Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Stotty posted:

Which version was the one where you just stuck your best long range shooter on the edge of the box and played the corners to him because he'd be completely unmarked? Was it FM2011?

It was. It converted 90% of the time, and was good for a obscene 70 goals a season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Chas McGill posted:

The corner exploit from FM12 still sporadically works in 14. Have your biggest man interfere with the keeper, have your best header/finisher at the near post, tell your corner taker to deliver near post. Still results in lots of goals provided you have some big athletic #lads.

I've found this to be pretty effective. Even after the patch the game does a bad job marking the guy attacking the near post. A good target man striker will pick up 5-10 goals a year this way.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
I am scoring most of my corners from outswingers to the front post

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Also I finally managed to win something, won the double in my second year with milan while focusing on italian youngsters. Got a 5 star potential cb regen who at 15 years of age could compete with my 30 year old cb's in the air.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Yeah, the corners thing still works. Maybe not as much as it used to, but having a player with good heading/jumping reach attack the near post will get you a lot of goals.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

yeah I still have my defenders scoring about 6-10 goals per season each from corners even with the fix.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Slightly off topic, but I stumbled across a kickstarter for a football management game earlier.

I never played Football Boss when it was around, but it sounds okay. I think he's talking about making it a single player game though which is far less interesting. Still, FM has such a lack of rivals I've thrown the guy £1 and will probably bump that up to £10 later. Might be worth a look?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Masonity posted:

Slightly off topic, but I stumbled across a kickstarter for a football management game earlier.

I never played Football Boss when it was around, but it sounds okay. I think he's talking about making it a single player game though which is far less interesting. Still, FM has such a lack of rivals I've thrown the guy £1 and will probably bump that up to £10 later. Might be worth a look?

Congrats on being the only backer.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

sassassin posted:

Congrats on being the only backer.

Yeah it probably won't go anywhere will it?

If it was a project to bring Premier Manager for the Megadrive to iOS / Android I'd be forcing you lot to join me. Possibly at knife point. I should probably learn to code and make it a side hobby, not like anyone else is making the fucker. :(

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
As 1st seed for the Champions League, I've been drawn in a group with Juventus, Bayern Munich and Galatasaray.
Cheers, you fuckheads.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Why is angel de maria so weak technically in this game. he has poo poo workrate and stamina. some of the statlines of the real life players in this game really make me wonder

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Slaapaav posted:

Why is angel de maria so weak technically in this game. he has poo poo workrate and stamina. some of the statlines of the real life players in this game really make me wonder

Pogba got downgraded after when he became a Juve regular instead of a Man United youth player.

The database is poo poo and it's hilarious that real clubs pay to use it.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
3 years in and pogba becomes the most complete footballer in the game in my current save

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Masonity posted:

SEARCH ENGINE

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Masonity posted:

He's not going to be able to use real names without licensing

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

The Big Taff Man posted:

He's not going to be able to use real names without licensing

Not at all true. FM doesn't have licensing for 99% of the database. That just means no real picture of them / no club badge / a different but recognisable competition name other than in a few niche situations like the German national team and japan.

See also Jens Mustermann in FM05 up until Kahn retired. That was because he specifically had image rights on his own name and was seen as potentially litigious about it.

But yeah niche cases aside he's fine using real player/team names.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Masonity posted:

Not at all true. FM doesn't have licensing for 99% of the database. That just means no real picture of them / no club badge / a different but recognisable competition name other than in a few niche situations like the German national team and japan.

See also Jens Mustermann in FM05 up until Kahn retired. That was because he specifically had image rights on his own name and was seen as potentially litigious about it.

But yeah niche cases aside he's fine using real player/team names.

Really? Why dont Pro Evo use proper names then?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
So those splash screens when the game loads with the dozens of league logos and text explaining the licensing rights are just there for fun?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Yes and that's why Basketball sims have teams like the Orlandu Majic.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

The Big Taff Man posted:

Really? Why dont Pro Evo use proper names then?

Realistic(ish) graphics as opposed to 1995 graphics.

sassassin posted:

So those splash screens when the game loads with the dozens of league logos and text explaining the licensing rights are just there for fun?

https://www.videogamer.com/pc/football_manager_2014/news/these_are_all_the_official_licenses_included_in_football_manager_2014.html

Go look at what leagues they are. They will have real competition names, real player images and real club badges rather than the generic ones for say the premier league.

