Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Godholio posted:

Verified how? Most spare parts aren't made of thermite.

I'm helping with a book on the subject, this was from an interview with the involved pilot. There's a lot of good material on the whole Libya thing that's only going to come out starting now, due in no small part to the fact that many of the pilots involved refused to be named and interviewed until the fall of the Qadhafi regime. There was a very real fear that Qadhafi would attempt revenge killings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Red Crown posted:

I'm helping with a book on the subject, this was from an interview with the involved pilot.

See, that's how you know it's bullshit.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Oil refinery? That was a sewage treatment works.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

See, that's how you know it's bullshit.

Yeah, unless there's corroborating gun camera film or post-strike BDA, I'm going to have a tough time swallowing a story that's the epitome of "So there I was..."

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Video of a restored P-51 Mustang with operational .50 cal machine guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niJ82YCiuYU

They sounds glorious.

e: More info about the plane: http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/this-p-51-mustang-restoration-includes-operational-50c-1647964258

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Sadly, the P51 has been rendered obsolete by the F16s armed with 32 Mavericks, 8 Sidewinder, and the Hades.

That's loving awesome, someone make a 109 and let's fight

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Dark Helmut posted:

Sadly, the P51 has been rendered obsolete by the F16s armed with 32 Mavericks, 8 Sidewinder, and the Hades.

That's loving awesome, someone make a 109 and let's fight

Your F16s won't even be able to turn on after a nuke EMPs their computers :colbert:.

Coincidentally, I'd love to see that happen in a movie. Hey Hollywood, post apocalyptic P-51s dog fighting against North Korean fighter jets and winning please, thanks.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Battleship 2: Now with authentic P-51s flying in formation over the Mississippi, also crewed by the hardest dudes we could find in the nursing home.

Fuckit, I'd get plastered and watch it. the first one was hilarious even if it didn't try to be. Battleship drifting

Arrath fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 24, 2014

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Your F16s won't even be able to turn on after a nuke EMPs their computers :colbert:.

Coincidentally, I'd love to see that happen in a movie. Hey Hollywood, post apocalyptic P-51s dog fighting against North Korean fighter jets and winning please, thanks.

I think this exists in cartoon form. Either that or childhood me halucinated a lot. I just remember it involved some kind of warp gate thing or something and loving awesome WW2 airplanes flown by crusty old vets and it was pretty much every nation and they were all kicking the living poo poo out of aliens or soemthing.

It was pretty much ( :krad: + :frogsiren: ) ^ :catdrugs: rolled up and then smoked through a spitfire's carburetor.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 24, 2014

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Wasn't that movie called Iron Eagle III?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2DAry5gaY0

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think this exists in cartoon form. Either that or childhood me halucinated a lot. I just remember it involved some kind of warp gate thing or something and loving awesome WW2 airplanes flown by crusty old vets and it was pretty much every nation and they were all kicking the living poo poo out of aliens or soemthing.

It was pretty much ( :krad: + :frogsiren: ) ^ :catdrugs: rolled up and then smoked through a spitfire's carburetor.

I remember this one from ages ago:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080736/

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, unless there's corroborating gun camera film or post-strike BDA, I'm going to have a tough time swallowing a story that's the epitome of "So there I was..."

When I go to work next week I'll try to dig up some evidence to corroborate it specifically. The post-strike BDA should be declassified now, and I know we have that sort of thing laying around.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hahahahahh holy poo poo I managed to google it up! Turns out it wasn't just WW2 aircraft, indeed most of them were modern jets, although in typical fashion I just hardcore fixated on the old WW2 poo poo.

It was Ring Raiders. There was a line of awful little toys and everything.

god bless the 80s and the drugs that made this possible posted:

Set in the year 1998, the world is on the brink of a cataclysmic war. An organization dedicated to taking over the world, through the brutal use of air power, is about to realize its goal. It is known as the "Skull Squadron", founded by a band of renegades whose planes are capable of time travel. These pilots fall in love with the power they hold and see that they can use their planes to take control of the world. There are always pilots who, twisted by war's cruelties, are willing to join the Skull Squadron, causing it to grow bigger and more dangerous. In the 1990s, Skull Squadron is finally powerful enough to scramble for the master mission in its bid for world domination.

By now, almost too late, the great nations of the world are aware of Skull Squadron's plot. They band together to produce an aircraft that gives them a fighting chance against the onslaught—the Justice-class air carrier, which can travel through time. The carrier is outfitted with a small crew, then sent back in time. The Justice crew beams the best planes and pilots right out of history's greatest air battles to train them to fight against the Skull Squadron.

edit:

:haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMguVxjSkx0

~ring raiders~ we're faster than time ~ring raiders~ were faster than crime

edit x2: oh hell yes, I KNEW I remembered WW2 being in there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a8kBqV8SiM

I remember a young me totally sperging the gently caress out about how they got the F4F's landing gear correct because this was early WW2 and holy poo poo they're actually featuring a Wildcat and not that over-hyped Hellcat bullshit I mean seriously the F4F was fighting off the Japanese when the pilots were still good and of course the F6F had a butt load of kills it's easy when the IJAAF is just throwing waves of trainees at you a la Marianas Turkey Shoot and :spergin:

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 24, 2014

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

They sounds glorious.

e: More info about the plane: http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/this-p-51-mustang-restoration-includes-operational-50c-1647964258

My god that must be a big pain in the rear end to set up. Headspace and timing on 6 M2s? Ugh. I pretty rarely had to mess with the timing mechanism behind the trigger plate but I remember hating it immensely.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Admiral Bosch posted:

My god that must be a big pain in the rear end to set up. Headspace and timing on 6 M2s? Ugh. I pretty rarely had to mess with the timing mechanism behind the trigger plate but I remember hating it immensely.

