Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Scrag posted:

Yes, but breaking your legs on the fall can be a pain in the rear end. The rope negates that, and there's a lot of pits you need to jump down on purpose.

You should jump into literally every pit.

Fall damage is meaningless except at early levels (ie not when you're at Crystal Mines) but preventing wounds is always relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

My level 11 Minotaur barb had 43 strength. My level 16 ratling farmer who eats cheese and has most of the rogue gear had all of 30 dex or thereabouts. Ratlings are ok but I don't think their ability is all that great if you aren't focusing their leveling somehow (the necklace or as a farmer). Marginal stat increases are actually pretty marginal. You want to find ways to increase stats in a big way, and the ratling ability is kind of meh for that.

e: ^^ You can kill underwater monsters by hitting them with spear type weapons, which work underwater or falling on them. You don't get xp for the second method but you do for the first.

If you rolled a ratling barbarian you would start with 4 lower strength but would have the potential to have a higher ending strength if you get lucky on rolls.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Haha, I spend hours creating my characters then 10 minutes into the game I remember whey I never finished the first one; too easy to cheese the combat and I am not a puzzle guy.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Fwiw the combat is waaaaay better this time around. Even if character creation is still a bit of a bummer.

But yeah if you don't like puzzles and exploration I'd get out too.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

-Blackadder- posted:

Haha, I spend hours creating my characters then 10 minutes into the game I remember whey I never finished the first one; too easy to cheese the combat and I am not a puzzle guy.

The environments are more movement constraining than the first game, and enemies are more responsive to juking; some of them have ways to counter you trying to cheese the same way you would in Grimrock 1.

You wouldn't see that in the first 10 minutes, though. :v:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

NiknudStunod posted:

If you rolled a ratling barbarian you would start with 4 lower strength but would have the potential to have a higher ending strength if you get lucky on rolls.

No, because the skull trait accounts for 7 of that strength.

I think Ratling is probably better on a Dex build but even so it costs a trait to take mutation and realistically you should only expect around 4 of any particular stat unless you go farmer or grind respawn enemies.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wouldn't call it juking. The game rewards you for physically dodging attacks, and some enemies are specifically built to hit you if you try to spin around them. It's like Dark Souls! You can't just tank hits, you have to move!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

-Blackadder- posted:

If you're only 10 minutes in, you've only met the turtles and the mermen, the simplest enemies in the game. Keep going.

Still, puzzles and exploration is the meat of the game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Jay Rust posted:

I wouldn't call it juking. The game rewards you for physically dodging attacks, and some enemies are specifically built to hit you if you try to spin around them. It's like Dark Souls! You can't just tank hits, you have to move!
I feel like this doesn't even adequately convey the counter measures they built in for this one.

Enemies have various swing timers that vary from attack to attack, sometimes even more than two for some enemies. Everytime I start to snooze and think I've got it all down, I encounter an enemy pattern that is new. It is really quite remarkable what all they did.

It worries me about what else could be left for the series!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rascyc posted:

I feel like this doesn't even adequately convey the counter measures they built in for this one.

Enemies have various swing timers that vary from attack to attack, sometimes even more than two for some enemies. Everytime I start to snooze and think I've got it all down, I encounter an enemy pattern that is new. It is really quite remarkable what all they did.

It worries me about what else could be left for the series!

Well, their next game doesn't have to be Grimrock 3. I agreed with you that this game feels like a pretty definitive iteration of the engine and mechanics they're using. Maybe they'll move on to something else.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

-Blackadder- posted:

As someone who cheesed the gently caress out of Grimrock 1's combat, that really, really, really doesn't work in Grimrock 2 past the dumb baby intro enemies. Enemies have varied attack timers now and huge amounts of them have movement tricks and gimmicks put in specifically to stop you from square dancing them to death in a 2x2 room forever.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kanos posted:

As someone who cheesed the gently caress out of Grimrock 1's combat, that really, really, really doesn't work in Grimrock 2 past the dumb baby intro enemies. Enemies have varied attack timers now and huge amounts of them have movement tricks and gimmicks put in specifically to stop you from square dancing them to death in a 2x2 room forever.

