Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Clown car refereeing. I understand that UEFA needs to give everyone a fair chance at bribing them, but refs from less reputable FAs should not be allowed to officiate LM games. I am seriously ready to do barrel rolls at how our officials are going to gently caress up Benfica tonight. The fact that they're sending Collina personally to oversee that game speaks volumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

mackintosh posted:

Clown car refereeing. I understand that UEFA needs to give everyone a fair chance at bribing them, but refs from less reputable FAs should not be allowed to officiate LM games. I am seriously ready to do barrel rolls at how our officials are going to gently caress up Benfica tonight. The fact that they're sending Collina personally to oversee that game speaks volumes.

They're sending Collina because come Euro 2016 UEFA needs a lot more referees ready due to the expanding tournament and this is a guy they've started to fast track for that.

A little refchat, Szymon MARCINIAK (POL) has been FIFA listed since 2011. He hasn't really done any games that people here are likely to remember. As far as Portugal/Portuguese teams, he did Genk 2 Sporting 1 in the EL group stages back in 2012 and Portugal 3 Azerbaijan 0 that same year. He did Benfica 3 PAOK 0 in last year's Europa League R32 as well. This is his first year working the group stage of the Champions League. He did Juventus 2 Malmo 0 last month. Oh, also, he worked that France 2 Portugal 1 friendly two weeks ago.

As always with fast track referees, he could be overall solid (Oliver) or he could be a complete joke (Attwell). Hope he does well, but, I've never personally seen him work so I don't know what to expect.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
TV replays are a must.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Charlotte Hornets posted:

TV replays are a must.

gently caress off.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

chaoslord posted:

They're sending Collina because come Euro 2016 UEFA needs a lot more referees ready due to the expanding tournament and this is a guy they've started to fast track for that.

A little refchat, Szymon MARCINIAK (POL) has been FIFA listed since 2011. He hasn't really done any games that people here are likely to remember. As far as Portugal/Portuguese teams, he did Genk 2 Sporting 1 in the EL group stages back in 2012 and Portugal 3 Azerbaijan 0 that same year. He did Benfica 3 PAOK 0 in last year's Europa League R32 as well. This is his first year working the group stage of the Champions League. He did Juventus 2 Malmo 0 last month. Oh, also, he worked that France 2 Portugal 1 friendly two weeks ago.

As always with fast track referees, he could be overall solid (Oliver) or he could be a complete joke (Attwell). Hope he does well, but, I've never personally seen him work so I don't know what to expect.

Have a look at my avatar, it's a clue as to what team I support. Then decipher the latin. Then maybe we can talk about Marciniak, if I feel like wasting my time.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
If they need more refs they should just redeploy the ones who stand by the goals, I don't think anyone would miss them

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Burqa King posted:

If they need more refs they should just redeploy the ones who stand by the goals, I don't think anyone would miss them

give them a headset and a screen, imo

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Charlotte Hornets posted:

give them a headset and a screen, imo

yup

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Arsenal defenders arriving at the Constant Vanden for tonight's game

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

mackintosh posted:

Have a look at my avatar, it's a clue as to what team I support. Then decipher the latin. Then maybe we can talk about Marciniak, if I feel like wasting my time.

Ahhhh. Right. I turned avatars off at work some time ago and never turned them back on, I forgot you would have seen Marciniak extensively.

Pretty bad then?

Burqa King posted:

Typically AARs are less experienced or not as good as the guy in the middle. I can understand getting rid of them, but most of them (and in particular the two assisting Karasev) are not going to be able to go in the middle of a game at Euro 2016. For better or worse, UEFA picked seven specific folks to focus on to try to bring along for the expansion, including Karasev and Marciniak.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
While I accept that blowing a whistle is not as easy as it looks, I think 20 months should be more than sufficient to teach an adult human the laws of the game

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

The knowing the Laws isn't the hard part, it's having enough time to prove that you can handle matches at that high level. The Euros and CL are likely higher quality play than most of those guys will see in their domestic leagues, and there are only so many slots that can be given out. You have to give a lot to the guys who are already established to keep them at that level, meaning you only have a handful to go around to give other a chance. Mess up your handful of chances and you might never get to go again.

I'd liken it to being a backup keeper. Eventually you're going to get thrown into a game at a level you have never played at before or rarely see. Players are going to be faster, hit the ball harder, and be trickier to anticipate. If you get called upon two or three times but are complete garbage the team will sign another backup keeper instead and you will get to play with the reserves.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At least one ref in the Sporting match was bribed. End of story. Sporting's downfall is always funny but jfc this looked straight up like a match that Salazar had a stake in back in the day.

The difference is that back in the day no one said anything because they didn't want to spend a vacation on Cape Verde's wonderful frying pans while nowadays people are just too dumb to see that a player of a small club swatting a ball away with his face isn't a handball.

