Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Karol is a tiny Lloyd, and Sorey is an older Lloyd.

Character designs, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

Character designs, man.
the only real similarity is 'spiky brown hair'

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

the only real similarity is 'spiky brown hair'

i too am Lloyd, it seems

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I can almost see Sorey and Lloyd based on clothes alone, though Sorey's shirt doesn't have the Mickey Mouse buttons all up and down. And it only applies to Sorey before he gets his Shepherd's mantle thingie he's always pictured in.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

i too am Lloyd, it seems

From the wanted poster, maybe

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Volt Catfish posted:

Character designs, man.

Lloyd is older than Sorey though.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Momomo posted:

Lloyd is older than Sorey though.

No way Sorey is less than 17. He might be 17, but I don't buy he's 16 and less is right out.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Caphi posted:

Actually Zagi's guards just brought out a problem I've been having with the combat, which is that in addition to everything responding faster then you, everything moves faster than you. So sometimes enemies will just decide to walk away from you and there is very little you can do. The gargantuan attack delay and completely impotent dashing (I still don't know what Critical Guard actually does; do you counter with it?) means that basically any attempt to intercept (say, Azure Edge or Destruction Field) is going to lag you more than it lags your target. I think... god, the dash-and-drop move, it's probably Wolf Fang Strike or something, that one works, but dropping an enemy means your chain is over (even if I eventually get an Arcane Arte that picks it up, that's the end of the chain in itself). Thing is, none of that works on Zagi anyway because he's either moving or hitting you and the ironguards that you're trying to break also prevent you from getting off more than a hit or two at a time.

Delay tangent: if Destruction Field and the earth shock one are supposed to be used when I'm surrounded, why has every enemy I'm engaged with already hit me three times in the side before they can actually do any damage?

I don't completely hate Vesperia, I swear, but the EFR-LMBS moves like a whale.

And while I'm at it, OVL 1 doesn't actually make you uninterruptible, even though every boss I've seen trigger Overlimit gets that ability. What's the point of triggering it if it's not going to keep me from getting hit while I'm doing a triple backflip before every move?

p.s. every second Zagi spends talking about how he wants to kill kill kill is a wasted second as far as I'm concerned, and he's such an obnoxious fight that I'd actually rather have another kraken or something.

I've a lot of experience with both Vesperia versions, so I can suggest a few things:

• Your movement speed is determined by your agility stat, so you can get a boost either by equipped Agility+ skills or equipping accessories that boost it.
  • Crushing Eagle, the earth shock one (which, yes, is a decent-ish weapon when you're surrounded but it's got a rather short range), does make the enemy stand but you'll need a skill to allow a character to chain two Arcane Artes together. Otherwise, I'd advise against using knockdown artes (such as Wolf Strike/Azure Wolf Strike).
  • OVL 1's main draw is that it allows you to use any arte you want, in any order (so, then, you'd be able to use those two Arcane Artes in a row and whatnot) but, as you noted, bosses can easily jump out of your chain. With that in mind, I'd advise OVL1 to mainly be Rita's thing as her spells are broken as all hell (spamming Splash, in the early game, will easily break a bosses armor and force him to stay downed). FYI: the other OVL levels give you more effects: 2 increases damage to downed enemies, 3 reduces your TP cost to 0 and 4 gives you that super armor and reduces all incoming damage to 0.
  • Rita's especially good against Zagi because most of her spells have no travel time, so they can cut him off before he runs around and allow you team to gang up on him.

On the Sorey topic, his picture seems older than Lloyd...but I've learned not to guess the age of anime characters from their appearance.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I thought we knew from the start that Sorey was 15, maybe I was just thinking of Jude. No way in hell is he older than Lloyd.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Jude was 15? :psyduck:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

Jude was 15? :psyduck:
Yes. Jude and Leia were 15, Milla was 20, Alvin was 26, Elize was 12, and Rowen was 62.

Also, the ToZ site doesn't have an age for Sorey.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
15 and in Med School. Education in Rashugal is weird.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 21, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

What? :psyduck:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Well, Jude's about a head shorter than all the NPC models in Talim at least. So he's probably young even for them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iunno, it's pretty easy to buy. He's a tiny lil' guy, still kind of awkward, and he's still in school. I mean, it's med school, but fantasy land probably doesn't have the same education system the real world does.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

Yes. Jude and Leia were 15, Milla was 20, Alvin was 26, Elize was 12, and Rowen was 62.

Really? I could've sworn he was eighteen.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

You heal people with magic and poo poo, so hes old enough.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
My points of comparison for Sorey are Cress and Lloyd, who are both 17 (as is Luke, who also seems like he fits). He's surely older than, say, Jude, Ruca, or Kyle (15), and I'd put him above Shing (16), but he's not quite, say, Reid (18) (I had Veigue here but Veigue looks and sounds way too old to be 18 and in Graces' dub he sounds like he's 30), let alone Stan (19) or Yuri (20).

