Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Seems like 3 seasons is about the average length a TV show can go before the writers run out of good ideas and start flinging poo poo at the wall to see if it will keep people interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
louie is a good standup and a bad actor

insisting on managing every part of the show himself was just a bad idea because he's bad at it.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
louis ck is a lot like your average redditor/goon in that he's a white dude who thinks he's a lot more profound than he really is

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Yaldabaoth posted:

Seems like 3 seasons is about the average length a TV show can go before the writers run out of good ideas and start flinging poo poo at the wall to see if it will keep people interested

theres some exceptions but as an average thats not a bad number

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
pretty much any comedian who gets rich and famous for "telling it like it is" will inevitably crawl up their own rear end because they get it in their head that every thought they have is ground-breaking and important

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

louis ck's irl spare time is sailing his yacht up and down the east coast. that is what he does

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

...of SCIENCE! posted:

pretty much any comedian who gets rich and famous for "telling it like it is" will inevitably crawl up their own rear end because they get it in their head that every thought they have is ground-breaking and important

Bill Hicks died from this.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

There's a rumour that a well known comedian meets a comedy duo at a festival. They gush about how he's a big inspiration for them etc. He says, that's nice, how about we have sex? They say, what the gently caress, no, so he starts jacking off in front of them. They're too shocked to do anything about it.

http://gawker.com/5894527/which-beloved-comedian-likes-to-force-female-comics-to-watch-him-jerk-off

So, the current popular bet is that it was Louis CK and the female duo comedy act were likely to be G&O.

So then, later on, this comes out.

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/lydia_lunch_wants_to_be_louis_cks_friend_with_benefits

quote:

This was uploaded a couple of months ago, and how I missed it for this long I do not know, but No-Wave high priestess Lydia Lunch has posted a video openly soliciting a sexual relationship with the doughy ginger comedian Louis CK. I found it on the Vimeo page of photographer Jasmine Hurst, at which, if you’re a fan of Lunch, you should really have a look, as it also contains a recording of her Future Feminism monologue from a couple of weeks ago.

But back to the wanting to eff Louis CK (OK, specifically, she suggests jacking/jilling off in front of each other, but tomayto/tomahto)—it should be obvious that it’s a not-even-close-to-work-safe soliloquy, shot in a confessional-booth style, with lighting so blown out that Lunch looks disquietingly not unlike Jeff the Killer. Given that Lunch has been known to deploy sarcasm as a rhetorical tool from time to time, just once in a while, there might be some kind of satirical point to this, but I feel it can be enjoyed more fully just taken at face value. The balls are in your court, Louis.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i would jerk off in front of simon garfunkel and john oates

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

xutech posted:

There's a rumour that a well known comedian meets a comedy duo at a festival. They gush about how he's a big inspiration for them etc. He says, that's nice, how about we have sex? They say, what the gently caress, no, so he starts jacking off in front of them. They're too shocked to do anything about it.

http://gawker.com/5894527/which-beloved-comedian-likes-to-force-female-comics-to-watch-him-jerk-off

So, the current popular bet is that it was Louis CK and the female duo comedy act were likely to be G&O.

So then, later on, this comes out.

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/lydia_lunch_wants_to_be_louis_cks_friend_with_benefits

Louis C.K. and G&O sounds way too juicy to be true, but gently caress if I don't want it to be true.

Louis C.K. does seem like he's hit the apex of his ability to be successful while still being "insightful" and "ground-breaking", although the fat girl monologue in that one episode was brilliant and depressingly true full stop.

Harald posted:

i would jerk off in front of simon garfunkel and john oates

Yeah that's the joke of their name good job gold star

Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW
Have you heard about this Seinfeld guy? Heard he's pretty funny.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
theres like a dozen comedians i can immediately think of that would jerk off in front of women before i think its louie

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Sintax posted:

theres like a dozen comedians i can immediately think of that would jerk off in front of women before i think its louie

i agree but it could still be louis ck

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

i agree but it could still be louis ck

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Also, Bill Cosby drugged and raped 13 women.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Agag posted:

Also, Bill Cosby drugged and raped 13 women.

hosed up but true

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Whoever it was the important thing here is to take a trashy anonymous gossip story seriously and base your opinion of a person on it.

Just an average guys take

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I liked that episode when he took his kids to see his 100+ year old great aunt or whatever. He goes on and on and on about how hard/interesting the old days were and that his kids should listen deeply to what this woman has to say because she's old and therefore wise. Then when they get there she says friend of the family about 100 times.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Guy Fleegman posted:

Have you heard about this Seinfeld guy? Heard he's pretty funny.

