Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

suicidesteve posted:

You already have 4 maindeck pieces of graveyard hate. I'd cut at least one of each of what you have now. Most of your sideboard should be anti-combo. Without knowing your deck list, it's hard to say.

Mine is some combination of:
Surgical Extraction
Life from the Loam
Krosan Grip
Zuran Orb
ScOoze
Chains of Mephistofeles

And what I would actually play going in blind,
Engineered Explosives
Grafdigger's Cage
Pithing Needle
2x Red Blast
Golgari Charm
Pernicious Deed
Slaughter Games
Thoughtseize
Nihil Spellbomb
Engineered Plague
Ancient Grudge
Phyrexian Revoker
Jitte
And of course.....
Helm of Obedience!

I'm currently playing Chains and ScOoze in the main as anti-Treasure Cruise tech. The Orb and Helm go into my sideboard if I see burn boy or a white deck respectively. If you expect a lot of Death and Taxes, play Engineered Plague. It does double duty against Elves and TES. Helm of Obedience is also going to be great against D&T. But really, it shouldn't be too bad - Punishing Fire and Abrupt Decay keeps them under control pretty well.

This is my SB right now:
3x Red Blast
2x Cage
1x Jitte
3x Duress
2x Macbre
2x Spellbomb
1x Engineered Plague
1x Golgari Charm

So I'm playing a bunch of combo hate in Duress, Blast and Bomb... Already playing plague as it's awesome.

I play 1 Deed Main. After that it's a pretty stock Punishing Jund list... Why is Helm good? You would go with grip over grudge? Also, you don't play Life from the Loam?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

jassi007 posted:

searing blaze is a guaranteed 3 to them (running 8-10 fetches) blood is conditional. Blood my delver? nice I vapor snag it to my hand. Blaze it? Well I'll take 3 no matter what even if I bounce it.

You guys may be right about blaze. Though doesnt blaze have to have both targets be valid or it fizzles? Like if the delver is bounced wouldn't it be missing half of the required targets to be legal?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

You guys may be right about blaze. Though doesnt blaze have to have both targets be valid or it fizzles? Like if the delver is bounced wouldn't it be missing half of the required targets to be legal?

It will still deal damage to as many targets as possible. Read the gatherer ruling.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

This is my SB right now:
3x Red Blast
2x Cage
1x Jitte
3x Duress
2x Macbre
2x Spellbomb
1x Engineered Plague
1x Golgari Charm

So I'm playing a bunch of combo hate in Duress, Blast and Bomb... Already playing plague as it's awesome.

I play 1 Deed Main. After that it's a pretty stock Punishing Jund list... Why is Helm good? You would go with grip over grudge?

I had Deed main for a while. I ended up turning it into a Golgari Charm, which I liked a little more. Using it to regen my guys against a Nic Fit Deed was when I decided to keep it. Deed is way too good not to have somewhere in the 75 though. Somehow nobody ever expects it.

Helm is good because it punishes Rest in Peace, which otherwise really screws you. I have Grip and Grudge in my side. Grip hits Batterskull, Counterbalance, Blood Moon, Top, LED assuming they don't immediately crack it, Leyline of Sanctity, etc. Grip is also better against Miracles. Grudge is better against equipment decks, 12-Post, Tezzeret Merfolk, etc.

I'd play Surgical over Faerie Macabre, although it's close - maybe one of each. Surgical has been my MVP sideboard card (mostly because it's the only one I ever draw.) It can win so many games by hitting a key card like Entreat the Angels or Painter's Servant.

I don't know if you need 2 Cages. Your matchup against Dredge really shouldn't be that bad, and the only other thing I can think of where it's good is Painter and some Storm (which you'll probably lose to anyway.) and Elves where if they're able to cast Natural Order you're probably losing anyway. You might consider a 2nd Library or if you can afford it, Chains.

What's your Thoughtseize/Hymn/Lili count main? I'm at 3/4/4 and I can't see ever needing more than 2 more discard spells in the side.

