Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Hey guys, what'd you think of the Charles Dexter Ward kickstarter not making what it should?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/agustincordes/h-p-lovecrafts-the-case-of-charles-dexter-ward

Looks like a great project to me. I'd chalk it up to asking too much, and the public not willing to fork over cash before their first kickstarter, Asylum, is completed.

It's a little worrying to me since I'm actually in pre-production on a Lovecraftian-spoofing adventure we'd love to kickstart, and I really want all good things Lovecraft to succeed, and it looks like Charley Ward ain't gonna make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
MNC was a terrific fusion of the shooter and MOBA models, practically seamless, but they decided it wasn't MOBA enough and opted to make SMNC more like a traditional MOBA; arenas were bigger so you spent more time slogging your way to the actual fight, there were more clearly identifiable "lanes", characters took a poo poo-ton more punishment before going down, and you could no longer repair or rebuild defense towers. MNC had exciting turnarounds because the arenas were small and the combatants were lethal, but SMNC is a zero-sum slog typical of most MOBAs where the game is decided about halfway through the actual match, and then the rest is just watching one team get ground down. (Unsurprisingly, losing teams would leak players, since rewards were tied to victory.)

You quickly ended up with dedicated teams just dominating and no room for newbies and pubbers to play. Add in a monetization scheme where people were rewarded for throwing money at the game - a lot of money - and it drove away the casual crowd that keeps a game like that alive.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Alien Rope Burn posted:

MNC was a terrific fusion of the shooter and MOBA models, practically seamless, but they decided it wasn't MOBA enough and opted to make SMNC more like a traditional MOBA; arenas were bigger so you spent more time slogging your way to the actual fight, there were more clearly identifiable "lanes", characters took a poo poo-ton more punishment before going down, and you could no longer repair or rebuild defense towers. MNC had exciting turnarounds because the arenas were small and the combatants were lethal, but SMNC is a zero-sum slog typical of most MOBAs where the game is decided about halfway through the actual match, and then the rest is just watching one team get ground down. (Unsurprisingly, losing teams would leak players, since rewards were tied to victory.)

You quickly ended up with dedicated teams just dominating and no room for newbies and pubbers to play. Add in a monetization scheme where people were rewarded for throwing money at the game - a lot of money - and it drove away the casual crowd that keeps a game like that alive.

And that's without the Bitcoin miners

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrBims posted:

Thank god, that gives me some hope that gamers are starting to develop some self-control.

:ironicat:

I suspect that we might have hit peak kickstarter, and people have realised that promises are generally vapor, lending weight to the idea that publishers might be the necessary boot up the arse that developers deserve, if not entirely need.

We're watching some fairly ludicrous examples of people overreaching spectacularly, especially on their first game, and the outright scams have started to shake out.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Mr Underhill posted:

Hey guys, what'd you think of the Charles Dexter Ward kickstarter not making what it should?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/agustincordes/h-p-lovecrafts-the-case-of-charles-dexter-ward

Looks like a great project to me. I'd chalk it up to asking too much, and the public not willing to fork over cash before their first kickstarter, Asylum, is completed.

It's a little worrying to me since I'm actually in pre-production on a Lovecraftian-spoofing adventure we'd love to kickstart, and I really want all good things Lovecraft to succeed, and it looks like Charley Ward ain't gonna make it.

I hate to say it but people are getting tired of boring Lovecraft games, so unless you have a really good game (and pitch!) planned you'll have a challenging time.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Eruonen posted:

I hate to say it but people are getting tired of boring Lovecraft games, so unless you have a really good game (and pitch!) planned you'll have a challenging time.

As well they should. Why would people be funding boring games irrespective of their setting?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Mr Underhill posted:

1. The first kickstarter not being finished.
2. Some bullshit about "officially licensed Lovecraft" when Lovecraft's works are in the public domain.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

CottonWolf posted:

As well they should. Why would people be funding boring games irrespective of their setting?

Because they have zombies in them, duh.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

HJE-Cobra posted:

Yeah, holy crap, his deleted tweet actually said “I am going to kill gabe newell. He is going to die.”

Jeez, I could understand being frustrated with Valve for whatever reason, but uh... you don't say that. Going all Internet Toughguy as a random dude on an internet forum is dumb enough, but posting under your real name about business colleagues on official channels and saying that is a total fuckup.