Even if I expect my face to get more punched in than before, this sounds encouraging for not making the only enemies worth worrying about the ones who can spam elemental full party damage. The ogres and Wardens in the first game were just 'oh, I guess it will take longer to kill them then?' even with their extra attacks. Well okay, the first was was "Oh god oh god GOTTA MAKE POTIONS FASTER".

EDIT: vvv Sweet. Now I just hope they don't pull something at the very end of the game that makes my melee dudes completely inconsequential to the point of "I just threw their hand equipment on the ground so I could put my bomb stockpile in their hands faster". Why bother melee fighting reinforcments when The Undying one will just instant kill them for you.

Hmm, on that note. Spoilerish question for those of you who beat the game. Is there another weapon of power or similar? And if so, do they now pull "Haha, gently caress you for not picking our new class or weapon skill. Enjoy your end boss required weapon constantly jamming" Because I'd expect that to happen if Grimrock 1 got ported to the Sequel's system. I loved blindly stumbling my way through the first one, that's probably my only sore point that wasn't "I am so bad at timing puzzles even when I know the answer".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 20, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Section Z posted:

Even if I expect my face to get more punched in than before, this sounds encouraging for not making the only enemies worth worrying about the ones who can spam elemental full party damage. The ogres and Wardens in the first game were just 'oh, I guess it will take longer to kill them then?' even with their extra attacks. Well okay, the first was was "Oh god oh god GOTTA MAKE POTIONS FASTER".

Some examples: Crabs can attack while moving sideways(because they're crabwalking :haw:), stone elemental dudes seem to have a 360 attack, twigroots in the woods can roll one tile to the left or right and attack instantly, the mer-goblins in the intro area can do a horribly devastating leap attack if you're two tiles away from them in a straight line.

There's a ton more, but it's a lot spicier and more dangerous than "lure enemy to 2x2 junction, commence the jigglin'".

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kanos posted:

Some examples: Crabs can attack while moving sideways(because they're crabwalking :haw:), stone elemental dudes seem to have a 360 attack, twigroots in the woods can roll one tile to the left or right and attack instantly, the mer-goblins in the intro area can do a horribly devastating leap attack if you're two tiles away from them in a straight line.

There's a ton more, but it's a lot spicier and more dangerous than "lure enemy to 2x2 junction, commence the jigglin'".

The shock for me was learning that the Ogres can now attack into adjacent tiles, not just the one they're facing.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Skippy McPants posted:

The shock for me was learning that the Ogres can now attack into adjacent tiles, not just the one they're facing.

That was pretty annoying to find. You pretty much have to do the 2x2 dance against them. Except they're slow as molasses, so it takes twice as long.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Also monsters run away when they have low health, and I think some of them call reinforcements.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

adhuin posted:

That was pretty annoying to find. You pretty much have to do the 2x2 dance against them. Except they're slow as molasses, so it takes twice as long.

Kite them and use ranged attacks.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Someone above had mentioned finding a note to explain the tetris room in the sewers, but while I've explored that whole room, I don't have the note, so I don't have any idea how to solve the puzzle?

For that matter, I think I've hosed up the following as well:

The Pyramid: I can't find the note that was at the gate. Above in the thread there's mention of an item but I definitely don't have it anymore. What's it's name/original location?

Cuntpunch fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 20, 2014

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
You kind of need the note.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Cuntpunch posted:

Someone above had mentioned finding a note to explain the tetris room in the sewers, but while I've explored that whole room, I don't have the note, so I don't have any idea how to solve the puzzle?

I think you find in somewhere else in the same area, so just explore around until you stumble on it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cuntpunch posted:

If I remember correctly, it's in the chest you can find just as you enter the hamlet from the archives for the first time. There's a chest behind some bars and three buttons you have to figure out.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I've had a Gear Key for several hours now, but it doesn't open the portal with a gear lock on it in the castle? What gives?

Also, question for someone who's beaten the game and actually annotated their map: Can someone remind me where to find the part of the legend of Kilhagan that explains where to find the last shrine? I found it a long time ago but I don't remember the wording, and I didn't mark it on my map. I'm definitely going to figure this puzzle out on my own, but I really would prefer not to comb the entire island over again to find one sign.