A spell needs all of its targets to be cast and it needs one legal target to resolve. So Searing Blaze needs a player and a creature belonging to that player to be cast. It only needs one of those targets to resolve. So if the creature bounces or the player gains Hexproof/pro-red, it'll still resolve but it will only hit what it can.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 20, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

jassi007 posted:

searing blaze is a guaranteed 3 to them (running 8-10 fetches) blood is conditional. Blood my delver? nice I vapor snag it to my hand. Blaze it? Well I'll take 3 no matter what even if I bounce it.

If you vapor snag a delver you're still losing a life and taking a pretty big tempo loss so

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

suicidesteve posted:

I had Deed main for a while. I ended up turning it into a Golgari Charm, which I liked a little more. Using it to regen my guys against a Nic Fit Deed was when I decided to keep it. Deed is way too good not to have somewhere in the 75 though. Somehow nobody ever expects it.

Helm is good because it punishes Rest in Peace, which otherwise really screws you. I have Grip and Grudge in my side. Grip hits Batterskull, Counterbalance, Blood Moon, Top, LED assuming they don't immediately crack it, Leyline of Sanctity, etc. Grip is also better against Miracles. Grudge is better against equipment decks, 12-Post, Tezzeret Merfolk, etc.

I'd play Surgical over Faerie Macabre, although it's close - maybe one of each. Surgical has been my MVP sideboard card (mostly because it's the only one I ever draw.) It can win so many games by hitting a key card like Entreat the Angels or Painter's Servant.

I don't know if you need 2 Cages. Your matchup against Dredge really shouldn't be that bad, and the only other thing I can think of where it's good is Painter and some Storm (which you'll probably lose to anyway.) and Elves where if they're able to cast Natural Order you're probably losing anyway. You might consider a 2nd Library or if you can afford it, Chains.

What's your Thoughtseize/Hymn/Lili count main? I'm at 3/4/4 and I can't see ever needing more than 2 more discard spells in the side.

4/3/4 right now. Doesn't cage shut down Natural Order? Haha I didn't think of Helm vs Rest in Peace, thats awesome. They die to their own hate. But doesn't that seem a tad bit like goldfishing?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

A spell needs all of its targets to be cast and it needs one legal target to resolve. So Searing Blaze needs a player and a creature belonging to that player to be cast. It only needs one of those targets to resolve. So if the creature bounces or the player gains Hexproof/pro-red, it'll still resolve but it will only hit what it can.

Thanks for clarifying!

Different topic, has anyone had any experience with trying any modern death and taxes lists? This one 4-0'd a daily a couple days ago: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/248814#online

I've seen some variations but they're all pretty close. Seems fun and it's really cheap on modo with some very reusable cards.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Different topic, has anyone had any experience with trying any modern death and taxes lists? This one 4-0'd a daily a couple days ago: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/248814#online

I've seen some variations but they're all pretty close. Seems fun and it's really cheap on modo with some very reusable cards.
I built the deck but took a version splashing blue to a TCG States and went 0-3 so I have been off it for a while. It's pretty weird to see neither of the two 4-0 list represented on that page running any Restoration Angels at all.

In Modern because you don't have Wasteland and Port it's an extremely meta-reading-dependent deck. My list wasn't optimized to face so many Pod opponents so I got my rear end handed to me and it felt horrible. For example I see these lists are running Dryad Militant over Judge's Familiar in the 1-drop slot and one has Spirit main and the other has a full playset of Revokers.

I feel like I should drop the hundo into MTGO and build it so I can do more testing and get better at actually playing the deck because I mostly play WB Tokens right now when I'm playing at the local shop.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

4/3/4 right now. Doesn't cage shut down Natural Order? Haha I didn't think of Helm vs Rest in Peace, thats awesome. They die to their own hate. But doesn't that seem a tad bit like goldfishing?

