Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
I was looking for Frozen dolls for my little sister, and did not have much success. Not only is everything still sold out, they all look pretty lovely. The best ones are basically Barbies that have sorta-Elsa-like dresses, unless I failed at Google. I wonder if there are plans in the future for decent merch for kids who are young enough to enjoy this stuff, but old enough to know lovely when they see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't know anything about dolls, but this seems like the best you're going to get without dropping big bucks on one of the premium versions.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

I don't know anything about dolls, but this seems like the best you're going to get without dropping big bucks on one of the premium versions.

Neato, those at least resemble the characters. Thanks.

EDIT: Looking at the reviews, it seems these dolls are like 20 bucks at the Disney store, whenever they finally get the supply situation in order. I love my sister but I'm sure she will understand a bit of a wait if it means I can afford both characters, rather than making her choose.

Sarrisan fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 17, 2014

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I wonder what sparked this supply problem. I work for an inventory company, and back in late February (well after the movie was booming), several stores had tons of Frozen dolls/merch just piled up in the clearance sections. 50% off, "please just take them they're clogging our store" clearance. And then BAM, it's all vanished and going for :50bux: online.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Wouldn't surprise me if some of it was like anything else popular where some bought up all they could to hold onto it till after the market declined and started selling the stuff on ebay. It happens with lots of stuff. For a while there were two lego sets I wanted, the tower crane and the Imperial flagship (yeah, I still play with legos). Then they were around 180 and I didn't have the money. Once the inventory dried up people hit ebay selling them from 300 up to 1k trying to make a fast buck

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the Modelling/Sculpting thread.

Couldn't be seen buying Frozen dolls, so I sculpted my own.

99% Completed (some minor fixing of the skirts left)

And something I painted up earlier

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 17, 2014

Eflas
Sep 24, 2010

Sarrisan posted:

Neato, those at least resemble the characters. Thanks.

EDIT: Looking at the reviews, it seems these dolls are like 20 bucks at the Disney store, whenever they finally get the supply situation in order. I love my sister but I'm sure she will understand a bit of a wait if it means I can afford both characters, rather than making her choose.

I made a notification service for the online Disney Store a while ago: http://eepurl.com/TyNFf

Hope that helps, I in no way benefit from it, only made it for the Frozen subreddit.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SocketWrench posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if some of it was like anything else popular where some bought up all they could to hold onto it till after the market declined and started selling the stuff on ebay. It happens with lots of stuff. For a while there were two lego sets I wanted, the tower crane and the Imperial flagship (yeah, I still play with legos). Then they were around 180 and I didn't have the money. Once the inventory dried up people hit ebay selling them from 300 up to 1k trying to make a fast buck

I still want to get either the Star Destroyer or the Executor set. It's like a 15-year-running dream at this point.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SocketWrench posted:

That poo poo's a loving plague when it comes to LEGO. Sets go out of print after a couple of years, so you'll have people buying multiple of the larger sets and just holding on to them, waiting for them to finally go out.

You can't buy a Harry Potter set right now, especially one of the big ones, without dropping way too much money.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

api call girl posted:

I still want to get either the Star Destroyer or the Executor set. It's like a 15-year-running dream at this point.

Not the star wars one, the frigate sailing ship one. Still pisses me off people do that poo poo, but hey, if someone's dumb enough to buy'em...

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Eflas posted:

I made a notification service for the online Disney Store a while ago: http://eepurl.com/TyNFf

Hope that helps, I in no way benefit from it, only made it for the Frozen subreddit.

This is fantastic, thanks.

EDIT: Aaaand, that did it. The toys are on the way. :) Thanks again.

Z the IVth posted:

Crossposting from the Modelling/Sculpting thread.

Couldn't be seen buying Frozen dolls, so I sculpted my own.

99% Completed (some minor fixing of the skirts left)
[snip]

And something I painted up earlier

[snip]

This is amazing.

Sarrisan fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 19, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

That poo poo's a loving plague when it comes to LEGO. Sets go out of print after a couple of years, so you'll have people buying multiple of the larger sets and just holding on to them, waiting for them to finally go out.

You can't buy a Harry Potter set right now, especially one of the big ones, without dropping way too much money.

This is only a significant problem if you're literally the dad from the lego movie.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Xoidanor posted:

This is only a significant problem if you're literally the dad from the lego movie.

Or if you're the parent of a child who was too young to be into Harry Potter when the Lego sets were in print but now desperately wants them.

I'm spending at least 3X the original retail price to get her birthday presents. :sigh:

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Exodor posted:

Or if you're the parent of a child who was too young to be into Harry Potter when the Lego sets were in print but now desperately wants them.

I'm spending at least 3X the original retail price to get her birthday presents. :sigh:

I have 3 sisters and a brother who are constantly discovering things that are out-of-print and necessitate serious hunting for quality presents. I thank god the youngest got into Frozen so early, lord knows what this poo poo will cost in 10 years.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Sarrisan posted:

I thank god the youngest got into Frozen so early, lord knows what this poo poo will cost in 10 years.

Chech this out.

I like the "frequently bought together" thing, like there are enough people buying that to describe it as "frequently". The truth is probably that it's automated and no human called it "frequently" but it's still hilarious to me.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
hahahaha, that's hilarious. Is this some sort of charity thing, or just a very optimistic scalper?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sarrisan posted:

hahahaha, that's hilarious. Is this some sort of charity thing, or just a very optimistic scalper?

It's probably an automatic price-matching system that got into a negative spiral. It can happen occasionally.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

wdarkk posted:

Chech this out.

I like the "frequently bought together" thing, like there are enough people buying that to describe it as "frequently". The truth is probably that it's automated and no human called it "frequently" but it's still hilarious to me.