EDIT related to above: Actually if someone just wrote that part down I could use that instead.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 20, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I've had a Gear Key for several hours now, but it doesn't open the portal with a gear lock on it in the castle? What gives?

Also, question for someone who's beaten the game and actually annotated their map: Can someone remind me where to find the part of the legend of Kilhagan that explains where to find the last shrine? I found it a long time ago but I don't remember the wording, and I didn't mark it on my map. I'm definitely going to figure this puzzle out on my own, but I really would prefer not to comb the entire island over again to find one sign.

Its closer than you'd think.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Motherfucker posted:

Its closer than you'd think.
That doesn't really help me out with my question. Can anyone else give me something?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Only other Gear lock I can remember is a room in The Crypt

For your other question, I think it might be somewhere in the House of Needles in the Hamlet.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

EDIT related to above: Actually if someone just wrote that part down I could use that instead.
1 I don't think it was in a Kilhagan text actually, but rather hinted at through stone heads.
2 One says something like you need to be in a place of perfect elemental equilibrium
3 The other says something like you need a spell that is not complex but balanced
4 Looking at the Steam achievment might give a hint too

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Malek posted:

Pyramid Level 2 / Tomb of Rites question.

North Western section where there are 3x3 pits, 2 columns are closed but the middle column is open. How do I close that center column?

(Make that the middle column and the north west pit as well -- I see it corresponds to the light above but just can't find a way to get that open)

Disregard, need to play with things more.

I'm stuck on this, I can't seem to figure out the trick. Any hints?

edit: ah, of course, figured it out, it's super obvious :) spoiler for anyone else:

There's two stone altars on the side that you can reach from inside the 3x3 pits square.

Flashing Twelve fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 20, 2014

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010
^^ Could you spell it out to me like the retard I am?

e: Nevermind, got it :)

Cascade Failure fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 20, 2014

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
The latest beta 2.1.11 should now be available on Steam, in the separate beta-branch of the game. If all goes well and no major bugs are found, we'll roll out this to everybody in a couple of days. If you find any bugs with the beta, please report them ASAP.

Here are the combined release notes for 2.1.10 and 2.1.11:
- fixed typo in a potion description
- improved precision of dual wielding damage calculations
- zarchtons no longer drop harpoons (this was not intended behavior)
- added missing embalmer's pants to the game
- fixed jeweled scepter's 3D model to fit inside chests
- fixed errors and clarified attribute tooltips
- clarified battle mage description (a magical staff is needed to get the +10 bonus to resistance or protection)
- changed resistance bonuses: strength now affects resist fire, dexterity affects resist shock, vitality affects resist poison and willpower affects resist cold
- added hit sound to pushable blocks (does not apply to old save games)
- optimized opening of automap
- fixed "odd behavior of certain rock piles" when throwing items at them
- renamed trait: Weapon Specialization -> Martial Training
- tweaked stun effect to be less subtle
- tweaked chest map icon so that an exclamation mark icon on top of a chest is more visible
- bug fix: buckler's evasion bonus does not work (does not apply to old save games)
- bug fix: knight's shield bonus does not work
- bug fix: max epic items statistics is wrong (should be 17, not 16)
- bug fix: viper roots can spawn under water and die immediately
- bug fix: healing potion effect is played on the wrong portrait if party formation is changed
- bug fix: fireburst and similar spells can be cast inside pushable blocks (does not apply to old save games)
- bug fix: automap is not updated when falling down a level
- bug fix: game crashes when alt-tabbing during loading screen
- bug fix: item auto pickup logic does not take elevations into account (causes problems at the Skyway puzzle)
- bug fix: some map graphics are not shown on the automap after loading a save game
- bug fix: loading certain save games can sometimes crash with "inflate failed - ran out of available bytes" error
- bug fix: moving monster leave behind invisible blockers (very rarely) when the party is asleep
- bug fix: sleep darts put monsters to sleep even if the attack misses
- bug fix: armor set is considered to be equipped when shield is in inactive quick slot
- bug fix: monsters can fall down from ledges when they are leap attacking and party is standing on ladders
- bug fix: thrown items collide with marble statues behind the party when throwing items at the Shipwreck Beach
- bug fix: venom edge icon has a black smudge
- bug fix: rope can be used to climb down to a pit which has a teleporter over it
- bug fix: spell casting panel and potion crafting panels stay open when champion's hand is injured
- bug fix: if the healing crystal is on a platform, the healing crystal is not shown on the map
- bug fix: player can climb ladders while overloaded