Cage shuts down NO, but you really don't want to let them get to a place where they can cast it anyway. If Elves are at 4 mana + creatures, the game has probably gotten away from you. It does stop stuff like fetch Arbor, but you're pretty well equipped to punish that play anyway.

Maybe Helm is a bit silly/unfair/uninteractive/whatever, but there's just going to be some free wins from it. And they'll all be against decks that have Swords, which is otherwise really hard to beat. They have a 2 mana card that shuts half of your threats off, it's only fair you have a 4 mana card to kill them for it. Plus imagine the look on their face when they realize they got next leveled. It also serves double duty against Sneak and Show/12-Post if you want to be really ballsy about it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Boco_T posted:

I built the deck but took a version splashing blue to a TCG States and went 0-3 so I have been off it for a while. It's pretty weird to see neither of the two 4-0 list represented on that page running any Restoration Angels at all.

In Modern because you don't have Wasteland and Port it's an extremely meta-reading-dependent deck. My list wasn't optimized to face so many Pod opponents so I got my rear end handed to me and it felt horrible. For example I see these lists are running Dryad Militant over Judge's Familiar in the 1-drop slot and one has Spirit main and the other has a full playset of Revokers.

I feel like I should drop the hundo into MTGO and build it so I can do more testing and get better at actually playing the deck because I mostly play WB Tokens right now when I'm playing at the local shop.

Yeah I find no resto angels to be kinda weird but if it's putting up better results than the other versions I'll try without first. Cheaper without too. There seems to be a lot of variation on the deck, like with the revokers. With a lot of affinity and pod around though the revokers make sense.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you vapor snag a delver you're still losing a life and taking a pretty big tempo loss so

The circumstances where taking 1 dmg vs. 3 and not losing a creature is the wrong play are few and far between

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Cage shuts down NO, but you really don't want to let them get to a place where they can cast it anyway. If Elves are at 4 mana + creatures, the game has probably gotten away from you. It does stop stuff like fetch Arbor, but you're pretty well equipped to punish that play anyway.

Maybe Helm is a bit silly/unfair/uninteractive/whatever, but there's just going to be some free wins from it. And they'll all be against decks that have Swords, which is otherwise really hard to beat. They have a 2 mana card that shuts half of your threats off, it's only fair you have a 4 mana card to kill them for it. Plus imagine the look on their face when they realize they got next leveled. It also serves double duty against Sneak and Show/12-Post if you want to be really ballsy about it.

After playing tonight I feel like I need surgicals just to deal with Treasure Cruise...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

After playing tonight I feel like I need surgicals just to deal with Treasure Cruise...

Yeah. I posted the other week how I lost a game against burn with 0 cards in hand, 3 lands, and nothing else in play, and dead on board with me at 9 life and 2 cards in hand to a topdecked Cruise. I can't wait for it to get banned so I can go back to playing Magic.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

jassi007 posted:

The real debate for me is 4 gitaxian probe or not. I'm not sure if I like modern burn or modern delver better. I'm thinking of fiddling with delver to be a bit less counter heavy and more aggro.

Modern Delver is sweet - here is my UWR ~Jeskai~ version I'm working on.

4 Delvers
4 Swiftspears
4 Young Peezy

4 Bolt
4 Helix
4 Serum Visions
4 Sleight of Hand
4 Remand
3 Spell Pierce
3 Path to Exile
2 Boros Charm
2 Treasure Cruise

18 Lands
IIRC it's
2 Seachrome
2 Steam Vents
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Sacred Foundry
2 Island
1 Plains
1 Mountain
8 Fetches

I originally ran Geist of St Traft and Electrolyse, but took them out to go a bit more aggro and low to the ground, and play more cantrips to smooth the deck out. It is a lot more burn-heavy than legacy delver, and runs like a glorified burn deck that doesn't fold to turn 3-4 combos. It has a fair bit of game against Ascendancy storm, too.
Boros Charm might be the best card in the deck, as it can shut down Anger of the Gods and 'counter' Abrupt Decay, or just go as 4 to the face.

