Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
No, cool CEO dude, you can't be evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, there's no way this show is going there.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

OH MY GOD

that ending to the episode made me jump, especially the teaser for next week. This drat show.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
THIS FUCKIN SHOW

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JohnSherman posted:

He seemed like he wasn't expecting all those weapon plans (that were labeled OMAC)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

JohnSherman posted:

Yea, I'll be really pissed off if he turns out to be a another River Tam.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, there's no way this show is going there.

See, you say that, but I remember an earthquake machine and a super-powered army fighting with ninja archer assassins.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
Love that she went by Mia down there. Especially since her middle name is established to be Dearden, Moira's maiden name.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
I saw a guy curling in the squat rack at Wild Cat's gym. Possible villain cameo?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The OMAC Project could tie into the ongoing ARGUS plotline pretty easily. And if they go with the "nanotech" version of OMAC (Ray Palmer hurr hurrr), it wouldn't be too hard to depict onscreen either.

This episode was honestly kind of jumpy and disconnected (one scene went from Oliver talking to Thea to Oliver on a stakeout with Diggle with no preamble whatsoever) but I liked all the things that happened in all those disconnected scenes, so that's great.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

This episode was honestly kind of jumpy and disconnected (one scene went from Oliver talking to Thea to Oliver on a stakeout with Diggle with no preamble whatsoever) but I liked all the things that happened in all those disconnected scenes, so that's great.

Yeah, I think the show needs to be careful about the number of plots it's juggling. I like all of these plots, but it's a lot to keep in the air and it makes it hard to focus.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Why would Felicity recover data from the research labs that she helped destroy so that the stuff from the research labs could not be used by anyone?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
This was one of the weakest arrow eps I can't remember, but it is still better than anything Gotham has shat out.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mr Beens posted:

Why would Felicity recover data from the research labs that she helped destroy so that the stuff from the research labs could not be used by anyone?

They destroyed it so it couldn't be used by young Sigourney Weaver and Slade, specifically.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Man they are really keeping Ra's under heavy wraps man. I expected a much better look at Nable's go in the teaser for next week but nope.

So psyched for episode 4 now. :fap:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Aphrodite posted:

She's got the H.I.V.E.

:drat:

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Oh Laurel.

You tried.

Was I NOT supposed to be laughing hysterically at her failure?

When abusive boyfriend got into the car I yelled out, "now back up and finish the job"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

He seemed like he wasn't expecting all those weapon plans (that were labeled OMAC)

His reaction and quick flicking through conveyed it pretty well. He was definitely surprised to see those plans.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

Wow,so this is a gun! This is so much easier, I should have been using this the whole time!

I like that Oliver is pro as gently caress with guns, but chooses to use a shittier weapon. Needs to make it a little challenging.

Dead Snoopy posted:

When abusive boyfriend got into the car I yelled out, "now back up and finish the job"

No I laughed too. C'mon Laurel, you got the jump on him and still got your rear end beat.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Well, Laurel is still late to the party in getting awesome training. Sure, Thea's only had 5 months but under Malcolm, that's like what, more than a year or so at the boxing ring?

I mean she was doing flips and poo poo and fighting with swords.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The episode had a lot of funny/cool lines/moments and some good plot development, but it somehow felt low quality. Blame the director, maybe?

Like the big action sequence was kinda weird, it was edited like a montage or a music video and there were a lot of unconvincing hits. Thea chopping that vase approximately TEN MINUTES after Barrowman circled around her was also weird. On the other hand, Diggle wrestling the guy out of a moving jeep was a beautiful stunt. Always glad when The Best Character gets to actually do something.

But the way an Acme Truck o' Henchmen show up to be fodder for the gang was really dumb, as was Ollie instantly knowing they were baddies and then attacking them before they even did anything to prove their baddiness. (And goddamn it, you're shooting a gun one handed - you DON'T know how to use one, Ollie!)

Laurel is still just the worst, honestly. The scene with her at the boxing gym was the cheesiest goddamn thing (also: new abs for season 3). Her failing to be a vigilante was sort of an interesting plot and her conversation with Ollie about it was great characterisation, but her destiny in this show is so dumb.

Thea was acting up a storm this ep. I hate that people younger than me are this talented. She even got the flashbacks instead of Ollie!

Aaaand terrific cliffhanger. They have got to start locking that door!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Remember this is like a non-typical Arrow episode. I mean, most Arrow action sequences are in the dark/at night so they can usually hide stuff with it. I mean, the Thea/Malcolm fight was obviously stunt doubles and they didn't even really hide the faces that much during that and there was some funny editing when it cut back to the actors but it was alright for what they had.

VagueRant posted:

But the way an Acme Truck o' Henchmen show up to be fodder for the gang was really dumb, as was Ollie instantly knowing they were baddies and then attacking them before they even did anything to prove their baddiness. (And goddamn it, you're shooting a gun one handed - you DON'T know how to use one, Ollie!)
And Oliver was basically probably in survival mode for most of his 5 years missing, so I wouldn't be surprised he learned how to use a gun super well (I found it weird the first thing Waller told him to do was basically use a sniper rifle considering he's never had marksmanship training except I guess with a bow).

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I actually hope that regardless of Ted Grant's training, there will be a running b-story of Laurel trying and failing at being a good vigilante.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

VagueRant posted:

I would chock this up to the fact that this seasons flashbacks are revealing Ollie has come to know a lot about how ARGUS operates overseas. I am guessing they are the type to roll in with snipers and a tactical squad (or stupid drone missiles from the Suicide Squad mission), and not just a local militia on a jeep.

Can someone go back and count how many times a Lance has been put in the hospital? I think they keep a room rented in Starling General.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Thea was acting up a storm this ep. I hate that people younger than me are this talented. She even got the flashbacks instead of Ollie!