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Hey J.Peeba, is it possible to make the same type of layout as the desert with the dungeon editor somehow? Having the ground kinda wave up and down while still technically being the same z-level everywhere?

Edit: You guys did a really good job with the editor btw, it feels really intuitive and easy to use so far.
Only thing it's missing is an undo button.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 20, 2014

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Kanos posted:

With the potential exception of the crab and the magma golem, the 2x2 works with just about every enemy. If they are 1x1 diagonal from you, they have to wander sideways to get in front of you to strike. They do not strike while moving and you can hit them while they move and then wander to another diagonal spot safely. I've done this with just about every monster and came out unscathed for situations where I wasn't backed into a corner or a hallway.

And where is that gear key in the first castle level? I'm assuming (and hoping) that's containing the one last power gem I'm missing from getting the good ending.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Malek posted:

And where is that gear key in the first castle level? I'm assuming (and hoping) that's containing the one last power gem I'm missing from getting the good ending.

Have you gotten to the top of the castle yet? If not, keep going.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Broken Cog posted:

Have you gotten to the top of the castle yet? If not, keep going.

Yeah, I did, beat the boss too. Didn't check the lobby though, will see again. Just hoping I can find the missing last gem.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Malek posted:

Yeah, I did, beat the boss too. Didn't check the lobby though, will see again. Just hoping I can find the missing last gem.

Did you kill both the Golems in the desert?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I can't overstate how much the sense of exploration adds to this game for me. I liked Grimrock 1 well enough, but this I love.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

GhostDog posted:

I can't overstate how much the sense of exploration adds to this game for me. I liked Grimrock 1 well enough, but this I love.

It brings me back so much to playing RPGs for hours on end in my teens. I have spent way too much time playing this over the past several days.

The exploration, the character development, the puzzles, the secrets are all great.

What I don't like is how some enemies auto hit when you move in range. Instead of the 2 step dance you now have to sit there and wait for them to walk into range. Not an improvement. (I'm thinking ogre, crab, zombie soldiers early on).

Qublai Qhan
Dec 23, 2008

In Xanadu did Qublai Qhan
a stately taco eat,
when ALF the spacerat,
ran through to talk--
Of cabbages and kings
And whether pigs have wings.

Section Z posted:

Blooddrop Cap 850 tiles
Etherweed 930 tiles
Mudwort 1950 tiles
Falconskyre 2500 tiles
Crystal Flower 4500 tiles
Blackmoss around 5500 or 11000 tiles, not sure yet

Blackmoss is 3700. Had to do some science.

Qublai Qhan fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 20, 2014

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Broken Cog posted:

Did you kill both the Golems in the desert?

Yeah. I was disappointed from the lack of headless guys holding 2 bombs screaming AHHHHHHHHHHH.

Got the armor from the second and the power gem from the first. I'm really hoping I didn't accidentally put it somewhere but food is becoming increasingly scarce since I murdered everything.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Malek posted:

With the potential exception of the crab and the magma golem, the 2x2 works with just about every enemy. If they are 1x1 diagonal from you, they have to wander sideways to get in front of you to strike. They do not strike while moving and you can hit them while they move and then wander to another diagonal spot safely. I've done this with just about every monster and came out unscathed for situations where I wasn't backed into a corner or a hallway.

The flying squid attacking backwards can mess you up, but not if youre careful. The frog also leaps behind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syllogism
Jun 7, 2001

We have listened. We are unmoved. The cleansing will proceed.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

How did you get the gear key?

e: I thought you were referring to the cube key, probably not now that I think about it

Syllogism fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 20, 2014

• Locked thread