If you wanted to go for even less counter magic, then Steppe Lynx would probably be good, although you might need more lands? I also kinda want to try Jeskai Charm, as +1/+1 and Lifelink seems amazing and gross against race situations, or the bounce for massive tempo.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Mondrian posted:

Modern Delver is sweet - here is my UWR ~Jeskai~ version I'm working on.

4 Delvers
4 Swiftspears
4 Young Peezy

4 Bolt
4 Helix
4 Serum Visions
4 Sleight of Hand
4 Remand
3 Spell Pierce
3 Path to Exile
2 Boros Charm
2 Treasure Cruise

18 Lands
IIRC it's
2 Seachrome
2 Steam Vents
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Sacred Foundry
2 Island
1 Plains
1 Mountain
8 Fetches

I originally ran Geist of St Traft and Electrolyse, but took them out to go a bit more aggro and low to the ground, and play more cantrips to smooth the deck out. It is a lot more burn-heavy than legacy delver, and runs like a glorified burn deck that doesn't fold to turn 3-4 combos. It has a fair bit of game against Ascendancy storm, too.
Boros Charm might be the best card in the deck, as it can shut down Anger of the Gods and 'counter' Abrupt Decay, or just go as 4 to the face.

If you wanted to go for even less counter magic, then Steppe Lynx would probably be good, although you might need more lands? I also kinda want to try Jeskai Charm, as +1/+1 and Lifelink seems amazing and gross against race situations, or the bounce for massive tempo.

I am in agreement that a UWR could work, but I dislike the 4 swiftspears in the deck, they get outclassed very easily and it's not every turn you could make them a 3/4, I think snapcaster mage provides way more flexibility and potential, especially since you are only running 2 cruises.

This deck seems to be very much set up to try win against burn. UR Delver's main weakness is that because it's faster than it, can remove all of our onboard threats and we have a lot of possible dead cards against them. Adding 4 helix definitely mitigates the life point loss involved and no vapor snags means that it's not a dead card against them (especially since you can't bounce your own snaps for value in this list) and adding 3 pierces can help with the flurry of burn spells.

I'm going to continue to go UR in the meantime, but I like the list, but I would go maybe -2 or 3 swiftspear, +2 or 3 snaps and then cut 4 sleight of hands for 4 probes and maybe 1 pierce for a cruise, though this would be a personal call, if your meta is dominated by red deck wins, then this would be a good delver deck to run.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah. I posted the other week how I lost a game against burn with 0 cards in hand, 3 lands, and nothing else in play, and dead on board with me at 9 life and 2 cards in hand to a topdecked Cruise. I can't wait for it to get banned so I can go back to playing Magic.

Wait so burn is playing cruise now? lol. I don't think it's unbeatable though. A lot of the decks that play it have a hard time coming back in a game that you have control of even with Cruise. I was able to win against Sultai Delver even though he resolved 3 cruises in one game just because once i was ahead he didn't really have a way of catching back up.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Man, there is a lot of burn and UR Delver running around in Modern. Perhaps it is time to dust off my old friend

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here is the latest UW Prison list from this past weekend's Dissolution stream.

https://deckbox.org/sets/813813

He doesn't run Revs online though, I guess you cut one Blind Obedience and one Sigil for the 2 Revs. I guess maybe it's not as good in the deck since he's recently cut out Nykthos from his build for New Benalia.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Wait so burn is playing cruise now? lol. I don't think it's unbeatable though. A lot of the decks that play it have a hard time coming back in a game that you have control of even with Cruise. I was able to win against Sultai Delver even though he resolved 3 cruises in one game just because once i was ahead he didn't really have a way of catching back up.

