Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Brannock posted:

Are you off any meds that you might be taking? You post very frenetically and frantically.

Why do you keep replacing 's' with 'z' in your posts? Do you think it's cute or quirky? Perhaps you picked it up from another forum community?

I'm just posting on Something Awful, mysterious infatuated anime pizza man, having a blast! Plz seek help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

PT6A posted:

I'm quite capable of introspection, I just recognize that there's a clear difference between fighting and killing for secular democracy and fighting and killing for an extremist Islamic cult, because I don't subscribe to moral relativism.

You are an evil and scary person and your posts make my skin crawl. Please seek professional help.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ceciltron posted:

You are an evil and scary person and your posts make my skin crawl. Please seek professional help.

Why? So I can accept that cutting women's clitorises off and denying them education, and stoning gays, is just, like, their culture, man, and it's all cool? gently caress that. Secularism is better than theocracy of any kind, and it will always be more worthwhile to fight for secularism than for theocracy.

EDIT: I got poo poo on here for using the word "human being" once in a heated argument, and now you're telling me we have to put up with a society that puts gay people to death? What the gently caress is wrong with western "progressives" that they can crawl this far up their rear end without noticing it?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Brannock posted:

Indeed we should hunt down and draft only the most beautiful women and suggest that they will be failing their society if they don't use their charms to quench the fire of terrorism and feed them into the clutches of violent misogynists. Excellent plan.

Do you know how I know you didn't even bother to read the article before responding? The last paragraph.

quote:

The lesson here is not that the United States should host a series of mixers in the Arab world in hopes of encouraging the young men of al Qaeda or other terrorist organizations to forsake violence and embrace family life. Rather, the lesson is that clever, creative thinking can sometimes achieve unimaginable ends. Indeed, rather than concentrating on eliminating organizations, as we mostly do in our approach to countering terrorism, we should perhaps focus at least some of our attention on weaning individuals from violence. It could hardly be any less effective than many of the countermeasures that have long been applied to terrorism—with ephemeral, if not often nugatory, results.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PT6A posted:

I see. That's a wonderfully mature debate technique: if you disagree with someone, make fun of their name!

Ad hominem is the poo poo yo

PT6A posted:

Also, would you like to actually contradict any of the claims I made?

Okay, okay, but I would, actually really for real, like your answer the question I asked you - tit-for-tat and all that; let's get started:

PT6A posted:

1. Islam is not a race, ergo hating Muslims is not racism.

I didn't call you racist, someone else did. I do think you're a hateful ignorant person, projecting an unnecessary amount of bile onto a religion that you know next to nothing about (historically, culturally, or otherwise) and trying to sell it to others as you just being equal in your treatment of people who you view as being unreasonable and irrational - do you see how that might be construed as terrible behavior on your part? Look man, I'm not religious - and I'll gladly argue the finer points of why I think believing in such things is foolish - but engaging in an attempt to tell others what to believe, to impart that you are following the objectively true Way Of Life is so far outside of rational behavior - and any kind of sound judgement - that you might as well be wearing some kind of religious garb; you do not have a monopoly on the truth, you are one person. Your continued degradation of a staple of widespread and largely peaceful culture is the next-best-thing to racism.

quote:

2. I do not hate all, or even most Muslims. I hate a small percentage: extremists.
3. Unlike race, religion is a choice, and thus it is acceptable to judge someone based on their religion and how they practice it.

These two statements are not compatible. That being said, I also despise extremists - not for their religious views (which I disagree with on a personal level), but for their actions. I think that's a reasonable thing to take someone to task on - when they perpetrate harm onto others; maybe you want to argue that merely following the tenets of Islam is perpetrating harm, but I think you'll have some trouble doing so when, as you said, following those tenets is largely a choice. Also, it's possible to criticize individual facets of culture, belief, existence without calling for the damnation of the whole exercise - which seems to be a thing for you (bombs and whatnot).

