Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
No one has ever responded to my posts in here asking for resume advice and stuff (I guess my resume was too good already, HEH) but I just accepted my first job offer. I'm a front-end software engineer, omg. Compensation is 80k (NYC). It only took me about 4 weeks from when I started applying.

I was really scared of technical interviews, but it turns out they're not so bad at all. I fielded a lot of technical questions and it was all ok, but I do know my Javascript fairly well. I did not read any of Cracking the Coding Interview. None of it.

By the way, I went to Dev Bootcamp and have been working as a coach (teaching assistant) there for a few months post-graduation. I think doing that work has absolutely been the biggest help in regards to being able to discuss/explain programming things. If anyone wants to talk coding bootcamps, I'm happy to share my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
I'm proud of you spats! Hope the job is good.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

spatula posted:

... I just accepted my first job offer. I'm a front-end software engineer, omg. Compensation is 80k (NYC). It only took me about 4 weeks from when I started applying.

Congrats! Glad to have another front-end engineer goon employed. In Austin, in 2008 I started out at $35k, so you're doing much better than that. It took me 4 years to reach your salary level.

External recruiters are terrible, I probably won't get a job through them anyway, and I'm tired of doing interviews only to find out salary negotiations start way below my current salary (just moved to San Diego from Austin). So instead of withholding my current salary number, I've started just giving it as soon as they ask. Some entertaining responses:

"None of my people make that much, even with 10 years of enterprise experience."
"Whoa, that's a lot of money. Do you get benefits?"
"Well, company X is willing to pay $30k less than that for the absolute best person. Still interested?"

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
October's almost over, which means it's time for me to start applying for summer 2015 internships. One of my friends gets to circumvent that because they just accepted a job offer from Google and will be joining the Youtube team, yay!

Anyway, I've revised my resume a bunch since the last time I asked this thread for advice, so here it is again for savaging if anybody feels up to it. I'm shooting for a resume to phone screen conversion rate greater than zero this time around.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Steely Glint posted:

Anyway, I've revised my resume a bunch since the last time I asked this thread for advice, so here it is again for savaging if anybody feels up to it. I'm shooting for a resume to phone screen conversion rate greater than zero this time around.

It could just be me, but I would write "<Verbed> a desktop application" in place of "A desktop application" in a few places.

Is the "Dead Person Memorial Programming Contest" really from 2007? Is it from middle school?

I don't care if you learned some irrelevant thing as a research assistant. Please tell me what you did and what you accomplished. You presumably did work of some kind, right? It's in the experience section and not the education section, after all.

I'm confused and annoyed by the projects section. The first project is lame, it's a class project, but you're applying for an internship position, so maybe that's OK. The second project makes no sense. It is not under the Big Defense Company job section?

Joe Law
Jun 30, 2008

If we are posting our resumes, I would like to do the same. I've applied to a decent amount of positions so far (30+) for an even mix of Android, Web and Data Science, but I've only gotten callbacks for Data Visualization or Data Science positions. I don't mind this, but I was wondering if my resume came off too academic and if I wasn't communicating my ability to code enough. Any advice appreciated.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

yoctoontologist posted:

It seems like there hasn't been much discussion of coding bootcamps in this thread for quite a while, so I'll throw this out there: I just got accepted to App Academy in NYC. I'm having second thoughts about whether it's actually a good idea to take the offer. On the one hand, the amount they get paid is directly tied to the amount I make after graduating, which distinguishes them from most other bootcamps, and it seems like it aligns their incentives with mine. On the other hand, there's no independent source I can look to to confirm their employment/salary figures, and the number of bootcamps out there has exploded in the past year, which makes me worry that the market is being flooded.

I currently have a technical but non-programming-related job that I want to leave for various reasons, and I've learned some Ruby/Rails/JS on my own, but not enough to build anything serious. If it works out the way it's supposed to, I would definitely consider it worthwhile, but I don't want to sink a bunch of time and lost pay on something unproven. Does anyone have any real-world knowledge that sheds any light on this?

curious about your experience

Tomahawk fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 14, 2019

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Joe Law posted:

If we are posting our resumes, I would like to do the same. I've applied to a decent amount of positions so far (30+) for an even mix of Android, Web and Data Science, but I've only gotten callbacks for Data Visualization or Data Science positions. I don't mind this, but I was wondering if my resume came off too academic and if I wasn't communicating my ability to code enough. Any advice appreciated.