Yeah, I beat BUG Delver that same night through like 6 or 7 Cruises in 3 games. But the fact that BURN is playing blue for one card is pretty telling that the card is broken. Don't even get me started on modern. I've played one deck online in 10 matches that wasn't UR Delver.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah, I beat BUG Delver that same night through like 6 or 7 Cruises in 3 games. But the fact that BURN is playing blue for one card is pretty telling that the card is broken. Don't even get me started on modern. I've played one deck online in 10 matches that wasn't UR Delver.

Yeah it's completely busted in Modern Delver with Swiftspear. I've been playing Twin for a while now and I'm even thinking of going to Delver just so I can run cruise.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Boco_T posted:

Here is the latest UW Prison list from this past weekend's Dissolution stream.

https://deckbox.org/sets/813813

He doesn't run Revs online though, I guess you cut one Blind Obedience and one Sigil for the 2 Revs. I guess maybe it's not as good in the deck since he's recently cut out Nykthos from his build for New Benalia.

I was watching the new stream as well. I'm definitely leaving Nykthos in. I don't want another tapped land (even as powerful as scry is) and I've had Nykthos power out some big turns. I am probably shaving a copy since I was ending up with 2 too often.

It doesn't really matter because I don't actually play this bad deck but if my store reflects what is going on online with a lot of burn-y strategies, it might be worth it.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
For a different take on burn, why not try :stonklol: 5 colors :stonklol:

4 Goblin Guide
4 Swiftspear
4 Wild Nacatl
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lightning Helix
4 Boros Charm
4 Tribal Flames
2 Treasure Cruise
2 Lava Spike

4 Wooded Foothills
4 Bloodstained Mires
4 Windswept Heaths
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Blood Crypt
1 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
1 Temple Garden
1 Plains
1 Island
1 Forest

Sideboard (WIP):

2 Anger of the Gods
2 Slaughter Games
3 Blood Moon
2 Rest in Peace
2 Wear/Tear
4 Molten Rain (Heavy Scapeshift/Tron meta)

It's fast, it's mean, and it's accessible for those without ZEN fetches (although B/R will be switched to R/W when I have the time or inclination.) If you are going to run 2 cmc burn spells, why not try and get them to do 5 damage a piece! Tribal Burn is fun times.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

suicidesteve posted:

Burn isn't playing it in Legacy; not winning lists at least.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Deofuta posted:

Back when Deathrite was legal, I played a deck like this with Snapcaster so you could Flames, snap, flames. It was so greedy and killed itself half the time, but it was fun.

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

:fuckthis:
I've spent the past year or so dicking up a Modern brew of my own, slowly accumulating the cards. Started building it right when the Modern format was announced, and with Caw-Blade fresh on my mind, I knew I wanted to play a very sadistic deck. Theros block was the main assembly and tinkering phase, and now along comes Khans. However, I'm considering some revision to its landbase, splashing Green for Life from the Loam, and am restless with the sideboard, so I'd very much appreciate some feedback. I've included some how-it-works info if it helps, and linked to the Gatherer pages for cards that are less immediately recognizable.

quote:

Maindeck:

Creatures: 13
4x Bloodsoaked Champion
3x Dark Confidant
4x Goblin Guide
2x Purphoros, God of the Forge

Planeswalkers: 3
3x Liliana of the Veil

Enchantments: 3
3x Bitterblossom

Instants: 6
4x Lightning Bolt
2x Plunge into Darkness

Sorceries: 14
4x Smallpox
4x Thoughtseize
3x Inquisition of Kozilek
4x Lingering Souls

Lands: 21
4x Blackcleave Cliffs
4x Bloodstained Mire
3x Mountain
4x Swamp
3x Tectonic Edge
1x Godless Shrine
1x Sacred Foundry
1x Flagstones of Trokair

Sideboard:

2x Eidolon of the Great Revel
2x Blood Moon
3x Shred Memory
2x Surgical Extraction
1x Wear // Tear
2x Anger of the Gods
3x Molten Rain

Info posted:

Bloodsoaked Champion is a newly-included 4-of for a reason. Smallpox does a lot of great work in this deck, and being able to consistently grab this guy back over and over is appreciated. This also applies to Plunge into Darkness, offsetting the deck's bite to my life while also letting me dig for cards in a pinch. Liliana's sac ability, anytime I discard (so Bloodsoaked Champion gets double-synergy with Smallpox!) too, though my own sideboarded Anger of the Gods can threaten it. Still, he's undeniably a Champ.

