Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

If they hate America so much why don't they just stay in Argentina forever? Normally the whole "Love it or leave it" argument is stupid because most people don't have the resources or connections needed to pack up and move to another country, but these guys DO have the resources and connections needed to just pack up and leave.

Or is that what they've already done? Did Jan and sunglasses guy move in with her dad because America is such a Hellhole? I can't remember and don't hate myself enough to search through the Day by Day archives to find the answer.

Oh my God, He's still making lovely passive aggressive insults about transpeople? Is this all the comic is now for eternity? Or does it just feel that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If they hate America so much why don't they just stay in Argentina forever? Normally the whole "Love it or leave it" argument is stupid because most people don't have the resources or connections needed to pack up and move to another country, but these guys DO have the resources and connections needed to just pack up and leave.

Or is that what they've already done? Did Jan and sunglasses guy move in with her dad because America is such a Hellhole? I can't remember and don't hate myself enough to search through the Day by Day archives to find the answer.

Yes Damon and Jan did move to Argentina, but that's Sam's sister Sky, not Jan. You can tell because of her waitstaff uniform and non-purple skin color.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Dear Drinky Duck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuiX9mlDY9E

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Voyager I posted:

Any odds Tinsley will face career fallout for spending literally weeks going on and on and on with transphobic bigotry in what is supposed to be a mainstream comedy strip, or do trans issues just not have the support for a proper backlash yet?
If the antisemitism couldn't do it, nothing will.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

At some point the papers he's syndicated in have to stop and go "What the hell are you doing?"

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Darkman Fanpage posted:

At some point the papers he's syndicated in have to stop and go "What the hell are you doing?"

I think political cartoonists are paid by the metre, I don't think editors really read them unless they get complaints from a group anyone cares about. Trans issues barely rate so it's open season for the time being.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Gilganixon posted:

I think political cartoonists are paid by the metre, I don't think editors really read them unless they get complaints from a group anyone cares about. Trans issues barely rate so it's open season for the time being.

I realize this but from a value for your dollar point of view this is bonkers. This guy is telling the same lovely joke over and over!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Darkman Fanpage posted:

These strips are making it past his editor, and I'm sure the paper doesn't read them when they print them, so the paper will only care if they get a bunch of angry letters about his comic. I'm thinking most people either don't care enough to write a letter, or don't see any reason to write a letter in the first place.

That said, Tinsley has finally gotten to me with these comics and I wish bad things on him.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

e: nvm

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 21, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

These strips are making it past his editor
p. sure the job of "editor" of the funny pages consists of checking to make sure no-one's submitted a comic with a dick or the word "gently caress" in it.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I realize this but from a value for your dollar point of view this is bonkers. This guy is telling the same lovely joke over and over!

He's also just stamping his duck stamp and writing something hateful and/or dumb about something that happened two weeks ago on a white piece of paper. No one reads it: the value for money is that putting Tinsley in your paper means no one complains about Doonesbury.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gilganixon posted:

He's also just stamping his duck stamp and writing something hateful and/or dumb about something that happened two weeks ago on a white piece of paper. No one reads it: the value for money is that putting Tinsley in your paper means no one complains about Doonesbury.

Is Doonesbury even that liberal? Seems like a disproportionate response.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Triskelli posted:

Apparently it's considered to be a liberal cartoon. That reminded me that this garbage exists, if that counts as evidence.

The thinking probably doesn't go any further than "we need one conservative for each liberal cartoon so we can't be considered biased", and I seriously doubt they bother with the content past that.

Probably Asay would be a better choice for a paper but he's dead or something. Stantis is insane and not even as mean as the duck, so if you want a right-wing page filler the duck is your most reliable option.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

TetsuoTW posted:

p. sure the job of "editor" of the funny pages consists of checking to make sure no-one's submitted a comic with a dick or the word "gently caress" in it.

