Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Stumpalitious posted:

I bought Brink.

At full price.

It's both the worst steam purchase I've had and the most shameful.

I found out that if you bitch loud enough Steam will allow every account one courtesy refund provided it's a recent purchase. I bitched loudly about Brink and it's no longer on my Steam account and I used my steam credit from refunding it to purchase two non poo poo games.

EDIT: Basically what I'm saying is haha you guys still have brink on your list and I got my loving money back, l8r nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Oberleutnant posted:

lol op u tried to make an edgy troll thread where people would have a meltdown about u being a nazi but you forgot the cardinal rule that goons are massive autists and games trump every other topic of conversation lol u hosed up.

nazis are good why would anyone care

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

From Dust.

gently caress that poo poo.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
lmao @ all the dumbasses who preordered brink. Should've done what I did and traded a tf2 hat to zoolooman for a preorder

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

brink was pretty good because i had never bought into the hype even a little. i didn't even know what it was when i bought it and i spent like six hours one afternoon playing it

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

lol never preorder games

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i preordered rome 2 and it almost put me off videogames entirey

HereComesEverybody
Mar 2, 2007

a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

I like to think that all of the games on my Steam are at least halfway decent but this goes on the assumption that the Humble Bundles are well-curated. With that in mind I will say Uplink because the conceit is pretty cool but the font is so small as to make the game zero fun to play.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Duke Nukem Forever. I only paid five bucks for it, but that's still five bucks that would have been better spent being shoved up my rear end for being willing to spend any money for that game.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ghost Master

poo poo doesnt even work

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

brink, rome 2, amnesia. all bad

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
borderlands 2 + dlc

more like boredlands

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

http://store.steampowered.com/app/254590/
'Theme Park Studio'
I wanted rollercoaster tycoon 4: sperg edition but it turns out you need an actual pHD to play this
full price

Firetrick
Aug 4, 2006

Fandyien posted:

i preordered rome 2 and it almost put me off videogames entirey

This and a bunch of other games because I'm a dumb nerd with disposable income and no self control.

Gawdfather
Jul 29, 2011

toggle posted:

lol never preorder games

Pretty much all of my impulse buys have turned out to suck,

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Melchior posted:

Torchlight 2
Loved the first one, this one was along the same lines but not really nearly as fun. Friends hated it too, so it never got much play.

Torchlight 1 was super good, but 2 was like the devs did everything in their power to make sure you couldn't have fun. Every item, every skill, and every stat was tied to a mathematical formula to ensure that no matter what the end-user did the game would be perfectly balanced and bland. It was essentially impossible to make a character more or less powerful than any other.

My most hated steam game is Godus. Peter Molynuex + early access is a special combination.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

spacebase: df9

lol if i'm ever buying a double fine game after that

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
DayZ (mod) I bought Arma II for. Arma II wasn't bad, but it just did everything different. It was like the Pugeot of military shooters.

Then I bought DayZ Standalone early access. I've had really good luck with early access in the past (Prison Architect, Kerbal Space Program) and did have a little fun with it, but currently the game is a disaster. If bugs don't kill you, the blatant hackers will. And the developers keep adding stupid crap in instead of fixing serious problems (overall gameplay, performance, and again, hackers.)

(Plus the DayZ Reddit is full of people with Stockholm Syndrome licking the astronomically incompetent developer's boots.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 23, 2014

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Salt Fish posted:

My most hated steam game is Godus. Peter Molynuex + early access is a special combination.

haha you bought Godus?

sorry that's the most :smith: thing so far in this thread

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Libelous Slander posted:

for real FF13 was probably the worst purchase i have made in my life, and i bought dynasty warriors once

yeah FF13 is legit the worst game i've ever played. i bought it on PS3 though and paid good money for it. traded it for Bioshock 2. it was a bad purchase overall.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 23, 2014

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Top worst purchases on steam were The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Rust, and Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.