Like, I know internet toughguys threaten to kill their opponents all the time anonymously on the internet, but they're not using their real name and talking to their boss or whatever. That carries a different level of gravitas.

He has now been ousted from his own company.

quote:

My temper and tendency to use twitter to vent has been a consistent problem since I entered the games industry, and I just can’t do it. I don’t have the willpower necessary to be the “face” of a company. If I do continue to work in games it’ll be as an anonymous 1 of 1000 at some lovely corporation, not the most public figure of a single digit sized team.

Well with an attitude like that I can't wait to see what "lovely corporation" hires him.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

dijon du jour posted:

Because they have zombies in them, duh.

You've got me there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

macnbc posted:

He has now been ousted from his own company.

Well with an attitude like that I can't wait to see what "lovely corporation" hires him.

Yeah, my first thought reading those lines you quoted was "oh good, he clearly learned nothing from this"

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

macnbc posted:

I suppose handing out Large Coke's with Monopoly scratch tags on them at McDonald's technically counts as "working" in "games."

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Mr Underhill posted:

Not enough gifs

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Peas and Rice posted:

Some bullshit about "officially licensed Lovecraft" when Lovecraft's works are in the public domain.

Yeah, that was a little unnerving given how encouraging Lovecraft was about people using his characters everywhere. I actually stayed up an entire night to research what you can and cannot get away with using of his work and I'm still baffled. What's 100% sure is that the phrase Call Of Cthulhu is trademarked/copyrighted, as weird and hosed up as that is, and - on the brighter side - copyright on all his stuff in the EU at least has expired and it's all in the public domain. Being from Europe and planning to make a Lovecraft spoof (but using American kickstarter), I really, really hope we're in the clear. By the way, they actually copyrighted HIS NAME! So you can't say HP Lovecraft's yadda yadda without paying a license fee, which you really wouldn't want to do anyway, but hey.

Eruonen posted:

I'm hoping the "not serious tentacle stuff but poking fun at it" angle will add a little freshness. Like, I haven't had the time to play Cthulhu saves the world,which was also kickstarted, but I love the idea of the game and how it looks. I would've gladly thrown 10 bucks at it had I known about KS at the moment.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Geight posted:

MNC didn't deserve to go out the way it did. Abandoned before several developer promises were fulfilled so that they could release a bastardized version with the fun parts gutted out to make room for more predatory monetization models. The schadenfreude from watching SMNC crash and burn is the only thing MNC players have as a comfort; I'm just glad that the crowdfunding scene has collectively decided to not let Uber take advantage of them again.

I am very bitter about this piece of digital entertainment, you see. :v:

SMNC was crowdfunded?

The only crowdfunded game they had, I thought, was Planetary Annihilation. Which is a game I'm starting to really love. A few more performance tweaks so we can run our own servers without needing $1200/month dedicated hardware and I've got everything I backed for.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, my first thought reading those lines you quoted was "oh good, he clearly learned nothing from this"

Some people just don't deserve their dreams. Dude sounds like a real piece of work.

On another Kickstarter related note, Starcrawlers updated with this:

Starcrawlers Update #31 posted:

First off, the big news:

We’re not releasing StarCrawlers in November - and why that’s awesome for StarCrawlers!
We have been lucky enough to get some extra funding for StarCrawlers which is going to give us the flexibility to be able to slow down our release schedule a bit. This is great news for us (and for you guys) because it gives us more time to polish the game and to make sure we’re delivering the best version of StarCrawlers we can possibly produce. We really believe in this game and want to make sure we don’t sell it short. Rushing to Steam release was something we’ve been expecting we’d have to do purely for financial reasons - our post-KS budget was meticulously planned and carefully managed to get us through November, but we knew we wouldn’t be able to go much beyond that. Now we have the flexibility to put in a few more intense months of work and make sure that we’re delivering the best possible experience with StarCrawlers!

If you backed at the Beta Access+ tier, we’ll be opening up access for you to StarCrawlers (via our site) in November. Our current plan is to release the game onto Steam Early Access in early 2015 for the general public. However, we’re doing something we like to call “episodic” early access: the game will be released in a polished and largely feature complete state in February and will feature the first chapter of the main storyline. In addition, you’ll be able to run endless side missions of different types, have access to all the character classes, and be able to level and collect loot to your heart’s content.

