Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Regnevelc posted:

He should be thanking Denard Robinson for that one..
D-Rob was huge but honestly the game ball goes to the defense in general and probably Paul Posluszny in particular. Or maybe Telvin Smith, he had a huge game. The Jaguars D has been playing lights-out for the last three weeks.

Who knows how long that'll last though, especially now that Poz is on IR with a pec injury and Andre Branch, second in the team in sacks with three, is out for around six weeks with a groin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

JT Jag posted:

D-Rob was huge but honestly the game ball goes to the defense in general and probably Paul Posluszny in particular. Or maybe Telvin Smith, he had a huge game. The Jaguars D has been playing lights-out for the last three weeks.
Senderrick Marks, too. They called his name a ton

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Sour Diesel posted:

When Jimmy started out he was a good physical cover-corner but he was constantly getting burned by double moves. That was really his only obstacle and it took him a while to shake it off.

But yea Smith being a top corner in the league is pretty loving rad. If Will Hill ends up being decent in coverage, then the only real weak link on defense is Elam at SS. That's a position that we can afford to have dogshit at with the defense coming along so well.

Also you should temper your enthusiasm given that the metric here are game grades that don't really take into account the importance of the play itself. By WPA, smith ranks 14th (0.47) and he ranks 28th among CBs in EPA/G (2.19). He's 8th in Success Count (18) and Passes Defensed (8). So solid, but not "best-in-the-NFL" right now according to advanced analytics.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

Also you should temper your enthusiasm given that the metric here are game grades that don't really take into account the importance of the play itself. By WPA, smith ranks 14th (0.47) and he ranks 28th among CBs in EPA/G (2.19). He's 8th in Success Count (18) and Passes Defensed (8). So solid, but not "best-in-the-NFL" right now according to advanced analytics.

yea but he's #1 in Heart so you can take your nerdstats and let me like my cornerback whom i used to hate

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I feel comfortable saying that Jimmy Smith is a top ten corner. The problem is that he hasn't been tested as much due to other weaknesses in the secondary and he has looked even better than he is based on traditional stats so he has a truly amazing bargaining position going into the coming extension talks. Thankfully Torrey Smith is in almost the exact opposite position so I'm hopeful that we can land both of them long term for around 13 mil a year.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Ehud posted:

@AdamHBeasley: Jay Cutler, asked what's different about preparing for a home game vs. a road game: "We don't get on a plane."

I don't give a poo poo what anyone says, Jay Cutler is a gift to the NFL and the bears.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

From FO's weekly clutch encounters article:

quote:

The Jets now stand at a league-worst 0-5 on game-winning drive opportunities in 2014 after a league-best 5-2 record last season.

Also from the comments, I think this is my new favorite obscure as gently caress rule:

quote:

Rule 4-7-1-d: A team is not permitted to conserve time inside of one minute of either half by ... throwing a backward pass [which includes laterals] out of bounds;

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sour Diesel posted:

yea but he's #1 in Heart so you can take your nerdstats and let me like my cornerback whom i used to hate

Oh like him all you like. You guys were complaining that you were surprised he was #1 and I'm telling you it's OK because he's probably not, just better than he was and above average.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

Oh like him all you like. You guys were complaining that you were surprised he was #1 and I'm telling you it's OK because he's probably not, just better than he was and above average.

It's fine I'm just being an rear end. I knew that stat picture was cherry picked to show him #1 in something, which is why I just mentioned him as a "top corner".

Jimmy's a pretty awesome physical corner. The funny thing about him is he'll usually let an easy interception bounce off of his hands, and most of his interceptions are from just ripping the ball out of the receiver's hands while he's catching it.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Brent grimes is the best cornerback in the nfl *

* says both miko grimes and the sex cake shop in Miami

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

TheChirurgeon posted:

By WPA, smith ranks 14th (0.47) and he ranks 28th among CBs in EPA/G (2.19). He's 8th in Success Count (18) and Passes Defensed (8). So solid, but not "best-in-the-NFL" right now according to advanced analytics.

Does anyone have any idea what this means?

