Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Since I upgraded to Yosemite, I can’t seem to charge my iPhone 5S when connecting it via USB to my 2012 Air. Any idea why? Sometimes it connects for a second, but only that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

ufarn posted:

Since I upgraded to Yosemite, I can’t seem to charge my iPhone 5S when connecting it via USB to my 2012 Air. Any idea why? Sometimes it connects for a second, but only that.

I saw the same on my 2010 Air/5. I think it started charging when I plugged the laptop in, but wouldn't charge when on battery power.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Froist posted:

I saw the same on my 2010 Air/5. I think it started charging when I plugged the laptop in, but wouldn't charge when on battery power.
I’m trying to charge when it’s plugged in, so it can’t be that.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

CygnusTM posted:

For months, Parallels Desktop 8 has been throwing up warnings that it won't work with Yosemite, I won't be able to launch my Windows VMs, and I need to upgrade to 10. Well, guess what? I've upgraded to Yosemite, and everything works just fine. Pure cash grab. Parallels, :fuckoff:.

It didn't work at first because they hadn't updated the apps certificate for 10.10 and they made some post like "we are still deciding if we will do this"

I bought 10 because of their battery life claims which I don't feel are really true at all. I hate this company. Though I feel like a broken record because I think every third post I make on SA is about my hatred for their deception and greed.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

RocketLunatic posted:

I got that pop up for Amazon cloud - installed the version of Java it links to and all is well.

You probably have a menu bar utility built in Java. Start there.

It just popped up like 3 times randomly and I have no idea what process is doing it. The only non-Apple thing in my menu bar is dropbox.

There's gotta be a log somewhere or something I can find in Activity Monitor?

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

It just popped up like 3 times randomly and I have no idea what process is doing it. The only non-Apple thing in my menu bar is dropbox.

That is weird. The only other thing I can think of is a backup process - like Crashplan - or even some sort of remote login utility like LogMeIn. Or it may be just telling you that it's time to upgrade Java if your version is old.

As I have gone along, I've noticed lots of little annoying things, but Yosemite is still 95% awesome. Continuity doesn't work consistently - it kicks in randomly sometimes. I've noticed that windows open up in the background a lot more often. iCloud has had a few glitches but is working alright. I have had to restart at least once each day because of something goofy happening (like not being able to login to my online banking site). But those are getting less.

I am looking forward to 10.10.1.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Adobe CS5 and 6 require it, much to my annoyance. :argh:

gently caress people, ditch Java already!

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
About how long should it take for the "copy Yosemite installer to USB" process to finish? The thumb drive's access light is still blinking, but Terminal's been stuck on "Copying installer files to disk..." for a good half hour at this point.

Edit: Welp, the second I hit post it finished up. :haw:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
For the notification center on Yosemite, is there anyway to toggle between "today" and "notifications" besides moving the pointer over and clicking? I like the concept, but switching between them is irritating.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

spongeworthy posted:

I really want to like Safari but its privacy and cookie management is horrible. Is there really no way to clear the browsing history without removing cookies as well? And I can't whitelist certain sites from which to accept cookies?

It seems like a great browser in most other respects.

Choose Reset Safari... from the Safari application menu and only check "Clear History".

Or go to History -> Clear History...

Tested both of these options and cookies aren't touched.

The Safari Cookies extension may help with managing the cookies for you: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/31018/safari-cookies

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Shin-chan posted:

Choose Reset Safari... from the Safari application menu and only check "Clear History".

The Safari Cookies extension may help with managing the cookies for you: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/31018/safari-cookies

I don't believe this is the answer. I have been cursing this issue, too.

When you go to either of the places you specified, the ONLY options are "Clear history and Website data". You can choose an hour, or a day, or longer, etc...

but there is no option to JUST clear history and leave cookies alone. It's annoying as poo poo.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Shin-chan posted:

I will try the cookie manager extension, thank you for that - I didn't see that when searching.

As pointed out above by Feenix, there is no Reset option on the latest Safari. I'm not sure about older versions because I've been using strictly FireFox for so many years. The option to remove history independent of cookies seems to have been removed from iOS as well, now.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Tis a shame that we'll never get up to 10.10.10 for updates.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!
You can still:

History > Show History
cmd-a
delete

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

spongeworthy posted:

I will try the cookie manager extension, thank you for that - I didn't see that when searching.

As pointed out above by Feenix, there is no Reset option on the latest Safari. I'm not sure about older versions because I've been using strictly FireFox for so many years. The option to remove history independent of cookies seems to have been removed from iOS as well, now.