Speaking of which, the tokens. I'd wanted to include Lingering Souls in a BR deck ever since Purphoros was spoiled, and Bloodstained Mire finally made doing so feasible. The unbanning of Bitterblossom was when I knew this deck was really going to be able to get somewhere. I used to run Young Pyromancer in here, who was particularly amusing with Smallpox due to being able to sac the token, but swapped it out for Champ, and now that I've added Lingering Souls, he's redundant. Plunge into Darkness has already been mentioned, but I do need to emphasize that that is at instant speed. As this is a deck with a very low creature curve (minus wincon Purph) and tokens, needless to say boardwipes are unwelcome. I run a nice discard suite with Liliana, Inquisition, and Thoughtseize, but things can slip through on the topdeck. Plus, this deck is pretty heavily influenced by suicide decks. Shocklands, Thoughtseize, Fetchlands, Dark Confidant, and Bitterblossom can chew at me. That said, Bitterblossom into Plunge is a very favorable usage of resources, especially if someone decides to Supreme Verdict and I have 2-3 mana open, and as you can guess it just flat-out helps grease this deck's gears while also compensating for all the life loss. I used to maindeck Eidolon of the Great Revel, even.

(That said, I actually have favorable matchups with Burn from my experience, since my discard and land destruction packages choke them. Not to mention all the tokens for managing aggro from other RDW archetypes.)

Lingering Souls, it should be noted, makes the best fodder for Lili's discard ability and Smallpox's discard.

On that note, Flagstones of Trokair is absolutely hilarious with Smallpox and the shocklands, being able to screw somebody over and then end up with a better manabase afterwards is priceless.

There is however a bit of anti-synergy with Goblin Guide potentially giving an opponent a land after I've put some squeeze on their manabase, but he's freaking Goblin Guide for one thing, and him revealing the top card of their libraries when I'm running healthy discard is well worth it.

Shred Memory in particular is a card that almost always gets a "what does that do" reaction from my opponent, followed by a "huh, that's actually really useful". Love this drat thing so much. Being able to scalpel out 4 cards from a graveyard is better than ever now, and being able to transmute for Bob, Smallpox, Eidolon, Plunge, Wear/Tear, or Bitterblossom is dear to me. I'm honestly considering running these maindeck now given the Treasure Cruise situation now adding to Snapcaster, Goyf, and so on, plus at the very least they can always yoink up whatever 2cmc I need.

The biggest thing on my mind is how to handle the splashes.

The deck already splashes White, but there's one Green card and its friend I definitely want to consider. (Although I worry about going off the slippery slope on this one and throwing in Abrupt Decay and just turning into the Jund+Junk deck.)

The thing I've been tantalized by is the potential for Life from the Loam and Raven's Crime. I do love me some discard antics, but considering I also run Tectonic Edge and Smallpox, I can see that old combo having very strong synergy with this deck. I only splash White currently however, and worry about being able to incorporate G (probably via Stomping Grounds, though adding a singleton Windswept Heath could be prudent at that point) as well as the Tectonic Edges while not being easily land-screwed or Blood Moon fodder. As I target lands myself, and run Smallpox, I know very well how that can put the screws on a deck fast. That said, Loam and Raven's Crime would empty an opponent's hand constantly, and of course Loam's entire point is to get lands back from my graveyard repeatedly. Dredging into Lingering Souls or Bloodsoaked Champion is an idea that makes me giddy. Being able to Loam back Flagstones of Trokair would even provide a ghetto Plains landfetch with more Smallpox abuse, but of course Loaming back fetchlands period is also powerful.