Well yeah that's what I meant, the editor is only really looking to make sure there's nothing past PG rated, and as lovely as Tinsley's views are, they're not inappropriate enough for the editor to tell him to stop, and the paper doesn't care as long as they don't get letters threatening to cancel subscriptions.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

TetsuoTW posted:

They don't even think about it that much, if anything they just want to make sure it's not a repeat from the day before.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Triskelli posted:

Doonesbury is viewed as hardcore liberal because Trudeau called for the impeachment of Nixon and thought Reagan was harmful idiot. Also he thought the invasion of Iraq was a bad idea and that Bush wasn't that smart. Thus the need for Drinky Duck.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Saint Sputnik posted:

They don't even think about it that much, if anything they just want to make sure it's not a repeat from the day before.
If you're running Mallard Fillmore, how would you even know?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Assuming it isn't already on their radar, you could always try and stir up tumblr into a letter writing campaign.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Here's the thing with Tinsley re: getting in trouble: literally no one gives a poo poo about transpeople. No one. It's awful and horrendous, but they don't. A good number of people would look at these comics and give a small chuckle, because transpeople are still a punchline to the average person. He won't get in trouble because to most people, there's nothing to punish him for.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

And to give Wiley poo poo if he dares use the word, "drat" on the editorial page.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

Sure. And if you think THAT looks Aryan, remind me to post some Nazi stuff proper when I get back to my computer.

That Polish officer just doesn't look all that Polish at first glance.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Saint Sputnik posted:

Here's the wellspring of that guy's poo poo
http://www.memecenter.com/gafcomics

This is basically an unironic Kelly with less detail and weirder art.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The guy's art just makes it all the creepier.

e: Yup

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 21, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

El Scotch posted:

I think I threw up a little in my mouth. Boy she sure is cheery for someone outrunning rapists. Just a grand old time.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

El Scotch posted:

ugh, luckily Gamergate doesn't count as political...

I hope

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Saint Sputnik posted:

Here's the wellspring of that guy's poo poo
http://www.memecenter.com/gafcomics

He's like Pigman Mk II. He seems to be pretty progressive on most issues except anything involving women or feminism.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

El Scotch posted:

It is half creepy and/or hateful poo poo and half saccharine redditbait.

broken clock, twice a day etc, but these muslim folks need to get some sleep

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Pretty sure the guy in that comic with Jennifer Lawrence is supposed to be the main character from the game Watch Dogs

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

It is half creepy and/or hateful poo poo and half saccharine redditbait.

broken clock, twice a day etc, but these muslim folks need to get some sleep

I was thinking more 420 praise be to Allah erryday.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I was thinking more 420 praise be to Allah erryday.

I find very often with this subset of nerds an innate dislike of drugs because it's what the cool kids did in high school and thus a terrible thing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

Pretty sure the guy in that comic with Jennifer Lawrence is supposed to be the main character from the game Watch Dogs

This actually explains everything. It's a video game joke, guys.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I find very often with this subset of nerds an innate dislike of drugs because it's what the cool kids did in high school and thus a terrible thing.

See also: an innate dislike of beer because beer is what j-j-juh-juh-JOCKS drink :ohdear:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

El Scotch posted:

This joke is older than any of your grandparents

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

loquacius posted:

See also: an innate dislike of beer because beer is what j-j-juh-juh-JOCKS drink :ohdear:

"Pot? Alcohol? I don't let anything alter my mind or body, I want to keep it pure, unlike the weaklings who check out of life." *Chugs third bottle of Mountain Dew that day, goes back to 8 hour gaming marathon*

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
New Adarsh Balak

It's actually a mural, which is why there is the little outlet/light-switch on the right.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

El Scotch posted:

I kinda like this joke though. :shobon:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

loquacius posted:

This actually explains everything. It's a video game joke, guys.

I'm not excusing the joke, I'm just trying to explain the context a bit.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Fyi, Tinsley does the "Asians and college requirements" arc every year without fail.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

RyokoTK posted:

I kinda like this joke though. :shobon:

Heh, rural folk like to rape their siblings. Comedy gold right there. :downsrim:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm not excusing the joke, I'm just trying to explain the context a bit.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say anything like that, and the joke is still in terrible taste, but it means he wasn't trying to make a statement on the hacks like we thought, he was just trying to mash together a current event and a vidjagame like his hero Tim Buckley or our jolly friends at Penny Arcade might do and it didn't really work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rorus Raz posted:

Fyi, Tinsley does the "Asians and college requirements" arc every year without fail.

Well, you gotta have one week of freebies. I mean, Halloween only gets you two at the most, and you can maybe get three out of the current President playing golf.

• Locked thread