Each additional chapter of the main story will follow soon after, with associated new bosses and enemies, new random events, and new non-essential stretch goals added (like the claw machine / Interstellar Postal Service). This way we get the game in your hands as soon as possible, without sacrificing quality or polish. As an added bonus we think serializing the most story-intensive elements of the RPG experience may actually make the game experience more enjoyable in some ways. We like the idea of having StarCrawlers periodically re-introduced in smaller portions. Our hope is that it will make the story more approachable for busy people, give us an extra boost in media attention that we’ll need to spread the word about StarCrawlers, and help us keep the game fresh!

As always, we encourage you to get in contact with us via the forums or KS message to let us know what you’re thinking or if you have any questions!

I'm not sure how I feel about the episodic game updates, but the project is looking really good overall. I like the idea of beta testing and releasing a polished chunk of the game, but I'm worried the chapter based releases will just be too thin to keep my interest though. That said, Wasteland 2's Arizona really benefited from the beta test while the second half needed such a beta test IMO. Maybe it'll work with Startcrawlers!

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
beta keys for Massive Chalice via Humble are going out.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Peas and Rice posted:

1. The first kickstarter not being finished.
2. Some bullshit about "officially licensed Lovecraft" when Lovecraft's works are in the public domain.

Lovecraft's great-grandfather's great-great-great-grandson, Robert C. Harrall, seemingly has managed to become the executor of to manage Lovecraft's estate under the title "Lovecraft Properties, LLC", which is what they're referencing. Harrall claims to have the copyrights to Lovecraft's post-1926 work (Charles Dexter Ward was published in 1941), but there's no solid evidence for this. From what little information I would find, all Harrall seems to be interested in is ensuring Lovecraft's legacy is well-treated, but I can't find any sign of him putting out any legal threats. Rumor has it he's looking to make sure the estate gets a cut if there was a big-budget adaptation of one of Lovecraft's works. Otherwise he seems to give permission freely; you just have to ask.

Granted, Harrall would have to be able to prove his assertions if he ever took things to court. Once again, there's no evidence so far that the copyright for Charles Dexter Ward was ever renewed, but it's probably safer for an indie publisher just to cover their rear end.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Lovecraft's great-grandfather's great-great-great-grandson, Robert C. Harrall, seemingly has managed to become the executor of to manage Lovecraft's estate under the title "Lovecraft Properties, LLC", which is what they're referencing. Harrall claims to have the copyrights to Lovecraft's post-1926 work (Charles Dexter Ward was published in 1941), but there's no solid evidence for this. From what little information I would find, all Harrall seems to be interested in is ensuring Lovecraft's legacy is well-treated, but I can't find any sign of him putting out any legal threats. Rumor has it he's looking to make sure the estate gets a cut if there was a big-budget adaptation of one of Lovecraft's works. Otherwise he seems to give permission freely; you just have to ask.

Granted, Harrall would have to be able to prove his assertions if he ever took things to court. Once again, there's no evidence so far that the copyright for Charles Dexter Ward was ever renewed, but it's probably safer for an indie publisher just to cover their rear end.

Wow, I thought I'd scoured the internet and I never came up on that info. Thanks for that! Man, Lovecraft would be PISSED at this whole license deal, lemme tell you that.

And also pissed about the black president, too, probably.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
^^^
Totally missed Alien Rope's response somehow, that is a pretty good summary.

Peas and Rice posted:

There's disputes about this for some of his stories, but it'll be true for everything soon enough regardless.

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 21, 2014

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hmmm, apparently Jagged Alliance: Flashback is now out. It's got a release trailer and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK7XjzUDWRs

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chairchucker posted:

Hmmm, apparently Jagged Alliance: Flashback is now out. It's got a release trailer and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK7XjzUDWRs

Thanks for reminding me, I got an email about this earlier this morning and then forgot about it. Gotta go find my steam key...

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Paranautical Activity looked like loving garbage so I'm glad it's ogre.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

funakupo posted:

beta keys for Massive Chalice via Humble are going out.
This was a game release that snuck up on me, though checking their Kickstarter I guess according to their original timeline they should've released a month ago. Don't have a beta key, but I'm seriously pumped for this game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

JossiRossi posted:

^^^
Totally missed Alien Rope's response somehow, that is a pretty good summary.

