Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Won't help you in sanctioned play; but my friends and I have a gentlemans' agreement that if we forget to assign an action, its assumed to be a Focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Dude I constantly forget actions too. Don't feel bad.

I made a mock 3 A wing 2 Y wing build (AYAYA!) and it seems strong and mobile. Especially with Y wings with blast turret on them.

Probably going to get Rebel Aces soon.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

jivjov posted:

Won't help you in sanctioned play; but my friends and I have a gentlemans' agreement that if we forget to assign an action, its assumed to be a Focus.

This is kind dangerous though, since sometimes you didn't forget to take an action, you forgot that the ship ran into a ship that has since moved.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Thinking about this too..

2 A wing, prototype pilot with refit (30)
2 B Wing with Green Squadron (44)
1 X wing with Biggs and R2 Astromech (26)

Am I spreading myself too thin here?

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Soulex posted:

2 B Wing with Green Squadron (44)

So do you just plug the A-Wings into the cannon slot or what?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Is Navigator not insanely good? Used it on my Falcon tonight and loved it.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

CODChimera posted:

I've been focused on TIE swarms for so long that I neglected to try out Boba Fett + Navigator + Engine Upgrade all this time. Reveal a bank maneuver, use any bank maneuver you want. Throw in some Royal Guard Pilot + Push the Limit for all sorts of shenanigans.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

CODChimera posted:

It doesnt see a lot of play in competitive play because of better choices for pilot slot and a lot of its good is lost once you get more experience and start making better piloting decisions.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

:sigh:

Finally something for Rebels :woop:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5138

alg fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 20, 2014

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

That is crazy

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Holy poo poo, they actually printed a "slam the w key to cancel the weapon cooldown" upgrade.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm disappointed that the A4 upgrade doesn't give them a crew slot, but depending on how you set it up being able to shoot twice in a single turn may very well be crazy enough on its own.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm disappointed that the A4 upgrade doesn't give them a crew slot, but depending on how you set it up being able to shoot twice in a single turn may very well be crazy enough on its own.

The A4 is the one-seater version, which is why the turret is slaved to the main guns. S3 is the more common model and a two-seater.

If the A4 is a title card, why the hell does the stock Y-wing not have a crew slot, FFG? :colbert:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 20, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If the A4 is a title card, why the hell does the stock Y-wing not have a crew slot, FFG? :colbert:

Because B-Wings...and Phantoms :smith:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
poo poo, I wonder if I can make a viable Aggressor Wing list now, or at least an all-Y Scum list.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah, the continued lack of a crew slot on the stock, which I assume to be the 2-seater if the A4 is the one seater, odd. The requirement for the double tap shot to be within the firing arc is mediocre too. Eh, I do want to fly them again someday but not like that.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, the continued lack of a crew slot on the stock, which I assume to be the 2-seater if the A4 is the one seater, odd. The requirement for the double tap shot to be within the firing arc is mediocre too. Eh, I do want to fly them again someday but not like that.

Unhinged Astromech A4 is going to be really silly to fly.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

It's going to be crazy regardless. Attacking twice in a turn is going to gently caress a lot of things up.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Wow drat Y-Wings are going to wreck.

e: So effectively the Scum Y-Wing is now like a pseudo Defender except the k-turn is green and you lose some agility.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Leo Showers posted:

Wow drat Y-Wings are going to wreck.

e: So effectively the Scum Y-Wing is now like a pseudo Defender except the k-turn is green and you lose some agility.

The ywings k-turn is a 4 not a 3. The droid wont affect it

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

About drat time Y-Wings are actually able to use turrets! I keep trying to put an ion turret on my regular Y-Wings thinking "well of course they can use ion! Rogue Squadron lets them do it!"

alg
Mar 14, 2007

They can already use them

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
If the A4 makes an attack do they have to spend a focus to follow up with a Blaster Turret attack?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yes. However, there's a droid that gives you a TL in exchange for spending a focus token. That lets you either use it immediately on the blaster turret, save it for your next primary attack to get focus+TL instead of two attacks, or take the 5-skill Y-Wing pilot to have a TL for every attack you make, period, as long as you stick to green moves.

The 7-skill Y-Wing pilot gives you an extra die outside of your arc, so suddenly that Blaster Turret is spitting four dice at range 2. If you use the 7-skill pilot with the R4 you can have four dice with TLs at anything within range 2 for 30 points. Even better since this Y-wing pilot gets an EPT so you can use Predator instead of the R4 for a mini-TL, and then get the Unhinged Astromech to make drat sure something is outside your arc and within range 2 all game long. Or even just PTL and give it an Engine Upgrade for boost + focus + TL and the most mobile Y-Wing you've ever seen. 24 point ship, plus 3 for Predator/PTL, plus 4 for Blaster Turret, then 2/3 for R4 or Unhinged. Gets expensive, but it's also painful and tanky as hell.

The 5-skill Y-Wing pilot also finally makes ordnance worth using, because you can fire them in successive turns, and then make ridiculous green 3-speed maneuvers to keep them on target with the Unhinged guy. Add an Ion Cannon Turret to keep someone moving predictably for 30 + your ordnance.

I think that a three-ship Y-wing list on the Scum side will actually be feasible.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Hey guys. Just popping in to say that I got the core set for this game a few days ago at LGS and I'm having a blast. So far Ive liked playing the Imperial faction due to their speed and maneuverability and I've always liked the ships in general.How should I expand my stuff from here? I saw some Imperial Aces expansions at my LGS. Should that be a good place to start?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

The Sisko posted:

Hey guys. Just popping in to say that I got the core set for this game a few days ago at LGS and I'm having a blast. So far Ive liked playing the Imperial faction due to their speed and maneuverability and I've always liked the ships in general.How should I expand my stuff from here? I saw some Imperial Aces expansions at my LGS. Should that be a good place to start?