So as you can see, there's some very strong incentives there. Deciding what to cut for Life from the Loam and Raven's Crime entries is going to be tricky, as will balancing the landbase to splash Green. And if I do that, also, need to adjust the sideboard a lot. That's what led me here to you guys.

Molten Rain feels useful yet redundant, so I might trim 1 or 2 of it. Eidolon of the Great Revel is no question not something I want to run with Raven's Crime, but makes a good option for switching out with it. But then if I'm retracing Raven's Crime over and over and recasting Loams, I might want to put Young Pyromancer back in...gah.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ville Valo posted:

It sure is online. And as much as people like to pretend UR Delver isn't burn, it's burn. With Delver.

Epee Em posted:

I've spent the past year or so dicking up a Modern brew of my own

How do you beat a Deceiver Exarch?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

suicidesteve posted:

It sure is online. And as much as people like to pretend UR Delver isn't burn, it's burn. With Delver.

And counterspells. And card draw. (UR Delver isn't burn)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

It's not burn. it's much more interactive and fun to play than burn is.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ville Valo posted:

BTW, I asked Jim Davis a while ago why he brought Goblins to the open (he went on to Top 16) despite knowing how poorly positioned it was and after writing that article about how the deck was dead, and he said it was because he didn't have cards for anything else. Him getting 9th place with Burn doesn't really prove for or against Treasure Cruise for the deck since he's skilled enough to Top16 with a ham sandwich.

Also consider: finding a burn player willing to drop $400-$750 on paper Volcanic Islands is about as hard as finding a burn player that isn't a scrub, and we're asking for both combined.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AnacondaHL posted:

BTW, I asked Jim Davis a while ago why he brought Goblins to the open (he went on to Top 16) despite knowing how poorly positioned it was and after writing that article about how the deck was dead, and he said it was because he didn't have cards for anything else. Him getting 9th place with Burn doesn't really prove for or against Treasure Cruise for the deck since he's skilled enough to Top16 with a ham sandwich.

Also consider: finding a burn player willing to drop $400-$750 on paper Volcanic Islands is about as hard as finding a burn player that isn't a scrub, and we're asking for both combined.

I'm pretty sure with 8-10 fetches you can run 1 volcanic 3 cruise. You need to find 1 fetch by turn 3 or 4. Shouldn't be unreasonable

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

jassi007 posted:

I'm pretty sure with 8-10 fetches you can run 1 volcanic 3 cruise. You need to find 1 fetch by turn 3 or 4. Shouldn't be unreasonable

That is unreasonable. You can't just be dead to Wasteland. Almost half your games are going to be 2 land games by Turn 3, meaning if you need to fetch it has to be for the Volc in the first 2 turns (or the Volc is in your hand already). The whole reason of risking Wasteland is to be able to recover from those tempo plays by crushing them under Treasure Cruise.

I'm somewhat crazy for wanting only 2 Volcs, 3 is probably more safe since I haven't even considered the interaction with Fireblast, but it's pretty clear that 1 or 4 is not optimal.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

AnacondaHL posted:

I have a fully foiled out Burn deck, and own a playset of Volcanics (and every other blue dual). I just don't play that deck because it's never the best in the room. Any room. :(

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I know that black infect isn't the best infect but it's something I really like. I've managed to finally get some money to be able to make somewhat decent and replace proxies with actual cards. This is what I have, it's for modern. Most of my wins was dumping a bunch of infect on them on one turn with a Mutagenic Growth and/or Funeral Charm so I am going less of a control route and more of just a blaze of glory. I do have enough to get Thoughtseizes and Liliana of the Veils.

Deck: Modern Black Infect

//Creatures
4 Plague Stinger
4 Phyrexian Crusader
4 Phyrexian Vatmother

//Spells
3 Mutagenic Growth
4 Vampire's Bite
4 Funeral Charm
4 Night's Whisper
4 Victim of Night
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Apostle's Blessing

//Lands
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Inkmoth Nexus
3 Cathedral of War
14 Swamp

//Sideboard
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Extirpate
2 Pithing Needle
2 Wrench Mind
3 Disfigure
4 Vampire Nighthawk

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 26, 2014

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Vampire Bite seems solid.