There's a great moment on that lovely web show he does "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" where he's with Mel Brooks and Mel is like "I don't like his comedy, but his marketing is really impressive. That guy -uh Louis C.K." and Seinfeld is immediately having loving none of it and goes "I didn't come here to shill for Louis C.K."

Pretty big :iceburn: all told.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I liked that episode when he took his kids to see his 100+ year old great aunt or whatever. He goes on and on and on about how hard/interesting the old days were and that his kids should listen deeply to what this woman has to say because she's old and therefore wise. Then when they get there she says friend of the family about 100 times.

That was a really good episode, season 1 I think

Season 1 was extremely good, when his date runs off on an helicopter is a top 10 TV moment for me

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

There's a great moment on that lovely web show he does "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" where he's with Mel Brooks and Mel is like "I don't like his comedy, but his marketing is really impressive. That guy -uh Louis C.K." and Seinfeld is immediately having loving none of it and goes "I didn't come here to shill for Louis C.K."

Pretty big :iceburn: all told.

Then Seinfeld did a guest spot on Louis' show.

Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW
When Louie is out on a date in a diner and he's confronted by those "bullies", seriously the tension in that scene was palpable. It was not only good acting but it was well written and realistic as hell.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

in the first few episodes he goes on a lovely date with this girl and everything goes terrible and at the end he tries to kiss her and she runs away and jumps in a helicopter

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Guy Fleegman posted:

When Louie is out on a date in a diner and he's confronted by those "bullies", seriously the tension in that scene was palpable. It was not only good acting but it was well written and realistic as hell.

The show worked really well as a series of tight little vignettes. I don't think he was able to sustain the longer story arcs. Also, numerous instances of women chasing after this reluctant ginger blob is a stretch.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Oh no the comedian stopped doing comedy

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
the show would be pretty good if he'd actually paired up with some talented cintematography people.

louis ck is funny but he has the visual artistic sense of a potato

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Guy Fleegman posted:

that was a really good episode

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

yea he did great poo poo like the catholic shame episode and the diner episode, which were cool vignettes but his attempt at an entire season of drama was not good. i get what he trying to do, its just that its bad as art

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Agag posted:

Also, numerous instances of women chasing after this reluctant ginger blob is a stretch.

Since he hit it big he undoubtedly has hot groupies that he fucks on tour. Sad fact of entertainment-- stupid pussy chases after the stars.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

bubblelubble posted:

Oh no the comedian stopped doing comedy

Who are you to judge what makes me sad

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

Since he hit it big he undoubtedly has hot groupies that he fucks on tour. Sad fact of entertainment-- stupid pussy chases after the stars.

No doubt, plus he's rich now.

But the show is based around him being a shlub.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And that's exactly why I said I think this show's reached it's apex. He's too far away from schlubsville to really be insightful or genuine from that perspective. Now he needs to evolve or die.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

so it's time for the louie backlash

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i watched about half of the first two seasons & stopped bc he was too mopey

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

And that's exactly why I said I think this show's reached it's apex. He's too far away from schlubsville to really be insightful or genuine from that perspective. Now he needs to evolve or die.

Exactly.

argondamn posted:

so it's time for the louie backlash

That's been going on for a while. I still like his standup, I hope he didn't jack off in front of anybody against their will.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
agreed, stop watching it 5 eps into S04. what a bad show now. tthe first few seasons were comedy gold tho

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Remember when Tig Notaro got cancer? That was pretty funny maybe they should give her a show instead.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Agag posted:

That's been going on for a while. I still like his standup, I hope he didn't jack off in front of anybody against their will.

Yeah this is my point. I don't really have anything against Louis C.K. but if he really wants to inherit the mantle of George Carlin like he so clearly wants to it's time for him to put up or shut up now that his initial climb to fame has peaked.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
problem is that the show has bad pacing because louie isn't a film man and should have left the parts he doesn't know how to do to the professionals instead of making Babby's First TV Show and getting it on the air because he's famous enough to bargain a good contract with Fox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Agag posted:

i watched a little of the first season and other seasons here and there. his stand-up specials have yet to disappoint me and i never really expected a stand-up comedian to make a good tv show, but what i've seen is pretty funny even though it's really raw and each episode is like a really long setup for what is usually a mildly amusing punchline. but i bet if he tried to do a long romance thing i bet the show did turn to poo poo.

all i'm saying is i'm probably not gonna hate the stand-up comedy dude for not making good tv anymore

• Locked thread