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

it's a cry for help

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

African AIDS cum posted:

It means he's not going to have any lunch money any time soon

(it also means Smith is a good CB but probably not the best in the league)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

African AIDS cum posted:

It means you're illiterate

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

It means you're illiterate

Actually, his SPD is ranked roughly around a comfortable 109 amongst active posters. The funny thing is, His DZB/G success rate has been about 8% which is fascinating at this level in his career. With this in mind, it puts him in ~11th place standing if you look at his PFM (11). Pretty solid but all signs [obviously] point that he's reached his ceiling.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

African AIDS cum posted:

Alls I know is that my Success Count is in the loving toilet

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Last night was my first ever regular season Steelers game, and holy poo poo Steelers fans really are the worst people on earth. In the first half the yinzers on all sides of us were bitching non-stop about how we need to fire every single coach employed by the team. The dude behind me had the screechiest yinzer voice I've ever heard, like a young Myron Cope talking in falsetto. People were already booing when the team was only down 10-0.

At halftime we moved into empty seats by some other people we knew in a different section and I got stuck behind some sort of slug/yinzer hybrid that slowly and quietly released noxious rear end fumes the entire second half. About 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter the good-will acquired by scoring 24 points in 3 minutes had been spent, and people in this new section starting bitching about how terrible the Steelers are, while they were still winning. Also they are all fat.

Hmm, sorry your first game went like that. :smith:

I went to my first game last year, Chi@Pit SNF, and it rocked. Walked up to some strangers who were tailgating and joined them for some beers and burgers before the game, during the breaks in action we chatted with a pair of old ladies up in nosebleeds who've been holding season tickets since the Bradshaw years, and my Dad decked out in Bears gear got into some good-natured ribbing with some locals which descended them doing dueling chants of DA BEARS repeatedly.

Dunno if you got unlucky or I was fortunate. Maybe the lovely fans skipped the late game featuring the winless Steelers.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

football fuckerman posted:

Alls I know is that my Success Count is in the loving toilet

Browns.stts

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kalli posted:

From FO's weekly clutch encounters article:
The Jets have only 3 takeaways through 7 games which is the worst rate I could find in the NFL going back at least 10 years.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

TheChirurgeon posted:

haha look at the little noob, passes defended is not an advanced analytic how dare you lump it in with these other metrics

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Kalli posted:

Patriots fans will boo if they're not winning by more then a touchdown at halftime.

The stadium crowd is really, really spoiled.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Remember back in the late 90's where people thought football would be dead and Millenials were going to take up "Extreme Sports" as their sport of choice?

Amazing how wrong that prediction was.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

FuzzySkinner posted:

Remember back in the late 90's where people thought football would be dead and Millenials were going to take up "Extreme Sports" as their sport of choice?

Amazing how wrong that prediction was.

I remember thinking the X-Games were going to be as big as the Olympics in just a few years. Also, I stopped watching the X-Games after they took out my favorite event: the Eco Race.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Are we millenials

Is that what our generation is called

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Are we millenials

We sound like lame flowers.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

We sound like lame flowers.

I guess it's better than Generation NEXT or Gen-Y or something

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

I guess it's better than Generation NEXT or Gen-Y or something

Only one in one thousand will bloom.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I prefer the "hosed generation."

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I prefer the "hosed generation."

That was Gen X

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Rad Dude Generation for Cool Folk

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I prefer the term "unemployed."

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

FizFashizzle posted:

Probably a more accurate descriptor.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Are we millenials

Maybe your generation.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

talking 'bout my generation

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I don't remember much "football is dying" talk in '98 but I was ten years old so it probably went over my head. At any rate, medical technology have advanced enough since then that it's a much more real debate but you don't need me to tell you that.

FizFashizzle posted:

Hey my fiance was watching Hulu and I saw your 5-second appearance on Red Band Society, how are you not bathing in money by now

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
What character was he, does he interact with Handsome Doctor or Hot Nurse at all?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

ulmont posted:

Maybe your generation.

Point and laugh at the old person

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Point and laugh at the old person

:lol: :regd07: :lol:

Oh poo poo, it's past my bedtime...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

What character was he, does he interact with Handsome Doctor or Hot Nurse at all?

He is Hot Nurse.

• Locked thread