run to save time and game the system a bit, but really it's not a big difference compared to what I saw with an ironman run (which I quit about a third into the game). On normal the game is easy enough. On hard the game is a bitch, but where you save isn't the biggest problem. The tough areas are invariably really close to save points. Hard + ironman + one shot crystals would require an insanely optimized party and a planned equipment route I think. Or a lot of time.

Yeah the one use crystals + ironman seems like it could be fun but probably not for my first run. I don't know the mechanics or levels well enough yet to feel comfortable with it.

I'm still trying to decide what kind of party I want. Pretty much all I'm certain about is I want an alchemist since they seem pretty cool.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've reached the castle, I'm stuck on the library, I've figured out I need to get the three sets of numbers from the pillars, and I've got those, but I've no idea how they are used to open the door. I assumed each number would relate to a lever and how many times it needs to be flicked up and down, but when I press the blue button it just plays a number of clicks at different speeds.

Another more general spoiler for people who have reached the castle I've collected enough power gems to make the elements, obviously, but is there more before the castle that can be collected for making the fifth element? Or is it all after the castle.

I don't know about anyone else, but my two frontline characters are dishing out huge amounts of damage. I've got a knight and barbarian, both with 5 heavy, wielding two handers and a shield, and I've put points into accuracy and criticals, so they hit nearly every time and regularly crit for 400+. My two casters on the back row barely manage over 100 if they're lucky, and are really only there for ranged attacks and elemental damage at the moment. Might just be the spells I'm using though.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

I've reached the castle, I'm stuck on the library, I've figured out I need to get the three sets of numbers from the pillars, and I've got those, but I've no idea how they are used to open the door. I assumed each number would relate to a lever and how many times it needs to be flicked up and down, but when I press the blue button it just plays a number of clicks at different speeds.

Light spoiler: The numbers you found are the number of clicks you're trying to get (3 sets of them)
Not-so-light spoiler:Each lever represents a binary digit - from left to right they add 4, 2 and 1 click each

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Just "beat the game" sort of. I'm missing 1 power gem for the balance orb and I found the Trickerster's Lair.

Any ideas where that missing power gem might be? I know it's a long shot as no one knows (nor I) which ones I got prior.
Also, how do you open that door in the lobby in the center of the castle?

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
Is it just me or do ratlings seem to be the best race for almost every class? The mutation trait seems to be way to strong compared to every other race. My current ratling party is

Knight lvl 7-----Fighter lvl 7

str 16-----------str 8
dex 17-----------dex 24
vit 18-----------vit 15
wil 11-----------wil 14

Alchemist lvl 7--Wizard lvl 7

str 8 -----------str 9
dex 25-----------dex 18
vit 15-----------vit 17
wil 14-----------wil 21

The alchemist is my standout in terms of physical damage with 5 points in missile attacks he has been very lucky getting + dex almost every level.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So is there any reason not to just ignore the armor skill on your tanks? Since the consensus seems to be that evasion sucks, any downside to running around with 50 protection and -30 evasion? Would 50 protection and 15 evasion be significantly tougher?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

The Insect Court posted:

So is there any reason not to just ignore the armor skill on your tanks? Since the consensus seems to be that evasion sucks, any downside to running around with 50 protection and -30 evasion? Would 50 protection and 15 evasion be significantly tougher?

I noticed a pretty significant reduction in damage to my barbarian when he got the heavy armor trait and went from -16 evasion to +15.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

The Insect Court posted:

Yeah, you'll get hit more often.

It's not that evasion sucks, it's that only stacking evasion sucks. As in, the dodge skill is not that good beyond the 10% cooldown perk.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Pretty minor complaint, but I'd like to see stairs show up in color like save gems because they're pretty important, and kinda easy to glance over on the map. I wouldn't mind seeing a couple more icons to drop on the map too. Not quite sure what, but something like a skull for danger, maybe gold for treasure, teleport symbol etc. Not a lot, just a few.