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

PT6A posted:

Why? So I can accept that cutting women's clitorises off and denying them education, and stoning gays, is just, like, their culture, man, and it's all cool? gently caress that. Secularism is better than theocracy of any kind, and it will always be more worthwhile to fight for secularism than for theocracy.

Cool, why haven't you signed up with the YPG to fight ISIS then if you're so strongly in favour of killing them all?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

I'm quite capable of introspection, I just recognize that there's a clear difference between fighting and killing for secular democracy and fighting and killing for an extremist Islamic cult, because I don't subscribe to moral relativism.

PT6A posted:

EDIT: I got poo poo on here for using the word "human being" once in a heated argument, and now you're telling me we have to put up with a society that puts gay people to death? What the gently caress is wrong with western "progressives" that they can crawl this far up their rear end without noticing it?

This is amazing, this is literally impossible to discuss with you because you don't even understand what the discussion is about.

Church
Jul 1, 2005

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

People seem to be at a loss for what to do about these radicalized youth overseas (other than bomb them) and I keep remembering this old article about how the PLO used love and family to stop their most extreme terror agents after they didn't have a use for them anymore:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2001/12/all-you-need-is-love/302351/?single_page=true

I'm not suggesting this article has all the answers, but I've always remembered the story. The government of Northern Ireland used similar tactics at one time to deal with their large political prisoner problem.

I never ever thought I'd say this but good job PLO for thinking outside of the box. Never would have crossed my mind to fight terrorism with good looking women and love. Sound like something you would read in a Dune novel, something the Bene Gesserit would pull out and use for terrible purpose.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Brannock posted:

Indeed we should hunt down and draft only the most beautiful women and suggest that they will be failing their society if they don't use their charms to quench the fire of terrorism and feed them into the clutches of violent misogynists. Excellent plan.

If you don't think that your average Haji footsoldier wouldn't trade squatting in the hinterlands for the average 3br/2ba with a lawn and a mortgage then you don't know much about people.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Pls seek help is going to be the SJW of the future because people are going to overuse it in a deluded attempt to use the default E/N response as an insult.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kafka Esq. posted:

Pls seek help is going to be the SJW of the future because people are going to overuse it in a deluded attempt to use the default E/N response as an insult.

Have you considered therapy?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

or a soothing herbal tea

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

JawKnee posted:

or a soothing herbal tea

z(zz)... help

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

JawKnee posted:

Ad hominem is the poo poo yo

Okay, okay, but I would, actually really for real, like your answer the question I asked you - tit-for-tat and all that; let's get started:

I didn't call you racist, someone else did. I do think you're a hateful ignorant person, projecting an unnecessary amount of bile onto a religion that you know next to nothing about (historically, culturally, or otherwise) and trying to sell it to others as you just being equal in your treatment of people who you view as being unreasonable and irrational - do you see how that might be construed as terrible behavior on your part? Look man, I'm not religious - and I'll gladly argue the finer points of why I think believing in such things is foolish - but engaging in an attempt to tell others what to believe, to impart that you are following the objectively true Way Of Life is so far outside of rational behavior - and any kind of sound judgement - that you might as well be wearing some kind of religious garb; you do not have a monopoly on the truth, you are one person. Your continued degradation of a staple of widespread and largely peaceful culture is the next-best-thing to racism.

These two statements are not compatible. That being said, I also despise extremists - not for their religious views (which I disagree with on a personal level), but for their actions. I think that's a reasonable thing to take someone to task on - when they perpetrate harm onto others; maybe you want to argue that merely following the tenets of Islam is perpetrating harm, but I think you'll have some trouble doing so when, as you said, following those tenets is largely a choice. Also, it's possible to criticize individual facets of culture, belief, existence without calling for the damnation of the whole exercise - which seems to be a thing for you (bombs and whatnot).

I don't hate Muslims, I don't think Islam is bad in and of itself, and I have studied it. I think the extremism which forms the basis of pseudo-states like ISIS (and real states like Saudi Arabia) is a horrible perversion of it, and I don't think to call them out on their bullshit means that I am degrading Islam itself, or those that practice a reasonable form of it. Likewise, I can say FLDS leaders and their followers who gently caress children are bad people who should be jailed without thinking that the average Mormon is a bad person.

I mean, bombing isn't the ideal solution for dealing with bad people, but the fact that we've let the area get so far out of control means that a lot of our other options, like building infrastructure and education straight away, and dealing with criminals through a standard legal process, have sort of vanished. I wish it weren't so, but sadly it seems to be.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

If you don't think that your average Haji footsoldier wouldn't trade squatting in the hinterlands for the average 3br/2ba with a lawn and a mortgage then you don't know much about people.

What about people that were born and grew up in the West, and had all these opportunities, and still go over to fight and die for the lovely cult known as ISIS?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Dreylad posted:

Have you considered therapy?

*snap*

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

I mean, bombing isn't the ideal solution for dealing with bad people, but the fact that we've let the area get so far out of control means that a lot of our other options, like building infrastructure and education straight away, and dealing with criminals through a standard legal process, have sort of vanished. I wish it weren't so, but sadly it seems to be.

You don't get to play the heavy-harted pragmatic realist and advocate bombing entire towns to dust for potentially harbouring terrorists in the same thread you ridiculous nut.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Do you know how I know you didn't even bother to read the article before responding? The last paragraph.

If you wanted people to discover a hidden secret in a posted article suggest that they read all of it, instead of posting seemingly the only pertinent part of it. The PLO's plan was shockingly sexist and I'd be surprised if there weren't any women who saw negative consequences from it. If that's what qualifies as "brilliantly thinking out of the box" then count me out.

Zeroisanumber posted:

People in Europe are actively fleeing their comfortable lives to go join ISIS. Clearly that carrot doesn't hold much appeal for some people.

Kafka Esq. posted:

I'm just waiting for the false overly-cheerful style (while secretly being seethingly angry behind the monitor) to become passe, really. Seems to be a thing among certain spinoff communities.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

What about people that were born and grew up in the West, and had all these opportunities, and still go over to fight and die for the lovely cult known as ISIS?

the numbers (or lack thereof) tends to speak to mental illness rather than just up and trucking off to go adventure in the wastes and poo poo in buckets. Also poverty and such are not restricted to these areas.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

People seem to be at a loss for what to do about these radicalized youth overseas (other than bomb them) and I keep remembering this old article about how the PLO used love and family to stop their most extreme terror agents after they didn't have a use for them anymore:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2001/12/all-you-need-is-love/302351/?single_page=true

I'm not suggesting this article has all the answers, but I've always remembered the story. The government of Northern Ireland used similar tactics at one time to deal with their large political prisoner problem.
Thanks for that link. Saudi Arabia also involves families in their deradicalization programs:

quote:

Saudi efforts have also expanded the role of a detainee's family. In addition to visiting during the program and providing post-release support, family members now provide input on how to design specialized programs for each detainee and inform how his progress is evaluated. Center staff also use sequenced trial releases with the families to observe how each party responds to the other, assess the individual undergoing rehabilitation, and determine whether family members will be capable of supervising him after release. This last element is critical to ensure the family can help prevent a formerly violent extremist from becoming a threat again. Though very time consuming and difficult to implement for more than small groups at a time, security officials point to potential long-term benefits in this approach--particularly regarding broader efforts to combat radicalization in Saudi society.

http://www.cfr.org/radicalization-and-extremism/saudi-deradicalization-experiment/p21292
There's a lot of similarities between extremist groups and cults. A lot of them are one and the same, like Aum Shinrikyo. I think one of the biggest attractions extremist groups offer is a sense of purpose and meaning in an incoherent society. People who have an insecure identity and weak sense of themselves are more prone to falling into one of these movements.