It bears mentioning that Charles Dexter Ward was originally printed in Weird Tales, so in theory there have been various owners of that magazine that could claim copyright on that over Lovecraft... if the copyright had ever been renewed. The copyrights to a lot of Weird Tales stories were reclaimed by their authors, but Lovecraft was never around to reclaim his, what with being dead and all.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I just don't have that much time for a second competitive-only RTS, especially when it's being touted as a "starter game to be fully developed later as a service" as well, just like PA. I understand they want to reuse their engine, but seeing them try and dip into the well again so quickly feels like really bad timing. I'm not that upset about PA, but I need more reasons to develop confidence in them for future kickstarters.

And Super MNC just makes me want to cry, having played MNC previously. I really tried to give it a chance, but it was just such a disappointment.

The problem is a game like PA can't even be competitive so I don't know why they're trying it apart from the fact every multiplayer game as to be "competitive" (including loving Evolve) even those that make awful spectator games or are balanced like poo poo.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
How can Evolve be competitive? How do you make a competition of a game that's 4 on 1?

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
No idea but they literally did a video of fat dota caster ayesee with one of the devs over a match (of a game that hasn't even been released, mind).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU90_1Sowfo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

No idea but they literally did a video of fat dota caster ayesee with one of the devs over a match (of a game that hasn't even been released, mind).

Well, at least doing something else might keep him from casting dota 2.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Well you see GREETINGS AND SALUTATIONS EVOLVE FANS I'M AARON AYESEE CHAMBERS HERE TO BRING YOU ANOTHER EXCITING ROUND OF

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

This reminds me very vaguely of Giants: Citizen Kabuto. I wonder if we'll see any more multiplayer games where the teams are asymmetrical.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

My post was poorly written but I meant Lovecraft games in general were getting boring.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 21, 2014

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

That little writeup really drives home what a supremely stupid move that was on his part to make those tweets, because not only did he screw himself over, but he also completely screwed over the other people working on the game who have probably been working for free up to this point and didn't do anything wrong.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Segmentation Fault posted:

Paranautical Activity looked like loving garbage so I'm glad it's ogre.

I can't believe the picture they went with as the "cover" for that game. I mean, the game itself looks awful too, but holy poo poo that high school binder anime image is something else.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

That little writeup really drives home what a supremely stupid move that was on his part to make those tweets, because not only did he screw himself over, but he also completely screwed over the other people working on the game who have probably been working for free up to this point and didn't do anything wrong.

Yeah I feel really awful for his team because he just tanked them completely overnight, and they did nothing wrong.

Be careful who you work with or for, I guess.

Inspector_666 posted:

I can't believe the picture they went with as the "cover" for that game. I mean, the game itself looks awful too, but holy poo poo that high school binder anime image is something else.

Yeah that image always seemed massively unappealing to me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

This is something I found really funny because the screengrab I saw of the tweets cut off the part where Steam's scrolling banner still listed the game as Early Access despite it being released, which is what he was actually complaining about. But when I saw that terrible banner image without the bottom few centimetres and thought "Okay, yeah, I agree that is a loving terrible picture but wouldn't you have chosen it?"

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I feel really awful for his team because he just tanked them completely overnight, and they did nothing wrong.

Be careful who you work with or for, I guess.

I get the feeling that his attitude didn't just appear out of the blue all of a sudden. It makes me feel REALLY bad that they probably had to suffer through working with the rear end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

macnbc posted:

I get the feeling that his attitude didn't just appear out of the blue all of a sudden. It makes me feel REALLY bad that they probably had to suffer through working with the rear end.

Yeah people are now coming out of the woodwork posting chat logs with him where he was insufferable.

Problem is the people working with him probably signed up online, and by the time they realized how bad he was they were too invested in the project to give up and move on. And they did actually make a game, and putting in all the work to pull that off makes it really hard to just walk away.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah people are now coming out of the woodwork posting chat logs with him where he was insufferable.