That Vim plugin seems really cool. Do you mind posting up a link to it? In regards to feedback, maybe you could have a skills section where you list the languages you learned? I do get a sort of overall academic feel off of your resume, but I'm not quite sure why....

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

sarehu posted:

I'm confused and annoyed by the projects section. The first project is lame, it's a class project, but you're applying for an internship position, so maybe that's OK. The second project makes no sense. It is not under the Big Defense Company job section?
Thanks for the criticism, it's helpful!
First project is lame, yes, but it was a ~team effort~ using ~software development practices~ and thus was worth including? I don't know why I'm concerned about coming off as a lone wolf hax0r type seeing as I'm just a lovely student coder but that was my rationale.
I'll work on explicating the second project more clearly. For some context, I developed it for an engineer I briefly worked with while doing my internship, but it wasn't actually supervised or paid for by the company. They were just like "Hey I remember you from X, can you do this thing for me?" and I said yes and did it. I did think it would look/flow better if I put it under the internship heading, but I felt like that would be falsifying my work history or something.

Joe Law posted:

Any advice appreciated.
Here are a few hairs to split:
Instead of B.A, write out Bachelor of Arts.
Make your periods consistent - some lines end with them but others don't.
Use concurrent instead of co-current. Actually I feel like that line should be rewritten, because it sounds like you're saying the stress testing itself was the factor that improved load times.
You might be getting rejected by resume screeners because they don't see a skills section stocked with the languages asked for in the job posting. (preemptive edit: concur with above post)

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I think a clear listing of your SKILLS (languages and technologies you're familiar with) should really be front and center on resumes. Don't make people go all the way to the bottom or read all your descriptions just to get that information.

Here's my resume since I've had good feedback on it and I've gotten a job now. Feel free to steal any ideas.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Got a second round done, and I'm currently anticipating a do-yourself-at-home-project email. :woop: It's an international social media marketing firm.

It's a place that does tons of angular.js but is otherwise a .NET shop. They actually have code reviews, testing, use TFS, etc - I'm not about to make the same mistakes I did getting with a drat government job. One thing I wonder though, is just how in demand angular.js is. They'll be having me use it a lot.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

gently caress them posted:

One thing I wonder though, is just how in demand angular.js is. They'll be having me use it a lot.

Angular is pretty popular at a lot of places and is backed by Google. I don't expect it to be disappearing very soon.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Angular has been listed on 90% of the front-end developer job postings I have looked at. In addition to many well experienced front-end devs loving it, it's the go-to framework for full-stack engineers, freelancers, designers, or anyone who doesn't have a lot of experience developing large JavaScript apps. If you can become an expert, I'm sure you'll have plenty of work for years to come helping companies pick up where those inexperienced devs left off.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
I've been full stack for as long as I've been working full time, so that's good to hear!

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I know a phone screen is nothing to be excited about, but...
I just got an email informing me of my first phone screen ever! With Google! I didn't think I could be this excited!

And in a week or two, I know I'll be similarly impressed by the depth of cavern of despair I'm going to fall into when they reject me. Still, thanks for existing, thread! You all rock.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

Got a second round done, and I'm currently anticipating a do-yourself-at-home-project email. :woop: It's an international social media marketing firm.

It's a place that does tons of angular.js but is otherwise a .NET shop. They actually have code reviews, testing, use TFS, etc - I'm not about to make the same mistakes I did getting with a drat government job. One thing I wonder though, is just how in demand angular.js is. They'll be having me use it a lot.

I remember reading your saga in this thread back when you got the gov job. It was around when I got my first job as well. I'm sad that didn't work out for you fellow got-a-new-job-in-first-half-of-2014 goon.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Steely Glint posted:

I just got an email informing me of my first phone screen ever! With Google! I didn't think I could be this excited!

And in a week or two, I know I'll be similarly impressed by the depth of cavern of despair I'm going to fall into when they reject me. Still, thanks for existing, thread! You all rock.
You should practice with someone first. Preferably more than once if you can swing it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steely Glint posted:

I have one tomorrow and I don't even really understand what the job is so it could go horribly wrong but we'll see.