Also, probably a bug, but has anyone else found ways to kill underwater monsters? I definitely did it, when I was trying to wake the face on the sleet island map. I cast the basic fire spell just as I moved forward into the water square and there was a fishman down there who died and dropped his trident. Not sure if I fell and cast in his face or if he couldn't retreat backward and telefragged.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 20, 2014

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

NiknudStunod posted:

Is it just me or do ratlings seem to be the best race for almost every class? The mutation trait seems to be way to strong compared to every other race. My current ratling party is

My level 11 Minotaur barb had 43 strength. My level 16 ratling farmer who eats cheese and has most of the rogue gear had all of 30 dex or thereabouts. Ratlings are ok but I don't think their ability is all that great if you aren't focusing their leveling somehow (the necklace or as a farmer). Marginal stat increases are actually pretty marginal. You want to find ways to increase stats in a big way, and the ratling ability is kind of meh for that.

e: ^^ You can kill underwater monsters by hitting them with spear type weapons, which work underwater or falling on them. You don't get xp for the second method but you do for the first.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

Pretty minor complaint, but I'd like to see stairs show up in color like save gems because they're pretty important, and kinda easy to glance over on the map. I wouldn't mind seeing a couple more icons to drop on the map too. Not quite sure what, but something like a skull for danger, maybe gold for treasure, etc. Not a lot, just a few.

Also, probably a bug, but has anyone else found ways to kill underwater monsters? I definitely did it, when I was trying to wake the face on the sleet island map. I cast the basic fire spell just as I moved forward into the water square and there was a fishman down there who died and dropped his trident. Not sure if I fell and cast in his face or if he couldn't retreat backward and telefragged.

Shock bombs are supposed to work underwater. There's a trident that you can find in a chest that works underwater and possibly the tribal spear. It's also possible to drop on fishmen to kill them.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

how many gems are in the pyramid? I got one from the second floor and one by killing one of the big rock monsters in the desert portal

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Started off this game and it's really great - loving all the improvements over #1!

Question about Gold Keys and Lockpicks - is it ever worth skipping chests with them like in 1? Or are there enough to open enough of the caches to not screw you over later.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

DrManiac posted:

how many gems are in the pyramid? I got one from the second floor and one by killing one of the big rock monsters in the desert portal

That's all I found and I checked out every nook and cranny. Also, best sword in the game in the north west corner of the first floor I believe.

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Question about Gold Keys and Lockpicks - is it ever worth skipping chests with them like in 1? Or are there enough to open enough of the caches to not screw you over later.

Lockpicks, I ended up with 3 after beating the game and opening everything I found.
Golden keys, I quick save, open the door, scan the loot and then reload and save the key for later or something. Golden Keys are rare as hell.

Malek fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 20, 2014

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
(Reply != Edit, sorry)

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Started off this game and it's really great - loving all the improvements over #1!

Gold keys are rare as hell but go nuts with lockpicks. I'm 4 dungeons in and still have 11 of the things.

What's the solution to the cementary gate puzzle? I have the letters from the archive but I can't figure it out.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Running a Lizard barb, Insect battlemage, Rat rogue and Mino alchemist so far on hard and doing pretty well. I found a great dagger early on for the rogue and he's hitting like a truck and he doesn't even have backstab or dual wield yet. He's gonna be a menace with those I bet.

The way monsters have special attacks now is pretty cool. You kinda have to develop a strategy for each foe you face unless you want to get hit constantly. Like those blue dudes you fight early on like to charge so you don't want to try backpedaling on them, you want to try to circle strafe them. The twig monsters however are susceptible to backpedaling because they don't charge but if you try to circle strafe them they will gently caress you up because they attack as they strafe.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

DrManiac posted:

What's the solution to the cementary gate puzzle? I have the letters from the archive but I can't figure it out.

North West South North North

This puzzle took me forever because my compass was screwed up (east and west got reversed). Look at the map and not your compass to find the cardinal directions

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Little bug in Ruins of Desarune. On the skyway, if I start the puzzle by throwing a knife across the gap and activating the LAST forcefield floor (by the key) FIRST, and then working my way around by dropping objects, the last forcefield is VISUALLY active, but you fall through it as though it weren't. But if you just drop objects as you go it works fine. Are thrown objects not fully activating the floor triggers? Was able to repeat it several times.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone know how to get the leggings behind the gate just as you enter the Ruins of Desarune?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone know how to get the leggings behind the gate just as you enter the Ruins of Desarune?

Literally just did that. Once you solve the first part of the ruins and you're 'behind' that room, you'll just want to poke around nearby for a secret button.