The licenses confer rights to the players image, the club logos and the league name / logo NOT the players and club names or the FM database would be hosed.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 20, 2014

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Also as the thread said earlier getting official rights means players can't get drunk in nightclubs and clubs can't fold, both of which I would happily forfeit the official names of leagues or whatever for. I also miss bungs.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Obliterati posted:

Also as the thread said earlier getting official rights means players can't get drunk in nightclubs and clubs can't fold, both of which I would happily forfeit the official names of leagues or whatever for. I also miss bungs.

That's also more "avoiding being sued" rather than "license doesn't allow it".

But yeah I miss USM almost as much as I miss premier manager 97 on the megadrive. We need proper, decent rivals that try to do things different to FM rather than being FM but even shittier or worse yet "FIFA 2008 manager mode with the ability to play removed".

I'd even take a new LMA manager. :-(

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Obliterati posted:

lol I wouldn't and/or don't.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

New Feature #531:

Drones

I seriously would like to see handbags and players getting pulled apart every once in a while though, it's a normal thing that happens in football.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Having a player banned for 6 months for punching a referee was funny. As long as the player was poo poo, anyway.
And players will still miss training after being out on the piss, you just need to have regens or fake players for it to happen.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
FM2015 is £24 on Green Man if you use the code U9OULG-XRTO1V-4VMUGZ at the moment

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Stotty posted:

FM2015 is £24 on Green Man if you use the code U9OULG-XRTO1V-4VMUGZ at the moment

Cheers, picked this up for $40 USD

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

kingturnip posted:

Having a player banned for 6 months for punching a referee was funny. As long as the player was poo poo, anyway.
And players will still miss training after being out on the piss, you just need to have regens or fake players for it to happen.

This is a big reason why I play with regens. When this happens with my stroppy youth players I make an example out of them by keeping them on the club as long as possible, playing them out of position, training them as a goalkeeper, and destroying their career to teach the others a lesson.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

love my bench

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

So, does anyone want to make a proper first post for the new thread / open the new thread, or should I just slap something dumb together when I get back from shopping and throw it up? Rumour is the beta will be out today.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Okay, the FM 15 Beta is now live. I repeat, the Beta is now live. This is not a drill.

Don't forget to delete your inc's everyone!

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Holy poo poo and the new Civ is unlocked in a few hours. I'm gonna die.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
The UI is taking a little bit of getting used to

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

In a few days there will be a nice "old style" skin or ten to download. Hopefully with an instant result button. I need that loving button but will not play classic. If they made it a £5 addon like the editor I'd unlock the fucker.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Masonity posted:

In a few days there will be a nice "old style" skin or ten to download. Hopefully with an instant result button. I need that loving button but will not play classic. If they made it a £5 addon like the editor I'd unlock the fucker.

I understand this viewpoint when you've already played 50 hours of a FM game, but c'mon, this is a new version. Sit back and enjoy a few matches.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

The UI is a bit confusing at first. The first thing I've noticed is that players demand crazy sign on fees. Tried to sign Khedira to Arsenal, both he and his agent wanted £8m each :wtc:

Also, there's a lot of expensive transfers going on. Man Utd just signed a £36m left back (Ricardo Rodriguez) and Verthongen for £30m. Meanwhile I'm Wengering it up looking for bargains and germans.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Mandalay posted:

50 hours of a FM game

you're cute.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Mandalay posted:

I understand this viewpoint when you've already played 50 hours of a FM game, but c'mon, this is a new version. Sit back and enjoy a few matches.

Oh, I don't need it yet, but I will need it. I can't imagine playing a multi decade game without it any more.

And yeah, 50 hour game? That's "first day setup" territory!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Telex posted:

you're cute.

I'm serious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

euroboy posted:

The UI is a bit confusing at first.

The sidebar makes it look really busy.

I think I'd be ok with it if the sidebar scrolled in and out on mouseover or something, but so far my first impressions are that the UI is currently worse and more fragmented than it was in 2014.

• Locked thread