It's not for no reason young men who've gone off to college, or otherwise separated from their families are prime cult material. A lot of suicide bombers are not the oppressed of the earth, they're young engineering students who are very, very confused. So having families and parents involved is very important. Having someone's mommy tell them to "knock it off" sounds silly, but that has probably way more power for a young Muslim kid growing up in the West than some massive law enforcement response.

There's a role for law enforcement. But some kind of system where police can talk to parents about their kids and say "hey, what's happening to little Timmy isn't good. You don't want to see this happening. We don't want to see this, etc." And try to give parents a way to steer their kids away from becoming radicalized without treating them as criminals.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 21:13 on Oct 23, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Brannock posted:

their comfortable lives

evidence?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Brannock posted:

If you wanted people to discover a hidden secret in a posted article suggest that they read all of it, instead of posting seemingly the only pertinent part of it. The PLO's plan was shockingly sexist and I'd be surprised if there weren't any women who saw negative consequences from it. If that's what qualifies as "brilliantly thinking out of the box" then count me out.

If you don't want to read the article, then don't comment on it. It isn't my job to spoon feed you ideas. :rolleyes:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Amongst explosions, gunfire, and falling rocks:

"Bomb the Extremists!"

"Wait, Sarge, how can we tell the Extremists from the regular people just trying to live their lives?!"

"That's a good question, Private." *removes helmet casually sits on the remains of a rock wall* "You see, Extremists can look like anyone- women, children, teenagers, shop keepers, brides and grooms... there really isn't anyway to tell, so don't worry that little head of yours too much!" *pats Private on the head*

"Let's get back to work, guys!"

*The camera pulls back and it's revealed that the soldiers are fighting those Christian "Extremists" that I mentioned a few posts back and that the battlefield is actually a suburb in North America*

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
:golfclap:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

If you don't want to read the article, then don't comment on it. It isn't my job to spoon feed you ideas. :rolleyes:

No, thats the job of the PMO. :downsrim:

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Hmm, I see you've heard of this supposed fifth dimension, far beyond what is known to man.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

MagicCube posted:

Hmm, I see you've heard of this suposed fifth dimension, far beyond what is known to man.

Step into my office *splash*

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

PT6A posted:

Well you also got poo poo for wanting to use the "fell down a flight of stairs, open mouthed, into a pile of dicks" line on one page, then a few pages later called someone else out for attributing "fag" to you because "you are against [homophobia]". TBF, the comment about your lacking introspection probably stems more from this pattern of behaviour.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Political Whores posted:

Gotta say that I'm not really feeling sympathetic to the social alienation of a thirty-something white dude who decides to identify with a bunch of reactionary assholes as a way of finding himself. Him and the other one both died living out a stupid macho fantasy in the service of an extremely misogynistic and bigoted ideology, and we're supposed to ignore all that in favor of the great class struggle narrative? It takes a certain type of person to kill other people like this, and I'm not convinced that we should view these people any different from any other right wing shithead murderer because their sociopathy manifested slightly differently.
Of course what they do is terrible. But if you looked at Hitler and the only thing you said was "well he's a really bad guy" it would just be a truism and not really tell you very much about how he got to where he was. Or the Nazis in general. You want to study why so many people in Germany at that time got wrapped up in a movement like that.

I think we should have methodological empathy. It's basically about trying to put yourself in the head of someone who joins a cult or extremist movement, without agreeing with what they do or justifying it, at all. And I don't take a great class struggle narrative, more a boring liberal one about how to reduce social alienation.