This was partially my fault. I was on a 10.9 computer, it was early, I wasn't quite thinking, and I thought how could this guy not know this.

Yes, a change was made in 10.10. You can still do as Mikey says, select all of you history and press delete.

I think the change has something to do with the fact that all Safari data is now synchronized across iCloud to all devices.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Trying to track down why I get "to view this web content you need to install the Java Runtime Environment" dialog, without having a browser open. How can I see which process is trying to start java so I can get rid of it?

E: also how long is it supposed to take to update the iPhoto library? It's been at it for like 3-4 hrs now.

E2: Still going, has been stuck at what looks like 90-some percent since I posted.
IIRC you need this

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572

It's a separate update from the main java install for something else.
Without that update from apple you'd literally still get that prompt even if you have java 8 installed.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I long for the day when we can finally uninstall Flash on our Macs. Given that every major browser has EME support, there's no excuse to serve video using Flash any more.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I just tried using my bluetooth headphones for the first time since installing Yosemite and it's all over the place. Audio speeding up/slowing down constantly to the point of being unusable, and drops completely for up to a second when I open a new tab/scroll a long document/switch spaces. Looks like I'm not alone, but there doesn't seem to be a "fix" yet. :(

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

DaNzA posted:

IIRC you need this

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572

It's a separate update from the main java install for something else.
Without that update from apple you'd literally still get that prompt even if you have java 8 installed.

oh man if this works

e: I did run the thing and so help me if it doesn't work I swear I will probably make a really nasty post in here

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 24, 2014

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

spongeworthy posted:

Anyone tried a Snuglet before? The MagSafe power cord on this new MBP keeps popping out pretty easily compared to my old mac. It's a bit expensive at $19 but I'm gonna give it a shot.

Trip report: works as advertised and is perfect for those times when moving around easily disconnected the MagSafe, and still passed the "trip test" of not yanking my mac to the ground when purposely triggered by leg.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TinTower posted:

I long for the day when we can finally uninstall Flash on our Macs. Given that every major browser has EME support, there's no excuse to serve video using Flash any more.

What do you still use that needs Flash? Just curious.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Am I correct in saying that Airmail:

*Has upgraded to version 2
*Version 1.* does not and will not ever support Yosemite
*Even if you bought version 1, you need to pay more money for version 2 (multiple times what version 1 cost)

If so, gently caress that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

flosofl posted:

YouTube (sometimes) and some other video sites

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

flosofl posted:

Stupid crap on Newgrounds.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I still have flash, but I also have clicktoplugin which I cannot recommend enogh for those edge cases.

I long for the day where I can finally shed Java and Flash and emerge like a beautiful butterfly

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I still have flash, but I also have clicktoplugin which I cannot recommend enogh for those edge cases.

I long for the day where I can finally shed Java and Flash and emerge like a beautiful butterfly

ClicktoFlash? Or is this an entirely different extension? Because I love ClickToFlash.

I unfortunately have Flash as well, but the only site I absolutely need it for is this unholy abomination that is a security appliance GUI interface (which is a bit ironic given some of the past Flash security issues). YouTube has been running fine using HTML5 for me(so far).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

flosofl posted:

ClicktoFlash? Or is this an entirely different extension? Because I love ClickToFlash.

I unfortunately have Flash as well, but the only site I absolutely need it for is this unholy abomination that is a security appliance GUI interface (which is a bit ironic given some of the past Flash security issues). YouTube has been running fine using HTML5 for me(so far).

i think its this one i have but to be honest i installed it years ago and my memory is poo poo:

http://hoyois.github.io/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/

its like clicktoflash but for all plugins basically

i still need java for online banking (shaking my damned head in the year of our lord 2014) and i only really notice the flash block part of it when adblock doesnt catch something.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Clicktoplugin is just clicktoflash but it lets you block other kinds of plugins.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

flosofl posted:

BBC iPlayer.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Has anyone else had problems with their trackpad since upgrading to Yosemite? I have a mid-2011 MBA if that matters. Before the update I rarely had any issues, but now I'm having them constantly.