The same solution applies to large numbers of Grimrock puzzles. ;)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Man, this game is huge. Every time I think I've starting to see the edges, more of it unfolds.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Does anyone know some confirmed locations for golden keys? I swear I opened a chest early in the game that had one, but it's nowhere to be found in my inventory and I have no idea what I would've used it on because I certainly don't have any special items. I'm worried I dropped it somewhere or died before I could save and forgot about the chest.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I accidentally left two power gems in a bag in the water in keelbreach bog for like half the time I played.

Also, how are you people getting into the castle without five elements? I thought the elements were literally the key to getting in...

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Baiard posted:

Does anyone know some confirmed locations for golden keys? I swear I opened a chest early in the game that had one, but it's nowhere to be found in my inventory and I have no idea what I would've used it on because I certainly don't have any special items. I'm worried I dropped it somewhere or died before I could save and forgot about the chest.

You can acquire one in the first area by giving the Rapier to a statue in the area with a wrecked ship (near where the healing crystal is). Odds are good you spent it to open the Gold Key door in the stone circle area where you fight the first boss, that's what I did with it, cause I didn't know how scarce Gold Keys were at the time. The chest behind the door you open has a dagger named "Backbiter," so if that's in your pile of gear somewhere that's probably what happened to it.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 20, 2014

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Wow, right on point, thank you. That's exactly it. That dagger is barely useful to my party so I didn't even think it would be one of those legendary weapons.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Skippy McPants posted:

You can acquire one in the first area by giving the Rapier to a statue in the area which a wrecked ship (near where the healing crystal is). Odd are good you spent it do open the Gold Key door in the stone circle area where you fight the first boss, that's what I did with it, cause I didn't know how scarce Gold Keys were at the time. The chest behind the door you open has a dagger named "Backbiter," so if that's in your pile of gear somewhere that's probably what happened to it.
ughhhhhhh grimrock!!!!!!!!!!!1

I think I must have used that golden key somewhere else because my door in the challenge is still locked, but I don't know where I used that key or where it even popped up originally.

Oh I see, there's two statues. Wow how did I miss this :(

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 20, 2014

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

There's a golden key in a box under the broken bridge in the forgotten river

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I'll check there. Not 5 minutes after my post, I found one dropping from a rat pirate guy. I guess they can drop them? It was in the Cache, maybe it's scripted and then another one at the exact south middle of the Hamlet, next to a tree in a dead end

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Baiard posted:

I'll check there. Not 5 minutes after my post, I found one dropping from a rat pirate guy. I guess they can drop them? It was in the Cache, maybe it's scripted and then another one at the exact south middle of the Hamlet, next to a tree in a dead end

The one that drops inside the cache is scripted, yeah.

So far as I know all the Gold Key drops and locations are fixed, since it's intended by design that you will never have enough of them to open every gold lock in the game.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skippy McPants posted:

The one that drops inside the cache is scripted, yeah.

So far as I know all the Gold Key drops and locations are fixed, since it's intended by design that you will never have enough of them to open every gold lock in the game.

There is an item that will allow you to open every golden lock.

Honestly I find the golden treasure to be pretty bleh anyway. I have 3 keys that I don't know what to do with.

A great use of your first golden key is to get the rope from the cache (with the serpent bracers) which allows you to climb down pits. I would not want to play a game without it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Jordan7hm posted:

There is an item that will allow you to open every golden lock.

Honestly I find the golden treasure to be pretty bleh anyway. I have 3 keys that I don't know what to do with.

A great use of your first golden key is to get the rope from the cache (with the serpent bracers) which allows you to climb down pits. I would not want to play a game without it.

Isn't fall damage relatively minor?

Scrag
Jun 7, 2003
We plants are happy plants.

Motherfucker posted:

Also, how are you people getting into the castle without five elements? I thought the elements were literally the key to getting in...

You only need four. The fifth element is a hidden extra element.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kanos posted:

Fall damage isn't much, but the injuries you can suffer from it is literally the worst thing.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I tank fall damage and you should too you massive puss.

Also: you can get a free rope in the crystal mines~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrag
Jun 7, 2003
We plants are happy plants.

Kanos posted:

Yes, but breaking your legs on the fall can be a pain in the rear end. The rope negates that, and there's a lot of pits you need to jump down on purpose.

• Locked thread