Is there anything better than hand ? Myr?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Oraculum Animi posted:

I know that black infect isn't the best infect but it's something I really like. I've managed to finally get some money to be able to make somewhat decent and replace proxies with actual cards. This is what I have, it's for modern. Most of my wins was dumping a bunch of infect on them on one turn with a Mutagenic Growth and/or Funeral Charm so I am going less of a control route and more of just a blaze of glory. I do have Raven's Crime and Wrench Mind, I'm also not entirely sure about the sideboard.

Deck: Modern Black Infect

//Creatures
4 Plague Stinger
4 Phyrexian Crusader
4 Hand of the Praetors

//Spells
4 Mutagenic Growth
3 Vampire's Bite
4 Funeral Charm
4 Night's Whisper
4 Victim of Night
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Apostle's Blessing

//Lands
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Inkmoth Nexus
3 Cathedral of War
14 Swamp

//Sideboard
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Extirpate
2 Pithing Needle
2 Wrench Mind
4 Vampire Nighthawk
2 Ghost Quarter

I'm not sure you have enough infectors to make Hand of the Preator's second ability that great so Vatmother might be a better creature in that spot. Runechanter's pike seems like it could give you a big boost to a single creature since you have a lot of discard/kill spells. Disfigure is a great kill spell and it hits a ton of stuff in modern so you might want to try some of them somewhere.

Looking at some infect lists that have done well, http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1207309, http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1216513, and http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1209788 it seems like a more controlly route is doing better, but those lists are all pre-treasure cruise so I don't know how well that route would work now. Mono black just doesnt have enough pump spells to play like the green/bug lists, but Vampire's Bite is a decent amount of pump for the mana.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Bugsy posted:

I'm not sure you have enough infectors to make Hand of the Preator's second ability that great so Vatmother might be a better creature in that spot. Runechanter's pike seems like it could give you a big boost to a single creature since you have a lot of discard/kill spells. Disfigure is a great kill spell and it hits a ton of stuff in modern so you might want to try some of them somewhere.

Looking at some infect lists that have done well, http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1207309, http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1216513, and http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1209788 it seems like a more controlly route is doing better, but those lists are all pre-treasure cruise so I don't know how well that route would work now. Mono black just doesnt have enough pump spells to play like the green/bug lists, but Vampire's Bite is a decent amount of pump for the mana.

Mutagenic, Vampire, and Funeral Charm aren't enough? That's not including Praetors and Cathedral's continuous thing. Runechanter Pike and Disfigure are both good suggestions and I'll hem and haw over replacing Preator with Vatmother.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Vatmother is just so hard to kill. Hand is good if you have a bunch of two drops with infect. It's not as good when you're riding one guy to victory and killing anything in the way.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Deofuta posted:

4 Goblin Guide
4 Swiftspear
4 Wild Nacatl
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lightning Helix
4 Boros Charm
4 Tribal Flames
2 Treasure Cruise
2 Lava Spike

4 Wooded Foothills
4 Bloodstained Mires
4 Windswept Heaths
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Blood Crypt
1 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
1 Temple Garden
1 Plains
1 Island
1 Forest

Sideboard (WIP):

2 Anger of the Gods
2 Slaughter Games
3 Blood Moon
2 Rest in Peace
2 Wear/Tear
4 Molten Rain (Heavy Scapeshift/Tron meta)

It's fast, it's mean, and it's accessible for those without ZEN fetches (although B/R will be switched to R/W when I have the time or inclination.) If you are going to run 2 cmc burn spells, why not try and get them to do 5 damage a piece! Tribal Burn is fun times.

That's 56 cards main deck.

Rift bolts to finish it out?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Jam four Snapcasters in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Snacksmaniac posted: