Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I liked the Dad's version of the Flash at least originally because that 90s show showed him running in just plain clothes and them getting torn to shreds, but here Barry's running all around and not even a hair is out of place. His shoes are fine nothing is effected except for him going "well, lordee-la, boy ah am surely feelin' a mite bit peckish tonight, I do declare, from all that runnin' ah've been up to!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Drifter posted:

I liked the Dad's version of the Flash at least originally because that 90s show showed him running in just plain clothes and them getting torn to shreds, but here Barry's running all around and not even a hair is out of place. His shoes are fine nothing is effected except for him going "well, lordee-la, boy ah am surely feelin' a mite bit peckish tonight, I do declare, from all that runnin' ah've been up to!"

They mentioned the suit was able to withstand heat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Speed Force is literally "Prevents every conceivable thing bad about super speed."

Except metabolism I guess.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of want this (or at least just the blurry face bit) for an avatar.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013

Wolvorine posted:

I see this point come up a lot, and it's a huge pet peeve of mine. Why can't Flash have dark hair, why can't Superman be black, etc. The reason, for me at least, is a simple matter of Character Fidelity. It's not that they are Important Things (well some can be, relatively, depends on how much you're changing a character), it's that the character is the character, and I feel that when dealing with a character that has established qualities, one should respect them enough not to treat them as expendable without very good reason.

It may seem silly that a brunette Barry Allen is Wrong Barry Allen to me, or that Wally West should be a white redhead, or whatever. And maybe it kind of is, but it's not only an issue of 'Why isn't Barry blonde?", it's a larger issue of 'If you're going to do the character, why not do them faithfully, else why did you use that character?".

In this case... it's so damned simple to just blonde his hair a bit, it's a trivial effort to make. But for anyone familiar with Barry Allen in comics, for that tiny, trivial little effort what you get is a TV Barry Allen who looks just a little more familiar as that character. And like I said in my last post, even that would be a lot easier to ignore if they didn't have this other actor there who does look a damned lot like comics Barry.

*shrugs* It's all just a matter of Character Fidelity IMHO. Respect the property if you're going to be using it; not just the biggest, most obvious aspects of it.

[[EDIT: It may also help to note that IP matters are a huge deal in what I do, so it's an issue that is important to me for practical reasons as well as personal opinion-based reasons.]]

You probably hate that Daniel Craig is bond also don't you? Guess what Daniel Craig is probably the best Bond in quite a while. All signs point to Grant Gustin being the best Flash adaptation in a while. Get over your preconceived mental picture.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wait, so we know that the science team has a supervillan jail now. And we know who is playing Captain Cold, Heatwave, plus maybe clock king and new Vertigo wnd up down there too. Jesus they are going for it I swear.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Drifter posted:

Barry's running all around and not even a hair is out of place.

In the first episode he ran to Starling City and it literally set his jacket on fire.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wait Superman can't be black? Its an alternate version, you should really just relax

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I would pay a billion dollars to see a black superman movie directed by Steve McQueen. Or Spike Lee. Even Spike Jonze

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

bobkatt013 posted:

That's just the suit, though. He runs around in regular clothes all the time.

Though I prefer unrealistic clothes and hair than having Barry constantly being on fire.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

It's funny they're rumored to doing another Static Shock show, I got a very Bang Babies vibe from the origin of Flash and his villains in this show

Before Barry's villains were rewritten into metahumans and Static and the Bang Babies came into existence, there was the Gene Bomb and the Invasion! event in 1989. The event basically tried to unify power sources for various characters by way of the metagene that typically lay dormant in some humans before being activated by some thing or another (this, at the time, included characters like Count Vertigo or Black Canary or The Flash). Near the end of this arc, a weapon called "The Gene Bomb" was set off, activating or otherwise enhancing other metahumans.

In the early 90s, Static debuts alongside other Bang Babies that, after Milestone gets folded into the DCU, get retconned into being metahumans after the Big Bang activated their metagenes instead of whatever it was that it originally did. With the speedsters, the Speed Force was added into canon around the mid-90s with part of the explanation being that their metagene allowed them to access it.

I'd ask a goon from BSS to double-check this, but I think it's mostly accurate.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Fealty to the source material only works when there's a clear and concise version to draw from. The Flash, like any other major comic book character, has been through a billion interpretations. They're mixing and matching all sorts of tones and inspirations to give us their version of Barry Allen.

At the risk of sounding like a dolt, I do think hair color/race/background can be essential to the story. For me, Mary Jane Watson is an iconic redhead - its an extension of her outgoing "party girl" persona. But has there ever been a single The Flash story where it matters that Barry is blond?

And while there's definitely some Peter Parker lurking around The Flash's DNA, I think Grant Gustin's earnestness really reminds of Christopher Reeve. There's a sincerity and honesty that the writers are very smart to draw out. Especially given that Oliver Queen is such a closed emotional circuit of a character. Also, RyanMcGee over at screencrush noted how much Jonathan Kent and Detective West have in common - different occupations but a similar sort've paternal love.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Wait...they cast Heat Wave already?!?

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 24, 2014

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Wait...they cast Heat Wave already?!?

Yes. The running joke is that we need Abruzzi and Arrow's Clock King for a Prison Break reunion.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Wolvorine posted:

I see this point come up a lot, and it's a huge pet peeve of mine. Why can't Flash have dark hair, why can't Superman be black, etc. The reason, for me at least, is a simple matter of Character Fidelity. It's not that they are Important Things (well some can be, relatively, depends on how much you're changing a character), it's that the character is the character, and I feel that when dealing with a character that has established qualities, one should respect them enough not to treat them as expendable without very good reason.

Getting the right actor that is good for the part is a very good reason to change hair color. Funny enough, nitpicking on character design in other media not matching the source comics is a pet peeve of mine. It's a TV show, so they don't exactly have unlimited resources to find the perfect fit for look and acting ability., so I'd rather they just go for the better actor. Better they get someone who actually does the role well, than someone who looks right, but just falls flat.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

zoux posted:

So final ratings were adjusted up a tenth to put it at 1.5. Only a .2 loss vs. the World Series is pretty good!

Is that why the viewership took such a major dip like that? I was a bit surprised given how Arrow did with its third episode, but, fair deuce. Wouldn't have realised since I'm on the other side of the pond.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Astro Nut posted:

Is that why the viewership took such a major dip like that? I was a bit surprised given how Arrow did with its third episode, but, fair deuce. Wouldn't have realised since I'm on the other side of the pond.

That's only .3 down from its debut. That's not a major dip.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Aphrodite posted:

That's only .3 down from its debut. That's not a major dip.

Reason I said viewership - episode 3 of the Flash got 3.59 million viewers, Arrow 3.51 for the same, despite the gap between the two starting out. I realise that its not such a big deal with the key demographic and all, but it seemed noticeable when also compared to the second episode's 4.27. I saw it as being major due to the proportion as well as how it compared to Arrow for retaining viewers.

Edit: Unless you meant .3 of the originally viewership count in which case, then I guess it just seems more notable to me (but given its CW, probably still not so bad).

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Scyantific posted:

Yes. The running joke is that we need Abruzzi and Arrow's Clock King for a Prison Break reunion.

I think Clock King has been confirmed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Wait Superman can't be black? Its an alternate version, you should really just relax

Black Superman is pretty great. He's the President of the US on his world and also his Lex is constantly pissed off because people just assume he's racist.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Scyantific posted:

…Dominic Purcell?!?

Robin Tunney as Golden Glider. Calling it now.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

CobiWann posted:

…Dominic Purcell?!?

Robin Tunney as Golden Glider. Calling it now.

Sara Callis?

What is Stacy Keach up to these days anyways?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
William Fichter as Grodd's voice actor.

Also, I'm looking at The Flash as a Superman analogue just like Arrow is a Batman analogue. "We can't use these characters...what other DC characters are there that can tell the same kinds of stories?"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Also, I'm looking at The Flash as a Superman analogue just like Arrow is a Batman analogue. "We can't use these characters...what other DC characters are there that can tell the same kinds of stories?"

The big difference is Flash has one of the best rogue galleries in comics, and Green Arrow has ??

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

...Rainbow Archer?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

bobkatt013 posted:

The big difference is Flash has one of the best rogue galleries in comics, and Green Arrow has ??

Capitalism.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

The did not exactly execute Komodo well. He was pretty decent the books, but also very recent.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

hi liter posted:

The did not exactly execute Komodo well. He was pretty decent the books, but also very recent.

I said it before, but Arrow needs to bring in Gail Simone's Catman. He's tailormade for that show.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I was considering this, and more specifically who they could substitute for Wonder Woman over the last few days after someone mentioned it a few pages back and I think the closest analogue is probably Powergirl, since she's another super powered female who loves a good fight. It's not really a great match, especially considering her origins in the past have either been dependent on another hero (Superman/Supergirl), alternate universes or just being completely loving crazy - but there aren't many other big name (or even second string) heroines to really go for at the same time. What's odd is, given the Wonder Woman movie's development hell she's probably not really someone who needs to worry about that regardless. Despite being one of the big three and immensely famous as comic's characters go, she's her own analogue in this case.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I said it before, but Arrow needs to bring in Gail Simone's Catman. He's tailormade for that show.

Can you explain why out of interest? Not very familiar with the character beyond the cartoons, never mind her interpretation of him.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 24, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Eh, Green Arrow was never about his rogues. At least, once he grew out of his copy-Batman-at-every-turn phase.

I really, really, really hope they reveal Diggle's middle name to be Stewart and go full tilt GA/GL across America.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bobkatt013 posted:

He runs in normal clothes, too.

Phylodox posted:

In the first episode he ran to Starling City and it literally set his jacket on fire.

SO now they're incredibly inconsistent.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

tsob posted:

Can you explain why? Not very familiar with the character beyond the cartoons, never mind her interpretation of him.

Catman, aka Thomas Blake, started out as Silver Age Batman villain. Afterwards, he became kind of a joke, a fat loser easily beaten by Green Arrow.

During the build-up to Infinite Crisis, Simone made him dark and gritty, which actually worked. After becoming a complete failure, he escaped into African savannah to live with a lion pack, and became an actually cool character, even if it was basically "evil Batman" (he's the son of billionaires who killed his own father).

So you have a character 1) who has no superpowers, which means that he can fit in a more "realistic" adaptation, 2) has a cool name that you can use instead of his cheesy alias ("Blake!"), 3) serves as a perfect foil for the ex-billionaire superhero trained in the wild, and 4) tends to go shirtless.

He was made for Arrow.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 24, 2014

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

jscolon2.0 posted:

I think Clock King has been confirmed.

Yeah he has. I think for the crossover right? Or is the crossover going to Captain Boomerang?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

character, even if it was basically "evil Batman" (he's the son of billionaires who killed his own father).

He was made for Arrow.

It's funny that Arrow is a Billionaire whose father killed himself. :laugh:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I can see where you're going with that, but I dunno if isolating Catman on his own without the rest of the Secret Six to bounce off us will work as well as you think it will. I mean yeah, it might. But so much of what made Catman's honorable nature guy villain thing work was in contrast to Deadshot's cynical urban gun killer thing, Ragdoll's lunacy, and Scandal's desperate attempts to keep it all on track, ya know?

I'm not sold that solo Catman works, in other words.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Drifter posted:

It's funny that Arrow is a Billionaire whose father killed himself. :laugh:

And executed some random crew member which Oliver forgot to mention.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LongDarkNight posted:

Yeah, I couldn't remember that happening, but I didn't know if it was because they didn't show it to us or if I forgot about it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Arrow has already had enough perfect foils in Merlyn and Deathstroke (not sure who the third season's villain is since I'm still going through season two after starting Flash), so personally I'd prefer to see some less perfect ones and more complimentary ones. Seeing him take on someone with actual superpowers, even if relatively low level as a season villain of some kind for instance. That's partially because I actually kind of like heroic Catman as an aging and over-the-hill Batman who mainly uses boxing though, even from my minor exposure to him through the cartoons. I've no idea how he relates to villain Catman however.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

tsob posted:

Arrow has already had enough perfect foils in Merlyn and Deathstroke (not sure who the third season's villain is since I'm still going through season two after starting Flash), so personally I'd prefer to see some less perfect ones and more complimentary ones. Seeing him take on someone with actual superpowers, even if relatively low level as a season villain of some kind for instance. That's partially because I actually kind of like heroic Catman as an aging and over-the-hill Batman who mainly uses boxing though, even from my minor exposure to him through the cartoons. I've no idea how he relates to villain Catman however.

It looks like its the father of a character we met last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LongDarkNight posted:

Well, his whole speech was supposed to make Thea think better of their dad, not worse.

• Locked thread