I'm hoping we'll get more Thea flashbacks. The episode was so top heavy that it basically skipped over the development of her relationship with Malcolm.

The resolution of her plot was kind of strange though. She's so sick of everyone in her life that she'll skip town with her father the mass murderer, only to come back after a single heart-to-heart conversation with her brother? I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Neon Knight posted:

I would chock this up to the fact that this seasons flashbacks are revealing Ollie has come to know a lot about how ARGUS operates overseas. I am guessing they are the type to roll in with snipers and a tactical squad (or stupid drone missiles from the Suicide Squad mission), and not just a local militia on a jeep.

Can someone go back and count how many times a Lance has been put in the hospital? I think they keep a room rented in Starling General.
Would I even be surprised if Ollie in the flashbacks becomes an ARGUS agent for a while?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sober posted:

Would I even be surprised if Ollie in the flashbacks becomes an ARGUS agent for a while?

I thought that was confirmed in season 2, when the Wall showed Dingle and Felicity their dossier on him?

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.
I kind of found it funny how Laurel keep saying she wanted to help people like Sarah did. I guess no one is ever going to acknowledge that Sarah was, you know, an assassin. She probably didn't do a lot of helping people when she wasn't with Oliver.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The funniest line of the episode was " When I hold this jacket, I want to do good" or whatever. :stare:

Although at least this Laurel story line will introduce Ted Grant so I am okay with that. Although disappointed he's not older.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DapperDinosaur posted:

I kind of found it funny how Laurel keep saying she wanted to help people like Sarah did. I guess no one is ever going to acknowledge that Sarah was, you know, an assassin. She probably didn't do a lot of helping people when she wasn't with Oliver.

The last thing Laurel saw of her sister was saving people. They ignored what she was, instead on what they remember of her before the island and while working with Ollie.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Wait, does Oliver live in an abandoned Verdant now or something? And how does he do anything without money or a job? Hell, where is Thea even gonna stay?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Goddamn that stinger :suspense:

I wished they did more Thea training montage, maybe her and Barrowman murdering the poo poo out of some third world dictator for fun. Thea being a badass is something I'd never thought I'd see after Season 1 and I love it.

Oliver is like the badass catalyst, everyone he meets eventually becomes some hardened warrior. Maybe... maybe Oliver is made of Mirakuru :tinfoil:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Eddain posted:

Wait, does Oliver live in an abandoned Verdant now or something? And how does he do anything without money or a job? Hell, where is Thea even gonna stay?

Ollie is Network Television Poor™

Honestly though, if he's anything like real rich people, he had money stashed away somewhere.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Dead Snoopy posted:

The sad part is that she is an ADA, and she couldn't come up with a better plan to take down a violent drunken felon with outstanding warrants leaving a bar than to hit him with a bat. (That she clearly did not know how to use.) She could have just as easily sent him to pound him in the rear end prison with a phone call, since she knew he was an alcoholic with outstanding warrants, driving away from a bar.

Think about that for a moment, she could have easily screwed his life up in a major way by dropping a dime on the guy, even if it was just for a DUI, and she went with the one plan where the violent alcoholic will be sore in the morning.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 23, 2014

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
Did they ever describe how Slade was super rich? Maybe Ollie is enjoying the spoils of war for defeating psycho mirakuru mercenary lord Big Boss Wilson.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Neon Knight posted:

Did they ever describe how Slade was super rich? Maybe Ollie is enjoying the spoils of war for defeating psycho mirakuru mercenary lord Big Boss Wilson.

He was a mercenary.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Eddain posted:

Verdant is the club Ollie owns (or maybe Rochev took that near the end of S2, too, I'm not sure.) He sleeps on the floor in the Foundry (with all of his equipment), I think. He might also have some cash stashed away somewhere, as JohnSherman suggested.

Thea will work something out. If nothing else, I'm sure Walter would be willing to give her a hand.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Verdant is the club Ollie owns (or maybe Rochev took that near the end of S2, too, I'm not sure.) He sleeps on the floor in the Foundry (with all of his equipment), I think. He might also have some cash stashed away somewhere, as JohnSherman suggested.

Thea will work something out. If nothing else, I'm sure Walter would be willing to give her a hand.

Well, Queen Consolidated started off as a multibillion dollar corporation, and the Queens owned a significant amount of stock in it. Even if the stock tanked after the events of S1, the buyout would have raised the value of Queen Consolidated shares. Seriously, writers have no idea of how corporate finance works.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

JohnSherman posted:

Ollie is Network Television Poor™

Honestly though, if he's anything like real rich people, he had money stashed away somewhere.

Ollie has been forced to survive off his last $700,000. He has to rent a *one-bedroom* and drive a *used Honda* to get by. He doesn't even have a driver!

I can't be in that much of a minority for liking Laurel's story now. The fact she's a fuckup at vigilantism is actually a super interesting choice. And consistent with her character: she's an addictive personality who makes terrible, destructive decisions to deal with her problems...and running off to beat the poo poo out of a guy is exactly that.

It's Arrow essentially doing Batman Begins again. Laurel right now is Bruce trying to shoot Joe Chill. It's petty and childish, and she needs to try and fail at that to justify what her training arc becomes.

(Of course, with added paternalist condescension added to the mix. I can actually see this becoming interesting in a feminist way...placing a Batman-like level of personal darkness and destructive sadism into a female character.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah, it kind of drives me crazy. It's just like they William S. Burroughed a bunch of financial terms and that's basically it.

Also, why the gently caress Did Laura tell anyone she just assaulted some guy in a alley

" Oh how I got beat up? I got a baseball batted and committed battery on a guy, also I am a prosecutor".

What? Why would you tell anyone you did that. Especially if you are a ADA.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 23, 2014

• Locked thread