If there's a "left" and a "right" argument. The "left" argument is trying to find reasons why the government is to blame, and the "right" is trying to blame Islam or whatever. But I think both approaches will continue to fail at preventing people from becoming radicalized.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 21:23 on Oct 23, 2014

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

drat, Michael Bay gets back to you really fast when you send him ideas for movies:

Michael Bay posted:

Plz seek help and find enclosed cheque

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Does this count as a macro? If so, sorry.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The idea that bombing ISIS is "fighting for what's right" is laughable unless you believe ISIS to be right, because ISIS will benefit enormously from the anger and terror created by the bombing whereas everyone else everywhere will have to deal with a bigger, stronger ISIS that's beginning to pervade absolutely loving everything because all the PT6As of the world are still stubbornly convinced that "bomb the bad guys" is the solution despite the fact that "the bad guys" increases steadily in scope along with ISIS along with the scope of the moronic loving campaign of directionless, vengeance-driven, us-vs-them mass aggression. If you want to join ISIS, simply advocate bombing ISIS; they need individual recruiters more than they need individual soldiers and they will thank you for sending them so many more clueless kids to brainwash and feed into the meat grinder. You complete goddamn bloodthirsty dunce.

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
I'm gonna take a moment away from calling for the heads of middle eastern children to ask about this relatively mundane NIMBY issue. Can any of you science/energy/pollution minded goons tell me if the town residents had a real complaint here or are they getting up in arms about nothing? To me, it seems like somebody just read the word 'hydrogen' in the plant's description and yelled "MY GOD, THAT'S A CHEMICAL, RIGHT?" but I don't actually know. From reading about it briefly, hydrogen fuel cells seem like a pretty good thing overall, yes?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/10/21/canadian_tire_suspends_hydrogen_project_after_star_story.html

quote:

Canadian Tire has suspended a hydrogen pilot project in Caledon after a Star report revealed the Town of Caledon kept the plans from residents and some officials.

A Star report Tuesday found that Caledon’s fire chief, its deputy fire chief, a sitting councillor running for mayor and the former Ontario Minister who signed off on a special order that allowed Caledon to grant the building permit all said they had no knowledge that hydrogen might be used at the facility, which is currently under construction.

“As of this morning we have temporarily suspended the hydrogen fuel cell pilot in Brampton and Bolton,” Canadian Tire senior vice-president Duncan Fulton stated via email Tuesday afternoon. “And we will be public and transparent about any intention to restart the pilot projects after reviewing additional research and due diligence.”

The massive warehouse distribution centre — which will be the size of the Yorkdale shopping mall — has been mired in controversy since 2012, when Caledon council first dealt with the proposal.

A residents’ group in Bolton, a community in the town of Caledon, is outraged over being kept in the dark about the plan, which involved a hazardous material.

Kim Seipt, a spokesperson for the group Your Voice For Bolton said she does not blame Canadian Tire.
“It’s pretty clear that Canadian Tire is simply trying to do business. But this entire project has been completely mishandled by Caledon officials and the mayor. Why have they continuously kept the public in the dark about key details? Now we find out they were even thinking of producing hydrogen here. Did they plan on ever telling us?”

Canadian Tire told the Star last week that the plans to possibly use hydrogen had been submitted to the Town of Caledon.

Mayor Marolyn Morrison and Caledon chief administrative officer Doug Barnes did not respond to questions on Canadian Tire’s decision Tuesday. Morrison also did not respond to earlier questions on why the public wasn’t told of the hydrogen plan.

According to documents obtained by the Star, Canadian Tire appears to have been transparent about its plans to possibly use hydrogen.
“I understand that the plans for the pilot have evolved over time, but any perception that we’ve hidden something is simply not the way we operate and doesn’t reflect our culture or brand,” Canadian Tire’s Fulton stated on Tuesday.

He added that Canadian Tire has “asked our supply chain executives and engineers to share with us all the studies collected on the safe and efficient use of hydrogen fuel cells. We will be asking for further studies and due diligence — and we have also asked to collect learnings from our competitors in North America — some of whom have been safely using hydrogen fuel cells in their distribution centres for years.”

However, questions remain about why Caledon officials and Morrison, who championed the project, did not inform the public or other officials that were involved with the file about hydrogen use.

Revelations about the hydrogen pilot project are only the latest in ongoing controversy over Canadian Tire’s facility in Caledon. In a surprise move last summer, with council supporting the project and a growing number of residents opposing it, Linda Jeffrey, former minister of municipal affairs and housing (MMAH), issued a rarely used ministerial zoning order.