Just using two fingers to scroll ends up with a click like 70% of the time with tap to click enabled. I've always used tap to click with almost zero issues but now I'm apparently unable to scroll without clicking/highlighting poo poo. Even with tap to click disabled it STILL screws up and clicks on occasion despite not pressing the trackpad in to click.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
There's also a "Open in Chrome" Safari extension and Chrome has its own sandboxed version of Flash (or something like that). Not the most elegant solution, but it also works.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Haters Objector posted:

Am I correct in saying that Airmail:

*Has upgraded to version 2
*Version 1.* does not and will not ever support Yosemite
*Even if you bought version 1, you need to pay more money for version 2 (multiple times what version 1 cost)

If so, gently caress that.

It would appear that all of these things are true. gently caress that for real.

Airmail posted:

Will Airmail 2.x be a free update?
No, due to Apple’s current setup, there are no paid updates in the Mac App Store, so the app must be purchased again. Airmail 2.0 will continue to receive free updates and new features.

I'm not paying another $10 for an app that I bought not 2 months ago.

E: Looks like the beta is still available, though.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 25, 2014

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Has anyone else had problems with their trackpad since upgrading to Yosemite? I have a mid-2011 MBA if that matters. Before the update I rarely had any issues, but now I'm having them constantly.

Just using two fingers to scroll ends up with a click like 70% of the time with tap to click enabled. I've always used tap to click with almost zero issues but now I'm apparently unable to scroll without clicking/highlighting poo poo. Even with tap to click disabled it STILL screws up and clicks on occasion despite not pressing the trackpad in to click.

this happened to me quite a bit last year and I had to have the trackpad replaced.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

flosofl posted:

vSphere Web Client :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is Yosemite Mail causing anyone grief with Exchange accounts?

I've got two Exchange (one 2010, one 2013) accounts set up with two different companies, and just over the past week each one has started prompting me for a password randomly. It'll fail, work, fail, work, fail, work with no apparent rhyme or reason. I would understand it it worked worked worked and then never worked again (like it corrupted the password or something) but this is just maddening.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.

Martytoof posted:

I've got two Exchange (one 2010, one 2013) accounts set up with two different companies, and just over the past week each one has started prompting me for a password randomly. It'll fail, work, fail, work, fail, work with no apparent rhyme or reason. I would understand it it worked worked worked and then never worked again (like it corrupted the password or something) but this is just maddening.

Yes—for me, it refuses to send outgoing mail on my Exchange account at random times. I've decided to just switch to Airmail, which works fine.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

dik-dik posted:

It would appear that all of these things are true. gently caress that for real.

I'm not paying another $10 for an app that I bought not 2 months ago.

E: Looks like the beta is still available, though.

I was a bit miffed about it as well; bought Airmail and then Airmail 2 comes out without any prior notice of the paid upgrade. They stated they were working on the new version but I assumed it was just an update.

Due to the way Apple's store works, you can't offer upgrades nor reduced pricing for prior customers. They chose to ensure a revenue stream but I am not sure it was the best choice due to reactions on Twitter and these forums.

Regardless, I bought Airmail 2 and it is quite amazing compared to 1.x. The engine they tout is much improved with speed of operations. The application is much more responsive and *finally* asks to load remote images. It is what I've been looking for since Sparrow went away.

Still sucks to pay $10 again... As a developer I understand; it takes many hours to create software. Many, many hours.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

jink posted:

I was a bit miffed about it as well; bought Airmail and then Airmail 2 comes out without any prior notice of the paid upgrade. They stated they were working on the new version but I assumed it was just an update.

Due to the way Apple's store works, you can't offer upgrades nor reduced pricing for prior customers. They chose to ensure a revenue stream but I am not sure it was the best choice due to reactions on Twitter and these forums.

Regardless, I bought Airmail 2 and it is quite amazing compared to 1.x. The engine they tout is much improved with speed of operations. The application is much more responsive and *finally* asks to load remote images. It is what I've been looking for since Sparrow went away.

Still sucks to pay $10 again... As a developer I understand; it takes many hours to create software. Many, many hours.

I know nothing about how the Apple Store works, but was there no way for them to simply continue from the old Apple Store entry instead of having a new one? Like, I didn't have to pay again to upgrade from 1.3 to 1.4; couldn't it be the exact same system to go from 1.4 to 2.0?

Also I'd probably be less mad if the Airmail 2 betas hadn't been running like total rear end for the past few months.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 25, 2014

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

ZShakespeare posted:

this happened to me quite a bit last year and I had to have the trackpad replaced.

Ugh. Thanks for the help. Not looking forward to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Martytoof posted:

I got locked out for too many failed password attempts the other day, and unless someone is trying to brute force my password very slowly, it was absolutely mail that did it.