Good luck Google phone interview buddy!

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Good luck Google phone interview people! Over the past few weeks I've had two phone interviews with Google for an internship (which I passed), so now I'm sitting by my email waiting to hear the results from the hiring committee :ohdear:

Edit: The best advice I got was to practice programming in a plain text file.

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 24, 2014

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

For those of you gearing up for Google interviews, do keep in mind that there's a lot of randomness in Google's interview process and you can easily get rejected even if your skills are great. By all means prepare and work hard, but don't get too discouraged if it doesn't work out. In particular, don't take it as a referendum on your abilities--the system will reject a lot of good candidates by design.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Good luck to you too Google phone interview buddy! They chose to interview you for the position so they think you're qualified in one way or another.

re: advice - thanks! I'm practicing writing Python in Google Docs right now and have some willing victims lined up for practice tomorrow and the day after. If there's one thing I've learned how to do in university it's how to study for a test :colbert:

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

My Google hiring committee met yesterday, so I'm waiting to hear the results from my recruiter. Basically sitting here wringing my hands. He better tell me the result today :(

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
I heard back from my recruiter!

"... didn't get the opportunity to review applications by today, but we hope to have the results soon."

I feel like I'm in Hell's Kitchen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPpzJAzdpTU

If one of you ends up working for Gmail, could you maybe do something about preview cutting off at the worst possible point?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tunga posted:

I have one tomorrow and I don't even really understand what the job is so it could go horribly wrong but we'll see.
So I think it mostly went okay. It's a kind of support/consultant role where you know all about Android (APIs and internally) and other relevant Google services and work with their partners (carriers/OEMs), but you don't actually write much code yourself. It's actually a pretty good fit for my experience but I'm also just about breaking into Android dev (one year of experience) and I love coding so I'm slightly torn. I'm thinking it could be a good way to get close to Google's engineering teams and try to make that jump later. But I could also just get a dev job somewhere else and build more directly relevant experience.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 24, 2014

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Zephonith posted:

"... didn't get the opportunity to review applications by today, but we hope to have the results soon."

I feel like I'm in Hell's Kitchen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPpzJAzdpTU

If one of you ends up working for Gmail, could you maybe do something about preview cutting off at the worst possible point?

Jesus Christ, I would have had a heart attack

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Google on-site interview confirmed :dance: .

Question for the thread, I was asked how I would solve the following problem:

"Given a document and an integer x, find the most frequently occurring word in the document of length x."

This wasn't a written coding exercise, I was just asked to describe my solution. I said (in a bit more detail than this) that I would use a hash table to keep track of the number of times each word appears (ignoring any with the wrong length) and each time I increment a value I would check it against the current highest seen value. At the end you immediately have your result.

He seemed okay with this answer. Are there any better ways to do it?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Zephonith posted:

Feature. Maximizing the page views with a guaranteed click through

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Tunga posted:

Google on-site interview confirmed :dance: .

Question for the thread, I was asked how I would solve the following problem:

"Given a document and an integer x, find the most frequently occurring word in the document of length x."

This wasn't a written coding exercise, I was just asked to describe my solution. I said (in a bit more detail than this) that I would use a hash table to keep track of the number of times each word appears (ignoring any with the wrong length) and each time I increment a value I would check it against the current highest seen value. At the end you immediately have your result.

He seemed okay with this answer. Are there any better ways to do it?

IDK if it's necessarily 'better' but you could construct a trie with constant depth and store word count in leaf nodes. You might save on memory, depending on how hashes work in your system and how big and varied the document is. Also it impresses people who like trees.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 24, 2014

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
The question gets much more interesting if there can be multiple most common words. Was it really phrased like that?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skuto posted:

The question gets much more interesting if there can be multiple most common words. Was it really phrased like that?
That wasn't specified. It wasn't something that we spent a lot of time on, he just asked me how I'd approach it. The only follow-up question he asked was "when splitting out each word, what issues would you need to consider" to which I said about punctuation and hyphens and needing to define how those are handled. It wasn't a dev interview so I think he was okay with any generally sensible approach. Seems to have got me through anyway.