I love how the bottom reviewer thinks Disney is the one that listed it

The frequently thing is auto generated, it's just something that links whatever you're looking at at something related to upsell. Got the same when buying a red dot for my rifle, it listed the same and another scope as FBT, which makes no sense since you can only mount one.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 23, 2014

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Chech this out.

Check out the "also viewed" list just below it...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

rockopete posted:

Some of those are from the "Worst Things for Sale" blog, which is how I found it.

EDIT: I don't think the albums are though.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

rockopete posted:

I am loving dying here.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I have now seen this film. It's an entertaning hour and three-quarters, even if the twist and resolution felt a little unearned (a common Disney problem). I can see why people getting excited about it.

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman
Scriptnotes, Ep 128: Frozen with Jennifer Lee — Transcript

Jennifer Lee posted:

Ha! We did have a regent. We had him. He turned into, and I love it because I wrote a character and I wrote it for what’s his name, Louis C.K. I wanted him so badly in the film. I just wanted him in the film. But the first act is so heavy, it’s still heavy. There’s so much in it.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I wish they had kept Elsa as the villain. Hans felt like a very contrived way to resolve the issue of Anna being engaged to a fairly sweet guy, whilst the film is heavily encouraging how perfect her chemistry is with Kristoff. And of course Kristoff is the classical solo hero with a gruff exterior but secretly sentimental. I was wondering how they would deal with that love triangle and it felt a bit cheap to have one of the guys solve her problem.

The Duke was boring and a non-presence so I think Elsa would have been the best bet. I think the Lego movie proved you can have a villain redemption and have it feel earned. I suppose the same is true for Treasure Planet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No, I like the fact that this is probably the first Disney movie ever where the villain isn't really the core mover of the story, and the movie could kinda work even without a villain at all.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

MikeJF posted:

No, I like the fact that this is probably the first Disney movie ever where the villain isn't really the core mover of the story, and the movie could kinda work even without a villain at all.

True there could be no villain and it would work, although I think Frozen isn't any less villain-driven than Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Cars, or Lilo and Stitch which all had very ancillary villains as well. I don't recall Cars having a villain at all actually.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lilo & Stitch I'll give you; the others I wasn't really counting as Disney movies because Pixar.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I see Lilo & Stitch as a villain redemption movie. He started out with a very high badness level.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
That depends if you think "stealing everyone's left shoe" is monstrous.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Stitch was basically a mischievous, semi-sapient dog. He's not a villain, just kind of a jackass.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
But he was made to murder people.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

A literal big bad guy knocks on Stitch's door and chases him around for the entire movie. I can't see how that movie isn't "villain-driven".

e: Not sure how people are seeing Stitch as a villain at all. He's a crazy furball whose cute antics we're clearly supposed to sympathize with.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I thought the only villain in Lilo and Stitch was Cpt Gantu. Everyone else is a rounded character with differing priorities and goals who all clash to some extent. Only Gantu is still a bad guy through and through in the end.

That said, these are kids movies. They're allowed a bit of leeway with regards to straight up villains. I'd say it's more a bonus when they do something different than bad when they go the safer and more popular route.

My personal opinion is that the movie would have sucked with Elsa as villain. I'm basing this almost entirely on the deleted scenes where they were going that direction. At the very least, the movie would not have received the same critical accolades. Elsa being tragically misunderstood resonates with people more than her purposefully setting down eternal winter to punish her subjects.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Vegetable posted:

A literal big bad guy knocks on Stitch's door and chases him around for the entire movie. I can't see how that movie isn't "villain-driven".

e: Not sure how people are seeing Stitch as a villain at all. He's a crazy furball whose cute antics we're clearly supposed to sympathize with.

Stitch is absolutely a villain at the beginning of the film, it's kind of the point. He almost murders a guy by spitting on him (causing the DNA-sensing guns to shoot at him, only missing as they hit his hat--with the spit on it--instead).

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

He was a villainous character, but I don't think he qualifies at all as a villain for the film. Same as Elsa; they have ostensibly negative qualities that need to be dealt with and overcome and that character arc is the focal point of the film. Hans is the villain of Frozen; Gantu is the villain in Lilo and Stitch. If Stitch overcoming his murderous inclinations once and for all was the climax of the film, I think things would be different, but he shifts gears relatively early in the story and spends the entire third act going up against the bad guy in the name of family.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Lilo and Stitch has the unique quality of every character having a discernable bad side.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I wouldn't even say "bad side" so much as just traits and/or behaviors that are undesirable. I'm trying to think of Lilo's bad side and can only come up with her being a kid, and a little odd, probably because of dead parents. Her resolution wasn't in fixing her undesirable side, but in her life situation changing to make that side okay.

Cobra Bubbles also doesn't seem to have a bad side. He's just lacking information most of the film. Once he has that info, he's all good.

I'd really say it's more that these characters all have characteristics that clash until they reach an understanding, at which point everyone is fine (going by end montage). That said, I don't think the inclusion of Gantu as villain makes the movie weaker. It's still a kid movie, after all.

On a side note, I remember seeing this movie at its first showing at the Downtown Disney movie theater in Orlando. It was awesome watching the credits and hearing different parts of the audience cheer as certain names scrolled by.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Plus Gantu is awesome and his voice actor is awesome

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Gantu is a villain in the same sense as Sid or Bruce: they have very little to do with the main narrative conflict.

Compare with Scar, Jafar, Yzma or Hades. Or Randall or Syndrome. These characters are the primary motivation for the plots of the stories they're in and the protagonists are swept up into trying to stop them. It's never vice versa.

I do find it odd that Cars is the only one that has no antagonists at all (the car that wins is more just a dick than a villain, he doesn't interact with Lightning at all) . What a strange Disney film to have that unique distinction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Winnie the Pooh?

• Locked thread