Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Zack's looking forward to spending his birthday alone in his bedroom so I hope somebody convinces him to do otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

TL posted:

I was such a happy Mets fan in 2007. I was so excited for Lastings Milledge to get called up that I taped his debut, sure it'd be a memento I'd treasure for years and years. I'm the biggest idiot ever.

I dropped everything when the news broke he was getting called up and went to the loving game, think how I feel.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

spanky69 posted:

N:

AL Sporting News Manager of the Year Voting:

Mike Scioscia - 6 :laffo:
Buck Showalter - 5
Lloyd McClendon - 3

NL Sporting News Manager of the Year Voting:

Matt Williams - 4 :lol:
Mike Matheny - 2 :ughh:
Mike Redmond - 1

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

FairGame posted:

I disagree. He really had no idea how to use his bullpen (let Soriano repeatedly die, abused Storen early, inexplicably let Jerry Blevins face RHB in equal proportions to LHB despite a .800/.400 OPS split) and then there was the massive fuckup in NLDS Game 2.

I won't hold the "kept trotting Ryan Zimmerman out at 3b until Zimmerman's injury mercifully ended things" problem against him. I'm not sure if he's smart enough to know Rendon at 3rd is the better choice or not, but given that Zimmerman's been the face of the franchise it's always struck me as more of a "Yes we KNOW but we can't move him for the same reason Derek Jeter is still shortstopping the Yankees" kind of thing.

Actually the reason they couldn't sit Zimmerman is because that would have meant starting Danny ".465 OPS" Espinosa at 2nd, and it's absolutely the right decision to keep Zim and Rendon's bats in the lineup over that, even if he air-mails every 5th throw.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Is he cool and good or is he bad and dumb?

Sorry, I read this on my phone but I hate phoneposting but then I forgot about it when I got in front of a computer.

Anyway. Obviously it's impossible to give an exact answer, but I think you should be pretty happy. The Pirates thought highly enough of Bannister that they held him over from the Russell era without giving Hurdle a chance to bring his own bench coach in; word is that he would've got the manager gig if Hurdle didn't take it. The Pirates seem to be one of the best orgs in communicating between the FO/analytics people and the coaching staff, and Bannister had a big hand in that; he was, for instance, essentially the "defensive coordinator" as they undertook their very successful shift initiative. This probably has something to do with the recent Jon Daniels quote that he's no longer convinced the Rangers are at the front of the pack sabermetrically. That said, there's of course no guarantee that Bannister isn't going to be the next guy giving Fangraphs an "I believe fully in analytics, but the first option is always to go with my gut" quote a la Mike Matheny.

Also, Lastings Milledge owns y'all

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Twins have narrowed their managerial search to Paul Molitor, Doug Mientkiewicz, and Torey Lovullo. It sounds like the front office was super impressed with Lovullo but there may be some pressure from higher up to stick with Molitor, who's basically been the manager in waiting for the last three years or so.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I never thought I'd say this but I'm really anxious for the offseason to start. I'm cautiously optimistic to see how the sans Friedman FO handles things but aaaa

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

davecrazy posted:

I dropped everything when the news broke he was getting called up and went to the loving game, think how I feel.
One could do worse than a legacy as one of the founding members of the Milledge People, no?

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

remember when milledge high fived fans going out to play the outfield and people got mad

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

tadashi posted:

Beyond the Boxscore simulated the playoffs with the worst teams in each division plus the next two worst teams in each league as the wild card game.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2014/10/21/7017083/under-world-series-reds-twins-cueto

The Cubs lose the underworld NLCS in 7 games. Can't even get into a fake world series. :suicide:

It's just kind of weird to consider a playoff series involving the Astros, Cubs or Twins. Every other team has been relevant somewhat recently (I guess the Twins aren't that far removed from 2010).

I'm just sorry Cruz is getting a QO because it may have been fun to see him hit dingers in Colorado and try to play in that outfield.

The most unbelievable thing about this article is that Junior Lake is apparently a good player.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Scob posted:

remember when milledge high fived fans going out to play the outfield and people got mad

Sorry, that's bush league bullshit. Have some respect for the game. Shameful.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

The Midniter posted:

Sorry, it actually owned because baseball should be as fun as possible and that was fun.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

The Midniter posted:

lol

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Gold Glove Finalists announced and there's no Jeter but there is a return of Adam Jones who could 3-peat. UZR actually liked him a little this year. Justin Upton nominated for left field :lol:. I assume that means he got a lot of votes.