A trie is an interesting approach. I have to admit that it's not a data structure we were ever taught and I've never had any reason to use one so it's not really something that ever comes to mind.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Do not stop looking, period, even if you've set up a final interview.

I kept pushing and found that some jobs who were wary about talking to me me because I am out of state, but they are now a lot more interested since I'm coming up for an interview in a week. This has paid off since one of the bites was a pretty big company that likes what they know about me and wants to take me under their wing to do security stuff, granted I don't gently caress up an interview. :holy:

Also if any RTP goons are lurking here, hi, see you in a week. I've missed the hell out of Raleigh.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
So I've had a bit of interest over the past couple of weeks and done a few interviews. So far one place got back to me, small team (2 people right now on dev team) and I liked them both. They said I did really well on the whiteboard question, and that they think I show promise etc. but then told me that they need someone a bit more senior and mentioned that if I could read through a couple of books they linked and make a project with those things in mind that they would happily talk to me again. So, no job, but very cool of them.

However, my current spot is that I have some dude in Germany who runs some kind of creative firm talking to me. He wants my "CV" and some references. What is the protocol for these things in Western Europe? Should I make any significant changes to my presentation layer? Do they want a mix of personal/managers/coworkers here for references or what?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Do not stop looking, period, even if you've set up a final interview.

I kept pushing and found that some jobs who were wary about talking to me me because I am out of state, but they are now a lot more interested since I'm coming up for an interview in a week. This has paid off since one of the bites was a pretty big company that likes what they know about me and wants to take me under their wing to do security stuff, granted I don't gently caress up an interview. :holy:

Also if any RTP goons are lurking here, hi, see you in a week. I've missed the hell out of Raleigh.

What kind of security stuff?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The March Hare posted:

However, my current spot is that I have some dude in Germany who runs some kind of creative firm talking to me. He wants my "CV" and some references. What is the protocol for these things in Western Europe? Should I make any significant changes to my presentation layer? Do they want a mix of personal/managers/coworkers here for references or what?

I'm guessing that you're not an EU citizen based on you putting "CV" in quotes, as that's basically "resume" in that part of the world. Given that, you have a lot of immigration and other nonsense to deal with, but Germans are very easy-going. Working directly with Germans, I can tell you that they are on vacation almost as much as they are in the office, or at least it seems that way. If you can land the job and you are given the same benefits as actual citizens, you are on easy street. References are people who you trust to say that you're great and don't have any blatantly obvious personal bias to recommend you.

Moving on, what's a presentation layer?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I think he's referring to the resume formatting?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

baquerd posted:

Moving on, what's a presentation layer?

Biz Dev

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Cicero posted:

I think he's referring to the resume formatting?

Yeah, I just meant do Euros do the whole 12 page resume thing or should I mostly stick to what American HR expects?

e; & yeah, US citizen who speaks not even a single phrasebook line of German but I told the dude this and he is still, evidently, interested.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Two pages is standard in most of Europe, you can go bigger but don't unless you have a lot of very relevant experience to list.

A lot of tech companies in Germany run English-speaking offices because they recruit from across Europe and almost everyone learns English and speaks it better than German.

This also carries over to every day life. Berlin, for example, is very diverse in terms of the people you'll meet. It's not uncommon to see groups with mixtures of German, French, Czech, Polish, Russian, etc. all sat in a bar conversing in English. Most people speak reasonable German too and you'll pick that up just by living there but you don't really need it. Other cities may vary, of course.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Tunga posted:

A trie is an interesting approach. I have to admit that it's not a data structure we were ever taught and I've never had any reason to use one so it's not really something that ever comes to mind.

I wrote one for fun like 5 years ago or else I'd never have used one, either, but the kind of ridiculous specificity of only looking at four character strings stuck out as the interviewer hoping you'd think of a way to optimize the solution based on that for some hidden bonus points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The March Hare posted:

Yeah, I just meant do Euros do the whole 12 page resume thing or should I mostly stick to what American HR expects?

e; & yeah, US citizen who speaks not even a single phrasebook line of German but I told the dude this and he is still, evidently, interested.

Do you have a good link to a good German job board? I wouldn't mind applying there as I speak the language(poorly) and wouldn't mind getting away from the States.