Of course the pilot is the one who gets the satisfaction of the massive erection when he gets to light them all off at the same time.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
When I was a little kid I got to sit in the cockpit of one of the fake Kate torpedo bombers used in Tora! Tora! Tora! that arrived early for an airshow. The owners even let me fire off the machine guns.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Admiral Bosch posted:

It wasn't the biggest chore in the world, if I recall correctly, but it still could be a pain in the butt. Thankfully you didn't have to do it often.

Of course, that's assuming you're not doing it the way our master gunner said was the way you're technically supposed to do it: Make an adjustment, put the plate back on and try the trigger, take the plate off, make an adjustment, put the plate back on....

If you do it that way, you're either really bored or you're being graded.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Admiral Bosch posted:

Imagine the joy it would have been with the 8 M2s that were in the P-47.

That said, wouldn't America's titanic logistic system allow maintenance crews to have a stock of ready guns to switch in quickly for ones having issues?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Also, aren't a lot of the M2s in service today rather old? Like, several decades old? Would stand to reason that they may not have been so troublesome when they were fresh off the assembly line.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Upgrade it with M3Ps :getin:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Eh, that's sorta been done before (with the Twin Mustang).

Use GAU-19s instead.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Gotta fit in the wings and be somewhat authentic :colbert:

(No idea if the M3 is actually bigger than the M2)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Somebody found a bunch of (license built Spanish) 109Gs that have been in a barn in Texas since the 60s after being used for filming apparently.

http://www.platinumfighters.com/#!ha-1112-m1l/c12zi

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Holy poo poo that's some spare parts!

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

Party Plane Jones posted:

Somebody found a bunch of (license built Spanish) 109Gs that have been in a barn in Texas since the 60s after being used for filming apparently.

http://www.platinumfighters.com/#!ha-1112-m1l/c12zi

These actually are cold war aircraft. They are Spanish HA-1112s, an Me-109 with a Merlin engine. The Spanish kept them in service into the early sixties, and the were use in a ground attack role in North Africa. They were acquired for the movie "Battle of Britain", which also made use of their He-111 variant the CASA-2.111.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'm assuming they were reengined as opposed to made new with the Merlins after the war?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm assuming they were reengined as opposed to made new with the Merlins after the war?

Nope, the HA-1112s were new-built aircraft, with surplus engines and props from the UK. The 2.111s were re-engined, though.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Fearless posted:

That said, wouldn't America's titanic logistic system allow maintenance crews to have a stock of ready guns to switch in quickly for ones having issues?

After every time you clean the gun, the headspace and timing needs to be reset.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Fearless posted:

Imagine the joy it would have been with the 8 M2s that were in the P-47.

Some Hawker Hurricanes, as well as the Hawker Typhoon prototype, were equipped with twelve .303-caliber machine guns.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Are they as headspace/timing sensitive as M2s, though?

It's always fun to hear "test fire test fire test fire!" on the range and then "BLAOW.........................gently caress....."

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

mlmp08 posted:

Are they as headspace/timing sensitive as M2s, though?

No idea. I post here, but I'm more about the planes than the guns. :v:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

They sounds glorious.

I'm amazed he was allowed to do that. My understanding is that the FAA takes a dim view of armed aircraft in private hands.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I was also confused about that. Given that the video shows a paper target with holes in it, I take it they aren't fitted with blank adapters?

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm amazed he was allowed to do that. My understanding is that the FAA takes a dim view of armed aircraft in private hands.

I read an article saying that he is a FFL licensed dealer, only had the real guns installed to test-fire on the ground, and replaced them with the inert weapons for flight. Yeah, he didn't fly around with armed and functional M2s.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Dude's got a fully armed P-51. What's the FAA gonna do to stop him? Get an Me-262?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

McNally posted:

Dude's got a fully armed P-51. What's the FAA gonna do to stop him? Get an Me-262?

Maybe?

edit: i wish crazy/rich people like Howard Hughes were still around so they could fund an entire fleet of P-51s and Me-262s and make a film about it.

Doctor Grape Ape fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 25, 2014

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Maybe?

edit: i wish crazy/rich people like Howard Hughes were still around so they could fund an entire fleet of P-51s and Me-262s and make a film about it.

But will it be armed?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

McNally posted:

Good luck with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDmqwLqiWj0

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

McNally posted:

The world's saddest Air National Guard pilot cries a single tear as he's forced to blow a fully restored P-51 out of the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

The world's saddest Air National Guard pilot cries a single tear as he's forced to blow a fully restored P-51 out of the sky.

Yeah but he'd be flying an Me-262 so he can't be that sad.