These are amazing
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135307789&postcount=1612

Mike and Travis are the PA guys.

quote:

James Anderson: i had no idea paranautical activity was going to be so hard
(Someone else in chat): apparently if you hit first level with the crossbow, you should restart at least according to an RPS writeup
Guncraft game designer: hey
(A second someone else in chat): Are you related with this game any way?
Guncraft game designer: yep, executive producer & lead game designer
Mike Maulbeck: thats a fluffy position
Guncraft game designer: I like to back all the groupees bundles
Travis Pfenning: too fluffy. lol*
MM: right?
James Anderson: that's what's annoying about Paranautical activity. the weapon it gives you at the start is random and it massively affects how difficult the game will be
James Anderson: also it's too hard anyway
Travis Pfenning: can i have that position the future, for code avarice
Mike Maulbeck: no >_>
Someone else: yeah paranautical is very hard
JA: like you can lose all your health in like one second- there's no invulnerable period after taking a hit
TP: Dont be scared James
TP: it might just take you some skill
JA: it doesn't make me want to get better at it though
MM: if you suck at using a weapon, you're gonna have a hard time
shocking
TP: you are a minority
JA: random weapon each time is a terrible idea
TP: ohh really
MM: the rooms are procedural, so are the guns
TP: Mike, he said your idea was bad, lol*
MM: thats just how it works
JA: there's procedural and there's random. two different things. random is bad
MM: ill get back to you when im done counting my stacks of money
TP: we could give you a pistol and good luck*
MM: lol. start off with brass knuckles
TP: start off with a tissue hahahhahaa
JA: it's like all the people who like the game seem to think that it's good that it's hard and if someone thinks it's too hard they are a wuss or lack skill but it's not hard for the right reasons. it's not hard in the right way
TP: if you take the time to paly it
MM: its a totally fair game
JA: look at REAL roguelike games for an example
TP: you will be fine
JA: it's not fair. give the player the same weapon each time then it's fair
MM: every time you take damage, it's your fault. thats the right kind of hard. making it random doesnt make it unfair. thats ****ing idiotic
JA: how rude
MM: oh joy theres a profanity filter
JA: a shame there isn't a filter to hide rude people all together
TP: dude you are telling us that our game is unfit for your skill
MM: shame there isnt a filter to hide people who dont know jack about game design
JA: i'm a developer.
TP: sorry to hear that. >_> *
MM: that doesnt mean you know what youre talking about
JA: why don't you stop being so rude. maybe you should hire some PR people if this is how you interact with your customers*
MM: some people just suck at videogames
2nd Random Chat participant: I too make games, but i don't act like I know everything about games and the industry. just tossing that in
MM: congrats
JA: i was personally attacked
TP: you criticized on 5 mintues of game play
JA: some people think obviously that it's ok to attack people personally with insults when their game is being cricicised
TP: who insulted you
JA: 5 minutes? where do you get this figure from
MM: youre too easily offended ma'am
JA: travis, the other dev, he said what i said was "<bleeping> idiotic"
TP: ohh did I? I didnt say that
JA: i didn't say you did, travis
TP: MIke did, and he said how idiotic
JA: i said the other dev
TP: he is a bit toughy lately.. touchy*
JA: see, i'll never buy another one of your games now. maybe you don't care
MM: haha
Someone in chat trying to move things along: Lets move topic swiftly on from this mess XD Hand up whos excited for Fairy Bloom Freesia!!!
MM: that one sale! We've missed out on it! what will we do!?!?
TP: I cant paly the game for **** .. James.. but when i spenmt time on it, I got better
JA: but if you are rude to everyone all the time you will start to get a name
TP: the idea is to get items.. to make those guns more usable
MM: I didnt get into game dev to prance around other peoples feelings
TP: you just dont understand that is the design
MM: I speak my mind, and when people talk ****, I tear em down
Chat Random: Travis, no melee weapons?
TP: you can use the trident as Melee
JA: i do understand that is the design. i don't think it's a good design. if you can't take that criticism without resorting to personal abuse hurled at your customers, you shouldn't be in this chat
MM: and the sickle is mele as well
TP: if you cant respect design, and leave your opinion in your pocket, you shouldn't be here either

JA: i'm supposed to never criticise a game ? that's ridiculous
TP: you judged it
MM: You can criticize, but dont call it bad design. Because it's not
JA: yeah and? it is bad design*
TP: not criticised
JA: it's a joke that you are calling paranautical activity a roguelike. it is nothing like a roguelike
MM: it just isnt. Saying random generation and variant difficulty is bad desing is just wrong
TP: and that is why we want to attack you right there. whats your address, im gonna send you some tissues
JA: do you know the difference between procedural design and random design or am i wasting my time? i heard the devs of PA were like this from someone else. seems they were right*
MM: haha. PA devs dont take ****. myth confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

James Anderson is right but he also kind of sounds like a huge bitch lol