Such an order overrides all local planning processes and clears the way for a project to move ahead. After the order, the town issued a building permit and Canadian Tire began construction. Then in January, Jeffrey referred her decision to issue the zoning order to the Ontario Municipal Board. The hearing begins next month, but the town has not issued a stop work order.
Jeffrey, who resigned from the provincial government in March to run for mayor of Brampton, said she did not know about the use of hydrogen.

The new facility was the focus of a candidates’ debate Tuesday night in Bolton — a debate attended by only one council incumbent,
Councillor Richard Whitehead, who drew applause for entering what one candidate called the lion’s den. Whitehead was later jeered, however, when defending the project.

“The Canadian Tire debacle is at top of mind for many people here,” Gary Cascone, a mayoral candidate said. “What else has been hidden behind those closed doors?” he asked as some residents in the packed Bolton community centre yelled “shame.”

The Star learned of the plans through Quebec court documents alleging wrongful contract termination by Oakville-based architect Glenn Piotrowski of Civelec Consultants Inc., a firm that specializes in fire protection design.
Piotrowski’s architectural firm was hired by Canadian Tire for the Caledon project. Canadian Tire is not named as a defendant, and there are no allegations of wrongdoing against the company.

Civelec is seeking $678,000 in its lawsuit against Piotrowski and alleges its concerns about hydrogen use at the Caledon facility are one of the reasons its contract was terminated.

In the statement of claim, Civelec alleges that one of the main reasons the company was removed from the project was because it insisted the project needed the highest national fire code designation available for high-hazard industrial buildings. It’s known as an “F-1” designation. Piotrowski, the claim alleges, did not want an F-1 designation, despite the presence of hazardous materials that warranted it.

The allegations have not been proven in court. Piotrowki has not filed a statement of defence.
Piotrowski declined to comment on the allegations after he was contacted by the Star.

“This distribution centre poses extreme fire protection hazards,” reads Civelec’s statement of claim, which was initiated on March 14, 2014. The document states the presence of “corrosive liquids, explosive gases, aerosols” and other flammable materials that would be housed in the distribution facility as a concern.

The statement of claim also alleges that Piotrowski instructed “that hydrogen use was to be ignored until Canadian Tire ‘officially advised’ of its use in the building.”

The statement of claim goes on to say Piotrowski “specifically instructed Civelec not to contact the public authorities.”
The claim also states: “When Canadian Tire insisted on receiving the design requirements for hydrogen fuelling safety, Civelec could only provide a general overview of the safety requirements, as the architectural plans did not contain any specifications for hydrogen.”

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

PT6A posted:

I don't hate Muslims, I don't think Islam is bad in and of itself, and I have studied it. I think the extremism which forms the basis of pseudo-states like ISIS (and real states like Saudi Arabia) is a horrible perversion of it, and I don't think to call them out on their bullshit means that I am degrading Islam itself, or those that practice a reasonable form of it. Likewise, I can say FLDS leaders and their followers who gently caress children are bad people who should be jailed without thinking that the average Mormon is a bad person.

DarkCrawler posted:

What are you proposing? You talk loud like every sad chickenhawk but you don't have any solutions or mention any specifics beyond "BOMB THEM". I'm interested in you explaining how we can eliminate a global insurgency with violent means, when forces far more brutal then us who don't give a poo poo about civilian casualties have failed to eliminate insurgencies within their own small borders after decades of fighting, throughout the entire human existence. Pretty much only violent means that has worked is indiscriminate genocide in insurgent areas to eliminate every potential threat. What do you have to propose for a violent alternative or are you literally calling for genocide?

Anything? What do we bomb and how do we make it a long-lasting solution that will work now and stop terrorism despite having never worked before without mass murder? Explain to me your thought process here.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The idea that bombing ISIS abroad will reduce radicalization at home is a stupid idea. But ISIS could very well thrive in the absence of Western military intervention. It doesn't necessarily follow that if the West withdrew from the Middle East, that ISIS would go away. It might become more powerful. (I think the main driver for ISIS recruitment is their military successes, in any case.)