TES games have never appealed to me but I got IV before skyrim came out to check it out. I even tried downloading a bunch of mods, and I even tried some sandbox mods because hey why not, but man that game is just an awful game. I don't get the appeal. It's like a lovely MMO, or it's a clunkier RPG, or it's a far worse Sleeping Dogs, but in all honesty it's just lame and has no redeeming qualities for me. I'm big on how things play, and the play is not there and it's not backing up the lack of gameplay with strategy or anything that requires thinking.

Rust is just a bad game that will probably always be bad. Got tricked into buying this one by friends who were playing it. What if we made a shittier minecraft and had similar poo poo-tier combat in a modern fps engine??? somehow???? and said the focus is pvp so the crafting and building are a combination of tedious and god-awful. But the pvp is too. So what the gently caress are we making? I mean I like games where you run around and kill people, I like making things, I like losing things permanently, I like gathering things and grinding, so this game sounds like a perfect storm of things that I'd like. But it's actually just bad.

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet just wasn't fun and was designed for xbox controller only or something. I even tried coop because that's why I bought it, and that wasn't fun. If you aren't having fun playing a game with someone that says a whole lot about the game in my opinion, because I've played some really lovely games with other people in my day and had a great time despite the actively lovely game. There's nothing in particular wrong with this game, the art style and sound are cool, the gameplay is responsive and reasonable, but it's not fun. Bit of a letdown after a successful string of indie game purchases.

I guess I have a bunch of other lovely games from publisher and indie packs, but I didn't specifically buy those lovely games and the non-lovely stuff that came with them was worth it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 23, 2014

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?
Starcraft: Brood War

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

StabMasterArson posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/254590/
'Theme Park Studio'
I wanted rollercoaster tycoon 4: sperg edition but it turns out you need an actual pHD to play this
full price

An early access game that promises it's like a retro classic? Hell to the yes my brother it's a great decision to pay for one of those.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Fandyien posted:

Red Orchestra 2 and Insurgency might be the best FPS games in the past 5-9 years. not 10 because of hl2

insurgency the mod was better but agreedo

mine is far cry 3: blood dragon. i bought it because i thought it was going to have multiplayer and i really liked the dude doing the music.

what a wretched, teeth-gnashingly unfunny piece of poo poo game. the gameplay would be almost tolerable if you didn't constantly run into the titular blood dragons, which are a colossal loving chore to kill. not even difficult, just tedious.

Yivgev fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 23, 2014

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe
a friend bought me Day Z

I wandered around for over two hours, found mostly useless supplies, killed two or three zombies, couldn't find any of my friends in the server and they couldn't find me, in fact I never even saw another human at all

I can't understand how anyone could enjoy that poo poo and I will never play it again

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Gal Civ 2. I like 4X games in theory, but most of them suck rear end.

I'm gonna buy Civ 5 in Space, and I pre-emptively regret it.

Also, Endless Space is good.

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

AT NIGHT I GET SO LONELY I JERK IT FURIOUSLY TO THE SIMS

Davincie posted:

brink, rome 2, amnesia. all bad

go sit in a corner and think about what you just said

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I bought Bastion on steam because some friends kept telling me how good it was but I never played it. I bought it just so they would stop bugging me about it, but I've literally never even installed it. So I guess its my worst purchase on the grounds that I bought a game that I didn't even play.

As for actual games I bought and played, its not Steam purchase but I feel I have to mention Spore. When this game was announced I was ecstatic. It was basically the perfect game for me. I followed it for years, waiting through delay after delay, telling myself it would all be worth it. I preordered the Galactic edition as soon as I could and was so excited to play it. Then it was the most shallow piece of poo poo ever and disappointed me in almost every way. gently caress that game.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I have a steam subcategory called "loving Huge Mistakes"

In it are:
Dragon Age II which I pre-ordered because the first one owned bones and I went in blind
Broken Age wherein I drank the kool-aid yeah
The Force Unleashed which is 30gb of prerendered cutscenes done in the engine but at 240p and on a potato
Eve Online because it's not even a game it's weird

uuugh

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Lamebot posted:

i'm beginning to suspect final fantasy xiii really wasn't worth the 14 dollar i paid for it. it's a truely bad game and the discounted price isn't helping.

14 dollars too much buddy.

Like I'm torn between actually buying it at $1.00 price and pirating it.