Of course I had to look all of this up, why?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I still dont understand how Judith is 19

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

who really cares about JRPG ages?

half the time they aren't even in the game and are in some side materials as whatever age is deemed marketeable

that said my favorite jrpg age is how Tear is 16, and it's incredibly obvious it's only to make her younger than Luke

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

half the time they aren't even in the game and are in some side materials as whatever age is deemed marketeable

that said my favorite jrpg age is how Tear is 16, and it's incredibly obvious it's only to make her younger than Luke

And younger than Arietta.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Endorph posted:

Iunno, it's pretty easy to buy. He's a tiny lil' guy, still kind of awkward, and he's still in school.

Well, it's not like we don't usually hear about teenage geniuses making into college in our own world...most of them don't know kung-fu, though.

Endorph posted:

I still dont understand how Judith is 19

Really? I think the Vesperia characters all look the age they're supposed to be.

Judith's voice is what sounds only a few years too old but it's not THAT much.

vvvv Edit: Am I going crazy or did they actually call Anise a Puppeter (パペッター) instead of Puppeteer?

Double Edit: Jade is a Fonimer! :science:

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 21, 2014

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't know who actually voiced Tear originally (this is the spot where I'd look it up and say something playfully snide about it, but in the process I found out that the party members have silly Engrish "class" names and they're too good (Tear's is "crooner" I'm serious)) but I played Abyss in English and don't remember even thinking she's a teenager.

e: I was also reminded of "Fon Master Slay" and I hope you enjoy being reminded of that as much as I am.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't think Jude being in med school is all that weird. All his other classmates are the same age as him, so I figured it was just normal in that world for kids to pick a profession like that sooner. This is also a world where you can magically heal people too, so I figure the ones with potential are snatched up early.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

I do, insomuch as finding out makes me go "wait, seriously?"

Cake Attack posted:

Hey, that's news to me. I never really gave much stock into the ages of characters in these games, aside from Etrian Odyssey where more the female versions of characters look like they're seven, I'm just mildly surprised that they're younger than I expected.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I just add 5-7 years for any given JRPG age and go with that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chaotic Flame posted:

I just add 5-7 years for any given JRPG age and go with that.
People bring this up a lot and it still only makes sense if you cherry pick your examples. I mean, Lloyd as 17 makes sense, not so much Lloyd as 23.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

anime ages

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Nobody knows who voiced Tear in Abyss. She remained anonymous, much like Naoto in the original Persona 4.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Excels posted:

Nobody knows who voiced Tear in Abyss. She remained anonymous, much like Naoto in the original Persona 4.

Nicole Balick (a.k.a. Nicole Karerr).

She also did Stella in Legendia, girl Morgan in Fire Emblem Awakening and some others (like Naoto in Persona 4).

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Brunom1 posted:

Nicole Balick (a.k.a. Nicole Karerr).

She also did Stella in Legendia, girl Morgan in Fire Emblem Awakening and some others (like Naoto in Persona 4).

She's been voiced by like four different people across several projects, I know the original voicework is mixed in with others for Golden and Arena/Ultimax.

But I thought it was a big mystery? :confused: Is this common knowledge or did it come out recently? Google gives me nothing but speculation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excels posted:

She's been voiced by like four different people across several projects, I know the original voicework is mixed in with others for Golden and Arena/Ultimax.

But I thought it was a big mystery? :confused: Is this common knowledge or did it come out recently? Google gives me nothing but speculation.
Iunno, she's been listed on Wikipedia as her for at least a couple of years.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

Iunno, she's been listed on Wikipedia as her for at least a couple of years.

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Nicole-Karrer/

quote:

According to Erin Fitzgerald, Nicole Karrer didn't voice Naoto.
https://twitter.com/ErinFitzgerald/status/481600202067824640

although her voicing Tear seems to be true.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I meant as Tear's voice, not Naoto's.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

The most surprising thing is that Rowen is actually old and not just anime-old.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KoB posted:

The most surprising thing is that Rowen is actually old and not just anime-old.
Anime-old is Raven. Rowen's got white hair and tons of wrinkles and complains about his hip, it'd be kind of hard for him to be 35 or something.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Jade complained about his hip all the time, but he was Jade.

Not only does Zesty's site not have ages, it doesn't have last names, even though they seem to exist (at least for Alisha, who may be special by virtue of nobility).

Speaking of the Zesty site, I still don't get Zaveid. The interface has room for four bindable Celestials and Wind Step is specifically identified as being Dezel's power (e: and they showed his Choirals and Aspect right after Edna) - but actually, Zaveid is grouped with Rose in the character list. He has a weapon entry, which NPCs including Maltran and Sergei don't, but that weapon is a ??? (conspicuously declining even to say that it's Siegfried). And someone pointed out that if you split the box art in half, Lailah and Sorey are in the center and the others can, to a point, be divided by race (Alisha and Rose on the left, Edna and Mikleo on the right). Which would make sense and be thematic, but Zaveid is on the right and Dezel is on the left...

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Is there some sort of trick to recording enemy data because no matter how many of these goddamn Lizitars I fight it just won't get in there

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

alcharagia posted:

Is there some sort of trick to recording enemy data because no matter how many of these goddamn Lizitars I fight it just won't get in there

What, like using a Magic Lens? Why do you want to record enemy data anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Because if I record two more enemies I'll get Enemy Sage and that's like 100 more Grade points. This matters to me. Argghhhhh