Buy yourself the imperial aces expansion and at least one TIE Fighter. Its a good start.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Also Slave One

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Also a phantom

Also a shuttle

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Or just say gently caress it and buy yourself two b-wings and a yt-1300

I MEAN GODDAMN

Does anybody else keep encountering fat Han and two blue boys? What strategies have emerged for reliably countering such a list?

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

The Sisko posted:

Your wallet gonna bleed, son.

Imperial Aces is wonderful and cranks the maneuverability up to nuts. You're also going to want more TIE fighters.

I like the bomber for variety but it certainly isn't a must buy.

Avoid the TIE Advanced. It looks cool and it's Vader and all but it's very expensive for what it does and feels wrong, like its a rebel ship that happens to be on the imperial side. I also didn't find the lone interceptor expansion amazing enough to be a must buy.

Otterspace
Jul 13, 2006

This is not a good idea.
Even though it has Soontir Fel, one of the best pilots in the game?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Otterspace posted:

Fel is an interceptor pilot, not an advanced.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

^

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I also didn't find the lone interceptor expansion amazing enough to be a must buy.
He's talking about this part dude.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Fel + PTL is like a crutch for me, I can't not take him any more.

Speaking of which... any critique for this list? I signed myself up for another 4 game tournament in a week and a bit. I haven't played any games since I last played a tourney...... in May. Oops. Oh well, anyway... how does this list look?

Fel + PTL + Stealth Device - 33 points
Tetran + PTL + Stealth Device - 30 points
Echo + Adv. Cloaking Dev. + Fire Control System + Veteran Instincts - 37 points

I could drop VI from Echo for the sake of the initiative. There's not much in the way of synergy there, just lots of fast moving zippy little bastards that should hopefully be fast enough to get out of fire arcs and whatnot. Stealth devices on the interceptors should aid in survival for the occasion when I can't get them out of fire arcs.

I'll be happy if I get the wooden spoon again.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Otterspace posted:

That's a fair point and it probably comes down to play style. If you want to play competitively and get into making sweet card combos, he's without question worth picking up. I play the game more like a boardgame with friends though, and the pilots in Aces are interesting and don't require specific card combos to make them great.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 23, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

His 'sweet card combo' is getting PtL, which you should get on inties anyway. He doesn't really require anything else apart from that.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

It's possible to play X-Wing casually but Soontir Fel is still the best pilot in the game. Definitely worth a pick up.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

enri posted:

Fel + PTL is like a crutch for me, I can't not take him any more.

Speaking of which... any critique for this list? I signed myself up for another 4 game tournament in a week and a bit. I haven't played any games since I last played a tourney...... in May. Oops. Oh well, anyway... how does this list look?

Fel + PTL + Stealth Device - 33 points
Tetran + PTL + Stealth Device - 30 points
Echo + Adv. Cloaking Dev. + Fire Control System + Veteran Instincts - 37 points

I could drop VI from Echo for the sake of the initiative. There's not much in the way of synergy there, just lots of fast moving zippy little bastards that should hopefully be fast enough to get out of fire arcs and whatnot. Stealth devices on the interceptors should aid in survival for the occasion when I can't get them out of fire arcs.

I'll be happy if I get the wooden spoon again.

Echo is a difficult addition to a list for me and only really works if you give your opponent reasons not to shoot at him. He needs rebel captive minimally and sensor jammer helps a lot. The biggest problem with Echo right now is his basically hard countered by Han and Whisper which you will see a ton off.

Soontir is solid but anything with gunner wrecks all the other interceptors pretty badly. They cant deal with the second attack from gunner as well as soontir can. I personally would use Yorr or a Vander shuttle. Yorr defends both ships from lists that give stress (Which is a huge issue for both soontir and phantoms) and lets you do things like k-turn a phantom and still cloak that turn.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

TouchToneDialing posted:

Echo is a difficult addition to a list for me and only really works if you give your opponent reasons not to shoot at him. He needs rebel captive minimally and sensor jammer helps a lot. The biggest problem with Echo right now is his basically hard countered by Han and Whisper which you will see a ton off.

Soontir is solid but anything with gunner wrecks all the other interceptors pretty badly. They cant deal with the second attack from gunner as well as soontir can. I personally would use Yorr or a Vander shuttle. Yorr defends both ships from lists that give stress (Which is a huge issue for both soontir and phantoms) and lets you do things like k-turn a phantom and still cloak that turn.

Yea the stress worries me, only problem is that I have no shuttle to hand :( I'd toyed with picking one up and using Jendon with a bunch of upgrades to pass out TLs left right and centre until I re-read his card and read they had to be range 1 for that. Kinda sucked because I don't want to slow up interceptors just to keep a shuttle close by.

drat, theory-hammering X-wing lists is so bloody hard. Far too many toys I want to cram in and it's like one big juggling act that I'm never 100% satisfied with the outcome on :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Shuttles are faster than you think, especially if you give them an engine upgrade. The large ship base is deceptively capable of covering large distances easily. Because it's two inches instead of one inch across, you effectively move at your maneuver speed, plus one. A three-speed straight on a large ship covers the same distance as a four-speed straight on a small ship. With an engine upgrade, a Lambda is capable of covering the equivalent of a seven-speed white straight maneuver with the boost. That's literally as fast as an Interceptor or A-Wing.

• Locked thread