AL, catcher: Alex Avila, Yan Gomes, Salvador Perez
AL, first base: Eric Hosmer, Miguel Cabrera, Albert Pujols
AL, second base: Robinson Cano, Dustin Pedroia, Ian Kinsler
AL, third base: Josh Donaldson, Adrian Beltre, Kyle Seager
AL, shortstop: Alcides Escobar, J.J. Hardy, Alexei Ramirez
AL, left field: Alex Gordon, Michael Brantley, Yoenis Cespedes
AL, center field: Adam Jones, Adam Eaton, Jackie Bradley Jr.
AL, right field: Kole Calhoun, Kevin Kiermaier, Nick Markakis
AL, pitcher: Mark Buehrle, Felix Hernandez, Dallas Keuchel

NL, catcher: Jonathan Lucroy, Russell Martin, Yadier Molina
NL, first base: Adrian Gonzalez, Justin Morneau, Adam LaRoche
NL, second base: D.J. LeMahieu, Brandon Phillips, Chase Utley
NL, third base: Nolan Arenado, Juan Uribe, Pablo Sandoval
NL, shortstop: Zack Cozart, Adeiny Hechavarria, Andrelton Simmons
NL, left field: Justin Upton, Starling Marte, Christian Yelich
NL, center field: Billy Hamilton, Denard Span, Juan Lagares
NL, right field: Jason Heyward, Gerardo Parra, Giancarlo Stanton
NL, pitcher: Zack Greinke, Clayton Kershaw, Adam Wainwright

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I'm assuming Miggy got a lot of computer votes from his +4 UZR this season. If actual people voted for him then I give up.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
AL, first base: Eric Hosmer, Miguel Cabrera, Albert Pujols

well, that sure is a thing

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Brett Gardner is never going to win a gold glove :(

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Braves won't name a GM, instead giving Hart the title of "president of baseball operations" and sharing duties with Coppolella in a kind of mentorship deal.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Braves won't name a GM, instead giving Hart the title of "president of baseball operations" and sharing duties with Coppolella in a kind of mentorship deal.

I'm very curious to see what his first moves are. The media keeps suggesting they might trade a corner outfielder and move Gattis to LF which would be hilarious since he is not as good at hitting or playing defense as J Upton.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pujols isn't a Palmeiro like joke but he dh'd quite a bit

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lorenzo Cain? Thought he'd be a finalist.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

kiimo posted:

Lorenzo Cain? Thought he'd be a finalist.

Only played 723 innings at center field. Everybody else nominated had well over 900. By defensive metrics, he was well ahead of a lot of people.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I always thought trout was a good cf though maybe that has gone away with his sb numbers? No aybar sucks but at least pujols and Calhoun got nominated.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

tadashi posted:

I'm very curious to see what his first moves are. The media keeps suggesting they might trade a corner outfielder and move Gattis to LF which would be hilarious since he is not as good at hitting or playing defense as J Upton.

Anybody who would move Gattis to left field for any amount of time should be immediately fired

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Good Dog posted:

I always thought trout was a good cf though maybe that has gone away with his sb numbers? No aybar sucks but at least pujols and Calhoun got nominated.

He's really good but the lovely defensive metrics think he's bad.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Maybe if Trout didn't have a tiny baby arm

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

He's really good but the lovely defensive metrics think he's bad.

I think he's better than his metrics but watching him quite a bit I think he has also fallen off defensively from his rookie year. Definitely not below average, but I don't think he's in the discussion for best defensive center fielder in baseball anymore.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

tadashi posted:

AL, right field: Kole Calhoun, Kevin Kiermaier, Nick Markakis

Too many Ks in these names. Mix it up a little, GG voters. This is the only analysis I have.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
If lucroy doesn't get the glove I will be so cranky.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So Rube is going to pay Grady Sizemore $2 million next year.

Rube.

Rube Never Changes.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
It's "too much" money, but really the issue is why did you already sign Grady Sizemore when if you gave him a ST invite he'd follow you around like a puppy?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That team is going nowhere. Might as well burn more money.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Is it me or is this becoming more common, where teams have weird new titles and guys overseeing GMs? No one even knew who was in charge of the Diamondbacks after LaRussa stepped in with his dubious title.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Rand alPaul posted:

Is it me or is this becoming more common, where teams have weird new titles and guys overseeing GMs? No one even knew who was in charge of the Diamondbacks after LaRussa stepped in with his dubious title.

This is an offshoot of American business. Nowhere to put you? We'll make up a title.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Rand alPaul posted:

The Rangers did this with Nolan Ryan and it was awful.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

LaRussa needed the ability to switch his front-office personnel around to exploit the matchups. What if he needs to trade with a left-handed GM?

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Braves need a czar.

They also need an ambassador.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

If lucroy doesn't get the glove I will be so cranky.

It'll be Yadi and it's gonna be funny when everyone gets mad about it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MourningView posted:

It'll be Yadi and it's gonna be funny when everyone gets mad about it.

Lucroy was a better hitter, nearly as good a catcher, and played nearly every day. If Yadi gets it, it's pretty loving transparent that he's just been crowned king for as long as he plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Lucroy was a better hitter, nearly as good a catcher, and played nearly every day.

Irrelavant, point against Lucroy, pretty good point for Lucroy.

• Locked thread