But a challenge for governments is how to disentangle these issues. I think a lot of what's driving radicalization in Western countries have to do with what's going on in those countries. If you look at the 7/7 bombers, three were born in the UK and another one in Jamaica.

You can look at support for ISIS -- it's much stronger in Western countries than in many Middle Eastern states:

quote:

The most striking as well as encouraging finding is that ISIS has almost no popular support in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, or Lebanon—even among Sunnis. Among Egyptians, a mere 3 percent express a favorable opinion of ISIS. In Saudi Arabia, the figure is slightly higher: 5 percent rate ISIS positively. In Lebanon, not a single Christian, Shiite, or Druze respondent viewed ISIS favorably; and even among Lebanon's Sunnis, that figure is almost equally low at 1 percent.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/119857/polls-middle-east-about-islamic-state-have-surprising-results
Which is a funny thing if you believe Western intervention is to blame for why people join ISIS. When Lebanese (who get regularly invaded by Israel) support is near zero. Now contrast that, with this:

quote:

One in six French citizens sympathises with the Islamist militant group ISIS, also known as Islamic State, a poll released this week found.

The poll of European attitudes towards the group, carried out by ICM for Russian news agency Rossiya Segodnya, revealed that 16% of French citizens have a positive opinion of ISIS. This percentage increases among younger respondents, spiking at 27% for those aged 18-24.

http://www.newsweek.com/16-french-citizens-support-isis-poll-finds-266795

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
According to the RCMP, Zehaf-Bibeau was not one of the 90 high-risk people being investigated.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

more like dICK posted:

According to the RCMP, Zehaf-Bibeau was not one of the 90 high-risk people being investigated.

welp, where are we sending the bombs now?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Omi-Polari posted:

The idea that bombing ISIS abroad will reduce radicalization at home is a stupid idea. But ISIS could very well thrive in the absence of Western military intervention. It doesn't necessarily follow that if the West withdrew from the Middle East, that ISIS would go away. It might become more powerful. (I think the main driver for ISIS recruitment is their military successes, in any case.)

But a challenge for governments is how to disentangle these issues. I think a lot of what's driving radicalization in Western countries have to do with what's going on in those countries. If you look at the 7/7 bombers, three were born in the UK and another one in Jamaica.

You can look at support for ISIS -- it's much stronger in Western countries than in many Middle Eastern states:

Now contrast that, with this:

I don't think anyone disputes that destroying ISIS's conventional fighting force by military means is a *GOOD idea and that is in fact what is being done now. People are objecting to the retarded idea that bombing works against terrorism.

DarkCrawler has issued a correction as of 21:56 on Oct 23, 2014

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

JawKnee posted:

welp, where are we sending the bombs now?

Quebec? Maybe Vancouver too, I hear he lived there for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DarkCrawler posted:

I don't think anyone disputes that destroying ISIS's conventional fighting force by military means is a bad idea and that is in fact what is being done now. People are objecting to the retarded idea that bombing works against terrorism.
Gotcha.

So sorta related, I thought this was interesting:

quote:

At the Burnaby mosque, Mr. Bathurst said his friend’s “erratic” behaviour – he did not elaborate – caused frictions with the elders at the house of worship, who asked him to stop attending prayers. At that time, Mr. Zehaf-Bibeau was living in a barely furnished single-room apartment.

Mr. Bathurst said he recalls his friend being arrested at the mosque a few years ago after bizarrely calling police to tell them about a crime he had committed many years before.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/suspected-killer-in-ottawa-shootings-had-a-disturbing-side/article21252419/
^ That's really typical of people like this. I think one of the Boston bombers also got kicked out of his mosque. They tend to "overdo" it and it scares people, so they get expelled, and further down the hole they go.

• Locked thread