I'm going to be working during Benfica's match. Realistically, i expect a 3-0 win with a Talisca hat trick but after mackintosh's posts i'm starting to fear Blatter wants to under-mine Portuguese football so that French, Italian and Russian corruptbucks can surprass our glorious, meritocratic league. smh

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

T Bowl posted:

Arsenal defenders arriving at the Constant Vanden for tonight's game

All these clowns appear healthy idgi

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

Mans posted:

At least one ref in the Sporting match was bribed. End of story. Sporting's downfall is always funny but jfc this looked straight up like a match that Salazar had a stake in back in the day.

The difference is that back in the day no one said anything because they didn't want to spend a vacation on Cape Verde's wonderful frying pans while nowadays people are just too dumb to see that a player of a small club swatting a ball away with his face isn't a handball.

I'm going to be working during Benfica's match. Realistically, i expect a 3-0 win with a Talisca hat trick but after mackintosh's posts i'm starting to fear Blatter wants to under-mine Portuguese football so that French, Italian and Russian corruptbucks can surprass our glorious, meritocratic league. smh

Come to think of it.... doesnt sound like very Sporting behaviour haha loving owned

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Mans posted:

Lol Italian teams getting preferential treatment are you kidding me? Bayern knocking out Fiorentina a while back was the end of that. Just look at Juve Gala last year.

We only have enough money to bribe domestic officials.

E: also Milan drawing Barcelona 1000 times in the CL.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah sorry Gigi Galli i got caught up in emotions, you know i love Italian football, women, cars, food, wine and even the men.

I'm just worried for Benfica, it's all.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The Arse are starting their third choice keeper tonight, should be interesting.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Mans posted:

I'm just worried for Benfica, it's all.

Bad (corrupt) polish referees are a good thing to distract from Jesus staggering champions league incompetence.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 22, 2014

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Polish refs aren't corrupt, they're just inexperienced and have no business officiating games at this level. Can't speak for the rest of them, but in Marciniak's case, I'm fairly certain he's getting a shot because he has Listkiewicz as his linesman. Listkiewicz is the son of a former PFA chairman, who was also a ref, and is a very close friend of Collina's.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

mackintosh posted:

in Marciniak's case, I'm fairly certain he's getting a shot because he has Listkiewicz as his linesman. Listkiewicz is the son of a former PFA chairman, who was also a ref, and is a very close friend of Collina's.

mackintosh posted:

Polish refs aren't corrupt

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
What time is the liverpool match.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

The Arse are starting their third choice keeper tonight, should be interesting.

Yeah, but I don't think Anderlecht has won a CL game going back two or three (at least) years.

That said, if any team could find a way to gently caress it up...

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

serious gaylord posted:

What time is the liverpool match.

7:45 pm in your neck of the woods.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
When is the United match? Can't find it on the telly listings.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Casillas; Arbeloa, Varane, Pepe, Marcelo; Kroos, Modric; James Rodríguez, Isco, Cristiano Ronaldo y Benzema

Mignolet; Moreno, Lovren, Skrtel, Johnson; Gerrard, Henderson, Allen; Coutinho, Sterling y Balotelli

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm pumped to watch Arsenal and get real mad

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Imagine not watching Liverpool and Real Madrid lol get out of here

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Hegay posted:

Casillas; Arbeloa, Varane, Pepe, Marcelo; Kroos, Modric; James Rodríguez, Isco, Cristiano Ronaldo y Benzema

Mignolet; Moreno, Lovren, Skrtel, Johnson; Gerrard, Henderson, Allen; Coutinho, Sterling y Balotelli

Isco :getin:

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Is Isco Alpha Squad? I've been bad about paying attention between work, probations and Destiny.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Hegay posted:

Lmao. Easy three points for the 'pool.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Cronaldo is gonna nutmeg Gerrard 69 times and it'll turn out that it's been Brendan's name in the envelope all along

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Hegay posted:

Two poo poo teams

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Our love will last forever

TRP Post Of The Tournament Winner World Cup 2014

Hegay posted:

im torn between watching this and watching olympiacos get their poo poo pushed in

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Maradonna Summer posted:

im torn between watching this and watching olympiacos get their poo poo pushed in

Typical Greeks. :rolleyes:

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
It's not going to be a walk in the park or anything, but personally I don't see any reason Liverpool can't put 5 or 6 goals in tonight and also keep a clean sheet. I think it'll be a fun, enjoyable game. Looking forward to it really. Optimistic.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Hegay posted:

Ahahahaha, we are so hosed. Seriously, Glen Johnson v Ronaldo.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Good evening my name is Liverpool Football Club's Defence and I'll be your server this evening.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Tonight's match at Anfield will be super boring. The real football lover will watch Arsenal v. Anderlecht instead to see how Wenger deals with those major squad issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

When is the United match? Can't find it on the telly listings.

Not tonight OP. Must have been yesterday.

• Locked thread