Also,

I'll add starbound to the list. My guild was like "oh you need to get this its great!" I did and it was terraria but broken.

Dely Apple posted:

Dragon Age II which I pre-ordered because the first one owned bones and I went in blind

uuugh

Lol at dragon age 2. Dear god I'm glad I played the demo and realized it was poo poo.

As for broken age it was okay... but man did they give us a middle finger.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Dely Apple posted:

In it are:
The Force Unleashed which is 30gb of prerendered cutscenes done in the engine but at 240p and on a potato
Eve Online because it's not even a game it's weird

uuugh

I played Dragon Age 2 on a friends account and I still feel I paid to much for it. If you ever took an improv class or done open mike at a comedy club you'll see someone who's so bad you'll feel uncomfortable. Like their existence makes you embarrassed to be physically near it. That is every spoken line in Dragon Age 2. I felt bad that someone had to be friends or family to someone who thought the dialogue was good enough to be put into something sold for money.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

MegaGatts posted:

I played Dragon Age 2 on a friends account and I still feel I paid to much for it. If you ever took an improv class or done open mike at a comedy club you'll see someone who's so bad you'll feel uncomfortable. Like their existence makes you embarrassed to be physically near it. That is every spoken line in Dragon Age 2. I felt bad that someone had to be friends or family to someone who thought the dialogue was good enough to be put into something sold for money.

The best part is those people think they're actual novelists too. Like Hepler and husband published children books on par with it. The books are just as bad if not worse.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Muttonchips posted:

As far as full price purchases, this one is the worst.

The worst part is those 7 hours were loving awful. Not really enjoyable. I kept on thinking once I'd get the game mechanic down things would get better but once I got one thing down a whole new thing would pop up and I'd repeat the process. Lost count of how many times I died to stupid poo poo because I mistimed a parry.

That's 7 hours I will never get back, and I am never going to reinstall this piece of poo poo game ever.

:smith:

Noooooooo! I'd really encourage you to go back and have another go, its seriously my favorite game ever! Maybe it isn't for you, but that game certainly benefits from taking breaks from it and going back to it. I basically finished it without ever really parrying, so maybe try rolling to dodge stuff instead of parrying it? It's honestly super awesome once you get into it. Did you defeat the second boss? I'd say the game doesn't really present itself until then. Please give it another go though!

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
A friend couldn't stop raving about Dust so I tried it when it came with a humble bundle, and not only was there nothing good about it but now I know something about that friend I wish I didn't

Same deal with Banished except I paid full loving price, I'm not sure what fetish that's aimed at but it's not the having fun playing a good game fetish. Imagine SimCity only there's ten buildings total and you plunk them down when you've got enough resources (about 15 minutes) and that's it, that's the whole game, hope you enjoyed yourself

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 23, 2014

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case

!Klams posted:

Noooooooo! I'd really encourage you to go back and have another go, its seriously my favorite game ever! Maybe it isn't for you, but that game certainly benefits from taking breaks from it and going back to it. I basically finished it without ever really parrying, so maybe try rolling to dodge stuff instead of parrying it? It's honestly super awesome once you get into it. Did you defeat the second boss? I'd say the game doesn't really present itself until then. Please give it another go though!

settle down beavis

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Budohead posted:

settle down beavis

Oh I see!

"Yeah, BRINK, what a piece of poo poo. Why does anyone pre-order? Idiots."

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case
yeah!!! LOL

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

I'm gonna buy Civ 5 in Space, and I pre-emptively regret it.

If Civ games have taught us anything its that you will be able to buy it in 6 weeks during the steam xmas sale for half price and all the extra nations included.

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
Cart Life - artsperg creator would ignore threads about the rampant gamebreaking bugs, then insult/berate paying customers for daring to suggest he bugfix. The little human being won some human being award for it too, got like a $10k prize. Eventually released the game as open source so he'd never be responsible for maintaining it.

Space Base DF9 - I think we all know the story here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
La Noire
Sleeping Dogs - the ad made a point about not being a bad port & that its optimized for pc. Cant customize KB cursor controls

• Locked thread